Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

pconn062 wrote: »
    I know most of the faculty in DIT conservatory of music, who in particular are you talking about? I have to say when I attended the Society for Musicology in Ireland's conference that was in DIT a while ago, I didn't hear much mention of Marty Whelan amongst the Stockhausen's, the Gerald Barry's and the importance of Faust in the works of Wagner, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. ;)

Stockhausen? Are you serious? On LyricFM when people are trying to get out to work or get the kids to school?

Stockhausen is for the bores who like that kind of thing but it's more like math than music.

Musicology sounds to me like Codology! Give me Music, Music, Music, as the man said! What we want is what Marty, George and Lorcan give us: soothing music.

I have heard some of Gerald Barry's work. Very academic and unpleasant. Again totally unsuited to a classical/crossover early morning slot.

(Gounod wrote Faust, by the way. So much for being in the pockets of part-timers in the DIT Conservatory! :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    Marty Whelan is renowned as a major influence in shaping the Dublin classical, opera and crossover musical worlds.

I'm stunned to read this. I like popular classical music as much as the next person and I don't care for elitism much but I found Marty Whelan's show to be completely unlistenable as it didn't seem to include very much classical music at all. So I stopped listening.

Seriously - major influence?

I can't buy it I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Yvonne is was who maintains that DIT Conservatory Of Music prizes Marty's classical knowledge. ProConn knows people there and does not recall the name Marty Whelan being mentioned. The ball is in your court surely Yvonne.
    I can't see the reason for your attitude to Stockhausen which goes no way, in any event, to proving that Marty is a major influencer of classical taste.
    I am as partial as many to jazz standards, James Taylor & Eric Clapton but would not regard any of them as being classical crossover.
    Having said that cross trainers might be stimulated by some of the more animated offerings should they be out and about during the broadcast.

Stockhausen? Are you serious? On LyricFM when people are trying to get out to work or get the kids to school?

Stockhausen is for the bores who like that kind of thing but it's more like math than music.

Musicology sounds to me like Codology! Give me Music, Music, Music, as the man said! What we want is what Marty, George and Lorcan give us: soothing music.

I have heard some of Gerald Barry's work. Very academic and unpleasant. Again totally unsuited to a classical/crossover early morning slot.

(Gounod wrote Faust, by the way. So much for being in the pockets of part-timers in the DIT Conservatory! :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Calina wrote: »
    I'm stunned to read this.
    If you take a read back over that poster's posts on this thread from last year it should all start making sense.

I'm stunned to read this. I like popular classical music as much as the next person and I don't care for elitism much but I found Marty Whelan's show to be completely unlistenable as it didn't seem to include very much classical music at all. So I stopped listening.

Seriously - major influence?

I can't buy it I'm afraid.
    What I mean is he gives a shop window to living artists on his show through his gentle interviews and through airplay and he reflects the taste of the plain people of Ireland back to ourselves. Any voice teacher in Dublin who knows his or her onions makes a beeline to the show to get the next generation on air. Or see how he has helped Vladimir the violin virtuoso in his career. He has got national tours and a recording contract. Or Celine Byrne. The list is long and endless.

But no, he isn't doing intellectual music like John Kelly - but only because this isn't tolerable at this time of day. Horses for courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

What I mean is he gives a shop window to living artists on his show through his gentle interviews and through airplay and he reflects the taste of the plain people of Ireland back to ourselves. Any voice teacher in Dublin who knows his or her onions makes a beeline to the show to get the next generation on air. Or see how he has helped Vladimir the violin virtuoso in his career. He has got national tours and a recording contract. Or Celine Byrne. The list is long and endless.

But no, he isn't doing intellectual music like John Kelly - but only because this isn't tolerable at this time of day. Horses for courses.

This post would make Maxim Gorky blush.

He played Duran Duran on Friday morning. If that's what I wanted to listen to I'd listen to 4FM.

He played Duran Duran on Friday morning. If that's what I wanted to listen to I'd listen to 4FM.
    I'm sure he did. :D If so it was probably to lighten the mood and to draw in a younger cohort of listeners. And who can argue with that? Trish played the Beatles today, but nobody holds that against her. We can't have John O'Conor all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

What I mean is he gives a shop window to living artists on his show through his gentle interviews and through airplay and he reflects the taste of the plain people of Ireland back to ourselves.
    Rubbish. He's a failed, over the hill DJ who has been dumped into what was an Arts and Classical music station. The plain people of Ireland didn't want him either that's why he lost approximately 50,000 of these plain people from his show. That's why 2FM fired him.
    The list is long and endless.
    A list can be long or it can be endless. In the case of Whelan it is not long and it certainly is not endless. Though listening to the babbling bozo is like an eternity of mediocrity.
    Horses for courses.
    Perhaps RTE can dump him into some sports programme next. He can neigh along with Red Rum to his heart's content.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

:confused::confused:

Faust is a play, written by the German Van Goethe. I think you are confusing Gounod's opera Faust with the piece of literature "Faust". It was also inspiration for a number of works by prominent composers including Wagner, who used it for inspiration for his "Faust Overture". Hence the reason I mentioned the importance of "Faust" as a source of inspiration for Wagner.

And if Stockhausen is for bores, I'm glad to be a bore.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Faust is a play, written by the German Van Goethe. I think you are confusing Gounod's opera Faust with the piece of literature "Faust". It was also inspiration for a number of works by prominent composers including Wagner, who used it for inspiration for his "Faust Overture". Hence the reason I mentioned the importance of "Faust" as a source of inspiration for Wagner.

And if Stockhausen is for bores, I'm glad to be a bore.

Thanks for this admission. :)

I looked Goethe up and if you were to call him something like that, he's actually von Goethe, not Van Goethe.

But, sure, at this stage I suppose Johann Wolfgang von Goethe wouldn't care what you'd call him, as long as you didn't call him early in the morning. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Marty finished his show this morning with 'My Lovely Horse', from Father Ted. A new low? :(

Marty finished his show this morning with 'My Lovely Horse', from Father Ted. A new low? :(
    I'd rate that higher than the theme from Wonder Woman and Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious from Mary Poppins, both of which he has played in recent months.

I'd rate that higher than the theme from Wonder Woman and Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious from Mary Poppins, both of which he has played in recent months.

It must have been the most appropriate tune he could find associated with Cheltenham, as well as the theme from Black Beauty that he played in the background during his 'quips'

It must have been the most appropriate tune he could find associated with Cheltenham, as well as the theme from Black Beauty that he played in the background during his 'quips'
    Yeah I've heard the Black Beauty theme on his show before, must have been during another racing festival. I'm tempted to email in request asking him to play the old song 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They?' by Racing Cars if he's doing a horse racing 'theme' this week - the title probably isn't something his comic genius could be applied to though so he mightn't play it.

Yeah I've heard the Black Beauty theme on his show before, must have been during another racing festival. I'm tempted to email in request asking him to play the old song 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They?' by Racing Cars if he's doing a horse racing 'theme' this week - the title probably isn't something his comic genius could be applied to though so he mightn't play it.

I didn't hear the song from Father Ted but I looked up the music he played today on the World Wide Web (25 years young today, as Marty told us ;) ), and it seem as if the Show ended with the orchestral music from Black Beauty. Which is a suitable link during Cheltenham Week. (Niall has been partaking in the fun too, I notice.)

We had "Let's Go Fly A Kite" from "Mary Poppins" too, rather than Supercalifrag.

But any fair person - and I stress that - any fair person who looked at the running order would agree that he plays his fair share of classical music. I might stick it into Excel actually to see what proportion of it is classical actually. And some of it is heavy stuff too like the Kabalevsky, Grieg, Satie, Respeghi, Glazunov, as well as more palatable music like Puccini, Strauss, Gershwin and Cavatina.

But do not take my word for it: look here:

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/marty-in-the-morning/

I didn't hear the song from Father Ted but I looked up the music he played today on the World Wide Web (25 years young today, as Marty told us ;) ), and it seem as if the Show ended with the orchestral music from Black Beauty. Which is a suitable link during Cheltenham Week. (Niall has been partaking in the fun too, I notice.)

We had "Let's Go Fly A Kite" from "Mary Poppins" too, rather than Supercalifrag.

But any fair person - and I stress that - any fair person who looked at the running order would agree that he plays his fair share of classical music. I might stick it into Excel actually to see what proportion of it is classical actually. And some of it is heavy stuff too like the Kabalevsky, Grieg, Satie, Respeghi, Glazunov, as well as more palatable music like Puccini, Strauss, Gershwin and Cavatina.

But do not take my word for it: look here:

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/marty-in-the-morning/

Well you can take my word for it too, he definitely played My Lovely Horse!
    I wonder who picks the music for this show; perhaps he picks the 'poppy' tunes and he gets advice on the classical music to play?? I'm just guessing of course.

I wonder who picks the music for this show; perhaps he picks the 'poppy' tunes and he gets advice on the classical music to play?? I'm just guessing of course.

Oh, I wasn't doubting you. I can't listen to all the programme. I think it's a dip in and dip out kind of show, like reading a magazine at the stylist. (Mind you, I wish I listened to his tip for Cheltenham. Seems Marty has made a few thousandaires today.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

Oh, I wasn't doubting you. I can't listen to all the programme. I think it's a dip in and dip out kind of show, like reading a magazine at the stylist.
    Isn't hair styling a touchy subject with Marty? :) Most people just want to listen to music rather than the Tubridy-lite stuff that's better on other RTE channels.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Expunge

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, Twinkle. It sounds like some of the most hackneyed, basic 'classical' pieces are suggested for him to play by his flunkies. They take great care to pick the most pronouncable artist and composer names, which he still f**ks up. He then slips in the Duran Duran/Crooners/Leonard Cohen/Sh*t Crossover and 'novelty' songs to make it the trainwreck it is.
    I'd say his pre-opera talk in Berlin for the punters who have paid 649 euros a skull to be there will be equally as impressive:
    From traveldepartment.ie ......
    Direct return flights from Ireland to Germany.
    Coach transfer on arrival to your hotel in Berlin with assistance.
    3 nights 4 **** hotel accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis.
    Drinks reception with an introduction to Tosca by Marty Whelan.
    Half day guided sightseeing tour of Berlin with English speaking guide.
    Evening transfer with guide assistance to the Deutsche Oper for a performance of Puccini’s Tosca (Category II Opera tickets included)
    Free time for sightseeing and shopping of your choice.
    Return transfer from your hotel to the airport with guide assistance.

• Advertisement

Excellent one by Marty as he was finishing off today.

Sit on a chair and lift your right leg up a bit. Move your right leg in a Clockwise circle. Now while you're doing this draw the Number 6 in the air with your right hand.

Your foot will start going Anticlockwise!

Marty was told this by a psychiatrist and it's something about how our brains are wired. Best thing I've heard on radio all month! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

Sit on a chair and lift your right leg up a bit. Move your right leg in a Clockwise circle. Now while you're doing this draw the Number 6 in the air with your right hand.

Marty was told this by a psychiatrist and it's something about how our brains are wired. Best thing I've heard on radio all month! :)

Thanks, that's the best description of the "dumbing down" I've heard yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

The foot soldiers will love that one. Mind bending stuff!

Expunge wrote: »
    I think you've hit the nail on the head there, Twinkle. It sounds like some of the most hackneyed, basic 'classical' pieces are suggested for him to play by his flunkies.

I remember when Marty started out on Radio 2 (as 2FM was known then) in 1979, he was a big fan of soft U.S. rock music. On both 'Whelan Home' and 'Marty 'til Midnight' he continuously played music by artists such as Christopher Cross, Nils Lofgren, etc.
    The breakfast show on Lyric could be presented by Ronan Collins or indeed any other presenter as it appears that no knowledge of classical music is required.

I remember when Marty started out on Radio 2 (as 2FM was known then) in 1979, he was a big fan of soft U.S. rock music. On both 'Whelan Home' and 'Marty 'til Midnight' he continuously played music by artists such as Christopher Cross, Nils Lofgren, etc.
    The breakfast show on Lyric could be presented by Ronan Collins or indeed any other presenter as it appears that no knowledge of classical music is required.

Yeah, that's really lovely music. It's sort of following on from the Rat Pack and from lounge jazz and all that. I can't think of anything I'd like better in the morning than the light classical and those genres of music that draw on the light classical tradition. Funny that we are now getting towards golden oldies ages ourselves. Marty Whelan's Golden Hour! :)

Yeah, that's really lovely music. It's sort of following on from the Rat Pack and from lounge jazz and all that. I can't think of anything I'd like better in the morning than the light classical and those genres of music that draw on the light classical tradition. Funny that we are now getting towards golden oldies ages ourselves. Marty Whelan's Golden Hour! :)

Speak for yourself.

Some of us want classical music in the morning with the occasional traffic report and news report, and a minimal amount of chatter.

We used to get it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

The point is that Lyric is supposed to be a classical station. Some will say that's not the case, if that is so why do Lyric FM spokespeople compare their listening figures to BBC Radio 3 in the UK?

People like Yvonne are like squatters in London in the 80's. House's that were in use were taken over and the Squatters would refuse to move, putting in their own furnishings and such like. They also tended to have facial hair, much like Marty.

The station was in much better shape before Marty came along. It had a proper focus. Listening figures are at the same very low level as they ever have been, in fact they may be lower, it's no good pointing out that Marty is up thousands of listeners or indeed that he's down thousands. When listenership is so low you can't accurately measure it. (unless you asked everyone in the country)

It was supposed to be a BBC Radio 3 type station with elements of Classical FM and some speech programmes that would be focused on the world of the Arts.

Never in a million years did anyone think that acts like, The Mamas & The Papas or Peter Gabriel would have a place on the station.

Speak for yourself.

Some of us want classical music in the morning with the occasional traffic report and news report, and a minimal amount of chatter.

We used to get it too.

Please, no more traffic reports. I'm a daily commuter from Kildare to Dublin (sometimes by train, mostly by car) and I can't remember the last time that I heard a traffic report that made me change my journey. It's basically the same old stuff every day. Traffic moving slowly from Con Colbert to Heuston station isn't newsworthy, even though it's reported every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Please, no more traffic reports. I'm a daily commuter from Kildare to Dublin (sometimes by train, mostly by car) and I can't remember the last time that I heard a traffic report that made me change my journey. It's basically the same old stuff every day. Traffic moving slowly from Con Colbert to Heuston station isn't newsworthy, even though it's reported every morning.

+1!!

Along with the M/N1 at Whitehall, north quays from Parkgate St. to Ormond Quay, and the canal heading east from Harold's X to Leeson St.

What a waste of airtime!

And back on topic - stupid traffic reports notwithstanding - yes, please, PLEASE, just a bit of classical, the blessed reports if you must, and NO INANE CHATTER.

It's early in the morning, I usually haven't had any coffee, and that's all I want or am able for.

Please?

(Is there anyone BUT Yvonne on here who disagrees? Why is a minority of one winning :confused:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

abca57c9fe07f5f9bcd461c20fb636b6cbb16789-634x453.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement