Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Triathlon in 2011 thread

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Oryx wrote: »
    Its the flow on the upstream that concerns me! My cousins son will be out in the kayaks marshalling the swim. So Ive told him to watch for me if I start flapping about. :D

I did the 1,500m swim on Sunday, no real current to be worried about Oryx
    Upstream was grand, and downstream could only feel a slight push right as I turned - no bother to you
    Will be my first Oly also, will keep an eye out for you
    Have you got your new kit yet?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yes, got the kit in April, tried it out in Laois, its good stuff. But god, the company have been a bleedin nightmare to contact since. Dont seem to want any more business!

Youll spot me on the day in gaudy WexTri purple and gold. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Lads tis safe to say I'm bricking it. Not doing the full tri but only the swim 8 days from now. I only learned to swim in recent years and this seems a daunting task altogether. Herself presented me with a present of an entry level orca suit on monday for my efforts :) looking at the times people did the swim in last year I is fuppered :(

What happens on the day? How do we know when to go and stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

Lads tis safe to say I'm bricking it. Not doing the full tri but only the swim 8 days from now. I only learned to swim in recent years and this seems a daunting task altogether. Herself presented me with a present of an entry level orca suit on monday for my efforts smile.gif looking at the times people did the swim in last year I is fuppered frown.gif

Dont worry about it - last year I swam into the back of someone who was walking the OD swim whilst holding onto the rope which runs down the middle of the river:D
    What happens on the day? How do we know when to go and stuff?

Park on the green area opposite the GAA club where you registered; bring your kit down to transition; get ready in transition and wait until they start calling you to the swim start. In the last couple of years in Athy IIRC there was a marching band / flag waving parade in front of you as you walked to the swim start so you cant miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

griffin100 wrote: »
    Park on the green area opposite the GAA club where you registered; bring your kit down to transition; get ready in transition and wait until they start calling you to the swim start. In the last couple of years in Athy IIRC there was a marching band / flag waving parade in front of you as you walked to the swim start so you cant miss it.

Not doing it in Athy. Mines in Kerry. In any case thanks for the advice. :)

I must say the training is kind addictive for it - even just for the swim. Only started last month (coinciding with when i usually venture into the sea - never swim in pools) but am swimming 6 nights a week. The quality of the swim, well now, thats another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

So how did all get on with Athy............thanks for those who can up and said hi !

I've been talked into doing an olympic on Aug 13th so lots of work ahead !!

So how did all get on with Athy............thanks for those who can up and said hi !

I've been talked into doing an olympic on Aug 13th so lots of work ahead !!
    Got your voice back yet? :)

The Oly was grand. I wasnt fast (3.02) but the only part that felt harder than a sprint was the run, and I think it was the grass and the heat rather than the extra 5k that did it. Somehow your mind gets around the extra distance and you just get on with it.

Which event are you doing in Aug?

I'm doing Caroline Karney on Aug 13th. Its a lake swim so i think with the wet suit i'll be fine.........i've been told i'll float in it:D oh and with my slow swim i'd be very happy with 3:02

My voice was a little rough on sunday morning but got a packet of soothers and once it was warmed up i was grand.

Got out on the bike yesterday and did 40Km, it went well and stated to use the aero bars which were great really.

Got out on the bike yesterday and did 40Km, it went well and stated to use the aero bars which were great really.
    Boo. Hiss. :) I cant even use drops. :o Id do a skills course but Id be surrounded by ten year olds.

I don't mind them at all, others wear the balance bands as well............i learned to ride a bike when i was 6:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

ENjoyed sat evening and was enjoyable to get my first one under my belt.

Was happy with my time of 1 hr 4 mins too. My legs cramped up so bad when i got off the bike and began running so run time wasnt great but happy overall.

Well organised event.

Think i may try the Sprint in Skerries at the end of the month.

Anyone done a sea swim in a tri here??

Will you be stepping up to sprint or olympic in Athy next year ?

I plan on doing 3 or so sprints this year so would love to go up to olympic next year but may skip it as was thinking of going for the Cork Marathon as my first marathon.

jester1980 wrote: »
    I plan on doing 3 or so sprints this year so would love to go up to olympic next year but may skip it as was thinking of going for the Cork Marathon as my first marathon.

By Nov 1 i hope to have an Olympic and marathon..........DONE........well thats the plan:o

fair play, i decided to leave my marathon until next year and try and improve the running as its only average at the moment, will do the half marathon in sept and have a few small races until then.

Its great all this fitness malarchy :D

Half for me on June 26th:eek: I did one last yr very very slowly so need to improve. I did 9 miles in 81 min last week so getting fitter and a sub 2 hr half is an aim for this year.

Actually goals are..........

5M - sub 43
    10 M - sub 1:30
    half - sub 2:00
    Marathon - sub 4:20

In tri land i just want to finish the olympic as my swim is so weak i just to get over the line.

Oh and with cycling i'd love to do 100km ( which would be home to Longford from Laois )

elvis, I meant to say (and I hope its appropriate to) but I thought you looked eh, smaller, in Athy than the last time I met you. :)

Good work on the running, and see ya at the Strawberry.

Oryx wrote: »
    elvis, I meant to say (and I hope its appropriate to) but I thought you looked eh, smaller, in Athy than the last time I met you. :)

Good work on the running, and see ya at the Strawberry.

Thanks,

I'm down 10 pounds ans 2 belly inches since April.

I want to get down another stone for the olympic in Aug.

Oh and i don't expect an amazing time in Wexford, its just about time on the feet and building towards the half in Dublin in Sept ( i'm doing another half in Portlaoise in Aug as well )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KevB11

I'm doing my first triathlon in a few weeks weeks. 750m swim, 20k cycle, 5k run. I'm male, mid-twenties, alright fitness.

I've been swimming regularly in the pool the last few years - usually 3-4 times a week, 750m at a time. I did a few open water swims over the past month or so, most recent was 1500m which I did in around 23 minutes. I have never trained in running or cycling, but did a 5k run and a 10k run earlier this year (did the 5k in around 23 minutes, 10k in around 55 minutes, can't remember exactly.) I haven't cycled much since I was a kid, but I've just bought myself a new bike for the triathlon. Have done a couple of 15k-20k cycles for practice, no idea of time, wasn't really pushing myself anyways. Appreciate any training tips!

I don't know much at all about these events, and I'm just wondering what sort of gear I'm going to need? I have my wetsuit, goggles and swim hat - is that all I need for the swim part? Then, if I'm cycling or running, I usually just wear my runners, loose shorts, and a tshirt (hoodie if it's raining.) I'm guessing this'll look out of place in a professional race? :o So what do I actually need for the cycling and running? I'd rather not go buying loads of expensive stuff, but what are the essentials?

Thanks

I've done one Traithlon and one Aquathon, they only thing i have that you don't is a tri suit but in fairness 60 % had these and 40 % didnt so you wont be out of place at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

hi guys,

signed up for my first try at a tri lol...(u probably heard that 1 b4:))

i have my training done just swimming and swimming now in the lead up..

have my 1 day license, race fee paid and ready to go in the LK247 sprint triathlon!!

Relistically how long shud i expect it to take 90-100mins?? i am a novice in the swim cycle shud be ok and run well normally 21-22 5k man but after the swim cycle god knows....

any tips or hints for me?? everything wud be appreciated, i know nothing of wat to expect...

Advertisement