Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 46'' LE46C530 LCD TV

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

Hi, I bought one of these Samsung LCD tvs in Sept 10. Over the Christmas the picture went even though I could still hear sound. It's a little ove 2 yrears old so obviously out of warranty. I'm dissapointed that a tv of this age should have gobe wrong. I've googled the problem and the opinion is that it could be a bad capacitor or a fuse issue. Has anyone else had this type of problem (on this or any other tv) and what was the solution and the cost of repair.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭nitros7

As far as I know AV Service Centre Cork repair Samsung TV's
    Reckon it will cost about €150 but give em a ring and I'm sure you'll get a more accurate quote

(021)4273796

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

mollymac57 wrote: »
    Hi, I bought one of these Samsung LCD tvs in Sept 10. Over the Christmas the picture went even though I could still hear sound. It's a little ove 2 yrears old so obviously out of warranty. I'm dissapointed that a tv of this age should have gobe wrong. I've googled the problem and the opinion is that it could be a bad capacitor or a fuse issue. Has anyone else had this type of problem (on this or any other tv) and what was the solution and the cost of repair.
    Thanks

Interesting article on 2fm at the moment about consumer rights. The guys says an item must be fit for purpose for 6 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

mollymac57 wrote: »
    Has anyone else had this type of problem (on this or any other tv) and what was the solution and the cost of repair.
    Thanks

You should pursue this matter with the retailer directly and by the sounds of what you've outlined above, your repair should not cost you a cent - they may attempt to fob you off in the first instance but it is they you purchased from and as such, they are the one's deemed responsible under law. Many retailers will typically attempt to deflect customers toward the manufacturer with talk of warranty - it's important to remember any warranty is merely an additional service offered by the manufacturer. It does not negate or supersede your Statutory rights, which typically afford you far greater scope to seek remedy for any problems encountered.

The Sale of Goods Act 1980 is the legislation under which you should seek redress. Though the Act specifies Repair, Replacement or Refund, it's up to the retailer to decide on which method is most appropriate. The main points which would seem most applicable are:

- Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price
    - Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do

Given your TV is well under 3 years old, it would seem reasonable to expect the unit to still be in full working order (assuming normal usage / no rough treatment etc.).

First thing to do is to fish out your receipt and ask to speak with a manager in-store - they should be aware of the requisite consumer legislation and their responsibilities to you under same.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Hmm, sorry to hear that. Mine is going strong for now.

I had spent a grand on a 32" Samsung TV before I got this one and it developed a full-height bar maybe 3px wide of not-quite dead but discoloured pixels. And after I saw it, I couldn't see anything else, and my love for it died; gave it away and replaced it. Lasted about 4 years I think, which in this throwaway technology culture isn't bad.

In terms of your consumer rights goods must be fit for purpose, but I'm pretty sure the sale of goods and supply of services acts doesn't specify longevity beyond warranty period, 6 years sounds made up I'm afraid.
    Samsung only give 12 month warranties with their tellies, pretty poor really.

My friend's 5 year old Mac Pro (and 24" Cinema Display), €6k at the time, developed a fault, she brought it into CompuB, where they practically laughed at her, referring to it as 'vintage'. And charged her €69 to do nothing I might add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Hmm, sorry to hear that. Mine is going strong for now.

I had spent a grand on a 32" Samsung TV before I got this one and it developed a full-height bar maybe 3px wide of not-quite dead but discoloured pixels. And after I saw it, I couldn't see anything else, and my love for it died; gave it away and replaced it. Lasted about 4 years I think, which in this throwaway technology culture isn't bad.

In terms of your consumer rights goods must be fit for purpose, but I'm pretty sure the sale of goods and supply of services acts doesn't specify longevity beyond warranty period, 6 years sounds made up I'm afraid.
    Samsung only give 12 month warranties with their tellies, pretty poor really.

I didn't make it up. He was on TV3's Ireland AM this morning too stating the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Mine is still going strong, but fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

thanks for all the replies. Am currently looking for the receipt and will then contact Argos to put my case for repair. Will keep you posted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement