Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    I think it's wrong to say that Marty Whelan isn't a musical expert. (Not very nice to comment on something private and personal like his hair. That doesn't affect his performance on radio.) And he was chosen, according to the Sunday Times, because of his knowledge of opera. He's edging now more and more into other kind of music. And his Marty Recommends is an important shop window for new artists coming up.

Considering Marty recently appeared on The Saturday Night Show to plug his hair plugs, I hardly think it's a private and personal matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Just now Marty Whelan had a really lovely in-depth chat with the great young Irish soprano Celine Byrne, with tracks from her CD. Really human and nice. :)

But what was lovely about it in particular was that Marty advised Celine to be philosophical about all the brick bats that come the way of artists? Negative people are there to be ignored. If you pay attention to them it affects the work. Celine said that she was human. And that people who attack her don't know her as a person. But Marty said that critics are like the wrapping around a haddock and single. Something from yesterday to be ignored today as you get on with your success. (He could have said that critics are cods! :D)

She has sang with all the greats including Jose Carreras, who gave her a lot of good advice too. (Which puts Marty in the same boat as Jose now.) Celine has some dates coming up, and she's going to record a recording of Irish songs, the real classical way, which hasn't been done before. Looking forward. http://celinebyrne.com/

As Marty said about something else earlier: RTE Supporting The Arts! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

=

As Marty said about something else earlier: RTE Supporting The Arts! :)

As someone said to me about Marty: RTE Supporting The Arse! smile.png (and before anyone says anything, it's a joke!)

As someone said to me about Marty: RTE Supporting The Arse! smile.png (and before anyone says anything, it's a joke!)

And not a very good one!!! :D

I didn't expect to see Marty Whelan broadcasting on the Late Late tonight! He's giving a masterclass in Light Ents now. I'm looking forward to the Verona TV Special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I didn't expect to see Marty Whelan broadcasting on the Late Late tonight! He's giving a masterclass in Light Ents now. I'm looking forward to the Verona TV Special.

What's that got to do with his radio show? :confused: This is a thread about his radio show, not a public platform for you to tell us about his career.

Anyway, back to the show. I think it's a real shame that there is some real talent on Lyric FM that are losing out on having a prime slot like the 7-10am shift just because RTE feel the need to dumb down their morning slot and keep their boy in a job.

pconn062 wrote: »
    What's that got to do with his radio show? :confused: This is a thread about his radio show, not a public platform for you to tell us about his career.

Anyway, back to the show. I think it's a real shame that there is some real talent on Lyric FM that are losing out on having a prime slot like the 7-10am shift just because RTE feel the need to dumb down their morning slot and keep their boy in a job.

Well the radio shows are linked deeply to the Eurovision - both for Ryan and for Marty. No man is an island as the poet said and neither is any programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,958 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well the radio shows are linked deeply to the Eurovision - both for Ryan and for Marty. No man is an island as the poet said and neither is any programme.

They may well be.

Whether they should be is questionable. Very questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭jmcc

Looks like Marty will have a lot more time for programmes on Lyric FM. Perhaps a new Opera show is in the offing after this:
    http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/sun2.jpg
    He's lost the Winning Streak gig, apparently.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

jmcc wrote: »
    Looks like Marty will have a lot more time for programmes on Lyric FM. Perhaps a new Opera show is in the offing after this:
    http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/sun2.jpg
    He's lost the Winning Streak gig, apparently.

Regards...jmcc

Marty is simply too highbrow now for that kind of crass simpleminded entertainment. I am sure it was his decision to quit it as incompatible with his responsibilities as a leading light of Ireland's musical intelligentsia.

• Advertisement

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Marty is simply too highbrow now for that kind of crass simpleminded entertainment.
    Have you seen the brow on the chap who is replacing him? :)
    I am sure it was his decision to quit it as incompatible with his responsibilities as a leading light of Ireland's musical intelligentsia.
    Definitely management material. No doubt we'll hear all about it in the next few weeks.

Regards...jmcc

I heard that story about Marty Whelan handing over his baton on Winning Streak. If it's true - and it's only been in the tabloids, remember - it might be to give him more time to develop his career in more cultured programmes. For instance the Berlin and the Verona trips are expected to be filmed this year. You can't burn the candle at both ends. (I hope though that they're not going to drive Winning Streak downmarket with this other proposition. I don't think he's really a serious broadcaster. Marty Whelan has an intimate knowledge of the minds of the audience by empathy.)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eminoz

I heard that story about Marty Whelan handing over his baton on Winning Streak. If it's true - and it's only been in the tabloids, remember - it might be to give him more time to develop his career in more cultured programmes. For instance the Berlin and the Verona trips are expected to be filmed this year. You can't burn the candle at both ends. (I hope though that they're not going to drive Winning Streak downmarket with this other proposition. I don't think he's really a serious broadcaster. Marty Whelan has an intimate knowledge of the minds of the audience by empathy.)

Ha, ha, hahahahahaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!!!

eminoz wrote: »
    Ha, ha, hahahahahaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's confirmed that it's only an ugly rumour. :)
    http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/winning-streak-marty-morrissey-whelan-1347544-Mar2014/?utm_source=shortlink

And the first paragraph of the article states:
    "RTÉ HAS CONFIRMED that there are changes on the way for Winning Streak, but won’t say whether or not Marty Whelan will be staying on."

That's hardly a "Marty Whelan is staying." statement, is it?

I think that the Indo referring to Marty as being "an old fogey" might upset some. :)
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/is-young-gun-marty-morrissey-53-to-replace-old-fogey-marty-whelan-57-on-winning-streak-30068905.html

Regards...jmcc

I have it on good authority that Marty is about to take over The Works from John Kelly......

I have it on good authority that Marty is about to take over The Works from John Kelly......
    Should be fun watching him trying to hum along to Jan Garbarek or John Cage's 4'33''. :) Perhaps Marty should play the latter piece on his show?

Regards...jmcc

I know this is about the Marty Whelan Show on radio, but I'm told that Marty is being fingered to take over from Brendan O'Connor on the Saturday Night Show on RTE One. At last they are looking for professionals not amateurs to fill the prime time slots. We can all agree that Marty can talk to anybody.

I know this is about the Marty Whelan Show on radio, but I'm told that Marty is being fingered to take over from Brendan O'Connor on the Saturday Night Show on RTE One. At last they are looking for professionals not amateurs to fill the prime time slots.
    Whatever gave you that idea? It is RTE. :) The Brendan O'Connor demographic (Sindo readers) is perhaps more important than giving Marty Whelan his own chat show. The secondary aspect is that it keeps the Sindo onside with fluff pieces and good coverage. Marty seems to be typical of the kind of aging DJ who never made the jump to the production or management side of things. Lyric FM was a kind of digout for him - an indication that he was past it for the younger demographics. The problem is that he's very much a one trick pony and the same kind of schlock that he has used for decades is now being used on Lyric FM. With Lyric FM, the music is more important to listeners. There's a possibility that he really has attracted the kind of listeners who appreciate the young fogieness of Ryan Tubridy and the Tubridy's falling audience figures are just those listeners bouncing around between much the same kind of out of place and out of time DJ. If he so impressed that RTE management droid with his knowledge of Opera then why didn't RTE give him an Opera focused show?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

In a surprise announcement, Marty Whelan has been announced as the new presenter of a BBC Radio 3 series on Opra. Given his background experience, it is believed that Mr Whelan will provide a unique insight into the genre. The first programme, due to air shortly, will feature his favourite opra, Vagner's Tesco, the epic based on a Jewish fairy tale. The second programme will highlight the Motzart favourite, Ill Travatoria, the story of a New York pizza joint and their struggles with food hygiene. The third show will review the Scandinavian classic, Mamma Mia!, the tale of a song competition gone wrong. Other episodes will feature crossover singers of dubious talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Expunge

Have a listen to the 'Haydn's Hashtags' sketch from That Mitchell and Webb Sound on BBC Radio 4.
    It's a joke there but very close to reality on MITM on Lyric, sadly...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01mv2zh

DownBeaten wrote: »
    In a surprise announcement, Marty Whelan has been announced as the new presenter of a BBC Radio 3 series on Opra. Given his background experience, it is believed that Mr Whelan will provide a unique insight into the genre. The first programme, due to air shortly, will feature his favourite opra, Vagner's Tesco, the epic based on a Jewish fairy tale. The second programme will highlight the Motzart favourite, Ill Travatoria, the story of a New York pizza joint and their struggles with food hygiene. The third show will review the Scandinavian classic, Mamma Mia!, the tale of a song competition gone wrong. Other episodes will feature crossover singers of dubious talent.

I will avoid any comment on the unpleasant anti-Semitic barb in this posting. On the main point, if I can put it in such generous terms, I am not marked with the indelible West Brit mentality that cannot see that there are other excellent kinds of music and music-conversation radio besides the BBC Radio 3 elitism. Anyone who is around the DIT Conservatory of Music or the Wexford Festival or the NCH or the Bord Gais, would know that Marty Whelan is renowned as a major influence in shaping the Dublin classical, opera and crossover musical worlds. And nothing is as useful for a young singer early in her career than to get a spot on the show. Listen in for the uniformly positive comments from the listeners who are growing every week.

I will avoid any comment on the unpleasant anti-Semitic barb in this posting.
    That the best that you can do? But then you obviously are quite unaware of a particular section of the Wagnerian fanbase in the 1930s/1940s. It is not an anti-Semitic barb but rather a dig at the ignorance of Whelan and his "fans".
    I am not marked with the indelible West Brit mentality that cannot see that there are other excellent kinds of music and music-conversation radio besides the BBC Radio 3 elitism. Anyone who is around the DIT Conservatory of Music or the Wexford Festival or the NCH or the Bord Gais,
    Quite the snob, eh? So now we are West Brits because we don't appreciate an over the hill DJ being dumped into a Classical radio station to dumb it down? You see most of us cannot afford to hang around the Wexford Opera festival or the NCH or Bord Gais because we are working too damned hard to pay for useless people like Whelan through the TV licence fee. Perhaps if we were given the option of paying for good music rather than the babbling of Whelan and his low-brow ilk (aren't hair plugs wonderful?), then we would pay for good music. Lyric FM used to be a good Arts and Classical (and other types) music station. But the management decided to dumb it down to their own level in the mad pursuit of audience figures.
    would know that Marty Whelan is renowned as a major influence in shaping the Dublin classical, opera and crossover musical worlds.
    Your beloved Marty is just a schlock peddler trying to apply the same schlock that he has used for decades to Classical music and finds that the people who like Classical don't like it.
    And nothing is as useful for a young singer early in her career than to get a spot on the show.
    Ha! The babbling bozo thinks too highly of his importance but then he's the kind that hums over music as if he expects people to appreciate that. I'm surprised he hasn't tried to do duets with any of these upcoming singers. Perhaps you can have a word with the management droids to have a "Marty hums along with..." CD available for drooling fanboys and fangirls for Christmas. It might sell a copy or two. And if not, he can always give them away free on his show.
    Listen in for the uniformly positive comments from the listeners who are growing every week.
    From the same fetid minds responsible for the talking cat and postcards sent with a stamp when almost everyone now uses e-mail or texting? Odd that - a very 1970s/1980s approach.

Regards...jmcc

I keep expecting Marty to play this......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Marty Whelan is renowned as a major influence in shaping the Dublin classical, opera and crossover musical worlds.

FFS. Renowned by who?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I will avoid any comment on the unpleasant anti-Semitic barb in this posting. On the main point, if I can put it in such generous terms, I am not marked with the indelible West Brit mentality that cannot see that there are other excellent kinds of music and music-conversation radio besides the BBC Radio 3 elitism. Anyone who is around the DIT Conservatory of Music or the Wexford Festival or the NCH or the Bord Gais, would know that Marty Whelan is renowned as a major influence in shaping the Dublin classical, opera and crossover musical worlds. And nothing is as useful for a young singer early in her career than to get a spot on the show. Listen in for the uniformly positive comments from the listeners who are growing every week.

I know most of the faculty in DIT conservatory of music, who in particular are you talking about? I have to say when I attended the Society for Musicology in Ireland's conference that was in DIT a while ago, I didn't hear much mention of Marty Whelan amongst the Stockhausen's, the Gerald Barry's and the importance of Faust in the works of Wagner, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. ;)

Aidric wrote: »
    FFS. Renowned by who?
    Marty Whelan and his fan, the talking cat and the voices he does on the Tesco advert. That's about it really.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Marty Whelan is renowned as a major influence in shaping the Dublin classical, opera and crossover musical worlds.

To be fair, that's a great line about such an ignoramus. He is one major gobs***e though, topped only by those who appointed to the post one so singularly unqualified for it. Woe is Lyric FM.

Expunge wrote: »
    Have a listen to the 'Haydn's Hashtags' sketch from That Mitchell and Webb Sound on BBC Radio 4.
    It's a joke there but very close to reality on MITM on Lyric, sadly...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01mv2zh
    The only difference being that Marty wasn't in Atomic Kitten? :) Terrifyingly close to the Martydom show.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Marty was good friends with Ray Davies of the Kinks back in their 'garage' phase pre mainstream. His band the Insufferable Cretins used to open for them in Camden.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement