Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldness treatments/cures/queries in here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 crazypole

I've started using Bioxsine - present from my girlfriend. I'm 31 and rather shave my head but she wants me to fight :).

It's 50e and many pharmacies add normally 15e shampoo free. First set lasts for 48 days (a vial every 2 days, I also use the shampoo every day). Second treatment - 12 weeks (2 vials per week). According to them you should see first new, thin and brighter hair after second treatment. It should take over a year for a thin hair to turn to normal, darker ones - they recommend 3 more treatments, 1 vial a week, so 24 weeks for each set.

Product originates from Turkey. Hard to find any reviews in english. Some Turkish guy says that there are lots of negative but also some very positive opinions over there. I'd say buy 2 sets for 100e and give it a try (19 weeks). If you see even a smallest positive difference than continue.

Don't forget to post your opinion here. Too early to say anything in my case, I'll post something after finishing first set.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

Crazypole, can you just use the shampoo with out the serum? i was going to just use the shampoo instead of buying the little flasks!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

ive started using the shampoo two months ago myself, persume you have to use both!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

sorry i meant persume you dont have to use both.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

guest711 wrote: »
    Hi All,

A few months ago..well about 6, I undertook a water and juice fast for some weight loss and a ' cleanse ' . Afterwards my hairline receded a bit, on one side more than the other. Does anyone know if its a temp thing ? I ordinarily have a strong head of hair and its not thinning anywhere else. I have been also under a bit of strees the past year. Its a bit embarrasing TBH.

Ta

Sounds like Alopecia (TE) TBH, 90% chance of regrowth....fits with the timing etc PM me if you need more info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 coconut2674

I've noticed a bald patch appearing on the top of my head, it's only appeared in the last month or two, worried it might just be the brand of shampoo or maybe just your average hair thinning...

Anyone know any good products to help halt the thinning, or at least slow it down? Being bald at 22 is not a good thought for me!

I've been told Nioxin is good, but is there anything on the supermarket shelves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Hi there coconut2674,Ive merged your thread with a pre-existing thread,lots of good advice in here about treatments and what not.Hope this helps.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 charlieprince

I've started to take Lestrin. It's marketed towards the cholesterol market. 60 tablets cost around €15 in Boots. Take one a day. The ingredient of interest to us is Beta-sitosterol. Google it. Lestrin claims to have no side effects and they recommend 4 tablets a day. I will be only taking 1 because there is 400mg of Beta sitosterol in each tab and studies have shown that 50mg a day should have results. I will let ye know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Hair transplantation for male pattern baldness seems to me to be "coming out of the closet". It is still seen as sad and pathetic by many but in a few years time it may be as accepted as cosmetic dental work.

Some of this change may be due to actor James Nesbitt who has been open about his baldness insecurity and about the hair transplant he has recieved in HRBR (Blackrock) To me it looks like they did a great job.
    http://www.baldingcelebrities.com/2010/03/james-nesbitt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭oxysept

The drug works - its generally used for Glaucoma - side effect noticed on lashes - now there trying to reformulate it for baldness & get clinical approval.
    The Glaucoma version is made in Ireland already - in future the baldness version could be made here too.....:cool:

http://www.modernmedicine.com/modernmedicine/Dermatology/Allergan-begins-trials-on-hair-growth-drug/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/701856?contextCategoryId=40160

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 crazypole

C@non wrote: »
    Crazypole, can you just use the shampoo with out the serum? i was going to just use the shampoo instead of buying the little flasks!

Their website says that you can use any shampoo with the serum but theirs would be the best (of course :-) ).
    You can use just the shampoo but I wouldn't expect any re-growth, just slowing down the hair loss. At least I find it to be very effective anti-dandruff shampoo (although head&shoulders also had positive effect on me).

I've finished first Bioxsine treatment - 48 days. I must say that I have the feeling that my hair is stronger. Still seeing hair being lost (especially on my fingers after rubbing the serum) but loss of some (~100?) hair a day is normal. No signs of re-growth but they are not claiming that any will be seen after first 48 days.

Second treatment is 2 vials per week, 12 weeks total. I'm not sure how to use the serum now. Use half of the vial, wait 2 days, finish, wait 3 days, use full vial ? Or always use full one - every 4/3 days. Asked Bioxsine to advice - waiting for answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

thinking of starting to use rogaine anybody here that uses it give me any advice on using it

• Registered Users Posts: 23 enter_name

After reading most of this thread I've found that a lot of people have been giving a lot of useless information, no offense. I really feel I need to step in here and give some real advice.

The only products medically proven to prevent hairloss are finasteride and minoxidil (or their brand names Propecia and Rogaine). In my opinion you're throwing your money away buying any other over the counter product you might find in a chemist.

Propecia limits the amount of DHT (some testosterone hormone) in your body and thus prevents hairloss. It supposedly promotes new hair growth in 47% of users and limits or prevents hairloss in 87% of users.

Rogaine thickens the hair follicals thereby reducing hair loss. Not sure on the success rates of this but it would be easy to find out.

From what I understand Finasteride/Propecia is far more effective than Rogaine so if you want to choose one then go for Propecia. It really does work. Both can also be used along with one another.

I've been using Propecia alone now for over 4 years with amazing results. Both my brothers went bald very early and as soon as I saw the signs I started looking for some drug to cure or at least reduce the hair loss I was experiencing. Im now almost 30 and still have a full head of hair (pretty much). The temples have receded a little but it's hardly noticable. In contrast both my brothers were bald by the age of 24. My dad was bald by about 27 or 28.

The main reason I chose Propecia was because it was proven to be effective and all you had to do was swallow a pill once a day. The thought of having to spray Rogaine onto my head every day and deal with the possible smell issue didn't appeal to me.

Where to buy: I only ever bought Propecia online and never tried the generic products. I just felt it was more likely that the generic products would be fake. I reckoned it would be easier to tell if the Propecia I was buying online was the real deal since its colour, shape and logo are well known. I use the website Pharmcom dot com and get a 3 month supply of Propecia for around $200. You don't need a prescription to use this website which was the main attraction for me since the thought of going to my doctor and telling him about my hair loss made me cringe.

Side effects: Finasteride is shown to limit libido in some men who take it. I didn't really find this. Maybe a little at first but nothing really that noticable. I wouldn't be put off by the scare stories if you do find some. You'll find the same with any drug.

A side note: Finasteride is used in a product called Proscar also. This drug works to reduce benign enlarged prostates. There's 5mg of Finasteride in Proscar and 1mg in Propecia. Some people say you should just buy Proscar and cut it into quarters and take one quarter each day because it works out cheaper. This is ridiculous in my opinion. One, the drug shouldn't even touch the skin of pregnant women or boys still in the development stage of life so you don't want little bits of Proscar lying on some kitchen work surface. Two, by chopping the pill into 4 you're not really sure how much of the drug you're taking. Three, it's a pain to have to chop up a pill, bits go everywhere and you're left with residue on the cutting surface.

Summary: If you care about hair loss and want to prevent it go and get Propecia. Don't waste your money on anything else (except maybe Rogaine).

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Excellent post! ^^^^;)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭oxysept

enter_name wrote: »
    The only products medically proven to prevent hairloss are finasteride and minoxidil (or their brand names Propecia and Rogaine).[.

Bimataprost is also a proven hair growth drug - currently only available for eyelashes - but in Phase one trials for baldness.
    Phase 1 results due later this month.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT01189279

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I've been losing hair in the shower for years (I had long hair as a teen and never lost a single one in the shower) but it's only started to become noticable on my crown lately. I only noticed cause of a picture of me from the back.

I know a lot of you re saying just to use a mach 3 and get on with it, but trust me that look would be the worst possible look for me. Yeah it looks great on Neil Strauss but he looks half black. I have completely pasty Irish skin.

I've been using Niozoral for dandruff anyways but I don't see it making any difference to my hair.

Worst thing about it is that i can't even grow any sort of decent facial hair, just bumflummy type that only sort of grows patchy on the goatee and sideburns area.

I'll have to go and talk with my GP and see about trying some of that bioxsine and whatnot.

And as for these clinics, has anyone actually had a positive experience there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sean1111

Hi, I am 23 and experiencing some hair loss. Are there any good remedys that anyone could recommend to reverse this?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

sean1111 wrote: »
    Hi, I am 23 and experiencing some hair loss. Are there any good remedys that anyone could recommend to reverse this?
    Thanks

Seriously... Shave your head, Don't go down the road of implants, treatments, wigs, you will waste a **** load of money to prevent a natural change.

I used regaine for about 8 years.. They say it works on 80% of men, strange how all the men I know who used it are among the other 20% :-). The treatment is really expensive and a total waste of money for me.

Anyway I am Bald now at 38 and it does not bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Suck it up I'm afraid. My hairline has receded very very gradually since I was 16. I'm 28 now, so it's pretty far back. Do I like it? No! I had great hair when I was younger. But there's nothing I can do about it. Heck, even Prince William is losing it pretty rapidly.

I suggest you give yourself a Blade 1 and see how it suits you. That's what I do. It hasn't affected my life in any real way that I know of, bar some comments from the occasional ignoramus. I've one friend who can't seem to let a day go by without passing some smart comment, undoubtedly to deflect from his own obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

+1

I was well on my way at 18 and I'm 29 now. I think you should grieve for your lost hairline and get on with your life. Blade 1 is an acceptable look for prince or pauper. The potions don't appear to work, more often than not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

ive been going bald since im 17,its not too bad just the "widows peak" but i wouldnt go shaving it just yet most days i switch between a mohawk or spikes all over,ive even grown it quite long to get a good cover:D

oh and remember you are going bald because you have too much testosterone you big balled wonder:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

oh and remember you are going bald because you have too much testosterone you big balled wonder:cool:

That's what I was told too. One downside of a lot of testosterone can be hair loss, but the plus side tends to include great potential for muscle growth. I already have half a six-pack at 16% bf, which is pretty darn good (most guys have to wait until 12-10%). That said, I'd trade muscles for hair most days :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Saw Palmetto from most Holland & Barrett shops, if you want to risk the growth of moobs. It absorbs the DHT that retards follical activity.

Otherwise, follow JFK's trick of pulling at your hair every morning to increase blood flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Looking at the Royal wedding, William is very thin about, does not seem to matter to him, and lets face it, if HE wanted to get it fixed I am sure he would have the means.

Man live with it. You would be surprised by how many women are turned on by a head shaved guy. My wife says I look like Jason Stratham. (but its hard work keeping the 6 pack in shape. )

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭quiz

i hear there is a clinic in new york run by a doctor feller who will give you a full head of hair for $15,000 or clinics in dublin do it for about E8,000.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not quite true. You could have a full head of hair and very high testosterone. It just means your hair follicles are more sensitive to testosterone compared to men who don't go bald.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Basically, all wimmins care about is a clean shirt and a nice smile. Don't sweat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Basically, all wimmins care about is a clean shirt and a nice smile. Don't sweat it.

Please! Wimmins are the most fickle and fussy creatures on the planet, plus after hearing all of the negative comments about Prince William's impending baldness over the weekend, I'd say that balding is a major deal when it comes to the opposite sex.

Phat Cat wrote: »
    Please! Wimmins are the most fickle and fussy creatures on the planet, plus after hearing all of the negative comments about Prince William's impending baldness over the weekend, I'd say that balding is a major deal when it comes to the opposite sex.
    Oh yeah, like most wimmin would have turned down the chance to become the next Duchess of Cambridge based on the fact the auld lad had a bit of male-pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Oh yeah, like most wimmin would have turned down the chance to become the next Duchess of Cambridge based on the fact the auld lad had a bit of male-pattern.

Of course not, I doubt any wimmin would turned down the chance to marry into wealth, I only used Prince William as an example because of the amount of negative comments about his thinning thatch that I've been hearing of late.

Advertisement