Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3g - Anyone having Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 exterminator447

when are tesco mobile going to start doing webtext and is it going to be for Irish Mobiles only or Worldwide SMS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

when are tesco mobile going to start doing webtext and is it going to be for Irish Mobiles only or Worldwide SMS

Hi Exterminator,

Likely to be inplace before the summer. Dont know for sure yet what the solution is based on so cant say what the functionality will be. Will keep you updated here and on our facebook page.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

My work will never be done Emo :D

Proxy removal is hopefully this Thu. Trying to get the tech team to commit to it but you know how these things can be!

well paul have your IT guys been productive this week?

if they have been slacking, tell them no more lunch breaks till the proxy is gone:D

emo72 wrote: »
    well paul have your IT guys been productive this week?

if they have been slacking, tell them no more lunch breaks till the proxy is gone:D

Yes, the beatings will continue until morale improves. ;)

I am waiting on an update this am. We dont make major changes on a Fri or Mon so if it doesnt go today it will be Tue most likely. I am pushing hard for this - I want my facebook on my iPhone too :)

Wont be live today unfortunately. Will update on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Hi Paul

I switched to Tesco mobile (Staff rate) a few months ago but couldnt get 3g working on my iphone3gs or my iphone4, for love nor money. Spoke to head office and they went off trying to sort it but came back saying they can't support 3g internet on the Iphone. Will this change when the proxy is removed???

What guarantees would I gave of it working before I return? I noticed you mention having the Iphone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Oh yeah Paul.
    Is it still minimum charge of 1 minute then per second costing or have ye moved to per second costing from the start.
    What about webtexts???

jarvis wrote: »
    Hi Paul

I switched to Tesco mobile (Staff rate) a few months ago but couldnt get 3g working on my iphone3gs or my iphone4, for love nor money. Spoke to head office and they went off trying to sort it but came back saying they can't support 3g internet on the Iphone. Will this change when the proxy is removed???

What guarantees would I gave of it working before I return? I noticed you mention having the Iphone too.

Hi Jarvis,

There were issues a few months ago with the 3G service that have since been resolved.

Yes I have an iPhone and it does work but with some restrictions (only data through HTTP port 80 - browsing and about 50% of apps e.g. Twitter works but Facebook and GMail don't).

All going to plan, when we remove the proxy next week it will work fully without restrictions on all apps. We also have a 1GB 30 day data bundle for €6.99 that will compliment the iPhone nicely.

See post 160 here for instructions on how to setup and iPhone with Tesco Mobile.

hope this helps

regards
    Paul

jarvis wrote: »
    Oh yeah Paul.
    Is it still minimum charge of 1 minute then per second costing or have ye moved to per second costing from the start.
    What about webtexts???

Hi Jarvis

Yes, first minute and then per second. Webtext in planning, likely before Summer time.

rgards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

Hi - Can I use the Tesco data bundle on an unlocked Blackberry Bold? If so, will I be able to access all web sites, social networking and email or are there restrictions?

Thanks

• Advertisement

ingalway wrote: »
    Hi - Can I use the Tesco data bundle on an unlocked Blackberry Bold? If so, will I be able to access all web sites, social networking and email or are there restrictions?

Thanks

We dont support any specifc Blackberry services but when the proxy restrictions are removed next week you will be able to use apps on Blackberry that dont need network supported Blackberry services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

We dont support any specifc Blackberry services but when the proxy restrictions are removed next week you will be able to use apps on Blackberry that dont need network supported Blackberry services.

I was attracted by Tesco's 2c per minute calls to the US, so I got a SIM to use with my HTC Desire HD. Calls are fine but the data service is not fit for purpose. My email (Gmail) doesn't work and web browsing is as slow as treacle. I bought a 7-day bundle and it has been, to all intents and purposes, unusable. I don't understand why Tesco would allow the public to pay for a service that they know is crippled.

Gyalist wrote: »
    I was attracted by Tesco's 2c per minute calls to the US, so I got a SIM to use with my HTC Desire HD. Calls are fine but the data service is not fit for purpose. My email (Gmail) doesn't work and web browsing is as slow as treacle. I bought a 7-day bundle and it has been, to all intents and purposes, unusable. I don't understand why Tesco would allow the public to pay for a service that they know is crippled.

Hi Gyalist, the proxy restrictions are about to be removed. I am in fact testing without a proxy at the moment on an iPhone and it works great. Hoping to get live in a few days once the team have verified that it is ready for release. Regards Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Hi Gyalist, the proxy restrictions are about to be removed. I am in fact testing without a proxy at the moment on an iPhone and it works great. Hoping to get live in a few days once the team have verified that it is ready for release. Regards Paul

I just received a text reminding me that my data bundle expires tomorrow. I will certainly hold off on renewing it until the proxy is removed as I don't like the idea of having to pay to be a beta tester for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cyril706

Hi Paul
    I just moved to tesco mobile, but i'm having a problem with my mobile internet. my phone is a Nokia X6-00 I've tried your OTA service, but each time when i try to save the settings, it tells me unable to save all settings and 1 setting have saved. I can see the new wap access point, but i just couldn't connect to the internet. I've tried to set as mentioned here, it doesn't help neither.

Could you give me any help. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adr

I'm the same as many other Android phone users. I'm currently using SE Xperia X8 and can't use any of the apps nor receive/send MMS messages. I have followed the instructions in this thread but I only managed to open Google website in my browser and even this was very slow. You really need to fix this soon guys! Bad news spread really fast and soon everyone will be saying "I would switch to Tesco mobile 'cause they have good prices but I won't as I want be able to use Internet on my mobile..."

adr wrote: »
    I'm the same as many other Android phone users. I'm currently using SE Xperia X8 and can't use any of the apps nor receive/send MMS messages. I have followed the instructions in this thread but I only managed to open Google website in my browser and even this was very slow. You really need to fix this soon guys! Bad news spread really fast and soon everyone will be saying "I would switch to Tesco mobile 'cause they have good prices but I won't as I want be able to use Internet on my mobile..."

Thats ADR. We understand the proxy limitations are far from ideal and we are in the process of getting them removed (this week is the plan).

You should be able to send MMS. The settings for the X8 can be sent automatically from our settings OTA tool (SE android supportsd OTA) see here http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx

Cyril706 wrote: »
    Hi Paul
    I just moved to tesco mobile, but i'm having a problem with my mobile internet. my phone is a Nokia X6-00 I've tried your OTA service, but each time when i try to save the settings, it tells me unable to save all settings and 1 setting have saved. I can see the new wap access point, but i just couldn't connect to the internet. I've tried to set as mentioned here, it doesn't help neither.

Could you give me any help. thanks

Hi Cyril

Can you please try removing all exisiting WAP/MMS profiles and try again?

regards
    Paul

hi paul, when you become proxy free in the next few days, will that require us to change our settings on our phones?

hi paul, when you become proxy free in the next few days, will that require us to change our settings on our phones?

Hi Emo,

Yes, it will be just the APN as it is today for open internet (without the proxy). I will get the automated settings tool updated here http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx with the new Internet profile (WAP profile will remain with proxy).

They are going through the final steps of testing today and tomorrow. We have pencilled in Thu evening for go live. Testing has gone to plan over the last few days so I am expecting this to hold for Thu.

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Cyril706

Hi Emo,

Yes, it will be just the APN as it is today for open internet (without the proxy). I will get the automated settings tool updated here http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx with the new Internet profile (WAP profile will remain with proxy).

They are going through the final steps of testing today and tomorrow. We have pencilled in Thu evening for go live. Testing has gone to plan over the last few days so I am expecting this to hold for Thu.

regards
    Paul

I'm looking forward to it!!

paddins wrote: »
    Anyone able to help with an MMS problem I have on the Tesco mobile network. Whenever I send or receive MMS messages they can be only viewed as very small files (ie - tiny picture that is unviewable). The network seems to reduce the file size considerably - down to 2 or 3kb (from 130kb). Anyone have any solutions. The phone is a Sony Ericson W980.

This isssue that was seen on some handsets is now resolved. MMS should be sent and received at the network maximum 300kb if the phone is capable.

regards
    Paul

proxyfree tomorrow? dont let your IT monkeys home tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mikescandy

:D

Emo, I have to be very nice to the good guys in IT. We are in the home stretch now - I dont want them downing tools at this stage!

Still on track for tomorrow, fingers crossed :)

any news? :D

mikescandy wrote: »
    any news? :D

Going live this evening. To use open data you will need to drop the proxy and port from your internet settings i.e. just use the APN tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com

I will have the settings tool on the website updated later

http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx

Note, via the tool the profile for IAP - Internet Settings will be open but the WAP Profile will still use the proxy. IAP profile is normally only available to smartphones via the settings tool.

For iPhone customers remove the configuration profile that you setup to enable the proxy and just use the APN as above in the Internet Settings section.

For Android users again just remove the proxy and port and leave the APN in place.

Note MMS settings do not change and still use the proxy as before.

All data used outside the proxy will be charged for including pages that are now free when using the proxy like the Tesco Mobile WAP page.

this is a great news!!!!!
    hopefully this will make ovi maps working again!
    edit: what do you mean by "this evening"?

mikescandy wrote: »
    this is a great news!!!!!
    hopefully this will make ovi maps working again!
    edit: what do you mean by "this evening"?

Hi Mike

Dont have the exact time yet. Could be very late so assume it will be live by morning.

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement

perfect! again thank you so much for being so responsive to your customers. i really appreciate this.

Advertisement