Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 46'' LE46C530 LCD TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭netnerd

Currys will throw in an extra set of batteries for the remote control so they can claim its not the exact same product.

Just Google 'currys high court price match'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

I ordered 15 mins ago and she said she was over riding the price without me even asking.

529.99 plus 9.99 delivery to Dublin

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

cgarrad wrote: »
    I ordered 15 mins ago and she said she was over riding the price without me even asking.
    Same here. Roll on delivery, woo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Got my delivery date (next weds!) and sister got hers (next thurs)- they kept ringing me for her delivery!!!! Don't even want them that soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

Soarer, I'm not being quiet, just doing what I said I'd do and awaiting a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Well if you keep waiting long enough, the offer will be over.

They're still honouring this "mistake" a week down the line. Surely ye should be pricematching at this stage?
    I reckon ye've missed out on a few dozen sales this week.

saved themselves money. I'm not a fan of currys anway, the only thing they seem to want to sell is extended warranties IMHO

I've no problem missing out on sales if we were going to lose a shedload of money on them. I've got staff to pay and negative margin doesn't pay the bills. You're giving retailers more credit than they're due to say that an error would be picked up immediately. We manage thousands of products and trading managers would not necessarily pick this up, especially if the trading teams are based in the UK. I may well be wrong of course, and I've no problem in admitting that, but that would of course be followed up with the supplier.

I'm still in the space where customers have benefitted enormously from a mistake. I'm enjoying the challenge too, whichever way it works out

We haven't sold an extended warranty for as long as I've worked for Currys & PC World, which is just about 7 years

Fair enough.

So you reckon they're losing money on each of these so, yeah? Can they not haggle a better deal from the supplier once they've secured oodles of orders?

• Advertisement

Thinking it was 9 years since I was "offered" one in Currys, when were they did remove ir?

Oodles of orders in Ireland wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the buying price in a combined UK & Ireland buying platform. It just wouldn't register. If Argos had secured a buying price that allowed them to generate a margin at €529 they would not be selling the product in the UK, where 95 % + of their sales come from, at £ 649. All of this of course with the proviso that I could be totally wrong, at which point Samsung and I will be having a conversation.

Efb, you're going back into ancient history there. There are still "extended warranties " on offer in the Irish market, but certainly not by us. Things have moved on a fair bit since then. An extended warranty, as it says, is an extension of a normal manufacturer's warranty for a specific period of time after the expiration of a normal warranty period ( usually 12 months ) to protect consumers against any fault that will develop with the product. We got out of that years ago. We sell a customer support product called Coverplan, which ( to my infuriation ) people can still refer to as an extended warranty. " Insurance " is even worse. If I take the example of a laptop, Coverplan covers the " extended warranty " part of the equation, which is protection against a manufacturing fault. But the issue with laptops is that the vast majority of repairs are due to user generated faults rather than product faults. We have a service infrastructure which repairs in the region of 30,000 laptops per year and about 3/4 of these are not product fault related. The figure is 10,000 for TV and I'm not sure how the percentage splits there. On top of this, Coverplan gives an annual service in store to customers, theft protection for a year and replacement if a product can't be repaired. Taking domestic appliances as another example, any ladies out there probably have a better understanding than men about the effect of wire on a washing machine drum or tights that disappear. All the kind of stuff that we have engineers to cover, or couriers to collect product and bring it to a service centre. We developed a reputation years ago for being more interested in warranties than customer product needs, but that stuff is very old hat. Not that we're not evangelical about Coverplan, it's a good product for what it does and will be explained to customers when they're purchasing hardware. But aggressive selling is a definite no-no. It does no good in the end

Efb, you're going back into ancient history there. There are still "extended warranties " on offer in the Irish market, but certainly not by us. Things have moved on a fair bit since then. An extended warranty, as it says, is an extension of a normal manufacturer's warranty for a specific period of time after the expiration of a normal warranty period ( usually 12 months ) to protect consumers against any fault that will develop with the product. We got out of that years ago. We sell a customer support product called Coverplan, which ( to my infuriation ) people can still refer to as an extended warranty. " Insurance " is even worse. If I take the example of a laptop, Coverplan covers the " extended warranty " part of the equation, which is protection against a manufacturing fault. But the issue with laptops is that the vast majority of repairs are due to user generated faults rather than product faults. We have a service infrastructure which repairs in the region of 30,000 laptops per year and about 3/4 of these are not product fault related. The figure is 10,000 for TV and I'm not sure how the percentage splits there. On top of this, Coverplan gives an annual service in store to customers, theft protection for a year and replacement if a product can't be repaired. Taking domestic appliances as another example, any ladies out there probably have a better understanding than men about the effect of wire on a washing machine drum or tights that disappear. All the kind of stuff that we have engineers to cover, or couriers to collect product and bring it to a service centre. We developed a reputation years ago for being more interested in warranties than customer product needs, but that stuff is very old hat. Not that we're not evangelical about Coverplan, it's a good product for what it does and will be explained to customers when they're purchasing hardware. But aggressive selling is a definite no-no. It does no good in the end

Thought that. Really left a poor taste in my mouth. As an regular Apple purchaser I expect a very high level of CS. Havent bought in Currys/PC World in such a long time.

Cheers. I don't want to paint us as God's gift to anything as we're as fallible as any business and we can get it horrendously wrong too. But that overhang on warranties is a real source of frustration to me. If you're out Airside or Blanchardstown way, or over in Jervis, have a squint at how we're trying to make technology come to life for customers. Hopefully you'll encounter someone in sales who knows their stuff and knows it well enough to serve customers well. In those stores you'll see Apple trained personnel on Apple dedicated units doing their thing ( and talk about evangelical ! ). I can't talk for Apple but they seem to have faith in what we're trying to do.

Was in PC World Jervis - "Would you like Eircom broadband?"
    If I max my order do I get more chips!!!!

Only if it's 24 MB

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭netnerd

These extended warranties/coverplans, call them what you will, sound great on paper but they are only as good as the aftercare you receive. Currys, in my experience are on of the worst - disputing faults, 30+ minute waiting times on the helpline, 3-4 weeks waiting time for goods to be replaced, replacement loan items not being available. Youre better off getting your own appliance insurance from a 3rd party to cover all appliances in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Show is over - back to €1092.99 - very precise; bet they didn't get that wrong!!

Phewww... every day that went by I was getting more and more tempted.

All I can say now is wait till Crimbo and we'll be getting 46" LED 200hz 3D's for €529 - and a bluray player thrown in too...

We live in hope:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

I bought a laptop from PC World in Limerick a couple of months ago and I had a sales assistant get very nasty to me when I refused to take out an extended warranty/coverplan.I wonder why! Would have walked only the price was right.

• Advertisement

Netnerd, would you mind dropping me a pm on your own experience? What you're saying is no great advertisement clearly and, as I said above, things can go wrong. When they do I'd like to get stuck in.

Thanks Ralphie, sounds like there's a bit of a dinosaur out there. There's a line between evangelical and pushy, and pushy's a disaster. I'll feed that back to the team in PC World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭doohan

Anyone know how long it takes Argos to ring with a delivery date? I ordered mine on Sunday from a very helpful lady on the orderline

Cheers
    Doohan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I ordered on a Tuesday and they rang on Weds (next day) with a delivery date

I ordered in store last Saturday, and still haven't heard anything.

I'm in no rush though, so I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Soarer wrote: »
    I ordered in store last Saturday, and still haven't heard anything.

I'm in no rush though, so I don't mind.

Come on lads - your not gonna wind us all up (those that didn't plump for one) and talk about delivery dates for the next 2 weeks:(

Mods - lock it down:D

I really wanted to find a wall for this TV but wife would have killed me and kids would of turned into absolute TV addicts!!!

46" Handy Manny should look a treat! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Sadly this thread can now be marked Expired...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

In before the lock!
    Thanks again to the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭doohan

Come on lads - your not gonna wind us all up (those that didn't plump for one) and talk about delivery dates for the next 2 weeks:(

Mods - lock it down:D

I really wanted to find a wall for this TV but wife would have killed me and kids would of turned into absolute TV addicts!!!

Not at all I have a delivery number and everything might just give them a bell this evening when I get home..Oh and I better get it as the money has been taken from my laser card :-)

• Advertisement

That puts you in a stronger position. Ring the 1800 number with your ref no and follow up if worried

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement