Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldness treatments/cures/queries in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Phat Cat wrote: »
    Of course not, I doubt any wimmin would turned down the chance to marry into wealth, I only used Prince William as an example because of the amount of negative comments about his thinning thatch that I've been hearing of late.
    +1, I've heard and read lots of sneering comments about William's hair loss. Most of them came from women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Please! Wimmins are the most fickle and fussy creatures on the planet, plus after hearing all of the negative comments about Prince William's impending baldness over the weekend, I'd say that balding is a major deal when it comes to the opposite sex.

That kind of posting isn't welcome in this forum. Please read the charter before posting here again - first and only warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭phunkymonk

Hey,

Over the last 3 - 4 months my hair has been shedding quite quickly all over especially on top..when i shower the minute i start to rub my hair there is about 10 hairs on each hand,and this happens again with gel...on top of this whenever i scratch my hair 90% of the time there is a hair or two on my hand or under my nail..

I dunno has anyone ever had the same type of problems but its seriously worrying me,at this rate i will have very little left come end of year,

i dunno if its caused by stress,just natural or what..i was on a prescription drug for a different reason the last 3 months but on the leaflet there is no mention of hair loss being a side effect....

can anyone recommend a doctor around D2 area? or know of a doctor that will actually try to help get to the root of the problem?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Sounds like he's working for Pharmcom?

Mod edit: online pharmacies are illegal in ireland.

I dont want to lose anymore hair:(

Edit: pressed reply instead of quote

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Most of the potions that were on the market when I last looked (some time ago) claim to keep your hair. None that I saw claim to grow it back. Thus, if you're not happy with what you have left now, potions will do jack sh|t for you :(

Thus, I now shave my head with a Mach3.

168998_1781690057089_1084584233_32062146_4170401_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lads I here there is a cure on the way for baldness...

Few English papers were running it few weeks ago..

Lets pray :D

I still have me hair but in ten years I wont so come on mr anti baldness

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not quite true. You could have a full head of hair and very high testosterone. It just means your hair follicles are more sensitive to testosterone compared to men who don't go bald.

For men who are genetically predisposed to male pattern baldness. It is the effect of hormones on the hair follicle that produces male pattern baldness. Testosterone, a hormone that is present in high levels in males after puberty, is converted to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by an enzyme called 5-alpha reductase. DHT can have an adverse affect on the hair follicles. Acting on a hormone receptor on the hair follicle it can slow down hair production and produces weak, shorter hair, sometimes it stops hair growth from the follicle completely. This process can gradually deplete your stock of hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

So what do you guys think of Wayne Rooney's hair transplant? It's being reported that it cost him around £10k. Looks a good job actually, I would probably consider it if I started to go thin on top.

article-0-0C6E1EC500000578-771_634x696.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

So what do you guys think of Wayne Rooney's hair transplant? It's being reported that it cost him around £10k. Looks a good job actually, I would probably consider it if I started to go thin on top.

I read £37,500. So varying amounts being bandied about. Perhaps it was £10,000 per treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

That looks fake as all hell to be honest.

• Advertisement

I read £37,500. So varying amounts being bandied about. Perhaps it was £10,000 per treatment.

Possibly. I read conflicting stories on that judge from Dancing on Ice also, some reports said that he paid £12k and others said £35k.

IMO paying nearly £40k for a hair transplant seems way too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Whats 40k to Rooney though?(if that is in fact what he paid)It wouldnt surprise me one bit if he got it done free of charge tbh.That kind of publicity for the clinic would be like gold dust.

Whats 40k to Rooney though?(if that is in fact what he paid)It wouldnt surprise me one bit if he got it done free of charge tbh.That kind of publicity for the clinic would be like gold dust.

Yeah Rooney is on £200k per week so he's not exactly going to break the bank, but for a regular Joe Soap that's more then a years salary.

Your point about the publicity is spot on though, I'd say they probably paid him to get it done more then anything else. It would be a brilliant publicity stunt if that was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Ah it is nothing to him but just pointing out that it is more expensive than 10K. It is maybe less than half his weekly take home pay, so he may as well spend it.

He could probably afford to give us all hair transplants, the sod. Just sayin.

Luckily I dont need one.

:cool:

Luckily I dont need one.

Yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mervin J Minky

It seems like he is not the only one:

Wesley Sneijder in June 2010

img-130111-098.onlineBild.jpg

and in March 2011

2879_image382.jpg

Luckily I dont need one.

Neither do I, but it's threatening to be a reality in the next few years, hopefully not.

Not me anyway.Im 32 and have a ridiculously thick head of hair.My uncles on both sides are exactly the same and so is my Dad and he is 58.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

But Wayne was shaping up to lose most of his hair on top. How will that work now with his transplant. Will he not continue to lose more and more of the original hair on top and just be left with the transplanted hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

sollar wrote: »
    But Wayne was shaping up to lose most of his hair on top. How will that work now with his transplant. Will he not continue to lose more and more of the original hair on top and just be left with the transplanted hair?

Yes, I remember years ago during the dot.com era, a mate of mine was working as a barber in a very high-end Dublin salon.

One customer had come into a lot of money as a result of having his company floated and had spent upwards of £50K on hair transplants.

As more of his own hair began to fall out, all he was left with was the very patchy pattern of the original transplant.

Said customer gave up on the transplants and it would have turned out to be a very high-maintenance activity for the rest of his life and resorted to just shaving his head.

Regarding Rooney, as Daire O'Brien once said..."would ya look at the head on him". If I were him, I'd seriously consider a personality transplant first.

sollar wrote: »

Good point actually, but he can well afford to go back for further treatments.

I'd say these type of hair transplants only work on guys that are totally bald on top and have lots of hair around the sides. That way you don't have anymore hair too lose and the implanted hair from around the sides will grow like it always does, but just on top of the head.

Like this guy:

jason-hair-transplant.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

In my opinion we're going to hear more and more about transplants for male pattern baldness in coming years. Transplantation techniques have improved and the procedures will likely get cheaper. The stigma around transplants is gradually reducing - I think the internet is a factor in this. In a few years I could see the general public having a similar attitude to and awareness of hair transplants as they have to cosmetic dental work i.e. not much stigma at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

This is my two cents, http://spexhair.com/ is the best place to start researching about hair loss, great free, honest and knowledgeable advice. I've been on saw palmetto and rogaine for about a year and I think it has slowed my recession but has not actually stopped it. I went to my doctor recently and asked him to prescribe me propecia, he siad no, thought about buying online but was too scared:(, then found out that many hair clinics can prescribe propecia after a consultation, the place I rang said it would be 35euro to go and I was told that the pills cost about 50 per month, all above board, haven't been yet but seriously think I probably will soon. I also find laser combs to work for me, it's not a cure but can help stop further loss by stimulating blood flow of your scalp, it's also fda approved to treat hair loss and no side effects, youtube: The Doctors HairMax LaserComb Review.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 enter_name

This is my two cents, http://spexhair.com/ is the best place to start researching about hair loss, great free, honest and knowledgeable advice. I've been on saw palmetto and rogaine for about a year and I think it has slowed my recession but has not actually stopped it. I went to my doctor recently and asked him to prescribe me propecia, he siad no, thought about buying online but was too scared:(, then found out that many hair clinics can prescribe propecia after a consultation, the place I rang said it would be 35euro to go and I was told that the pills cost about 50 per month, all above board, haven't been yet but seriously think I probably will soon. I also find laser combs to work for me, it's not a cure but can help stop further loss by stimulating blood flow of your scalp, it's also fda approved to treat hair loss and no side effects, youtube: The Doctors HairMax LaserComb Review.

Get the Propecia...it actually upsets me that your doctor refused to prescribe it, but maybe you had some medical issue that prevented you from taking it. If that's not the case then the sooner you start taking it the better since it halts hair loss in most cases (i.e. over 80%) but only regrows hair in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

On the subject of the preventative, I had a touch of alopecia on the beard line a while back and the Trichologist in Galway helped clear it up with some UV treatments. She does all sorts of hair related problems though so well worth a consultation if you're in the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

alex73 wrote: »
    Seriously... Shave your head, Don't go down the road of implants, treatments, wigs, you will waste a **** load of money to prevent a natural change.

I don't see why people use the argument 'oh, well hair loss is only natural' and a means to justify urging others to simply 'get over it and move on'. There are a lot of afflictions out there that are direct by-products of natural causes yet the general consensus is that we should use products to either reverse or retard their onset. Should you argue that a man doesn't seek treatment for his halitosis or his smegma simply because it's a natural process?

I like my hair. I like how it feels on my head, I like that it keeps me warm and I like the look of it. It makes me feel more secure about my appearance and IMHO, it does make a difference. Eventually, I'd prefer if I didn't give a toss whether I have hair or not but considering that I'm still pretty young it's probably only a natural response. So why do some posters feel the need to deter those who have expressed concern over their failing hairlines? By all means, proffer options and alternatives, but I can't stand those who issue directives as though their suggestion is the definitive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Sweet wrote: »
    I don't see why people use the argument 'oh, well hair loss is only natural' and a means to justify urging others to simply 'get over it and move on'. There are a lot of afflictions out there that are direct by-products of natural causes yet the general consensus is that we should use products to either reverse or retard their onset. Should you argue that a man doesn't seek treatment for his halitosis or his smegma simply because it's a natural process?

I like my hair. I like how it feels on my head, I like that it keeps me warm and I like the look of it. It makes me feel more secure about my appearance and IMHO, it does make a difference. Eventually, I'd prefer if I didn't give a toss whether I have hair or not but considering that I'm still pretty young it's probably only a natural response. So why do some posters feel the need to deter those who have expressed concern over their failing hairlines? By all means, proffer options and alternatives, but I can't stand those who issue directives as though their suggestion is the definitive one.

Halitosis and smegma would be repugnant to most people but why should that be the case for hair-loss at all? I think your comparison there was invalid. Hair-loss doesn't have to be a problem if the person involved doesn't want it to be. I can see why some people would want to seek treatment, hair-loss at a young age can shake someone's confidence, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to look your best. However, suggesting that someone eschews treatment or medicine that can be very expensive and/or next to useless is reasonable IMO. It is more important to have confidence and self-esteem than it is a full head of hair.

Speaking from experience here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

As the late great Linda Smith said, all women basically look for in a guy is a nice smile and a clean shirt.

The problem with hair replacement surgery is that if you do it young, like Rooney, your own hair will continue to grey and diminish around the transplant areas.

Advertisement