Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ferrier

It would be helpful if he thought about what he was going to say before he opened the mike. This morning he told us he had a crumpled piece of paper in his pocket, which he said his mother gave him saying " you might need that." He read snatches from it, and the result was one of the most garbled links I have ever heard. Have they no quality control in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Marty's music choices don't generally bother me, except for a couple of things: way, way, way too much Ennio Morricone (I have nothing against him, but...); and if I never hear "I Love ‘Perris’" by those two dudes (don't know, don't care who they are) again, I'll die happy. Obviously, though, that's just me and my choices. Everyone has their own thing.

The only other two problems I have with him are regarding his delivery:
    He "ups and downs" his vocal tones, so that you (or maybe just I – but I have no hearing problems) often can't make out the end of his sentences, and therefore don't catch who or what it was you were listening to.

He has (to me) an annoying "to be" construction (as in "he to be", "she to be" instead of saying "he is/was" she is/was"). I try really hard not to be a language peever, but this one often makes me change the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Eeden wrote: »
    The only other two problems I have with him are regarding his delivery:
    He "ups and downs" his vocal tones, so that you (or maybe just I – but I have no hearing problems) often can't make out the end of his sentences, and therefore don't catch who or what it was you were listening to.

Do you know of any other presenter on a supposed classical station who thinks it's appropriate to "dum da da dum da da" after playing a track? Anywhere? Even on the cheapest, nastiest internet radio?

Lyric are clearly blooding new presenters with some musical knowledge (the Sunday afternoon slot), hopefully this will hasten the demise of the dross like Whelan and Hamilton, and allow the music to be the attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

El Prat maintaining his usual high standard this morning. Tuned in just in time to catch that all time classic, the theme to "Sesame Street".:eek:

Probably forgot to bring in his trusty copy of "K-Tel's 100 Greatest Movie Themes.......Ever!" this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

europa11 wrote: »
    El Prat maintaining his usual high standard this morning. Tuned in just in time to catch that all time classic, the theme to "Sesame Street".:eek:

Probably forgot to bring in his trusty copy of "K-Tel's 100 Greatest Movie Themes.......Ever!" this morning.

Are you serious? Sesame Street?

• Advertisement

Are you serious? Sesame Street?

'fraid so. :eek:

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/marty/1546037.html

Scroll down about halfway on the playlist to be met by this gem of information:-

Track Name: Sesame Street
    Complete Work Name: Sesame Street
    Composer: Raposa/ Hart/ Stone
    Additional Performers: The Singers Unlimited
    Conductor: Masterpieces
    Record Label: Motor Music/Mps Records
    Record Catalogue Number: 523521-2
    Duration: 02:55

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

It might be a good idea if a forum mod started a new poll because my initial positivity towards Whelan when he started this show, and when I first voted in this thread, is far from how I currently feel about what the man has done to this station.

Stop talking you clown! Stop! And get in tune with classical music, not with your eternally waffling ego and bad, dreadfully bad and themeless, music choices. You've turned LyricFM into a tabloid station. Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Rebelheart wrote: »
    It might be a good idea if a forum mod started a new poll because my initial positivity towards Whelan when he started this show, and when I first voted in this thread, is far from how I currently feel about what the man has done to this station.

Stop talking you clown! Stop! And get in tune with classical music, not with your eternally waffling ego and bad, dreadfully bad and themeless, music choices. You've turned LyricFM into a tabloid station. Shame.

Hard to know whether it is MW's fault or RTE management. Put an incontinent labrador in a room with a new white carpet and lock the door. The result wont be pretty but is it the dog's fault or yours? Give MW a programme and you will get the verbal equivalent. At his age he probably can't help it. The only difference I suspect is that the lab is not particularly proud of his, em output.

Apologies to labradors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

New Poll added as requested

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

bbability wrote: »
    New Poll added as requested
    It's not letting me vote again - also the options aren't really in line with the old ones; despite the colourful language, I think the point of it was to ask if Marty is putting people off the station in the mornings rather than whether or not people listen to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

No Marty today. Trish Taylor= fine music and a beautiful, soothing voice. Don't know if she is on for the week's remainder. Played a beautiful piano piece by a Latvian composer after half nine, really miss having a good presenter in the morning. When you think of the things that contribute to your quality of life and happiness, the absence of something to listen to in the morning has really upset me. I realise that it sounds ridiculous but even thinking back to the days when Carl Corcoran hosted Lyric Breakfast, it was much more enjoyable getting up in the morning.

I cannot vote in the poll either

Can only hope that she (Trish Taylor) is on for the week. Find myself having to flit back to the dour world of Morning Ireland most days as I can only take increasingly small doses of El Prat's "style".

His latest diatribes surrounding the demise of a cat with a Spanish moniker who used to write letters to him (Hugo reincarnated as a cat! after all it's M-I-T-M, who knows?) may have brought a side benefit and with any luck Marty is so stricken with grief at the passing of this gifted feline that he has decided to hang up his boots, speak in a normal manner in polite company and consign his collection of "The Very Best of......." CD's to the attic forevermore.

If not, then please Lyric, leave Trish in charge until Friday at least. We need some respite.

Not directly MW related, but just to show how the relentless dumbing down of Lyric progresses, I see they've taken the lid off Uncle Gaybo's coffin again for Sunday afternoons. You would think they'd have some sense: every other broadcaster features wall-to-wall sports, and what does Lyric management put on? A droning old uncle telling stale stories, occasionally accompanied by forgettable jazz.

It's slightly better than Hamilton's attempt at increasing his dismal listenership by playing the worst "cross-over" crap he can find and then reading out all the texts he gets in about it, a tactic that appears to be straight out of the Gerry Ryan playbook. An "Arts and Music" station? Not any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

i quit like Gaybo on Lyric TBH. I find it relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

torrentum wrote: »
    i quit like Gaybo on Lyric TBH. I find it relaxing.

Gay would be most unimpressed with you dropping an E and in the process giving a misleading impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hugo and Gaybo back the same week. And I was mellowing to Marty a bit (apart from the cringe-inducing flirting with the traffic person)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Steven Jay

Listen folks, the reason marty is on lyric fm is because the head of RTE Radio is a good friend of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Steven Jay wrote: »
    Listen folks, the reason marty is on lyric fm is because the head of RTE Radio is a good friend of his.

makes sense.. because the choice of music he plays is awful, middle of the road ****e, week by week he is playing less classical music,

Happy days! A Marty free morning, I'm enjoying Trish's melliflous voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PODboy

RTE Lyric needs urgently to look at where it is going - the audience for classical is so small - it should follow the BBC format and have a BBC Radio 2 format day-time -with Classical and Jazz at night time. Time to close down RTE Radio 2FM - no raison d'etre - ask any young person - they say its not credible and its presenters are too old and out of touch with young Ireland. I am asking my TD to ask this question in the Dail to Pat Rabitte - How can RTE justify a 24 hour Classical Station with a handful of listeners - as little as 12,000 during day-time - and RTE Radio 2 FM with a dwindling audience and almost an embarrassment. ? RTE Radio One should drop all Music Programmes and concentrate on News and Sport like Radio Five Live.......actually its time to start a thread on this....

• Advertisement

Dirigent wrote: »
    Happy days! A Marty free morning, I'm enjoying Trish's melliflous voice.

Reminds you of what the morning programme could be like if RTE cared. Business as usual today. Left Lyric on in the hope it was still Trish, a talented presenter who doesn't need her name in the title. Alas, it was not to be. The flow of verbal manure started on cue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

Latest BAI shows that Lyric's audience share on weekdays from 7am-7pm has fallen by .2%, from 1.9% in July 2011 to 1.7% in July 2012.

This means that Lyric has lost more than 10 per cent of their listenership in one year. I am one of the many who has left Lyric. Heads should roll due to this result and may i suggest that Mr.Whelan for redundancy. He has utterly destroyed the tone of the station. Everyone associated with this shambles should be told to pack their backs. New blood is badly needed.

Latest BAI shows that Lyric's audience share on weekdays from 7am-7pm has fallen by .2%, from 1.9% in July 2011 to 1.7% in July 2012.

This means that Lyric has lost more than 10 per cent of their listenership in one year. I am one of the many who has left Lyric. Heads should roll due to this result and may i suggest that Mr.Whelan for redundancy. He has utterly destroyed the tone of the station. Everyone associated with this shambles should be told to pack their backs. New blood is badly needed.

100% Maggie. Big loss in Dublin as well.

Maybe the penny will drop at last but I wouldn't bet on it.

What made Lyric special was that it was about the music and not the usual vacuous "RTE personality" rubbish. MITM is a witless celebration of all that Lyric was not supposed to be and it is contaminating the station. The tragedy is there are still great people presenting but after 3 hours of inane rubbish every day a lot of people won't bother.

I still listen but solely to the individual presenters. My affection for the station has gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

GREAT NEWS !!! Marty to become longterm 'Voice of Lyric'.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/whelan-im-not-frightened-of-working-into-my-70s-3276071.html

He's not going away you know.

Sandwlch wrote: »
    GREAT NEWS !!! Marty to become longterm 'Voice of Lyric'.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/whelan-im-not-frightened-of-working-into-my-70s-3276071.html

He's not going away you know.

Cringe! This line line caught my eye:
    They wouldn't be offering me much of a package anyway.

Because you're worthless, now sod off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Dirigent wrote: »
    Cringe! This line line caught my eye:
    They wouldn't be offering me much of a package anyway.
    Because you're worthless, now sod off.

I think you are misinterpreting him. What he meant was that he knows that Lyric knows he is their most valuable asset and their pace setter for quality radio for the next twenty years. And so they have no interest in offering him any package that would risk having him consider leaving. Marty knows his worth. Clearly.

Sandwlch wrote: »
    I think you are misinterpreting him. What he meant was that he knows that Lyric knows he is their most valuable asset and their pace setter for quality radio for the next twenty years. And so they have no interest in offering him any package that would risk having him consider leaving. Marty knows his worth. Clearly.

Nice one. The idea of Marty being a pace setter for quality radio is a lot funnier than anything he is every likely to say on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Hello - I just joined here because I went looking for comment on the web on this and found your boards.ie thread. Sorry if this is off the wall or mean and I hope I am posting correctly.
    Did anyone hear Lyric FM this morning with Marty Whelan? I think it was a 3 hour advert for Nevin Maguire's restaurant + his new book with mostly talk. I have no problem with Marty Whelan or with Neven Maguire as people but was this proper? I am going to listen back if its on their site because I cannot believe my ears. How much would this have cost as an advert?

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    Hello - I just joined here because I went looking for comment on the web on this and found your boards.ie thread. Sorry if this is off the wall or mean and I hope I am posting correctly.
    Did anyone hear Lyric FM this morning with Marty Whelan? I think it was a 3 hour advert for Nevin Maguire's restaurant + his new book with mostly talk. I have no problem with Marty Whelan or with Neven Maguire as people but was this proper? I am going to listen back if its on their site because I cannot believe my ears. How much would this have cost as an advert?

Tuned in and out this morning (as I usually do tbh as Morning Ireland can be equally depressing and annoying to go through an entire shift), and yes, you're right, with one exception when there was an actual piece of music playing it was non-stop plugging of Neven and some other eateries as well. Mr. Whelan et fils will have some bit of exercising to do after Christmas one thinks but at least the wallet won't have any slimming problems.

Shameless carry-on. Just goes to show the contempt Whelan has for his listeners and lack of any semblance of management in Lyric.

It would indeed be interesting to compare todays published playlist with that of a "normal" day - I use the word normal advisedly as El Prato's regular verbal garbage (daily missive from himself "Hugo", the godawful "and him to be"'s and flirtation with the traffic and weather gals is bad enough. But again, and back to your point, today was another incredible low point for Lyric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

europa11 wrote: »
    Tuned in and out this morning (as I usually do tbh as Morning Ireland can be equally depressing and annoying to go through an entire shift), and yes, you're right, with one exception when there was an actual piece of music playing it was non-stop plugging of Neven and some other eateries as well. Mr. Whelan et fils will have some bit of exercising to do after Christmas one thinks but at least the wallet won't have any slimming problems.

Shameless carry-on. Just goes to show the contempt Whelan has for his listeners and lack of any semblance of management in Lyric.

It would indeed be interesting to compare todays published playlist with that of a "normal" day - I use the word normal advisedly as El Prato's regular verbal garbage (daily missive from himself "Hugo", the godawful "and him to be"'s and flirtation with the traffic and weather gals is bad enough. But again, and back to your point, today was another incredible low point for Lyric.

Today was the lowest of the low.. a 3 hour advert,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement