Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

plasmaguy wrote: »
    In fairness a lot of the music on Lyric is boring enough. About 10% of classical music is nice to listen to. The other 90% is like listening to a cat scratch it's paws on a window to be fair. I'd rather listen to the presenters talk for a while.

With respect, you've got a large range of choice, from commercial pop/rock/jazz, etc. The USP for Lyric was that it wasn't to be the same as FM104/98FM/2FM . . . . . . . . . .

And classical music is like a well-settled pint of Guinness, an acquired taste. Stick with the Coors Light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

plasmaguy wrote: »
    In fairness a lot of the music on Lyric is boring enough. About 10% of classical music is nice to listen to. The other 90% is like listening to a cat scratch it's paws on a window to be fair. I'd rather listen to the presenters talk for a while.

Perhaps the term "music station" was confusing. It certainly seems to have flummoxed Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

A stations breakfast show not being one of it's most listened to programmes is a bit unusual.

Top 5 Programmes

1. Liz Nolan's Classic Drive(55,000)
    2. Sunday With Gay Byrne(47,000)
    3. Niall Carroll's Classical Daytime(44,000)
    4. Lorcan Murray's Weekend Drive, Sunday (40,000)
    5. Lorcan Murray's Weekend Drive, Saturday (38,000)

http://www.rte.ie/radio/listeners/

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

EchoO wrote: »
    A stations breakfast show not being one of it's most listened to programmes is a bit unusual.
    But in the case of Lyric FM I think most of us are in agreement as to why that is!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BrunoGeist

Oracle wrote: »
    I was starting to enjoy Marty's show, but now I find he talks far too much.

The same here. I came to Ireland 7 year ago and I'm not familiar with past activities of Mr. Whelan. So his appearance as a Lyric presenter has been quite new to me at the time. After a year or so of listening I can tell that his morning show regresses more-less into american songbook/nasty crossover signers interlaced with some well worn classical pieces. And this Hugo stuff with his pseudo upper class gibberish and Schroedinger the cat (oh how sophisticated, hope little people like us won't get it. "Ha. Ha.").

I wouldn't mind him talking in between, but it's clear he has no idea about classical music. Sometimes I think he takes his knowledge from CD inlays.

• Advertisement

BrunoGeist wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind him talking in between, but it's clear he has no idea about classical music. Sometimes I think he takes his knowledge from CD inlays.

I'm lucky in that I attend many live classical concerts in Dublin every year, and have done so for many years. I would recognise Mr Whelan's face from his TV appearances, but I have never seen him grace a performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Monday (sans Marty, if I can borrow from the pretensious Hugo's book) was a joy! Can't recall the lady presenters name, she just introduced and played the music without engaging in the juvenile claptrap that Marty seems to find hilarious. The playlist was just right for the morning that was in it...and without the usual mindless chatter, quite a good choice.

Does Marty ever listen to how embarrassing, how cringeworthy he actually sounds when attempting his poormans' Terry Wogan?

I have to admit to being forced to tune into MITM of late because the news programmes on other stations have finally beaten me down, I can barely listen to the dour headlines in the morning at this stage.

But Marty is doing his damn best to send me back to Boring-Morning-Ireland with his meandering ould bollox-talk and of course, the highlight of proceedings - Hugo's witty post........I mean who writes that crap? Worse still, who in their right mind would find it entertaining or, gawdhelpus, funny?

Dirigent wrote: »
    I'm lucky in that I attend many live classical concerts in Dublin every year, and have done so for many years. I would recognise Mr Whelan's face from his TV appearances, but I have never seen him grace a performance.

Ditto. Haven't seen him there as yet. I've seen Mr. George Hook instead:-). But I almost never attend the most expensive concerts, just these 18 quid a ticket ones given by our beloved NSO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Sometimes I think he takes his knowledge from CD inlays.
    I don't think he even gets that far.

The same here. I came to Ireland 7 year ago and I'm not familiar with past activities of Mr. Whelan. So his appearance as a Lyric presenter has been quite new to me at the time. After a year or so of listening I can tell that his morning show regresses more-less into american songbook/nasty crossover signers interlaced with some well worn classical pieces. And this Hugo stuff with his pseudo upper class gibberish and Schroedinger the cat (oh how sophisticated, hope little people like us won't get it. "Ha. Ha.").

europa11 wrote: »

But Marty is doing his damn best to send me back to Boring-Morning-Ireland with his meandering ould bollox-talk and of course, the highlight of proceedings - Hugo's witty post........I mean who writes that crap? Worse still, who in their right mind would find it entertaining or, gawdhelpus, funny?

Whelan's concerto for two windbags perhaps?

• Advertisement

doomed wrote: »
    Whelan's concerto for two windbags perhaps?

Sophisticated but it'd require from dear Marty a basic knowledge in composition, I'm affraid. As a licence payer I co-fund Mr. Whelan's salary so I think I can at least whine about the quality of the program I pay for, don't you think?

Sophisticated but it'd require from dear Marty a basic knowledge in composition, I'm affraid. As a licence payer I co-fund Mr. Whelan's salary so I think I can at least whine about the quality of the program I pay for, don't you think?

My friend. I agree with you! We are entitled to complain about what is being done at Lyric. That is the reason I joined this site in the first place.

Did you seriously think the "windbag" reference was aimed at you and Europa11? How could that be when we are in the presence of Marty and Hugo?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

Well I like him.

He is a ray of positivity in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Well I like him.

He is a ray of positivity in the mornings.

So you're that texter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

MW usually does the eurovision so will probably be gone all next week. Doesnt make much difference to me, couldnt be bothered with Lyric anymore. It's gone beyond a joke and even MWs stand-in won't be allowed free reign to choose musical content. There are too many bad presenters now to even give anything a chance. I haven't listened to Lyric in 6 months, any good shows/presenters after popping up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

any good shows/presenters after popping up?

John Kelly - JK Ensemble
    Bernard Clarke - Nova

MadsL wrote: »
    John Kelly - JK Ensemble
    Bernard Clarke - Nova

JK can present some excellent music, but he has the really annoying habit of following a really good piece of classical music with some horrendous jazz. He seems to think it's like a referendum campaign, requiring balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

JK can present some excellent music, but he has the really annoying habit of following a really good piece of classical music with some horrendous jazz. He seems to think it's like a referendum campaign, requiring balance.

There's nothing horrendous about Jazz. Lyric needs more Jazz.

MadsL wrote: »
    John Kelly - JK Ensemble
    Bernard Clarke - Nova

Isn't John Kelly great. He doesn't rate Mozart, so I heard Liz Nolan praising him for this last year. Bernard Clarke is fine, just not my cup of tea.

Was looking at the MITM page on the Lyric FM site. He has a new section there showing video clips from his archive. Mostly based around Marty visiting the zoo! Typically with RTE it's a tie-in with something coming up on television. His tenure on Lyric has become a farce. Lyric FM should be subjected to an audit from the EBU. It would be closed down promptly. The situation there is a microcosm of what happened in the government. Jobs for the boys, slapdash performances and let the public be damned as long as all the insiders are happy. Marty is Bertie Ahern, merely the face of all that is wrong in the organisation.

Can we have a Eurovision every week of the year? It would be worth it knowing there's a quality fallback channel to switch to if you get Referendum Rash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Is HE off air?

I need some sort of mailing list that tells me when it's safe to wake up to Lyric?

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Is HE off air?

I need some sort of mailing list that tells me when it's safe to wake up to Lyric?

He's off in Baku feeding his Jedward fetish. And with any luck he'll strike up a relationship with Derek Mooney, set up home out there and we'll all live happily every after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

I noticed this morning how quickly the AA road watch report is with Rebbecca and the gang when Marty is not there.

"Here's Rebbecca with the traffic"

Quick report

"thanks"

No flirting, No bad jokes.

More of the same please.

Marty's programme generates a lot more comment when the principal isn't presenting it.

Says a lot, doesn't it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

He's off in Baku feeding his Jedward fetish. And with any luck he'll strike up a relationship with Derek Mooney, set up home out there and we'll all live happily every after.

Wonderful news. I'm re-tuning my radio as soon as I get home. :D

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think it was last week, when RH concluded if MW calls her a Greek goddess, it makes him nothing less than an Italian Stallion. WTF? I bet some dirty winks were exchanged, turning this program into another one of "Carry On" series. Although I remember there's one already called "Carry on Dick" so maybe they simply work on radio version of it, who knows. Dear Marty, leave it to Sid James!

This week is much better I have to say. You can feel they try to move pieces around to actually make more sense, although driving without Buble and Bocelli seems so strange :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Folks you must be all be rejoicing that the mustachioed silverfox is at Eurovision this week. Enjoy your break, you deserve it. :)

Folks you must be all be rejoicing that the mustachioed silverfox is at Eurovision this week. Enjoy your break, you deserve it. :)

I'm hoping he'll need at least a week to get over the jet lag.

And a month to get over the disappointment.

Nice weather and Marty in Baku. Tell Dawkins there could be a god.

• Advertisement

For anyone missing Marty and all the intimate details of his life that he shares with us on a daily basis, this article may help ease the pain.:)

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/no-need-for-home-comforts-with-all-this-food-3116292.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement