Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Warning to other radio presenters today when referring to the Bee Gees....John was going to play out with classic Bee Gees but quickly corrected himself after he said he was going to play out with "Classic BJ`s"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I switched over to get away from Tubridy, and Murray is just as bad.. His interview with Kyle Eastwood was akin to something you would expect from a secondary school student.... I wish RTE would sort out at least ONE decent show between 9am-10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Murray often sounds like he is laughing up his sleeve at his interviewees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

John Murray is interviewing Germaine Greer in Listowel at the weekend!! :eek:
    She'll eat him for breakfast!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

sudzs wrote: »

Will that mark the end of JM Show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

He didn't "interview" her, he didn't ask her a single question. No one in the fawning audience was prepared to ask a question either.
    I have never heard such generalisations about men in my life (and that includes RI/PI here on boards!!) ......... yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

He didn't "interview" her, he didn't ask her a single question. No one in the fawning audience was prepared to ask a question either.
    I have never heard such generalisations about men in my life (and that includes RI/PI here on boards!!) ......... yawn.

Had Deirdre O'Kane or Jo Brand come out with some of what she came out it, they'd be hailed as comedic geniuses. Scarily, this woman was dead serious with what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Had Deirdre O'Kane or Jo Brand come out with some of what she came out it, they'd be hailed as comedic geniuses. Scarily, this woman was dead serious with what she said.
    She was making points about which she is serious, and she was doing so with the aid of some extreme statements. It's called polemic. One of its purposes is to provoke, and I think that with you, she succeeded in provocation, but not in getting you to appreciate her message.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

GG has been found out, her hate and misinformation has left her old lonely and cynical

She now trys to pass her shtick off as comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

She was making points about which she is serious, and she was doing so with the aid of some extreme statements. It's called polemic. One of its purposes is to provoke, and I think that with you, she succeeded in provocation, but not in getting you to appreciate her message.

I'm aware of the concept and skill of if not the phrase "polemic" but shock me, no she didn't though I've no doubts that she did shock other listeners. However, what mildly shocked me was how RTE let such an interview go out on what is a very very low brow and easy chit chat show, more so because it would have gone over the heads of virtually all of it's target listener.

Mind you, it also raised the question of why RTE is sending off current affairs presenter ohn Murray to cover the football when 2FM, where he doesn't work, is the station that is supposed to be covering it for RTE in the main.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I heard Neil Delamare standing in his morning. Sounded good but maybe the wrong station. 2fm perhaps?

Why are RTE giving this scumbag the time to promote his book? He's profiting out of his criminal past and RTE are facilitating him....

"John, people are right, I probably should have served the full sentence"

Go back ..

Why are RTE giving this scumbag the time to promote his book? He's profiting out of his criminal past and RTE are facilitating him....

"John, people are right, I probably should have served the full sentence"

Go back ..

I missed the interview and only half listening at the end of the programme... but did I hear John reading out a text about yer man that said
    "C U Next Time"

:D

I missed the interview and only half listening at the end of the programme... but did I hear John reading out a text about yer man that said "C U Next Time" :D

didnt hear that Sudzs, but I'm still half asleep... Joe Duffy wont be happy about John Murray promoting de druuuuuug lad's book.. I hope he doesnt meet him in the hallway of RTE, it could turn in to fistycuffs..

didnt hear that Sudzs, but I'm still half asleep... Joe Duffy wont be happy about John Murray promoting de druuuuuug lad's book.. I hope he doesnt meet him in the hallway of RTE, it could turn in to fistycuffs..

I was half asleep myself, and slightly hungover! I must listen back to it though. Must be the first time I've heard the "c" word, allbeit in code, on RTE1!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

An awful, awful show. Where did they get this fella ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

John Murray and Mel C, a radio match made in hell if ever there was one. I don't think I ever cringed so much in such a small space of time before.

Many years ago Dinjo danced on the radio..now John Murray brings us on walks :eek::rolleyes::mad::cool::D;) In the name of Jaysus.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did anyone hear that strumming horror this morning?

Anyone listening to the strumming horror right now???

Don't know who it is but is it a really bad Florence and the Machine tribute band or what?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

John Murray tuned me out soon after he started the show years ago now.
    This morning I listened again.

It is frightening how cringeworthy his handling of Michael Winslow and the lad who got hit with the golf ball were.

This is our main radio station. Who is responsible for this utter sh1te and why would they let it continue. Newstalk has disimproved but they are safe for the 9-10 slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

John Murray tuned me out soon after he started the show years ago now.
    This morning I listened again.

It is frightening how cringeworthy his handling of Michael Winslow and the lad who got hit with the golf ball were.

This is our main radio station. Who is responsible for this utter sh1te and why would they let it continue. Newstalk has disimproved but they are safe for the 9-10 slot.

+1.
    I just happened to catch those segments this morning, utter rubbish. I had to turn off (excuse the pun) the segment with the erotic author. A total cringefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

Who are these anonymous people who criticise John Murray with such venom.
    This is not free speech as they are hiding behind a nickname just like me. I wonder how many of them are the begrudgers you meet when you work in a Radio Station whose only talent is knock knock knock. Sour people who will never get a break. Try presenting and see for yourself how it gets more difficult as you go along. When you have spoken about something many times before it is hard to get a fresh angle. At least John tries to be different. All presenters have their good and bad days and this is not always their fault ,. Sometimes they are let down by guests or forced to make time or talk about something they are uneasy about. Sometimes they have a go because they can't stay in their comfort zone forever if they want to improve or because they know they are not always right. One of teh worst things I ever heard was John playing golf in studio but he tried it and moved on. His interview with the Australian lady who attended the Springsteen concert was excellent.He should replay Eamonn Ryans old girlfriends interview sometime it was a classic piece of comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

This is not free speech as they are hiding behind a nickname just like me. I wonder how many of them are the begrudgers you meet when you work in a Radio Station whose only talent is knock knock knock. Sour people who will never get a break. Try presenting and see for yourself how it gets more difficult as you go along. When you have spoken about something many times before it is hard to get a fresh angle. At least John tries to be different. All presenters have their good and bad days and this is not always their fault ,.

You should attack the posts, not the people who make them. That is the essence of a discussion forum- people express opinions. Nothing more complicated than that.

Try dealing with the accusation of Mr Murray being 'cringeworthy' for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

This is not free speech as they are hiding behind a nickname just like me. I wonder how many of them are the begrudgers you meet when you work in a Radio Station whose only talent is knock knock knock. Sour people who will never get a break. Try presenting and see for yourself how it gets more difficult as you go along. When you have spoken about something many times before it is hard to get a fresh angle. At least John tries to be different. All presenters have their good and bad days and this is not always their fault ,. Sometimes they are let down by guests or forced to make time or talk about something they are uneasy about. Sometimes they have a go because they can't stay in their comfort zone forever if they want to improve or because they know they are not always right. One of teh worst things I ever heard was John playing golf in studio but he tried it and moved on. His interview with the Australian lady who attended the Springsteen concert was excellent.He should replay Eamonn Ryans old girlfriends interview sometime it was a classic piece of comedy

Nearly all radio shows these days, including John Murray's, read out anonymous text messages to add colour to almost every topic they cover. Those messages can be just as venomous about individuals or organisations as any post on here. So I don't think a presenter who reads out these kind of messages about others, can really complain if there is an other form of media that carries similar messages about them or their show.

God this is a terrible interview... been going around in circles for the last twenty minutes... Could he just not have said "you're a great lad" and left it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Actually if you've been following this thread you will see that there are people on here who will play the ball and not the man - like me they assert not that John Murray is a bad broadcaster as such, but that he is doing completely the wrong job. He was very good on the business programme (until he was turfed out by the return of George Lee - and you should be asking why that happened) and OK on Morning Ireland, but he's not good here. He can do some light topics, but there are a lot he cannot do - and it sounds pretty bad. I'd say the man himself would probably acknowledge that, if he's honest. I would also say he's limited in the topics he can pick due to being on before Pat Kenny.

If you want to hear how "light" should be done, listen to Sean Moncrieff - but then I wouldn't put him on a business show or on Morning Ireland.
    God this is a terrible interview... been going around in circles for the last twenty minutes... Could he just not have said "you're a great lad" and left it at that.
    I presume that was the interview with the old lad? He did seem to be scrambling around a bit - but then yer man wasn't exactly the most engaging individual.

Anyone think John sounded very impatient with the slightly patronising brain expert there? Then he topped off the interview with what sounded like a sigh of derision. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

He wasn't impatient enough.

It must be galling for broadcasters to have to facilitate people selling snake oil. The problem is that there isn't enough material to fill RTE's talk radio schedule unless some of this type of stuff is included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Who is this roving reporter covering festivals around Ireland for the show? He seems to be changing his accent to fit his interviewees, very strange behaviour.

Advertisement