Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Triathlon in 2011 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭groggles11

Thinking about entering my first one next season too. Gonna chance a sprint or even a standard. Beginning my training this week but not really sure what sort of programme to try. I'm a strong enough swimmer, and average runner and little experience cycling except travelling to and from work. Want to try the swim in the sea or river format so whats a good triathalon to head down to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Well where are you based, i always think the least amount of traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭groggles11

Dublin area! Any sort of weight programmes I should try out to improve my performance? Think I will be able to train to the requirements but would like to complement the training with weights to improve stamina and speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Fingal is a decent pool(NAC) based one in may. It was my first tri last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mapvil

Hi all. Another first timer planning to complete triathlon next year. Hope to do sprint around April/May (maybe pool-based) and then olympic later in the summer. Open water swim will definitely be the biggest challenge. Based in Galway so would welcome any recommended events within striking distance to match above. Also how early do you need to sign up for these events?

• Advertisement

So it all starts tonight with a spinning class..........the rest there will be a LOT fitter than me so it should be fun, if i don't make it back it was nice posting here:o

groggles11 wrote: »
    Dublin area! Any sort of weight programmes I should try out to improve my performance? Think I will be able to train to the requirements but would like to complement the training with weights to improve stamina and speed!

I's join a tri club, the members are a wealth of knowledge and a great social aspect to it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I'm working in the Dublin area, planning to do my first Tri next year too. I'm aiming for the Slane Tri which should be held sometime in May.

Anyone want to go for a run in Malahide castle one afternoon next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Really hoping to do triathy next year my fitness level is very poor so got a serious hill to climb. Some of my friends are interested aswell so hopefully they will as it would be good to have some training partners

i did my 1st spinning class last night................oh holy $hit:eek:

So much work to do in the coming months, i plan to do base level fitness until after crimbo and build from there !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

Tri Laois was my first Tri. Tri Athy became my second a few weeks later. Definately recommended. Sun always shines on Tri Laois.

It is a standard Sprint distance. Plenty of time to train for it still. Enjoy and good luck.

If you can bring yourself to start with an outdoor swim... I couldn't.... Then Tri Athy has a shorter than sprint distance now. Great way to get your feet wet!!

Sprint Distance

30 lengths of 25 mtr pool (as in Portlaoise)
    20km cycle
    5km run

Well done Elvis. There won't be a bother on you!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

All three sprints I did last year had different distance swims. Carrick was 750m o/w, Bunclody was 500m pool, and Dublin was 600m o/w. And for me the pool was hardest. :)

TriLaois is what i'm aiming for at the moment, but with a baby due roughly the same time that might change to the one in Limerick.

Congrats on the impending new arrival Elvis. No wonder you are in training!!!

As for the Sprint distances quoted above... Those are the standard Sprint distances. Organisers are at liberty to vary from these a little which can make for different length races. Dun More East with the 7km (uphill) run is the biggest departure I've seen from the standard. But what a great race. I guess it's important to check out what you are letting yourself in for before signing up for a race.

Tri Laois I believe is the standard distance. The bike section may be 19 rather than 20km. The Swim and Run are spot on.

Tri Laois was my first Tri. Tri Athy became my second a few weeks later. Definately recommended. Sun always shines on Tri Laois.

It is a standard Sprint distance. Plenty of time to train for it still. Enjoy and good luck.

If you can bring yourself to start with an outdoor swim... I couldn't.... Then Tri Athy has a shorter than sprint distance now. Great way to get your feet wet!!

Sprint Distance

30 lengths of 25 mtr pool (as in Portlaoise)
    20km cycle
    5km run

I know i was working at the last 2 and got sun burned:cool:

Date for TriLaois should be known next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

i did my 1st spinning class last night................oh holy $hit:eek:

So much work to do in the coming months, i plan to do base level fitness until after crimbo and build from there !

How you finding the spinning classes? Was thinking of signing up to a class over the winter.

Eh beyond hell:D

I found it very hard but i'm starting from a level of little fitness and little cycyling.

I got through it but had jelly legs at the end, but the 1st week is the hardest and i know by Jan i'll be looking on Tuesday nights in the different way.

I'm thinking of getting a turbo trainer so i can get some extra work in as i can only get out on the bike on the weekend days or if i have a day off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

I've heard that but i'm not the best in the water and the idea of trying my 1st in open water doesn't feel too good. I want to do my 1st in a pool to work on my nerves on water and get some convidence ( but i do plan to do Athy.......i was the MC at it last year )

I started tri's last year. Could barely swim 1 length front crawl in march, but did my first tri in may in a swimming pool, the swim was horrible, I went out too hard on the swim, I have done a few open water swims since and I feel they are far better for people who are not so good at swimming as you can stay on the sides and out of the way. I won't do another pool tri again.

Same here Lamai, Went out too hard on my first tri swim and felt wrecked.

Partly because I was still not quite fit enough for it, and partly because of the tension of the first race.

I still prefer the pool swim though to open water even though I am very comfortable in the OW too.

I would be worried that if my first race swim had been in OW that I would still have gone out too hard and maybe panicked too given the depths etc... At least in the pool if you're any way nervous, you have the comfort of knowing you ought not drown!!! ;)

There's my two cents worth! And let's face it... not worth a whole lot these days!!

• Advertisement

Well 2011 is here and i'm starting my training tomorrow.

I'm aiming to do my 1st duathlon on Feb 12th in Naas. Its 3.5km run, 20 km bike and 3.5km run.

Swimming starts proper on Thursday and i missed out on 3 weeks of spinning before christmas with the weather.

I'm sitting here and i have my races all done out until the end of June.

2 duathlon
    2 sprint tri
    1 half marathon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

lamai wrote: »
    I started tri's last year. Could barely swim 1 length front crawl in march, but did my first tri in may in a swimming pool, the swim was horrible, I went out too hard on the swim, I have done a few open water swims since and I feel they are far better for people who are not so good at swimming as you can stay on the sides and out of the way. I won't do another pool tri again.

how does a swimming pool triathlon work? does everyone hop in together or what?

Normally in waves of about 20 people at a time.......most triathlons run this way. It means there isn't a crush of people at the same time and chipped timing means it doesn't matter when you go in, you time is just put on the board as you finish.

Just wondering what tri people are aiming for this yr, i have 4 picked out so far going from April to Aug. 2 duathlons and 3 half marathons in there as well.

Normally in waves of about 20 people at a time.......most triathlons run this way. It means there isn't a crush of people at the same time and chipped timing means it doesn't matter when you go in, you time is just put on the board as you finish.

Just wondering what tri people are aiming for this yr, i have 4 picked out so far going from April to Aug. 2 duathlons and 3 half marathons in there as well.

thanks

im hoping to do one april or may. not sure which one though.
    i was looken at getten one of those tri suits for it

Yeah i'll get a clb suit for the open water ones ( under my wet suit for cycle and run )

But it will be cycling shorts for the swim and throw a tech t shirt for the pool ones.

Spinning tomorrow:(:D

Yeah i'll get a clb suit for the open water ones ( under my wet suit for cycle and run )

But it will be cycling shorts for the swim and throw a tech t shirt for the pool ones.

Spinning tomorrow:(:D

do you train much during the week?

Well only starting training proper this week, i have a lot of weight to get done and base fitness to get up.

Plan for Jan is

Mon 5km run
    Tues spinning
    Wen 5km run
    Thurs swimming in pool
    fri 5 km run
    Sat cycle 20km, run 5km
    Sun swimming

I really really want to work hard in Jan to get that base fitness up and work from there.

Well only starting training proper this week, i have a lot of weight to get done and base fitness to get up.

Plan for Jan is

Mon 5km run
    Tues spinning
    Wen 5km run
    Thurs swimming in pool
    fri 5 km run
    Sat cycle 20km, run 5km
    Sun swimming

I really really want to work hard in Jan to get that base fitness up and work from there.

dont you have any rest days?

Not in Jan, i will from feb on. Think of it like pre season training in football:D

From feb friday will be my rest day and after swimming on a sunday i'll hit the sauna etc !

• Advertisement

Not in Jan, i will from feb on. Think of it like pre season training in football:D

From feb friday will be my rest day and after swimming on a sunday i'll hit the sauna etc !

i find on my days off that i shed more body fat. rest days are important too for building muscle.

Advertisement