Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

That's it exactly. It's the music to get us up and happy early in the day. Have you noticed how he has captured the minds of children too? This is good for getting kiddies interested in classical and crossover music. He always plays a novelty number during the school run. And if you're up very early he plays heavier stuff first that's a bit heavier, like the Sleepers' Wake. Or something that people can try themselves like Katherine Jenkins.

He's also very good for giving airtime to new Irish acts and having them in for interviews. Often they're people I haven't heard of and I might think of going to see. I think he made Vladimir for example as a star. And he has his interviews with composers like Ennio Morricone and Einaudi. I loved his chat with Leslie Garrett a while back too.

He is going to lead two opera pilgrimages to big European opera houses this year with the Travel Department. One to Berlin, which is a First, and going back to Verona for a bit of Puccini. It's Wagner in Berlin of course. The Apocalypse Now music will be out in preparation for that. :) The article brought out that he was picked for the show by the DG (as Gay calls him! :rolleyes:) because of his knowledge of opera. George Hamilton is more a man for Shostakovitch rather than for opera, but he plays the cello too. He makes me hungry talking about food a lot mind. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    That's it exactly. It's the music to get us up and happy early in the day. Have you noticed how he has captured the minds of children too? This is good for getting kiddies interested in classical and crossover music. He always plays a novelty number during the school run. And if you're up very early he plays heavier stuff first that's a bit heavier, like the Sleepers' Wake. Or something that people can try themselves like Katherine Jenkins.

He's also very good for giving airtime to new Irish acts and having them in for interviews. Often they're people I haven't heard of and I might think of going to see. I think he made Vladimir for example as a star. And he has his interviews with composers like Ennio Morricone and Einaudi. I loved his chat with Leslie Garrett a while back too.

He is going to lead two opera pilgrimages to big European opera houses this year with the Travel Department. One to Berlin, which is a First, and going back to Verona for a bit of Puccini. It's Wagner in Berlin of course. The Apocalypse Now music will be out in preparation for that. :) The article brought out that he was picked for the show by the DG (as Gay calls him! :rolleyes:) because of his knowledge of opera. George Hamilton is more a man for Shostakovitch rather than for opera, but he plays the cello too. He makes me hungry talking about food a lot mind. :)

Can you categorically state for the record that he choses all the music!!

Armelodie wrote: »
    Can you categorically state for the record that he choses all the music!!

Marty Whelan? I've no idea. But when Trish or any of the other deputies do it while he's away they play a more sedate and mournful playlist to depress the nation further. I presume it needs Marty's gifts and insight into the public tastes to select what's played to get the authentic feel of the Marty Whelan show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'd say Hamilton is a big fan of Shostakovich alright, especially if he played centre-back for the USSR in the 1970's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Expunge

It's the music to get us up and happy early in the day. Have you noticed how he has captured the minds of children too?

Hugo/Yvonne, you're back!!!! Did the moderators lift the suspension on your account? Congrats. Back to the full time trolling so.
    Between this and your relenless pursuit of the Iona Institute and others who are, shall we say, not as enthusiastic about mariage equality as you are on twitter, it's a full time job.

Where do you get the time? Are you on full disability?
    Does RTE pay you for your daily letters read out by the great Marty? Could this affect your disability?

Do you think someone high up in RTE or Lyric will eventually become embarrassed by your tweets and cause you to be dropped like a hot snot. It will happen some day. How do you think you'll take it?

Follow Hugo's...em I mean Yvonne's every thought on twitter today! @Hugobeb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭jmcc

Why doesn't RTE management move Whelan to RTE1 where his low-brow sub-Tubridiean (aren't hair plugs wonderful?) wibbling would be appreciated and leave Lyric to Classical music?

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    Why doesn't RTE management move Whelan to RTE1 where his low-brow sub-Tubridiean (aren't hair plugs wonderful?) wibbling would be appreciated and leave Lyric to Classical music?

Regards...jmcc

Whelan makes a complete joke of Lyric's classical music remit.
    I suppose he had to get the oul hair transplant in case his radio listeners noticed the receding hairline.

That's an appalling thing to say and should be taken back And no - you're wrong: Hugo & Daphne aren't on every day on Marty Whelan's show. Though it would be no bad thing if they were. They light up the mornings when they're on. It's on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I especially liked this morning's one. I don't remember most of it but there was good joke in it about nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's an appalling thing to say and should be taken back And no - you're wrong: Hugo & Daphne aren't on every day on Marty Whelan's show. Though it would be no bad thing if they were. They light up the mornings when they're on. It's on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I especially liked this morning's one. I don't remember most of it but there was good joke in it about nuts.

Hugo and Daphne seem to be on every time I switch over :mad:

It's the most godawful drivel, goes on for absolutely ever (10 minutes one morning until I gave up (clock!) watching and switched it off) and has absolutely no place on a morning CLASSICAL MUSIC show on a CLASSICAL MUSIC station.

Nor does Marty, but I'd take his inane chatter just about if he'd just give up the stupid H/D slot.

Marty explained on the Late Late that his transplantation was because his youthful appearance is his bread and butter as a TV star in a competitive environment with younger people always coming up behind him. Obviously it's not for radio. He does Wimming Streak and the Eurovision on TV as well as the Marty in the Morning show on Lyric. And we're going to Verona with him in May for Madame Butterfly.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

It's the most godawful drivel, goes on for absolutely ever (10 minutes one morning until I gave up watching and switched it off) and has absolutely no place on a morning CLASSICAL MUSIC show on a CLASSICAL MUSIC station.

Nor does Marty, but I'd take his inane chatter just about if he'd just give up the stupid H/D slot.

Doctors differ and patients die: everyone has his own taste. I listen in religiously for H&D and it seems to take a lot of people in as new listeners.

Doctors differ and patients die: everyone has his own taste. I listen in religiously for H&D and it seems to take a lot of people in as new listeners.

Your taste seems to be pretty unique as far as this thread goes....

And I wonder how many of those new listeners run a mile when they realise what they're in for three times a week for who knows how long each programme?

Marty explained on the Late Late that his transplantation was because his youthful appearance is his bread and butter as a TV star in a competitive environment with younger people always coming up behind him. Obviously it's not for radio. He does Wimming Streak and the Eurovision on TV as well as the Marty in the Morning show on Lyric. And we're going to Verona with him in May for Madame Butterfly.
    What youthful appearance - he looks about 65 or so? But what's that got to do with radio? He was dumped by 2FM because it wanted to try winning back a youth audience. He is a failed 2FM DJ who was thrown a bone with being dumped on Lyric FM by someone who must have hated Classical music. What RTE has managed to so is banjax two stations in roughly the same timeslot with two abject wibblers providing much the same kind of programme. For people who like Music, Classical or otherwise, the DJs are often an unwelcome break between the music unless they really contribute and know their stuff. Whelan does not seem to have gotten over being ignominiously dumped by 2FM and is trying to turn Lyric into some godawful 2FM hybrid with a bare minimum of Classical. The people who listen to Lyric FM are not typically morons and yet RTE management is treating them as such by foisting Whelan on a listening public. The problem for RTE is that the babbling bozo might be taking listeners away from that other RTE zelebrity Tubridy.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's the most godawful drivel, goes on for absolutely ever (10 minutes one morning until I gave up (clock!) watching and switched it off) and has absolutely no place on a morning CLASSICAL MUSIC show on a CLASSICAL MUSIC station.

CLASSICAL !!! Helllooo! Reels to Ragas..Gay Byrne.... John Kelly playing hip hop...

Its open season as far as I'm concerned..

CLASSICAL !!! Helllooo! Reels to Ragas..Gay Byrne.... John Kelly playing hip hop...

Yes. I agree.

I missed the programme this morning but I was talking to two young people yesterday (both nurses in the hospital) and they said that they found it recently and they love it. He has got them into classical music, which is what it's all about. They like all kinds of music and so does Marty. He has made them feel easy about opera and taken away a lot of the snobbery around it.

Reels to Ragas isn't my thing but everyone gets something in the Lyric offer. I love Gay on a wet Sunday in the winter. It brings me right back to the very early days of the GB Show when there was only one radio station in Ireland. And John Kelly is good for the younger people too by leading them on into classical music. Aideen's programme at the weekend is good too for younger people who are interested in films and cinema. And what can I say about George Hamilton!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Okay, it was supposed to be a Classical Music Station with various other styles covered. Music that wouldn't generally be heard on other stations currently broadcasting in the republic.

Having Marty on it is outrageous, (and I'm not blaming Marty) John Kelly's show can be a bit out there but generally it fits in on some level. Others like George Hamilton are populist but it's still classical he plays.

Marty's show sticks out like a sore thumb. He does bring certain listeners to the station but many of them don't stick around after 10am. They actually think he plays too much Classical Music!!! They followed him from 2fm and Winning Streak.

His figures may or may not have gone up. When figures are that low it's hard to measure them correctly. (that's not me saying it, it would be the opinion of many opinion poll takers and Research bodies.)

However I do know many who have deserted Lyric and now don't listen to it at all. They have gone to listen to BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM. They also use the internet and the old reliable of CDs.

He has been a disaster for the station as we now have people saying all types of music should be played on Lyric.

Classical Music in Ireland was almost better off when it just had FM3, It might only have been on 12 or so hours a day but there was no risk that you'd hear Marty. If you went to sleep listening to it at night you would be woken up at 8 with an Irish language programme. Not Marty going on about some restaurant he was at the previous night.

I'm reminded of my grandparents house, we were never left into a certain room because we wouldn't take care of it. It's the same with Lyric, why can't we mind the nice things we have in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

I don't think any comparison of Whelan to the likes of John Kelly or Reels to Ragas is valid. The other presenters have an interest and genuine love of the music they present. Whelan clearly has no interest in the classical music genre. I am fortunate to be able to attend many concerts in the capital each year, and have done so for many years, and have never seen him at an event.

OK, hands up, I shouldn't have laid the emphasis on CLASSICAL music.

But my post still stands if you just take out the classical - it's a MUSIC station! And one of these days I might just sit down with a stopwatch and see what proportion of Mart's programme is devoted to actual music. I'm guessing it's less than 50%.

It's the inane, needless, witless, endless chatter that I object to.

If he'd only play music - whatever music he likes - I'd be ok with that.

OK, hands up, I shouldn't have laid the emphasis on CLASSICAL music.

But my post still stands if you just take out the classical - it's a MUSIC station! And one of these days I might just sit down with a stopwatch and see what proportion of Mart's programme is devoted to actual music. I'm guessing it's less than 50%.

It's the inane, needless, witless, endless chatter that I object to.

If he'd only play music - whatever music he likes - I'd be ok with that.

No you were correct when you put the emphasis on CLASSICAL MUSIC. That's what it was supposed to be. However once Marty came along Management have started to soften that image.

You're 100% correct about Marty's chit chat. I don't mind News Headlines, Traffic Reports, or indeed even a sports bulletin or two, but some of the stuff he comes out with is shocking for any serious music station Classical or Non Classical.

The last time Marty had a youthful appearance was around 1978.

• Advertisement

Having Marty on it is outrageous, (and I'm not blaming Marty)
    It is clearly the moronicisation of a station by moronic management. These f*ckers must really hate Classical music and want to dumb down the station.
    John Kelly's show can be a bit out there but generally it fits in on some level.
    It is a weird mixture but it can be very good.
    Others like George Hamilton are populist but it's still classical he plays.
    He does seem to concentrate more on the music and knows what he is talking about moreso than Whelan.
    Marty's show sticks out like a sore thumb.
    It is the moron factor - the kind of show that would be more at home on RTE1 or a less popular version of 2FM.
    He does bring certain listeners to the station but many of them don't stick around after 10am.
    It is the Whelan/Tubridy axis - they feed off each other in terms of listeners. (Well that's my theory.)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »

It is the moron factor - the kind of show that would be more at home on RTE1 or a less popular version of 2FM.

I can't agree with you there, RTE Radio One moved away from that style around 25 years ago, Meanwhile he been on 2FM and that didn't work.
    As far as RTE management are concerned he's on the less popular version of 2FM now. It's only a matter of time before you'll get a few more full timers that they can't fire shifted over to Lyric.
    I fully expect Lyric only to have Classical Programmes between 7pm and 7am Monday to Friday and Maybe more at the weekend within the next few years.

Sadly, I think you're right there, Onthe3rdDay.
    They've done it in Denmark with their Classical/Cultural channel (P2). Not a nation known for cultural vandalism either.
    P2 shares a frequency with a documentaries and discussion station rather than with a station full of elderly DJ's with hairplugs playing showbands aided by clueless production staff.

I think it's wrong to say that Marty Whelan isn't a musical expert. (Not very nice to comment on something private and personal like his hair. That doesn't affect his performance on radio.) And he was chosen, according to the Sunday Times, because of his knowledge of opera. He's edging now more and more into other kind of music. And his Marty Recommends is an important shop window for new artists coming up.

He also give a LOT of information on events that are happening in the musical world. And his features on the Bord Gais are good. He even had tickets for Garth Brooks a while back, so he covers all the bases. Not everyone can bear heavy classical at that time of the morning all the time. He is able to sweeten the pill for people and pull in more listeners by doing some crossover and some of the lighter stuff. But he always has a piece of Puccini on the programme nearly every day. People can stay with the station then for more soothing music from Niall Carroll and later for Lorcan Murray.

Not very nice to comment on something private and personal like his hair

Private and personal eh? Did he not give interviews to many national outlets which included him mentioning his new crowning glory.
    In fact, he namechecked the 'hair restoration' profssionals involved so much that it looks to me like money probably didn't change hands for this job, though I can't prove it.

Looks like a benefit in kind to me if this is the case, I'm sure Revenue might want to run their fingers through Whelan's hair.
    And he was chosen, according to the Sunday Times, because of his knowledge of opera.
    Now Hugo/Yvonne, that's not quite right. The Head of Lyric FM did not say he was hired because of his knowledge of opera. He made reference to him having a knowledge of opera. Which he doesn't.
    Of the little bit of opera or indeed classical he still plays, he still hasn't much of a clue of what he's saying in terms of artist credits,if they are anyway unfamiliar or 'foreign' to him.
    He's an ignorant joke, enabled in his childish behaviour by well paid RTE staff and management.

I think it's wrong to say that Marty Whelan isn't a musical expert. (Not very nice to comment on something private and personal like his hair. That doesn't affect his performance on radio.) And he was chosen, according to the Sunday Times, because of his knowledge of opera. He's edging now more and more into other kind of music. And his Marty Recommends is an important shop window for new artists coming up.

He also give a LOT of information on events that are happening in the musical world. And his features on the Bord Gais are good. He even had tickets for Garth Brooks a while back, so he covers all the bases. Not everyone can bear heavy classical at that time of the morning all the time. He is able to sweeten the pill for people and pull in more listeners by doing some crossover and some of the lighter stuff. But he always has a piece of Puccini on the programme nearly every day. People can stay with the station then for more soothing music from Niall Carroll and later for Lorcan Murray.

That Sunday Times Piece on Lyric is not something to rely on, especially when it wasn't really very kind to him at all. On top of that almost all the positive comments are spin from Lyric themselves. Marty wasn't on their radar until they were basically told to give him a show. They spin that into his great interest in Opera which he managed to keep secret from everyone until 2009.

I know two people that listen to Lyric because of Marty. Neither of them stick around after he goes off air. One heads off to the hills of local radio, I have no idea what the other one does radio wise but they do like Country and Irish, so maybe that could be added to the schedule.

As for gaining or losing Audience, Lyric has been around the 2-4 percent mark for years now. It goes up a little and then retreats back down. It is very hard to say if his numbers have gone up or down when it's that low. 2 people answering the phone or door when someone is doing the survey can make a huge difference when you're at that level of listenership. Lyric's figures were much better at times before Marty Joined, but again that might not be accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Nothing against Marty but his show on Lyric in the morning is brutal. Poor music with just banal drivel for chat. Its life crushingly boring.

I used to listen to Lyric a fair bit mainly for the classical music and lots of interesting information about the music.

These days I don't. Its complete lost its focus.

As a matter of interest, how much time has he allocated to next weekend's New Music Festival? Strangely I can't recall seeing any Harrison Birtwistle in his playlists.

http://www.newmusicdublin.ie/

DownBeaten wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how much time has he allocated to next weekend's New Music Festival? Strangely I can't recall seeing any Harrison Birtwistle in his playlists.

http://www.newmusicdublin.ie/

I don't know anything about this :confused:, but I've looked him up now and he seems to be English. I think for the plain people of Ireland this is far more important than any of that:
    http://www.eurovisionary.com/eurovision-news/ireland-eurosong-2014-get-know-five-finalists Tomorrow, from Studio 4, to whom it concerns, it's the Late Late Show, with Ireland's Eurovision hopefuls! :)

• Advertisement

I don't know anything about this :confused:, but I've looked him up now and he seems to be English. I think for the plain people of Ireland this is far more important than any of that:
    http://www.eurovisionary.com/eurovision-news/ireland-eurosong-2014-get-know-five-finalists Tomorrow, from Studio 4, to whom it concerns, it's the Late Late Show, with Ireland's Eurovision hopefuls! :)

Thanks for the warning. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement