Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Please, no more traffic reports. I'm a daily commuter from Kildare to Dublin (sometimes by train, mostly by car) and I can't remember the last time that I heard a traffic report that made me change my journey. It's basically the same old stuff every day. Traffic moving slowly from Con Colbert to Heuston station isn't newsworthy, even though it's reported every morning.

I think that's more apparent than real. Often the report is about weather, which always changes - like fog today, where people were told to switch on their fog lights in affected areas. And you get reports of loose horses all over the country. And everyone remembers the laugh Marty had with Rebecca over the mattress that had escaped on the M50 one morning a while ago. Mind you the banter with the AA people is always great - even if Ronan sometimes tells a risquay joke like he did one morning this week. But it's all to the good and it gives the Twitterati something to complain about. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭jmcc

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    (Is there anyone BUT Yvonne on here who disagrees? Why is a minority of one winning :confused:)
    Well either Yvonne is Marty's greatest fan or works for RTE or is Marty. :) That posting history is quite focused and almost monotopical.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,038 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

jmcc wrote: »
    Well either Yvonne is Marty's greatest fan or works for RTE or is Marty. :) That posting history is quite focused and almost monotopical.

Regards...jmcc

I'm leaning towards one big wind-up, for which we're all falling :D

Must. Not. React.

I'm leaning towards one big wind-up, for which we're all falling :D

Must. Not. React.
    Well I suppose the show has to drum up interest somewhere. :)

Regards...jmcc

Well I suppose the show has to drum up interest somewhere. :)

Regards...jmcc

So if we all ignore her (him), it might go away?

• Advertisement

So if we all ignore her (him), it might go away?
    Or another poster with an operatic character name (that count Aloevera or whatever the last one was who accidentally replied using the wrong login ) might appear and continue the promotion. :)

Regards...jmcc

Or another poster with an operatic character name (that count Aloevera or whatever the last one was who accidentally replied using the wrong login ) might appear and continue the promotion. :)

Regards...jmcc

I actually meant the programme, as bad as she is I wouldn't refer to Yvonne as "it" :D

But now you're telling me there's two of them :eek::eek:

I actually meant the programme, as bad as she is I wouldn't refer to Yvonne as "it" :D

But now you're telling me there's two of them :eek::eek:
    Must be a dastardly plot involving cloning hair follicles from Marty's head to generate fans. :) There's an opera (like the movie "The Boys From Brazil") in it somewhere but it might end up like a Jerry Springer show. If everyone who likes Classical ignores the show, RTE management might consider that a success for Marty's brand of MOR.

Regards...jmcc

Must be a dastardly plot involving cloning hair follicles from Marty's head to generate fans. :) There's an opera (like the movie "The Boys From Brazil") in it somewhere but it might end up like a Jerry Springer show. If everyone who likes Classical ignores the show, RTE management consider that a success for Marty's brand of MOR.

Regards...jmcc

I'm enjoying Niall now on Lyric - just like I enjoyed Marty earlier in the morning.

Do you know that there's a opera named "Jerry Springer"? You see most people like all kinds of music. Marty today had "Come Fly With Me" and the Monks of Glenstall interspersed with the bit of classical during the half hour I was able to listen to it before I went to a funeral. It's all about making people happy.

Good one from a listener today too.
    How does a farmer know how many sheep he has?
    He counts their feet and divides by four. Boom-boom! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I caught a bit of the Music Box earlier today - Trish is in for MW tomorrow morning, for those pretending it's a normal Monday.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Where's Marty? :rolleyes: Trish Taylor is filling in today. :) But she's doing a good job at it, i have to say. And yet I miss the bants and the jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

in my eyes marty whelan can do no wrong:)
    love his show on lyric, in fact love the station. rte aren't the ones getting this right, it's the presenters and the lack of complete drivel that makes it so good to listen to.
    haven't turned on 2fm since forever and have no plans to.
    actually can say the same for their tv stations. have to wonder why i pay my tv licence every year :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Please, no more traffic reports. I'm a daily commuter from Kildare to Dublin (sometimes by train, mostly by car) and I can't remember the last time that I heard a traffic report that made me change my journey. It's basically the same old stuff every day. Traffic moving slowly from Con Colbert to Heuston station isn't newsworthy, even though it's reported every morning.

The point of traffic reports isn't to help drivers, it's to give a free ad for AA.

goose2005 wrote: »
    The point of traffic reports isn't to help drivers, it's to give a free ad for AA.

I think RTE pays for the AA inserts. It's not free.

But it's important for listeners who have to rat race their way to work through traffic. There was a load of straw on my road this morning and this didn't get onto AA Roadwatch but it would have helped if it did.

I loved Marty's joke today but I'd better not share it here in case people say it's not suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    I think RTE pays for the AA inserts. It's not free

I think that's right.
    But it does make a delightful mix of conveying helpful information to those of us on our hectic morning commute and light hearted chat that puts a real smile on your face some days. Humour really is the best medicine for traffic pressure !

(and yes, this morning's joke was quite a cracker :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I think that's right.
    But it does make a delightful mix of conveying helpful information to those of us on our hectic morning commute and light hearted chat that puts a real smile on your face some days. Humour really is the best medicine for traffic pressure !

Talking to yourself is a real sign of schizophrenia. ;)

pconn062 wrote: »
    Talking to yourself is a real sign of schizophrenia. ;)

Some of Marty's monologues can go on a little, but thats the nature of his whimsy! And while it isnt everyone's cup of tea, most people love it.
    Besides, thousands of listeners makes it far from talking to yourself.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Regards...jmcc
    I think that's right.

An almost biblical turn of events. Welcome to our strange little world SaveOurLyric, or is that welcome back.

I often have a smile on my face after tuning out Lyric in the morning. Unfortunately the head is shaking from side to side, not up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Some of Marty's monologues can go on a little, but thats the nature of his whimsy! And while it isnt everyone's cup of tea, most people love it.

Hey Hugo/Yvonne, how's tricks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Did this thread not go off the rails months ago when fake accounts were set up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

It's been pointed out that Lyric's and Marty's figures are so low that they're not measurable in a real sense. One person failing to complete the survey could lose him thousands of listeners. It really becomes guesswork when figures are so low.

Back in the 80's RTE Network 2 wasn't on Air for much of the day. There was some measurement made about how many people were listening and watching the testcard when it was switched on at 11.30 in the Morning. It came in at 30,000 and they played the same 20 or so records over and over again. (it used to double when Pages from Aertel came on!) Marty still isn't reaching those highs

mbur wrote: »
    An almost biblical turn of events. Welcome to our strange little world SaveOurLyric, or is that welcome back.
    Yep. It seems that like many failed RTE DJs, Marty's career has had more attempts at resurrection than Lazarus. If it keeps going like this, the only people listening to him will be the sock puppets, RTE management and the talking cat. Hard to think that Lyric used to be a Classical and Arts station, once.

Regards...jmcc

It's been pointed out that Lyric's and Marty's figures are so low that they're not measurable in a real sense. One person failing to complete the survey could lose him thousands of listeners. It really becomes guesswork when figures are so low.

Back in the 80's RTE Network 2 wasn't on Air for much of the day. There was some measurement made about how many people were listening and watching the testcard when it was switched on at 11.30 in the Morning. It came in at 30,000 and they played the same 20 or so records over and over again. (it used to double when Pages from Aertel came on!) Marty still isn't reaching those highs

I wouldn't be surprised at this. I think at the time the only stations we could listen to legally were RTE so people who liked continuity music might well have enjoyed Network 2's technical transmissions.

The TAM ratings are now very carefully compiled and the figures are highly accurate as they have to be to please the advertising community that the particular programmes are directed at. And Marty Whelan's show is pulling in more and more people with every passing month. It's not at all as simple as one person not completing the survey skewing the stats.

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    I think at the time the only stations we could listen to legally were RTE
    Legally? Hah! Actually the problem for RTE was far worse. People didn't care for RTE's bland, single channel output and were listening to all those pirate stations. (I think that even your beloved Marty started out on Pirate Radio). Those stations were killing RTE in the market so it had to set up 2FM/Radio 2. And as for the TAM ratings, is it true that they ignored the UK/NI TV channels to inflate RTE's market share back then?

Regards...jmcc

Hard to think that Lyric used to be a Classical and Arts station, once.Regards...jmcc

What a strange observation. :confused:
    Are you really suggesting that it isnt ? Surely not. It always has been and still is clearly a classical and arts station with a very broad and inclusive programming policy. Yes, some of the more elitist snobs get huffy about non-classical music presenters getting air time, but if that induces more people to the joys of classical music then that is great public service broadcasting.

Yes, some of the more elitist snobs get huffy about non-classical music presenters getting air time,
    Cliff Richard isn't Classical. I don't want to listen to some Golden Oldies retirement home for failed RTE DJs. Like most people who listen to Lyric for Classical and other music, I don't what to waste time listening to some sub-Tubridean babbling bozo wibbling on about MOTR music and his "listeners".

Regards...jmcc

What a strange observation. :confused:
    Are you really suggesting that it isnt ? Surely not. It always has been and still is clearly a classical and arts station with a very broad and inclusive programming policy. Yes, some of the more elitist snobs get huffy about non-classical music presenters getting air time, but if that induces more people to the joys of classical music then that is great public service broadcasting.

Where do Hugo and Daphne and all that other inane chatter stuff fit into that brief :confused:

That's what I most object to - if he just played music (of any sort!) it wouldn't be so bad, but he won't SHUT UP :mad:

OK, so there is bit of chat and 'lighter' music, but the station is still overwhelmingly classical. A great balance that has something for (almost) everyone, and provides a great gateway for many to the delightful world of classical music.

OK, so there is bit of chat and 'lighter' music, but the station is still overwhelmingly classical. A great balance that has something for (almost) everyone, and provides a great gateway for many to the delightful world of classical music.

I agree with this. I never hear anybody talking badly about the programme in the street.

I do have a big problem with Hugo and Daphne though. It's not on every day. And I think Marty should perform it twice in the programme because some days I have left the house before it starts. It's now only on three times a week.

And on the talk business - in the morning you can't be having wall to wall light classical music or people will go back to sleep. Today or yesterday Marty played the Sleepers' Wake and that got a great laugh in our house. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Unfortunately it is not classical at one of the periods I require it to be classical which is between 7 and 10 in the morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement