Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I thought I'd just tuned in to 1983 there when they played Paul Gogarty's new single. Somehow I don't think it will make Larry Gogan's Top 30.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I thought I'd just tuned in to 1983 there when they played Paul Gogarty's new single. Somehow I don't think it will make Larry Gogan's Top 30.......
    Dan Boyle #2

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Who cares about this pair of wannabes, outside their family or friends and the American accents (one of them is Irish) is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Rochester wrote: »
    Who cares about this pair of wannabes, outside their family or friends and the American accents (one of them is Irish) is annoying.

Terrible! I tuned out... tuned back for the Dom Joly interview. Almost sorry I did because Catherine Thomas sound like she's a bit afraid of him at times. It's excriciatingly uncomfortable. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"You had a difficult relationship with your father?" .... *silence*.... "Didnt you?":(

• Advertisement

I think this lad is selling it too hard... "you can dance much longer without drink".... come off it, I'd be asleep by midnight with a few pints.

a hour of depression and darkness, finished by five minutes of squaking.. When will RTE kill off this show... Even Tubridy back 9am-10am on Radio One would have been better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Ironing on the radio. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Moronic Ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

John Murray is very hit and miss for me. He does some things well, but most of the time I don't think his show has yet found its niche - or even the best topics. I know that he's hamstrung by having the slot between Morning Ireland and Pat Kenny, so he has to scrabble around for topics that the others don't want.

Having said that, I thought his interview with Lar Corbett yesterday was good and, believe it or not, I actually enjoyed this morning's show :eek: 'Twas a good oul' laugh and John is good like that with a live audience and a bit of spontaneity. He's almost worse off when he has to prepare for something. IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

He has improved over the last 6 months or so, very very slightly - which wasnt hard given where he was starting from.

He is still capable of total fails with pieces which might have had some potential - example, his interview with Biddy from Glenroe regarding Gabriel Byrne's remarks on The Gathering.

There was room for a semi serious discussion there - John only wanted to talk about whether Byrne was still "hot" in the eyes of the middle aged ladies of Ireland - which i believe was Leo Varadkar's take.

I dont know.. I think the show is still as bad as ever... Every show stills sounds like it's the first show that John has ever presented.. "comedy" bits are like ye da telling jokes... Endless items on depression and spirituality, and John dispassionate, monotone questioning as if he was going through a checklist for the Department Of Social Protection..

It's like the radio version of The Late Late Show

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Who was the female opera singer who closed the show today ? She sounded great.

And was it intentional that she should sing out the show on the day when they chose the contestants for Operation Transformation ?

I hope it wasn't. Unintentional irony is always better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Lapin wrote: »

And was it intentional that she should sing out the show on the day when they chose the contestants for Operation Transformation ?

I hope it wasn't. Unintentional irony is always better. :)

It had to be; they have triend intentional humour on that show this long time and it has yet to work.

It was Cara O'Sullivan... Well there was three of them there, but I think it was Cara that was singing.... Seem like a hugely strenuous vocal to put yourself through given that there were probably only about five people listening to the awful John Murray show... All of us waiting for Pat Kenny to start.

All of us waiting for Pat Kenny to start.

Yep. The last 90 seconds of The John Murray Show is the only bit I listen to after switching over from Newstalk for PK. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Nice item on this morning's show with audio from "The School Around the Corner" recorded in Cork 50 years ago. He was trying to track down the five kids involved. I didn't hear the end of the show - I wonder did he succeed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

serfboard wrote: »
    Nice item on this morning's show with audio from "The School Around the Corner" recorded in Cork 50 years ago. He was trying to track down the five kids involved. I didn't hear the end of the show - I wonder did he succeed?

I second that, I only got the first fifteen minutes before getting into work. Must be on Podcast though.

That's the sort of stuff the show should run with, along with the monthly walks. Good solid warm stories that are fond without being gushingly sentimental and which don't stretch the mind or the nerves too much.

Instead it will be back to bad jokes and skits, rudderless interviews, bad attempts at current affairs and worst of all, Catherine Thomas.

He found the boy that was on the podcast talking about Pontoon.. Stephen Butt I think was his name.. It will be on the podcast no doubt.

• Advertisement

On this morning - Newsreader/ Pyschoanalyst Michael Murphy is one angry man.

His advice to texters on all their Christmas dilemas - "take care of yourself and let everyone else swivel"!

Murray was baiting him, asking whether his outlook was at all consistent with the spirit of Christmas.

Murphy was basically ranting by the end.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    On this morning - Newsreader/ Pyschoanalyst Michael Murphy is one angry man.Murphy was basically ranting by the end.

I find it incredible that RTE would allow one of their news broadcasters to get involved in the dream reading and nonsense that Michael Murphy was on about.. I mean if this was happening on TV3, RTE would have Liveline discussing it.

I find it incredible that RTE would allow one of their news broadcasters to get involved in the dream reading and nonsense that Michael Murphy was on about.. I mean if this was happening on TV3, RTE would have Liveline discussing it.

Did you hear his advice?

Allow the family addict to come over for Christmas dinner - NO WAY!

Allow the wife's freind who is alone and has been having a hard time of it to drop in - NO WAY!

Put yourself out in any minor way for the sake of anyone else - ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!:mad:

What a hardliner.

I thought he was brilliant !

I thought he was brilliant !

He has no time for any of the old acceptance/ forgiveness mullarkey anyway.

I'd say he hates Christmas really.

He has no time for any of the old acceptance/ forgiveness mullarkey anyway.

I'd say he hates Christmas really.

He may well do; he's virtually an ever present on RTE radio and TV news over the Christmas and New Year :)

Seriously though, I have an issue with newsreaders doing non news items on stations as it's liable to distract from what they are employed to do. Pieces like this impress badly on their preception as a competent and unbiased journalist and in this case it seems to have happened, given the comments on this thread.

He may well do; he's virtually an ever present on RTE radio and TV news over the Christmas and New Year :)

Seriously though, I have an issue with newsreaders doing non news items on stations as it's liable to distract from what they are employed to do. Pieces like this impress badly on their preception as a competent and unbiased journalist and in this case it seems to have happened, given the comments on this thread.

Exactly. When he was yabbering on this morning, I was thinking "David Icke".

Allow the family addict to come over for Christmas dinner - NO WAY!
    Allow the wife's freind who is alone and has been having a hard time of it to drop in - NO WAY!
    Put yourself out in any minor way for the sake of anyone else - ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!:mad:

yeah.. :D ... No compassion from the newsreader there....

Michael Murphy should put all his festive advice into a book, "Have yourself a zero tolerance Christmas"... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Would not like to turn up an hour late and half sloshed for Christmas nibbles at chéz Murphy.

I think Mick would be liable to turn violent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Robert Ballagh was on this morning. I kept listening because he was able to talk shijhte and spout embarrassing opinions with such passion and old fashioned worldly knowledge. His going to funeral/burglary/cctv/Luddite mashup was astounding. He is a national treasure who should be given 10 grants a year.

Advertisement