Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Triathlon in 2011 thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

So your at my level of swimming then:D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You guys are better than I was this time last year, I was nowhere near doing 750 non stop. My first swim in an event was a disaster :)

Oryx wrote: »
    You guys are better than I was this time last year, I was nowhere near doing 750 non stop. My first swim in an event was a disaster :)

I did 400M today, a lot of stops but i want to buld up to 750M and then i'll work on getting the time down !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

k mac wrote: »
    Swimming is proving a struggle also,had really improved doing about 1200 m a session and managing to do 750m without stopping for a rest but my technique was so bad i went for a advanced swim lesson. Since that i can barely do a lenght as i had to change my breathing and it is like learning to swim again!

Stick with it; if you already managed to cover 750m you'll be fine on the day to finish, and the improved technique will stand to you longer term. When you get the breathing down swimming gets a lot easier (or rather, you go faster ... im not sure it actually becomes easy). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Was thinking of entering the Skerries Tri (oly) at the end of June.

However, I can only swim about 100 metres in one go at the moment. With just four months of swim training, is it too ambitious?

Skerries suits me as its on a Sunday and thus doesn't require a day off from work. So although there are races later in the year, Skerries suit me best in between other events.

• Advertisement

Nope, if you work at it youll manage the swim. Swim fitness increases fast, so as long as youre not chasing a particular swim time, go for it. Youll need to swim a few times a week and push yourself to do longer sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭griffin100

I did 400M today, a lot of stops but i want to buld up to 750M and then i'll work on getting the time down !

However, I can only swim about 100 metres in one go at the moment. With just four months of swim training, is it too ambitious?

If you can do 100m without a break then you'll be fine for a 750m swim, its all about getting over the mental block that comes with swimming long distances. Don't think about the distance - see if you can swim for 5 minutes without a break; then 10; etc. For me starting off the biggest hurdle in swimming was getting over this mental block. Make sure you swim at least 2 and preferably 3 times a week even if you only get a short session in. If you are going to do an OW swim try and get at least one dip in with your wetsuit on, dont leave it to the day of the race as if you are not a confident swimmer you can get easily spooked and panicked.

Hopefully I'll see you in Port Laois Elvis, I'm in now having pulled out of the Conn Marathon:)

Shameless plug time for my club race - www.racing795.com - for beginners you could do worse than look at Tri795 - 500m swim in an outdoor pool so a great starter race for the nervous swimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

griffin100 wrote: »
    Shameless plug time for my club race - www.racing795.com - for beginners you could do worse than look at Tri795 - 500m swim in an outdoor pool so a great starter race for the nervous swimmer.

I'll be doing this again - very well organised last year (fair play). I'd nightmares about the poxy hill straight out of transition :p My first real experience of jelly legs and it had to happen mid way up that mountain!!

@ Elvis - how do you find the spinning. Is it any good for the cycle legs?

Ya its helping a lot, with the dark evenings its the only way to get a proper work out for cycling. Ok i could buy a turbo trainer but i'm pushed hard in the spinning class and its a tri class so lots of work in the tri position, standing and climbing.

The 1st few weeks i was very sore but i'm fine now. From next week on i'll be doing a run directly after it so my legs know what to expect.

Griffin what date is that on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I've signed up for my first tri in May - Spiddal Sprint.
    Gonna be tough work getting up to fitness, running is fine, cycling will be ok cos its only 20km, its the swimming that'll be my undoing.
    Also have a 2 week holiday at start of April, so gonna have to try and include some runs & swims while I'm off.

First up is a Duathlon in 12 days time out in Carraroe, should be ok, but I'll need to get a brick session in this weekend just so I know how to cope.

Have joined a gym and done some swimming & spinning, so I just need to get a workable timetable of exercise going, thats the hardest bit.

• Advertisement

1st duathlon on Sunday, its a club one and will help with trans etc.

My swimming is coming along, i'mm comfortable in the water now and its all about fitness. I've had another chest infection which has slowed me down a bit.

Duathlon on Sunday is

1.8km run
    15 km cycle
    1.8km run

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Was thinking of entering the Skerries Tri (oly) at the end of June.

Skerries suits me as its on a Sunday and thus doesn't require a day off from work. So although there are races later in the year, Skerries suit me best in between other events.

I was only able to do about 25 meters with 2 or 3 months before my first tri. Keep at it, no bother to u.I am nearly a year into swimming now and still new. You need to be doing technique work all the time, like 90% of the time. I did the whole busting my ass trying to go fast for as many lengths, and not getting any better, I was just reinforcing bad habits.

Swimming is tough you need coaching. join a tri club there is soo much to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xertpo

I'm in the process of trying to buy a bike for my first triathlon. As it will be on the beach, dunes and have a little water thrown in, I'm not 100% sure what type of bike I should be looking for. I was thinking of 29er with the aero bar set up and some beach tyres for race day? Any thoughts?

xertpo wrote: »
    I'm in the process of trying to buy a bike for my first triathlon. As it will be on the beach, dunes and have a little water thrown in, I'm not 100% sure what type of bike I should be looking for. I was thinking of 29er with the aero bar set up and some beach tyres for race day? Any thoughts?

I'd ask those questions on the cycling forum as they might have better specific info your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Delighted i found this thread, some great advise and tips there..

Have decided to do a triathlon myself this year, decided to go with the try-a-tri in Athy in june. Good way to start i suppose. Been doing a bit of excercise since xmas but started my training this week. So far plan is below, it's been years since i cycled a bike, ran anywhere but the gym or swam properly (about 12 years the lot) so will enjoy trying to get in shape for this. Just got a new bike too, :D

Mon - GYM 10KM Bike, 5 K run, 500 m swim
    Tues - Cycle to Work 35 k there an back - Squash 45 mins
    Wed - Run outdoors 5 k, Joining a swim class which is an hour so i say 750 m swimming(first one tomorrow)
    Thurs - Squash 45 mins
    Fri - Cycle to Work 35 k there an back
    Sat - Off (This is my day for golf)
    Sun - 5 k run and 750 m Swim

Whats everyone think of this?

Thats a good work out but don't burn yourself out.

The only advice i can give being a few weeks into training is to cycle and then run..............i did my 1st duathlon on Sunday and there was a bit of lead leg after i got off the bike.

Thats a good short tri and great for beginners, i'll be working there all weekend.

Yeah ill be careful of that, if i'm feeling tired ill take one or two things off a week or even give myself an extra rest, i feel alot fitter since xmas which im delighted about, still need to shed about a stone but hopefully that will start to come off with this training.

jester, Id just be careful if youre jumping straight into that level from much less exercise, it would be hard to maintain. Especially with so many double sessions. You have no days off there (golfing on your day off). Id add at least another rest day if you are novice.

If youre already exercising to a high level feel free to ignore me. :)

The aul cycle to work wouldnt be a sprint, it would be more a leisurely pace, i suppose if it gets too much ill take Thursday as a day off as well..

I just know from bitter experience what it feels like to burn out. :) Ill be in Athy as well, for my first Oly. Jaysis we'll all have to organise a party. ;)

• Advertisement

How long are you doing triathlons??

Quick question, i just got a hybrid bike, but i see in alot of pictures people with diff handlebars, would you advise an add on to the bike?

jester1980 wrote: »
    How long are you doing triathlons??
    Not long. :D This time last year I hadnt done any and could barely swim or ride a bike. Mainly did adventure races last year to improve the bike, and just sprint tris.
    Quick question, i just got a hybrid bike, but i see in alot of pictures people with diff handlebars, would you advise an add on to the bike?
    See how you go with the hybrid first time around. Its ok for a first one, but youll soon move up to some fancy racing/tri bike once you get the bug. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

jester1980 wrote: »
    Delighted i found this thread, some great advise and tips there..

Have decided to do a triathlon myself this year, decided to go with the try-a-tri in Athy in june. Good way to start i suppose. Been doing a bit of excercise since xmas but started my training this week. So far plan is below, it's been years since i cycled a bike, ran anywhere but the gym or swam properly (about 12 years the lot) so will enjoy trying to get in shape for this. Just got a new bike too, :D

Mon - GYM 10KM Bike, 5 K run, 500 m swim
    Tues - Cycle to Work 35 k there an back - Squash 45 mins
    Wed - Run outdoors 5 k, Joining a swim class which is an hour so i say 750 m swimming(first one tomorrow)
    Thurs - Squash 45 mins
    Fri - Cycle to Work 35 k there an back
    Sat - Off (This is my day for golf)
    Sun - 5 k run and 750 m Swim

Whats everyone think of this?

Maybe a bit much if you are not too fit. If you feel tired then you will know.

Take easy days if you are tired. As another poster said try running straight off

the bike as well, this will help you in a tri as that is what you will be doing.

Also your swimming should be sets and alot of technique, not just aimless

swimming, use this site

http://www.swimplan.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

Hi guys,

I was hoping to get your advice on doing the TriAthy. I'm currently running/swimming alternate days and cycling to the pool and a few other things. Rest day once a week. The thing is (even though it's improving) my fitness really isn't up to scratch. I'm running about 3.5km, swimming about 25 lengths in a 45 minute session and I only ever cycle about 5km (though that's just because of journey length, not fitness).

I'm just wondering is it totally unrealistic to aim for the TriAthy at this stage? I got a bit disheartened at my last swim (where a coach basically told me that I'm kidding myself and I wouldn't be ready in time). I'd like to stick with this sort of training one way or another, so any other advice would be really welcome.

lamai wrote: »

Thats fantastic, done myself out a plan and all, thanks for that.

simply_dee wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I was hoping to get your advice on doing the TriAthy. I'm currently running/swimming alternate days and cycling to the pool and a few other things. Rest day once a week. The thing is (even though it's improving) my fitness really isn't up to scratch. I'm running about 3.5km, swimming about 25 lengths in a 45 minute session and I only ever cycle about 5km (though that's just because of journey length, not fitness).

I'm just wondering is it totally unrealistic to aim for the TriAthy at this stage? I got a bit disheartened at my last swim (where a coach basically told me that I'm kidding myself and I wouldn't be ready in time). I'd like to stick with this sort of training one way or another, so any other advice would be really welcome.

Which of the triathlons are you doing on the weekend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xertpo

I'd ask those questions on the cycling forum as they might have better specific info your looking for.

Ok thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

Which of the triathlons are you doing on the weekend ?

Whoops, sorry, I should've said I'm aiming for the tri-for-beginners. 400m swim, etc.

Went out with some friends and did a 15km cycle, 1km run this morning and that went ok. First time I'd tried running after the biking. That might take a bit of getting used to!

simply_dee wrote: »
    Whoops, sorry, I should've said I'm aiming for the tri-for-beginners. 400m swim, etc.

Went out with some friends and did a 15km cycle, 1km run this morning and that went ok. First time I'd tried running after the biking. That might take a bit of getting used to!

Indeed it will.

There is a swimming event the weekend before tri athy in the Barrow at the same venue. It would be good to swim the same distance in the same river before you have to do the full event.

I am planning to cycle/run twice a week between now and this date next month:eek:

• Advertisement

Well went to swim training with that club last night and all i can say is oh my good god, i was in bits. Think we did 1500 metres in total and it was broke up in long distance, sprints, times etc. Need to get into my own pool now and put this new programme to practise that i got off the web site above..

Advertisement