Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

withless wrote: »
    Robert Ballagh was on this morning. I kept listening because he was able to talk shijhte and spout embarrassing opinions with such passion and old fashioned worldly knowledge.
    I switched off for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I heard that segment, right after the call to that poor woman who had everything but the kitchen sink taken from her (including her parents' ashes), then this eejit who leaves 10 grand *in cash* lying around his house and doesn't put his alarm on because he was "only going out for an hour". I feel sorry for your wan, but have zero sympathy for the artsy farty space cadet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Bobby Ballagh, some man of contradictions... He tells us that he is devoting every hour that he has left in his life to learn a 500 year old technique of painting, yet he has an hour to come in to RTE to bitch and moan about the technologies that he doesnt even use...?

He got paid in 10k cash for a job he did (as opposed to getting it securley wired to his bank account), didnt set his house alarm with the 10k cash sitting on the table in the kitchen, has no mobile phone to be contacted by the Gardaí in the unlikely event that they track down the robbers..... I mean at some stage John Murray should have just said to him that if he had taken advantage of the modern technologies, then he wouldnt have lost his ten grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

He got paid in 10k cash for a job he did (as opposed to getting it securley wired to his bank account)
    Who goes to a bank these days, withdraws 10,000 EUR in cash, and gives it to someone else, who'll also be charged by their bank for handling it, instead of, as you say, getting it wired, or even using an old-fashioned cheque?!

Something dodgy about that, IMO. For starters, withdrawing 10,000 in cash would set an alert off in the bank in the first place.

Unless of course, it was the likes of someone who "happened" to have 10,000 lying around the place ... ;)

serfboard wrote: »
    Something dodgy about that, IMO. For starters, withdrawing 10,000 in cash would set an alert off in the bank in the first place.

Well I was thinking initially that "Bobby" may have had the unfortunate unforseen consequence of having the Revenue visit him for their 23.5% VAT of the 10k, but I'm sure he's probably exempt, being an Artísté..
    Who goes to a bank these days, withdraws 10,000 EUR in cash, and gives it to someone else, who'll also be charged by their bank for handling it, instead of, as you say, getting it wired, or even using an old-fashioned cheque?!

I'm sure Robert Ballagh asked to be paid in salt, not trusting those new fangled cheque things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

I liked the bit too where he was talking about being at a party and someone 'has their phone set on vibrations or whatever the term is I don't know and they take it out of their pocket and go off and leave me standing there'.

I think we would all play that card if we got stuck in a corner with Bobby 'somebody give the man a holiday' Ballagh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Bobby Ballagh, some man of contradictions... He tells us that he is devoting every hour that he has left in his life to learn a 500 year old technique of painting, yet he has an hour to come in to RTE to bitch and moan about the technologies that he doesnt even use...?

He got paid in 10k cash for a job he did (as opposed to getting it securley wired to his bank account), didnt set his house alarm with the 10k cash sitting on the table in the kitchen, has no mobile phone to be contacted by the Gardaí in the unlikely event that they track down the robbers..... I mean at some stage John Murray should have just said to him that if he had taken advantage of the modern technologies, then he wouldnt have lost his ten grand...

Amazing man, full of contradictions,cannot understand his mindset.

Full of anomalies and difficult to sort out.

Cannot sort the guy into any normal set of criteria.

Got me beat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Amazing man, full of contradictions,cannot understand his mindset.

Full of anomalies and difficult to sort out.

Cannot sort the guy into any normal set of criteria.

Got me beat!!

I've put him into the "Grumpy Old Man" category.

I've put him into the "Grumpy Old Man" category.

I would agree with that.

Now all we have to figure out is 'why' he fits in so well to that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

More outrageous advice from psychoanalyst newsreader Micheal Murphy this morning. In discussing the dangers of "reckless disclosure" he gives the example of the married guy getting pissed at the office xmas party, snogging the secretary in the corner and waking up consumed with guilt. MM advice - whatever you say, say nothing; watch the drinking and consider not going to next year's xmas party!

I'll say this - his views wouldnt be well received over on the personal issues forum.

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    More outrageous advice from psychoanalyst newsreader Micheal Murphy this morning.

Oh good I missed this... gonna podcast it now... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

wtf. this whiny aul one was on joe duffy last week telling the exact same tale about the train. build a bridge missus and get the hell over it.

I still find it amazing that RTE allow Michael Murphy bring his own brand of psychoanalysis claptrap on to the national airwaves, especially given that he is a newsreader... I was listening to him reading the news about Lance Armstrong's confession, having been on with John Murray the previous day giving commentary on the subject...

I was half expecting him to say .. "Lance Armstrong last night admitted to doping during all of his seven tour de france wins. His family should not invite him for Christmas dinner next year, he will just upset everybody. Life is too short and if he's gonna be coming around upsetting everybody then dont invite him".

So busy that she has the time to take a call from John Murray at 9.50am.. Who's minding the children!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I still find it amazing that RTE allow Michael Murphy bring his own brand of psychoanalysis claptrap on to the national airwaves, especially given that he is a newsreader... I was listening to him reading the news about Lance Armstrong's confession, having been on with John Murray the previous day giving commentary on the subject...

I was half expecting him to say .. "Lance Armstrong last night admitted to doping during all of his seven tour de france wins. His family should not invite him for Christmas dinner next year, he will just upset everybody. Life is too short and if he's gonna be coming around upsetting everybody then dont invite him".

His (MMs) take on things is so random. He was on last week about when young kids see their parents arguing they think it is about them and they are to blame and feel guilt. Then, in adulthood, they realise "it was probably just about sex":confused::confused:

And John Murray just leaves that sort of statement hanging in the air.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Today they were compiling a book of rude people. For some reason they didn't read out my suggestion that Michael Murphy be added to the list.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Then, in adulthood, they realise "it was probably just about sex":confused::confused:

lol.. I forgot about that.. I was listening to the radio and I said to myself "did he really just say that???".. Of all the arbitrary reasons for an argument that he could have picked, what a choice!!!

lol.. I forgot about that.. I was listening to the radio and I said to myself "did he really just say that???".. Of all the arbitrary reasons for an argument that he could have picked, what a choice!!!

AND

Listen out for the emphasis from Dubbalin John on this little word.

AND Good morning to you Cathal.

Check it out between 0905 and 0909.

I am not wrong:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Dear sweet Peig Sayers what is this awful dirge? Somebody storm the studio and take out John Spillane pleeeeeeeeeeease. (who told that child he could sing??)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Dear sweet Peig Sayers what is this awful dirge? Somebody storm the studio and take out John Spillane pleeeeeeeeeeease. (who told that child he could sing??)
    I liked it!

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me how The John Murray show has so many listeners as per the JNLR figures?

Is it the backwash from MI and too lazy to switch before Kenny?

Is it the time slot?

Be interested in views as in my opinion it has almost no redeeming features.

Can anyone shed some light on it.

Can anyone tell me how The John Murray show has so many listeners as per the JNLR figures?

I find it baffling too.. I can only assume that it's a matter of habit for people to leave the radio on the same channel and wait for Pat Kenny. I mean it's not like Tubridy would convince you to change channels between 9 and 10 anyway.. John Murray is catching the drift of the shows either side of him..

Can anyone tell me how The John Murray show has so many listeners as per the JNLR figures? ...
    Not everybody is as enlightened as the participants in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Is it the time slot?

Its purely loyalty to radio 1, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Is it the time slot?

i know in my parents house Radio 1 is left on- when it comes to Murray show is time the dogs are brought for a walk, donkeys and ducks fed etc. before being back in to listen to Pat Kenny

Murray just has a cosy timeslot

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How do you get a job working 1hr per day?

Anyone know how much Murray is paid by RTE for such hard work?

NIMAN wrote: »
    How do you get a job working 1hr per day?

Anyone know how much Murray is paid by RTE for such hard work?

In fairness it's one hour airtime.

In fairness ...
    Fairness? Here?

Neil Delamere on for the week, the difference.

Natural,not forced ,much more relaxed and unclenched.

No roaring and shouting like into a loudhailer at the per 0900 news clip.

:confused: Cannot understand why this is not apparent in Montrose.

• Advertisement

Neil Delamere on for the week, the difference.

Natural,not forced ,much more relaxed and unclenched.

No roaring and shouting like into a loudhailer at the per 0900 news clip.

:confused: Cannot understand why this is not apparent in Montrose.
    I think that the programme does not get the best out of John Murray - I thought his Saturday business programme was very good, and suited him perfectly.

But I really think that Neal Delamere is no improvement. He sounds uninterested and uninteresting.

Advertisement