Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldness treatments/cures/queries in here

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MartyMcDoodle

Hair Restoration Clinic in Blackrock is the only one in Ireland that has qualified Surgeons practicing Hair Transplant Surgery. Watch the video's of when they were on the Late Late Show it's very interesting..

http://www.hairtransplantsurgery.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

BrianD3 wrote: »
    In my opinion we're going to hear more and more about transplants for male pattern baldness in coming years. Transplantation techniques have improved and the procedures will likely get cheaper. The stigma around transplants is gradually reducing - I think the internet is a factor in this. In a few years I could see the general public having a similar attitude to and awareness of hair transplants as they have to cosmetic dental work i.e. not much stigma at all.

I agree, don't see a problem with it. Where would be the best country to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,052 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I wonder is there any chance that product will cure baldness in or lifetime with simply tablet or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

alex73 wrote: »
    Seriously... Shave your head, Don't go down the road of implants, treatments, wigs, you will waste a **** load of money to prevent a natural change.

I used regaine for about 8 years.. They say it works on 80% of men, strange how all the men I know who used it are among the other 20% :-). The treatment is really expensive and a total waste of money for me.

Anyway I am Bald now at 38 and it does not bother me.

+1 , more important to losing ones hair is losing ones self confidence... but still have a free consultation with a transplant clinic and see what the doc says...but go to a proper place like the one in blackrock that won't bull**** you....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

From the before and after pics I've seen on these transplanters, its not worth it. You still end up growing a crop that of an oul lad. Unless its thick and fairly much a reflection of the back and sides then I wouldnt bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Aquila wrote: »
    Where can you get Saw palmetto in Ireland>?

I'm fairly sure you can get it anywhere that sells vitamins and 'stuff' like that. I got it in a shop called 'Here's Health', it's actually sold to benefit something else that I forget now so don't see why it isn't widely available. I got it in the first place I tried.

Just to say, if you want to get Propecia/Finasteride (think it's the only proven tablet you can take), basically every hair clinic/hair type place can 'prescribe' it for you.
    Just to say, I went to my GP to talk about it and he said there is no way he would prescribe it to me, seems fair enough in a way because it's not an 'illness'.
    I did a quick google of hair places a few months ago, rang around and found that the first 4 places I tried that you can get it no problem where I live (not Dublin), I'm pretty freaked out about the side effects of the tablet so haven't went for it though.

Anyway, I'm just saying this because I figured if my GP wouldn't prescribe it and I wouldn't trust ordering 'a drug' online that I had no way of getting Propecia/Finasteride, but that's simply not the case, perfectly legal an all as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The stigma around transplants is gradually reducing - I think the internet is a factor in this. In a few years I could see the general public having a similar attitude to and awareness of hair transplants as they have to cosmetic dental work i.e. not much stigma at all.

I'd prefer if there was less of a stigma to baldness in general...which seems to prompt those who suffer from that stigma to pay 1000s on restoration.

But, I guess if restoration is what makes one happy, they should go for it and be proud that they got work done. I wouldn't view anyone that got restoration work done as being something to ridicule. but then again neither would I view someone's baldness as something to ridicule or look down upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,052 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not fully bald yet, but getting there.

But never had any smart remarks thrown my way about it. Not yet anyway.

If someone did I would think they feel as insecure about themselves as we baldy people are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

alex73 wrote: »
    I used regaine for about 8 years.. They say it works on 80% of men, strange how all the men I know who used it are among the other 20% :-). The treatment is really expensive and a total waste of money for me.
    Most men use it when their hair has already receded, yet I think it works best whilst you still have hair on your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Those of you who are thinning. Does your head itch, feel like your hair is being pulled, sometimes scalp numb? I have all that and it's driving me mad. If it's not one of them it's the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

^Yes that's very common aka "the mpb itch". At the very least you should be using Nizoral twice a week. It will relieve the itch, thicken the hair cosmetically and has mild anti androgen properties. There was a clinical study that showed it increases hair thickness by 10% or so. It will keep your scalp clean and healthy so you should probably use it anyway if you notice thinning. Smells nice too - in a medicated kind of way!

Minoxidil is super effective with millions of regular users but you must be religious in applying it - it only stimulates growth (for some people, crazy amounts of growth) and will not prevent further loss - for that you need a DHT inhibitor. You also have to continue using it forever. The generic version are cheap though (100 euro per year - buy online)

The real heavy hitter is finasteride which will inhibit about 60% of the free DHT that kills the follicles. The main version of this drug is called propecia (1mg a day) - this will stop your hair loss and thicken your hair but it will not regrow any hence it can be considered a preventative measure. It is expensive though (€100 a month) but you can get generic versions. Talk to your GP for a prescription. Despite what one reads on the web re side effects, it has an excellent 20 year safety profile and will work on 90% of men. I don't want to get any hopes up because it doesn't work for everybody but for the majority of people the results are insanely good. See this link here:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/patient-photos/#medications-photos-continued

As my doc said, it's the first and best line of defense.

You have to get on these treatments as soon as you notice thinning for the best chance though. Once the follicle is dead, it's game over man!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

I have nizoral, so will start using it again. I'm too paranoid to take the other 2, heard too much about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭john.west

Can anybody tell me if Proscar the cheaper alternative to Finasteride can be perscribed by a GP in Ireland for Male Pattern Baldness?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm a guy in my mid/late 20s and the genes are kicking in and I'm getting bald patches at the temples. I'm happy enough to just shave it off rather than trying other cures when it's at that stage. But here's my question, what is the point at which there is enough hair loss that you should just shave it off (if that's the route you want to go) without holding on too long or shaving it off too prematurely either?
    Secondly has anybody got any good tips/hint for shaving your head yourself, more so with electric clippers than a wet shave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

does anyone know anything about the universal hair and scalp clinic? i have a consultation booked and just wondering if anyone went already to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

crazyderk wrote: »
    I wanted to get the guys opinion on this

I'm 28 and I shower, shampoo and shave everyday, well sometimes I'll skip it on a sunday!

main reasons are

1. I feel a lot better and fresher throughout the day and other obvious reasons

2.it makes it easier to shave

3.I would then also use gel in my hair everyday and need to wash it out in order to get the control I need for my messed up spikes!

I remember hearing some tale of if you shower/shampoo and mess with your hair everyday this will ultimitaly cause baldness due to washing away the natural oils on your head or something

is there any truth to this? and if there is,
    Is prevention better than cure! Am i better being smelly and hairy or clean and bald? :D

Wow. I am in my 30s and I have a very thick and full head of hair. I was never one to wash my hair regularly. I shower at least once a day, and I would say I am a very clean person. But, I do think that too many people wash their hair too much. I shower and rinse thoroughly my hair, but only apply shampoos very sparingly. Maybe 2-3 times a month. My hair does not smell because of this. I think years of constant shampoos and gels etc probably damages the scalp and its surrounding hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭quiz

Anyone here get hair transplant surgery?

How did it go for you?

Advertisement