Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Triathlon in 2011 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

jester1980 wrote: »
    Delighted i found this thread, some great advise and tips there..

Have decided to do a triathlon myself this year, decided to go with the try-a-tri in Athy in june. Good way to start i suppose. Been doing a bit of excercise since xmas but started my training this week. So far plan is below, it's been years since i cycled a bike, ran anywhere but the gym or swam properly (about 12 years the lot) so will enjoy trying to get in shape for this. Just got a new bike too, :D

Mon - GYM 10KM Bike, 5 K run, 500 m swim
    Tues - Cycle to Work 35 k there an back - Squash 45 mins
    Wed - Run outdoors 5 k, Joining a swim class which is an hour so i say 750 m swimming(first one tomorrow)
    Thurs - Squash 45 mins
    Fri - Cycle to Work 35 k there an back
    Sat - Off (This is my day for golf)
    Sun - 5 k run and 750 m Swim

Whats everyone think of this?

Are you playing squash competitively or just for fun? The cycle won't be a bother to you if you are doing 70km twice a week. If you are going to do that combo on a Monday at the Gym, why not do it in the order of a triathlon :) ? Doing running and swimming on the same day can be tricky particularly if you are running first, then swimming. I used to do a run before swim class before but found it counter productive as the class progressed (tired legs for kicking drills etc..). If you are doing 3 swims a week, I'd recommend 2 technique based sessions and one session of work. Perhaps build one of those runs up gradually to an hour.

Nice variety in that week though to keep you interested. Oh finally, Griffin100 is right and I'd second his recommendation to get a dip with your wetsuit on before your first OW Tri! Best of luck in Athy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Took squash up last year and played 3-4 times a week, club closed down so joined a new one and in jan and feb played 3 times a week so am going to cut it down to one from now on to concentrate on other things,

Yeah ill defo cut the run out on a wed before that swimming class as it was one of the toughest things i've done in years in fairness..

Feel free to join the SBR challenge too jester et al, we could do with some more Sprint Distance and Olympic Distance challengers on it :)

Squash is grea for teh cross training, I'd just be worried about the injury risk as its quite intense and fast!

Sorry if i missed it earlier but whats the SBR challenge??

jester1980 wrote: »
    Sorry if i missed it earlier but whats the SBR challenge??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056133126

I think we have one rookie doing a first Tri this summer on there already but its packed with the Galway 70.3 heads. It would be nice to have some more novices on there to mix it up :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Just seen that Swim Athy is open for enteries. I think it would be good for anyone planning their 1st tri in open water, there are 400 and 750 distance and i think its only 15 squid.

It's on May 29th www.swimathy.com

How is everyone going, my swimming and running and coming on well. I have only really 2.5 weeks of proper training left until tapering down.

I know my time won't be great but i will finish:)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

Thanks Elvis, that looks like a good idea!

Try-a-tri-Athy update:
    • Swimming 3 times a week - 1 form, 1 endurance, 1 form/endurance. 750metres for each session, in about 35mins. I'm only doing 100m straight, but it's progress and my technique's coming along. Have found a training programme that aims to get me to 750m straight by June, so I'll hopefully be well able to manage the 400m.
    • Cycling... not happening much right now but my brother just bought a beautiful bike that I plan on stealing a lot!
    • Running's coming along, slowly building up my speed and distance. Ran 4.1km today.
    Feeling a little bit better about the whole thing. I may need to take some breaks along the way, but I WILL finish. I've persuaded some friends to go for it too so that's pushing me along (I'm a bit of a competitive person):o

simply_dee wrote: »
    Thanks Elvis, that looks like a good idea!

Try-a-tri-Athy update:
    • Swimming 3 times a week - 1 form, 1 endurance, 1 form/endurance. 750metres for each session, in about 35mins. I'm only doing 100m straight, but it's progress and my technique's coming along. Have found a training programme that aims to get me to 750m straight by June, so I'll hopefully be well able to manage the 400m.
    • Cycling... not happening much right now but my brother just bought a beautiful bike that I plan on stealing a lot!
    • Running's coming along, slowly building up my speed and distance. Ran 4.1km today.
    Feeling a little bit better about the whole thing. I may need to take some breaks along the way, but I WILL finish. I've persuaded some friends to go for it too so that's pushing me along (I'm a bit of a competitive person):o

Thats good going, the swimming is my really really bad point. I'm building slowly but my race is approching quickly:o

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What kind of training and distance are you up to now elvis?

Oryx wrote: »
    What kind of training and distance are you up to now elvis?

Well i try to run 2 or 3 times a week with that at about 7km

Spinning once a week

1 cycle of about 15km with a 3 km runn afterwards

swimming 3 times at about 550 per session and thats taking about 26 min so not record breaking but at one point that was taking 32 min.

My training is in fits and starts to be honest with work, commuting and a baby on the way but my aim is to finishh my 1st one and build from there.

• Advertisement

All sounds good, tbh. I think the swim is the hardest nut to crack and if you have that your grand!

Indeed when i only started swimming in Jan. The change from cycle to run is hard if the legs haven't done it a few times before.

Well i have less than 48 hrs left until my 1st triathlon.

I'll do a light swim tonight and a 2 mile slow run tomorrow.

I'm ok with the cycle and run but the swim is still weak, i've done the 750m a few times and got my time down to 30 min. If i get a sub 30m on saturday i'll be happy.

My swim tonight is in the pool that will be used on sat so i'm going try and take it easy and just shake it out.

I hope everyone else are coming along.

Good luck mate, still a while for my first one ever in Athy, looking forward to it, not getting as much swimming done as id like either but hope to sort that from next week..

Cheers,

Remember Athy is down stream which really helps.

I have Nenagh in 3 weeks as well !

how many do you plan on doing this year, are they all sprints your doing yeah??

i have

Tri Laois ( sprint ) April
    Nenagh ( Sprint ) April
    Hook or by Crook ( Sprint ) June
    Carloine Kearney ( Olympic ) Aug
    Lough Key ( Sprint ) Sept

i want to do a few half marathons ( July, Aug and Sept )

I also have some club tri and dual as well during the summer.

I really want to get my get fit and get my weight down so i want to keep goals and events on every month so i don't slack off.

Fair play, hope to do simliar, about 4 sprints after the try a tri in Athy so hopefully all goes well, then maybe the half marathon in Sept.

24 hours to go elvis. Got the heebee geebees yet? :)

No but i got a tri suit:D its some sight to see an almost 17 stone man in a skin tight tri suit:o

I swam in the pool last night and on my 29th length i got a cramp in my calf, i didn't sleep very well worrying about it but it seems ok this morning.

My number belt arrived as well so gear wise i'm all set.

I know i can do it so its a matter of eating well and drinking well today. I'm going in to help set up this afternoon and will be in there at 6:30 in the morning to set up the PA and get the music pumping:cool:

• Advertisement

I am a.............triathlete:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noeleoreid

Hello everyone,

I am doing the COPE Galway tri on the 12th of june, but I am in desperate need of a training plan. I am new to the sport of tri but have completed one super sprint tri allready in sligo.

At the moment I do a 20km cycle twice a week, swim for an hour, twice maby three times a week, one of these swims is with the tuam masters and is pretty intense, the other two I just lane swim by myself.

For the swim, I am trying to work my way up to a distance of 1000 meters comfortably in the pool before I would be confident enough to attempt 750 meters in the sea but am currently only managing 500 meters.

I also run twice a week , 5km each run.

So really I am wondering if I am doing enough to have myself ready for a sprint sized tri in 5 weeks time, Although I am doing quiet a bit, I do not feel structured in my training and feel it would be more beneficial if I was following an actual plan set out for me, rather than the ould 'sure ill do what i can when the mood strikes me ' approach.

Also is it important to maby do some core workouts as well?? These are the questions I do not have the answers to, and feel I am approaching my training the wrong way perhaps??

So if anyone out there knos of any good 5 -6 week training plan geared towards completing a sprint tri, I would very much appreciate it.

Cheers
    Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Hi Noel,

As this is your first Tri at sprint distance, I'd say go to enjoy it whilst doing as much training as you enjoy in the next 6 weeks.

I only started tri's last year, did 4 sprints and in my first 3 I couldn't do the 750m swim all front crawl and had to switch to breaststroke.
    For me swimming was all about getting the pool time in and gradually breathing and fitness improved to swim further etc.
    The adrenalin on the day will help you go further than you think. It sounds like you're approaching it well and keep it up I say.

One main tip for it would be to practise a few brick sessions..
    These are going from the 20km bike straight into a run off the bike..
    The first couple your legs will probably feel like jelly especially the calves.
    This is normal until you adjust to the feeling.
    Run slow when legs feel like jelly, not that you'll have a choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Regarding core, it's not important in the early stages so I wouldn't worry too much, the time spent on bike or run would be more beneficial
    At this stage.

If you can I'd increase the distance slightly in 1 of your bike and runs as the next few weeks allow. More distance will help build fitness and endurance, and don't need to be at full pace so don't go too hard.

Don't overdo it and listen to your body, as a general rule distances shouldnt be increased by more than 10% each week.

Cheers Fazz,

Its mainly the fear of the swim to be honest, sure if my legs fall off during the cycle... so what, as I will be on dry land. On the other hand, if my arms give out during the swim, I sink, end off, so understandably a little nervous.

Also , do u see any benefit of training with some of these clubs that do be around the place? I am iffy myself as they all seemed to be very scattered in there training plans, and some are quiet pricy to join as well, and in addition to that , they require us to have TI membership as well. R we really gettin value for money. Ummmm...

Also do u have any idea if COPE Galway tri is A TI sanctioned 'one day licence; event or if its just pay and race??

Cheers
    Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hi lads,
    Just a quick (and probably stupid) question. Is it allowed to wear a half wetsuit? The type that finishes at the knees and elbows?

I'm supposed to be doing the swim part of a sprint triathlon next month, as part of a relay team and only have that type wetsuit. (must learn not to volunteer for things while p!ssed! :o) Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I saw two women wearing them during the triathlon that I did in Monaghan two weeks ago. I know you probably don't want to go out and buy a new wetsuit especially for this drunken bet, but you will be losing buoyancy on your legs where you need it most by wearing the shorty wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Thanks. Not too worry. We are just aiming to finish it and not be too competitive. Once its not against the rules or anything. :)

As ya can see from my earlier posts on this thread, Ill be doing the COPE Galway triathlon.

Can anyone recommend maby one or two other sprint sized tri's as Im trying to plan my race calendar for the summer but this is my first year of triathlon. Aiming to do 3 - 4 tri's. Would like to hear from people that done a few last year and taught they are nice.

I know there is endless amounts of them to choose from so thats why im asking here if any in particular are anybody's favorites ??

Training in the sea at the moment but not enjoying swallowing all the salt water :eek: so maby a few lake based tri's??

Let me know yere suggestions !!
    Cheers
    Noel

• Advertisement

I did the dublin tri last August, its a shortish course, but a really well run event.

Advertisement