Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

It'd be the BAI, not Comreg, but it doesn't matter. Fella who writes a column for the Sindo says he likes a thing on Marty in The Morning on lyric, not much can be done about that.
    What was interesting about that column was that yer man Masterson made it very clear that even he, while endorsing this claptrap, couldn't bring himself to listen to the music on it......
    These days, I dress to loud doses of Coldplay, Snow Patrol and Antony & the Johnsons and then channel-hop to Marty and wait excitedly for the post to be delivered.

I am, of course, scarlet for Mr Masterson. Elderly man trying to 'get down with' middle aged people. It does illustrate, however, that even Mr Whelan's greatest supporter in the print media, who happens to be a close friend and professional contact, can't bear the terrible musical selections on Marty in the Morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Marty had the Mary poppins soundtrack out in force this morning so he did. Jesus he is painful to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Marty had the Mary poppins soundtrack out in force this morning so he did. Jesus he is painful to listen to.

I think if you check the play lists of recent times he's banged this out a fair bit or someone has!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I presume that's because the composer of the Mary Poppins music died this week?

(in no way defending him!)

Genealogy Forum Mod

It was the anniversary of Rossini's birth on Feb 29th last - only celebrated once in four. He didn't get quite as aroused about that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

It was the anniversary of Rossini's birth on Feb 29th last - only celebrated once in four. He didn't get quite as aroused about that.

Game, set and match to Timmy there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Dirigent wrote: »
    Speaking of playlists, one thing I've noticed recently is the quality of the music in the presenter-free "Lyric through the Night" program which precedes Whelan's crap. Someone (or is it a computer program?) picks a wide variety of good music, up until 7am. So there is some appreciation of quality in Lyric!

I wish that were true but...

(From Wikipedia)
    Euroclassic Notturno is a six-hour sequence of classical music recordings assembled by BBC Radio from material supplied by members of the European Broadcasting Union and streamed back to those broadcasters by satellite for use in their overnight classical-music schedules. The recordings used are taken not from commercial CDs but from earlier (usually live) radio broadcasts.[1][2]
    The sequence is put together by a small BBC team in London, and gaps are provided in the schedule to allow for local origination of explanatory material in each broadcaster's national language (written programme notes in English are supplied by the BBC some weeks in advance), top-of-the-hour news summaries, etc. In the United Kingdom, however, the sequence is broadcast on BBC Radio 3 without news.

Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_the_night

At lyric last time I listened overnight there were no links whatsoever. Just one piece after another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

Never got round to posting this. Marty on Daily Show 2 weeks ago. Starts at about 30 minutes. Great quote from Mart in it "Lyric is a very open station, very open to ideas". What new ideas has MW brought to Lyric Fm? Is Marty really left of field? A cat's eye couldn't be more middle of the road.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1138317

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

I don't know about that Maggie. Lyric certainly appears open to new ways of wrecking a station.

You would have to say that Lyric is probably the only classical station on the planet that would even consider giving 3 hours a day to a cheesy game show host. A lot of the less imaginative stations select informed presenters who (I know this is hard to believe) think that the show should be about the music rather than about them.

I wonder was the new idea Marty pitched along the lines.

"You know the bit about classical music? Do we have to? Wouldn't it be gas altogether if we just did my usual sort of programme with lots of inane chat and see if anyone noticed. We could even call it Marty in the morning?"

This morning I really started to think that marty reads this thread daily and every morning see's how far he can go f*ck me off.

This morning.

Sting....STING....ARE YOU KIDDING ME MARTY!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

doomed wrote: »
    I don't know about that Maggie. Lyric certainly appears open to new ways of wrecking a station.

You would have to say that Lyric is probably the only classical station on the planet that would even consider giving 3 hours a day to a cheesy game show host. A lot of the less imaginative stations select informed presenters who (I know this is hard to believe) think that the show should be about the music rather than about them.

I wonder was the new idea Marty pitched along the lines.

"You know the bit about classical music? Do we have to? Wouldn't it be gas altogether if we just did my usual sort of programme with lots of inane chat and see if anyone noticed. We could even call it Marty in the morning?"

First of all, lyric isnt a classical radio station, if you listened to it you'd know they play jazz, contemporary music, music from the musicals and movies, traditional and world music as well as classical and opera.

As regards Marty on breakfast, the format of his show would be arrived at in conjunction with producers at the station. Breakfast is traditionally a busy part of the day, people getting ready for or commuting to work, getting the kids ready for school etc the emphasis is on 'lite', the music is more upbeat, links are greater in number as you have to incorporate time checks, traffic reports, a look at the news papers and popular culture observations, read out a few texts etc.. marty might not be everyones cup of tea but he, for the most part is very likeable and does 'lite' in the mornings which many people prefer over the drudge and / or juvenile silliness which characterises breakfast shows on a couple of other stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

heybaby wrote: »
    As regards Marty on breakfast, the format of his show would be arrived at in conjunction with producers at the station. Breakfast is traditionally a busy part of the day, people getting ready for or commuting to work, getting the kids ready for school etc the emphasis is on 'lite', the music is more upbeat, links are greater in number as you have to incorporate time checks, traffic reports, a look at the news papers and popular culture observations, read out a few texts etc.. marty might not be everyones cup of tea but he, for the most part is very UNLIKEABLE and does 'lite' in the mornings which many people prefer over the drudge and / or juvenile silliness which characterises breakfast shows on a couple of other stations.
    Fixed that for ya!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eminoz

Breakfast is traditionally a busy part of the day, people getting ready for or commuting to work, getting the kids ready for school etc the emphasis is on 'lite'

That’s radio 2 then.
    This is the point: Lyric was supposed to be an oasis of CALM... It was even advertised as an alternative to the busy-ness elsewhere. Couldn’t run that ad ever again:
    Complaint to ASAI: “Exhibit 1: “I GIVE YOU MITM!”
    Case upheld – no further evidence required.
    GRRRGH!

First of all, lyric isnt a classical radio station, if you listened to it you'd know they play jazz, contemporary music, music from the musicals and movies, traditional and world music as well as classical and opera.

Where do you see the following fitting in to Lyric's remit so? (From last Friday)
    Track Name: At Last
    Complete Work Name: At Last
    Composer: Gordon
    Soloist: Etta James (Vocal)

Track Name: Blueberry Hill
    Complete Work Name: Blueberry Hill
    Composer: Stock/Lewis/Rose
    Soloist: Fats Domino
    (Right after mozart)

Track Name: Someone Like You
    Complete Work Name: Someone Like You
    Composer: Morrison, Van
    Soloist: Van Morrison (Vocal)
    Album Title: Bridget Jones Diary 2
    (Right after The William Tell Overture)

Track Name: Almost Like Being in Love
    Complete Work Name: Almost Like Being in Love
    Composer: Lerner, Alan Jay/Loewe, Frederick
    Soloist: Bruce Forsyth!!!!!!! (Vocal)
    Orchestra: Chris Walden Big Band
    (After part of the Nutcracker Suite, Tchaikovsky)

Yes they play Jazz, mostly on Jazz Alley with Donald Helm, a credible Jazz presenter.
    Ditto Movies and Musicals with Aedin Gormley - knows her stuff.
    Reels to Ragas - Gerry Godley - font of knowledge and respected promoter.
    Trad with Ellen Cranitch - musician etc.
    There is a context and authority in what these people and their production teams do.

There is a large emphasis on Classical on lyric with good reason. That's what Michael D Higgins as Arts Minister in the mid-nineties directed RTE to do. To add something to the radio landscape that would not be provided by the private sector.
    Good luck to Mr Whelan. Let him take his Sting and his Van Morrison and his Bruce Forsyth and **** off to Sunshine or 4FM and if you like it so much, Heybaby, I'm sure you won't care from what frequency it's emmitted.
    RTE undertook to do something under direction from the government, who owns RTE on behalf of the Irish people. With every Fats Domino, Sting,Michael Buble and Carly Simon track played on MITM, it's wilfully disobeying the direction given it by those charged with overseeing these things on behalf of the Irish people.

This is a broader issue than Mr Whelan being 'likeable' or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

With the exception of three men, all other presenters on Lyric realise that it's a music station, their remit is to introduce a piece of music (from whatever genre) and provide a little information on it. They don't hum along with it, diddle-idle with it or anything else.

The other three (Whelan, Gaybo and Hamilton) believe THEY are the attraction and that the music is peripheral to their exalted egos. Lyric management allows (nay, apparently encourages) this. For this reason, I for one will only switch to Lyric after 10:00am, when I can listen to Niall Carroll's smooth professionalism.

Yes, I know that the station plays other music. I just referred to it as a classical station because that is what is supposed to be predominantly for and listing all of the other minority genres takes too long.

And yes I do listen to Lyric but not MITM. Its like a farmer who loves walking in his favourite field but avoids stepping in the cow pats.
    As regards Marty on breakfast, the format of his show would be arrived at in conjunction with producers at the station. Breakfast is traditionally a busy part of the day, people getting ready for or commuting to work, getting the kids ready for school etc the emphasis is on 'lite', the music is more upbeat, links are greater in number as you have to incorporate time checks, traffic reports, a look at the news papers and popular culture observations, read out a few texts etc.. marty might not be everyones cup of tea but he, for the most part is very likeable and does 'lite' in the mornings which many people prefer over the drudge and / or juvenile silliness which characterises breakfast shows on a couple of other stations

You are supposing that Lyric is supposed to mirror all the other morning shows just with an older presenter. The whole purpose of Lyric was to do something different. If you want vacuous babble from a cheery DJ plus texts and all the rest, you have a massive choice across the wavebands. If you want to listen to soothing music without an irritating presenter foisting their "personality" on you you used to be able to turn to Lyric. Now RTE have taken that away.

That's why people on this thread feel so strongly about it.

Stumbled onto Lyric today, NO MARTY!!!! Happy days!

I'm sure he's just off using his peter mark VIP voucher he won for most fashionable so and so

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Did they mention anything about tomorrow?

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Did they mention anything about tomorrow?

Sadly back to normal! :mad:

• Advertisement

was man flu :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Stumbled,or checked to see if he was on,so you would have something to post about? How does one stumble on lyric?:D

DT100 wrote: »
    Stumbled,or checked to see if he was on,so you would have something to post about? How does one stumble on lyric?:D

Personally I stumble a lot at that time of the day.

DT100 wrote: »

You don't just don't get! Lyric lovers live in hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I was starting to enjoy Marty's show, but now I find he talks far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Oracle wrote: »
    I was starting to enjoy Marty's show, but now I find he talks far too much.
    My problem isn't that he talks too much. It's what he talks about. If he was playing decent music and spending all the time he spends waffling on elucidating the audience about what was just played etc it'd be fine.
    Just the sheer, hellish inanity of it all...

(off topic, no mention of Marty at all at all at all...)

Happy days! New program on Lyric this afternoon, presented by the wonderfully lyrical Thomas Hampson on American songs! I usually have to dig out the old CD collection to avoid Gaybo's grunge at this time on a Sunday!

A quick google brings up this: http://www.songofamerica.net/cgi-bin/iowa/radio/index.html

Is it possible that marty is taking backhanders for product placement on lyric?

Today was a bizzare 5 minutes were he thanks a listener for a very specific jar of manuka honey then on and on about the benefits of manuka etc.

I'm sure he named the brand at least twice during this little stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

With the exception of three men, all other presenters on Lyric realise that it's a music station, their remit is to introduce a piece of music (from whatever genre) and provide a little information on it. They don't hum along with it, diddle-idle with it or anything else.

The other three (Whelan, Gaybo and Hamilton) believe THEY are the attraction and that the music is peripheral to their exalted egos. Lyric management allows (nay, apparently encourages) this. For this reason, I for one will only switch to Lyric after 10:00am, when I can listen to Niall Carroll's smooth professionalism.

In fairness a lot of the music on Lyric is boring enough. About 10% of classical music is nice to listen to. The other 90% is like listening to a cat scratch it's paws on a window to be fair. I'd rather listen to the presenters talk for a while.

• Advertisement

or choose another station, perhaps?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement