Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

caviar indeed. So this is what my license fee gets spent on.

Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

"I PACKED home comforts, including Irish tea and coffee, but so far the local beverages and cuisine in Azerbaijan have been great"

Any word on Hugo? pocketfuls of Lyons Teabags and jar of Mugswell House aside, I find it hard to believe the old fox would have set off without bringing along his most endearing home comfort.

Surely he didn't have him put into kennels for the week :D

In any case, here's hoping that Saturdays' Grand Finale ends up in a draw and they have to stay out there for another week to cover the replay.....(if only).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Ah Alas and well may Éire weep! This slot on LyricFM breaks my heart for the reasons I'm mentioned far too often.

There are at least two positives coming out of that misery, however.

1) My Irish is much, much better through listening to Adhmhaidin every morning, and after Iris Aniar presented by the lovely Eibhlín Ní Chonghaile. When the music comes on on RnaG I turn over to Morning Ireland but never to this waffling, cultureless, vacuous clown on Lyric. (Tá mo chuid gaeilge níos fearr ná riamh trí eisteacht le Adhmhaidin gach maidin, agus i ndiaidh Irish Aniar, á cur i láthair ag Eibhlín Ní Chonghaile. Nuair a thagann an ceol ar súil athraíonn mé go Morning Ireland ach ní athraíonn mé chuig an amadán i gceist atá tugtha don ghlagaireacht!)

2) My need for new and fresh classical music has me turning on the radio more often at night and I have to say Blue of the Night has to be one of the finest programmes anywhere on Irish radio. Last week the presenter introduced me to somebody named Dustin O'Halloran, whom I had never heard of. What amazing music.

LyricFm can still give us all beautiful, enriching music. We just have to look that bit harder for it now.

Sing, Oh! hurrah! let wafflers quake,
    We'll listen till death for music's sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Looks like our Marty Holiday is over. Trish says the prat is back tomorrow.

Thanks for the lovely music and the professional presentation, Trish.

While off topic I have to agree with The Blue of The Night, it's currently my fav show on radio. Carl does an amazing job. Long may it last

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

Wexford seems to have dumbed down a bit this year. Marty is after launching the festival and the choice of operas are much more populist. Fair play to Mart if he has become more au-fait with the operatic. He is certainly flavour of the month amongst many of classical music aficionados now but i can't see it lasting.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/the-daily-fix-tuesday-59-475788-Jun2012/

Flicking while trying to avoid Euro 2012 garbage today, I paused on Lyric. Would it be Beethoven, Mozart or Schubert?

No, "Jake the Peg With the Extra Leg".

Take a bow, Marty. You singled handedly ruined a unique station.

Dirigent wrote: »
    Flicking while trying to avoid Euro 2012 garbage today, I paused on Lyric. Would it be Beethoven, Mozart or Schubert?

:o Heard it this morning with disbelief. I imagined for a moment the reaction of a busload of tourists being shuttled about somewhere while Ireland's "Classical radio station" was blaring this oddity.

Now that he's opened the Rolf Harris can of worms there will be no depths to which MITM can't sink. For his next trick perhaps he'll inflict the era to which he belongs, glam-rock, on the ever unsuspecting Lyric audience.

Whelan should be sent back permanently to broadcasting hell (a.k.a. 2FM), and not just for his curious musical taste either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Dirigent wrote: »

Marty Whelan is the reason Lyric is no longer on my presets

my friend wrote: »
    Marty Whelan is the reason Lyric is no longer on my presets

I wouldn't allow Marty make me miss some great radio.

Lyric still offers some excellence shows, Marty's just isn't one of them. :mad:

• Advertisement

000606000c8r.jpg

Does anyone else find it strange that Marty has become both the face and voice of the Wexford opera festival? I wouldn't have thought it an obvious fit but Marty is certainly doing something right on Lyric if he has managed to endear himself to the hardcore of Irish opera. If he was voicing a commercial for a performance of La Boheme I would understand it but this almost seems inexplicable. In fairness to Marty he does play a lot of opera on his show but it is mainly popular Puccini, Verdi, some well known French opera arias and Andrea, Katherine and Bryn. Wexford attracts patrons from around the world, people who want to see rarely performed operas.

As for Lyric there were hints that the schedule on Lyric could be set for a massive overhaul due to it's poor showing in the JNLRs. Like many others here I have all but given up on Lyric but Marty is winning over huge swathes of the Irish classical music public but I wonder is he merely pulling the wool over the eyes of many people. His influence in Lyric fm is growing so it will be interesting to see what direction the station will take.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0530/rte-outlines-plans-for-savings-and-cuts.html

Lyric FM and Raidio na Gaeltachta will be "repositioned" as will the RTÉ Guide

I have to say since the schools were off the has been some very odd behaviour between Marty and Rebecca from AA roadwatch.

Marty "You'll have to stretch this out now Rebecca"

Rebecca "Marty, You know I stretch it out well"

Marty "ooo you did a great job of stretching that out now"

"Rebecca "It's what I do best Marty"

silence...

Marty: "it got very quiet there"

Rebecca "it did"

What on earth??? :pac::pac:

puffishoes wrote: »
    I have to say since the schools were off the has been some very odd behaviour between Marty and Rebecca from AA roadwatch.

Marty "You'll have to stretch this out now Rebecca"

Rebecca "Marty, You know I stretch it out well"

Marty "ooo you did a great job of stretching that out now"

"Rebecca "It's what I do best Marty"

silence...

Marty: "it got very quiet there"

Rebecca "it did"

What on earth??? :pac::pac:

Didn't hear that but it sounds like sexual innuendo, which wouldn't be very appropriate at that time of the morning. Why can't the reporter simply give the traffic situation. I'm not blaming the AA person, Marty is the person who sets the agenda for the show, he really should put a stop to that nonsense. If Marty has started playing more pieces from baroque and Slavic opera and promoting contemporary Irish composers then i will start listening again. It's great if he is promoting rarely heard pieces and trying to open people up to new music.

Should have mentioned this yesterday. For anyone seeking a week of some decent music in the mornings without creepy conversation, uncalled for innuendo and inexplicable smugness the excellent Trish Taylor is filling in for El Prato - sadly just for a week - but I live in hope that someone might snap him up while he's away.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

europa11 wrote: »
    Should have mentioned this yesterday. For anyone seeking a week of some decent music in the mornings without creepy conversation, uncalled for innuendo and inexplicable smugness the excellent Trish Taylor is filling in for El Prato - sadly just for a week - but I live in hope that someone might snap him up while he's away.

I had a hunch that Marty was due a holiday and started listening yesterday. All the usual improvements apply. Gone is the chatter, letters from Hugo etc etc. The great usa song book has been put away. The result is actually listenable classical radio. Go on Marty, treat youself. Take a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Marty is winning over huge swathes of the Irish classical music public

Not sure about that.

Maybe the people who go to Wexford want to keep it to themselves and in a cunning plan have picked the least credible person on the Island to advertise it. "I thought I might go but if that gobs*ite is there I wont bother". Could work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Listening to the blue of the night and Eamon Lenihan said Carl is doing the 7-10 slot this week. Does this mean what I think it means? :D

Genealogy Forum Mod

doomed wrote: »
    Not sure about that.

Maybe the people who go to Wexford want to keep it to themselves and in a cunning plan have picked the least credible person on the Island to advertise it. "I thought I might go but if that gobs*ite is there I wont bother". Could work.

Your reasoning does not ring true when one hears Marty voicing an advert for a production of Wagner's Ring. He is obviously respected in opera circles here, goodness knows why. He did all the Met Live HD radio ad voiceovers, now Wagner's Ring and is both the face and voice of the Wexford Opera festival therefore he must be highly regarded amongst the people promoting opera in this country. Personally i find it bizarre but maybe he will attract more people into the theatre.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Listening to the blue of the night and Eamon Lenihan said Carl is doing the 7-10 slot this week. Does this mean what I think it means? :D

Didn't listen to Marty yesterday, but Carl was sitting in the hot seat this morning and it was a blissful morning :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've been listening every morning since I last posted. Carl is so good at the morning slot. He used to do that program, of course, years ago.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Your reasoning does not ring true when one hears Marty voicing an advert for a production of Wagner's Ring. He is obviously respected in opera circles here, goodness knows why. He did all the Met Live HD radio ad voiceovers, now Wagner's Ring and is both the face and voice of the Wexford Opera festival therefore he must be highly regarded amongst the people promoting opera in this country. Personally i find it bizarre but maybe he will attract more people into the theatre.

Did he pronounce it the Louis Walsh way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I actually enjoy listening to Marty. He's a damn sight better than the rest at that time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

DB21 wrote: »
    I actually enjoy listening to Marty. He's a damn sight better than the rest at that time anyway.

OMG have you not read any of this thread? You're not allowed to enjoy him, he wasn't born with a violin in his hand, therefore knows nothing about music - simple really.

ps I used to think the same as you DB21 but luckily for me the snobs that contribute to this thread have taught me otherwise.

pps Marty is also to blame for all the bad weather we've had this summer. And I heard his best friend is Seanie Fitzpatrick, so there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

OMG have you not read any of this thread? You're not allowed to enjoy him, he wasn't born with a violin in his hand, therefore knows nothing about music - simple really.

ps I used to think the same as you DB21 but luckily for me the snobs that contribute to this thread have taught me otherwise.

pps Marty is also to blame for all the bad weather we've had this summer. And I heard his best friend is Seanie Fitzpatrick, so there.

Couldn't have put it better myself!! Boring doesn't begin to describe this week's stand-in. You want to be woken up in the morning with a bit of life not having to listen to some soporific sounding drone...

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I've been listening every morning since I last posted. Carl is so good at the morning slot. He used to do that program, of course, years ago.

I'm a big fan of his on the blue, but what I found out since he's been doing the morning show is he's really funny which is a side you don't really see of him on the blue.

sharp as a tac and no smutty comments. marty could learn a thing or two from this gentleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

puffishoes wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of his on the blue, but what I found out since he's been doing the morning show is he's really funny which is a side you don't really see of him on the blue.

sharp as a tac and no smutty comments. marty could learn a thing or two from this gentleman.

Spot on, he is humble enough to allow the music be the star of the show, and take a back seat. I listened to the show every morning this week, it was blissful, not to have to be turning the volume WAY down, every time Marty decided to gibber semi-coherently for five minutes..... Is Marty just gone for a week or has he been mauled by an angry grizzly bear who has heard his breakfast show?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Maybe if missed it, but does Marty not feature on the new ads that RTE are running on television for Lyric FM?

Mart had an in-depth interview with Claudia Boyle this morning. Mart doesn't believe in research "Are you singing in Wexford this year?"

Mart: "You see there are people like Riccardo Muti, Zubin Mehta(when he was um). There are various people who are just so fantastic onstage and also command the room -maestro. Hey, there's a reason why."

+ other bs with MW pretending to be a patron of Wexford Opera.

Shameful stuff from Lyric.

http://podcast.rasset.ie/podcasts/2012/pc/pod-v-16071212m17smartywhelanclaudiaboyle-pid0-737184_audio.mp3

Mart had an in-depth interview with Claudia Boyle this morning. Mart doesn't believe in research "Are you singing in Wexford this year?"

Cringe making stuff, all right. I was half expecting him to reply to CB regarding Friday's concert in the NCH, "And where's that?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

He would attract me to the theatre, if the intermission entertainment was Marty being chased around the stage by a Doberman with an attitude problem. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement