Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    With only 17 posts, are you in a position to pronounce on anything here, young sir? Or, indeed, about our output!
    How about someone with 2,695 posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

I might pay moe attention, assuming they're not elitist in terms of smooth music radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Marty's panache and lightness of touch are the pattern of what's to come. No longer Musical Snob FM, but pleasant, soothing music in daylight, with more user-generated content, competitions, phone-ins, requests, and a recalibration of the service to slightly lighter repertoire. Links with sponsors, and subtle inserts and placement. All integrated organically, with a suite of meaningful Pavlovian jingles. Stripping sports news on the hour and other news on the Hal hour. Plus much, much more. And travel opportunities for talent & punters throughout the year. Synergies with commercial supporters and cross-fertilisation with the other services.

Cribbed from the closely guarded Lyric Mission Statement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The increased use of possessive adjectives by Hugo should be enough to close this case now.

What was amusing for a while is now rather tiresome.

Almaviva wrote: »
    Cribbed from the closely guarded Lyric Mission Statement ?

The Mission Statement is a dynamic living document which is owned by all.

• Advertisement

The Mission Statement is a dynamic living document which is owned by all.

Ah yes, but delectably fashioned extempore by the inspired guidance of Marto el Magnifico !

I like to keep it on the cubicle wall, for ready reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭jmcc

Ah yes, but delectably fashioned extempore by the inspired guidance of Marto el Magnifico !
    How very Spanish. Shame he's off to Italy. :)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    How very Spanish. Shame he's off to Italy. :)

Regards...jmcc

Magnifico is Italian. :confused:

Magnifico is Italian. :confused:
    The 'el' was a clue. I think that in Spanish it would mean "great" or "magnificent" but in Italian "gorgeous". That's if Google translate wasn't barfing.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Marty's a northsider born & bred, but with no 'side.' He lives in Malahide but his heart is in Verona for musical reasons I think.

Marty's a northsider born & bred, but with no 'side.' He lives in Malahide but his heart is in Verona for musical reasons I think.

For the likes of this timeless classic I think :

Delightful tune.

For the likes of this timeless classic I think :

Delightful tune.

Is Mart in **** here? I don't see him.

I don't know what happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SaveOurLyricFM

Apart from enjoying the reactions as Y23R's multiple personalities yank chains there does not seem to be much point continuing to read this board. Looking back over the months there seems to be a clear majority here for preserving LyricFM as a service focused on what might be termed 'serious music'. Its the sole channel devoted (supposedly) to such tastes; pop 'n' chat etc., have plenty of channels to pick from none of which to my knowledge is ever infiltrated by classical music. I don't have a favourable opinion of M. Whelan, but he does have his place -and no that is not in a small cell in Guatemala - but on any of the myriad MOTR or pop stations out there. So, what are we to do, we who are denied our preference between the hours of 7 and 10 each weekday. We are not the only losers. Those who have not yet developed an appreciation of the deep beauty of serious music are denied their chance to have substantial exposure to it which is the only way to develop an appreciation of it. Should we march on Montrose? Is there a petition or has that been tried?

Finally !

Apart from enjoying the reactions as Y23R's multiple personalities yank chains there does not seem to be much point continuing to read this board. Looking back over the months there seems to be a clear majority here for preserving LyricFM as a service focused on what might be termed 'serious music'. Its the sole channel devoted (supposedly) to such tastes; pop 'n' chat etc., have plenty of channels to pick from none of which to my knowledge is ever infiltrated by classical music. I don't have a favourable opinion of M. Whelan, but he does have his place -and no that is not in a small cell in Guatemala - but on any of the myriad MOTR or pop stations out there. So, what are we to do, we who are denied our preference between the hours of 7 and 10 each weekday. We are not the only losers. Those who have not yet developed an appreciation of the deep beauty of serious music are denied their chance to have substantial exposure to it which is the only way to develop an appreciation of it. Should we march on Montrose? Is there a petition or has that been tried?

Good evening, sir. And in your first post, you set out an extremist manifesto calculated to arouse the choleric erogenous zones of the easily enraged with superior, minority, exclusive, dreary tastes in hard classical. Do you have training in Trotskyist entryist techniques of infiltration.

The silent majority have spoken through a 10% increase in listener ship book on book, with correspondingly satisfying enhancements on reach and other measures, across all groups, including the most desirable to sponsors & advertisers.

A subtly recalibrated extension of the audience-winning formula across daytime is the way forward. The heavier repertoire, from Strauss up to Beethoven will continue to be given exposure commensurate with listener interest, largely after dark. This is when this music was written to be played, let us not forget.

Yours democratically.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Some people have short memories. Back on page 91
    The purpose of 2 is not Profit, it's Choice. That's what Public Service means.

What is good for 2FM might also apply to Lyric I though.

Of course my hopes were dashed when, on the same page, I read this:

Lyric is being kept on a Steady as She Goes basis. Mart and the Team, as the flagship, have shown how to pull in the punters and the advertisers have begun to nibble. This is going to be spread out into the daytime schedule, to lighten the mix with more listener interaction, more competitions and more listener-generated content. Newstalk and 4FM are the audiences that will probably be pressed on. Some good insiders in magazines are already seized with enthusiasm for this.

This sounds nothing like public service. This is profit driven radio at its selfish best. I can imagine Yvonne, Marty Hugo et al wetting themselves over the prospect of landing some big multinational advertisers with big pockets to inflict their wares onto an ususpecting Irish public. This is radio for the highest bidder and public service be damned.

Good luck with you campaign lads. I think you will find you are dealing with people who will say anything to get out of a tight spot but nothing will change. Marty and co have their eyes firmly fixed on the 'big time'

mbur wrote: »
    Marty and co have their eyes firmly fixed on the 'big time'
    Yep but Marty didn't make it in the 'big time'. He didn't make it in New York either (to paraphrase the chairman of the board). He was exiled from the main street of 2FM to the Tobacco Road of LyricFM. Now he wants to paint it black with his MOR taste in music. Perhaps he has a few real (as opposed to imaginary) fans and they would follow him anywhere - all 140 of them. :)

Regards...jmcc

Yep but Marty didn't make it in the 'big time'. He didn't make it in New York either (to paraphrase the chairman of the board). He was exiled from the main street of 2FM to the Tobacco Road of LyricFM. Now he wants to paint it black with his MOR taste in music. Perhaps he has a few real (as opposed to imaginary) fans and they would follow him anywhere - all 140 of them. :)

Regards...jmcc

The Verona-Venice Orient Express, as we're calling it, has 140 paying guests, in addition to the team travelling by private hire. That's one per character of a tweet. Make of that what you will, but it's spooky!

• Advertisement

The Verona-Venice Orient Express, as we're calling it, has 140 paying guests, in addition to the team travelling by private hire. That's one per character of a tweet. Make of that what you will, but it's spooky!
    I suppose if you are into Numerology and Astrology it might be. But then there are people who like the movie 'Pi' and those who prefer the movie 'The life of Pi'. How many coaches/busses would 140 people occupy?

Regards...jmcc

I suppose if you are into Numerology and Astrology it might be. But then there are people who like the movie 'Pi' and those who prefer the movie 'The life of Pi'. How many coaches/busses would 140 people occupy?

Regards...jmcc

I saw the one with the tiger and liked it. It was like being in an imaginary world.

I've no time for astrology at all. I'm not even getting up tonight to see these shooting stars. Mart said he saw a couple out by Portmarnock on his way.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85960900&postcount=1437

Looks like SaveOurLyricFM is another addition to the growing lists of accounts held by one poster.

Edit: The above quote was posted Today, 21:07 - the reply in the link to a non-existent post was almost two hours ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85960900&postcount=1437

Looks like SaveOurLyricFM is another addition to the growing lists of accounts held by one poster.

That is unsettling. I think it was peremptory and even dictatorial in tone. We shall not be cowed by keyboard warrior sock puppets.

I think I replied to that.

Give it a rest.

Give it a rest.

I don't entirely follow you, Frank.

Yvonne

Of course not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Yvonne

I do.. Both accounts suspended until further notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Regards...jmcc

I wouldn't mind the music so much. It does have its low points. I wonder will he play Rolf Harris again? It's the chatter and fake bonhomie that has this listener reeching for the 'off' button. They seem to have the AA roadwatch team teed up to have the chat with M and it is painfull to say the least. I'm usually on the road and a chat with Marty is not what I want from AA roadwatch. Thank the gods he hasn't got to the newsreaders yet.

Later on I was listening to M on his own and it occurred to me that he was like a madman talking to himself. It was only towards the end of his burbling when he told a joke about two dead women that I felt he was actually trying to communicate with an 'audience'. Strange days indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement