Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thuck_Fat

Furet wrote: »
    Thuck_Fat: Your unorthodox views are one thing, but a discussion of them in this thread is improper and more suited to the philosophy or humanities forum. This goes for everyone btw, not just Thuck_Fat. Now, as cerebralcortex stated, motorways are 'ways' ('way' coming from 'weg', the German word for path) specifically for motors, not horses. You don't have to like it, but that is the way it is, and no amount of philosophising will change that. It is illegal, dangerous and indeed bizarre to encounter a horse and cart on a motorway. I rightfully reported it to the Gardaí and I hope they prosecuted that individual for being reckless.

Oops, didn't realise you're a moderator. I'll just be taking my opinions elsewhere so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

LOL^^^^^^:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Naas road yesterday (anyone who says its not a motorway will be shouted at) and this idiotic biker comes up Lane 1 at 100mph and passes everyone hogging Lanes 2 and 3. Who were going 100kmh.

Do you like the sound of 100 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

Thuck_Fat wrote: »
    It's all very complicated but if you do just a little research you would know what I'm talking about...

Thanks for being patronising – I work in a law firm. ;)

Happy to continue the discussion by PM though.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

Naas road yesterday (anyone who says its not a motorway will be shouted at) and this idiotic biker comes up Lane 1 at 100mph and passes everyone hogging Lanes 2 and 3. Who were going 100kmh.

According to his official jacket, he's a motorbike driving instructor. Well done sir, great example of how to drive.

Is it really legal to ring the guards on your mobile while driving and if you get caught doing it what the hell do you say to the guard who stops you?

Buy a car kit FFS. You can purchase a wired car kit for a little over €200. if you have opposable thumbs and the ability to read you can fit it yourself
    Then you can phone all you like.
    However, I find the guards never even ask are you on a car kit. I was also told by a Guard that it is OK to do it if there is a bigger "crime" in progress.

• Advertisement

or an earpiece for 40 quid

I have a sony ericson one

back on topic, on the M6 leaving Galway today saw a load of doughnuts on the motorway. Muppets must be out with their souped up minis at night

I'll try get pics tomorrow on the way home from work

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

who_am_I? wrote: »
    Buy a car kit FFS. You can purchase a wired car kit for a little over €200. if you have opposable thumbs and the ability to read you can fit it yourself
    Then you can phone all you like.
    However, I find the guards never even ask are you on a car kit. I was also told by a Guard that it is OK to do it if there is a bigger "crime" in progress.

Its OK to do it under ANY circumstances - phoning the emergency services on a handheld mobile phone is specifically not banned.

Chris - you hand them the phone and tell them to talk to the other Guard at the end of it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Last year when driving on the M7 between Portlaoise and Monasterevin, a car was driving towards us at 70mph on the wrong side of the motorway. All the cars on the outer lane had to swerve in. Thankfully (for us) it was a straight enough stretch and not that busy at the time so we had a few additional seconds reaction time but parts of the M7 are quite bendy so you could be in a situation where you didn't see the driver until the last second and not have an opportunity to avoid. I phoned the guards and gave the car make and colour and location driver was heading but could not get reg no. Thankfully, I heard of no accident later on because of it but it's a miracle there wasn't a collision.What type of driver would do that?? Surely it was obvious that all other traffic going the same way as them were clearly visible across the central median. Was it someone under the influence of drugs/alco? (precedent set by a certain TD who's constituents voted him back in in record numbers). If not, I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone on a suicide mission and didn't care who they took with them. Even clueless daredevils would not be that stupid!

as promised, the pics of donuts on the M6

126148.jpg

126149.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

MYOB wrote: »
    Its OK to do it under ANY circumstances - phoning the emergency services on a handheld mobile phone is specifically not banned.

Not so, you must be "involved in or acting in response to a genuine emergency" (Road Traffic Act 2006 s.3(7)(b)).

Calling 999 to report a motorbike weaving through traffic is not a genuine emergency, furthermore making such calls clogs up the system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Cyclist in full sportswear regalia on the M8 Watergrasshill bypass this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thuck_Fat wrote: »
    Oops, didn't realise you're a moderator. I'll just be taking my opinions elsewhere so...

There was a big thread on the CT forum on this and related topics recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Did anyone else see the cyclist on the M7 yesterday evening around 4? He was on the hard shoulder between the start of the motorway andf the Naas South/Newbridge exit.

I thought it was very strange but having read this thread it doesn't seem to be that unusual.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Did anyone else see the cyclist on the M7 yesterday evening around 4? He was on the hard shoulder between the start of the motorway andf the Naas South/Newbridge exit.

I thought it was very strange but having read this thread it doesn't seem to be that unusual.

I passed him on his way on yesterday morning at about 8, he was on the phone at the same time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

yop wrote: »
    I passed him on his way on yesterday morning at about 8, he was on the phone at the same time :)

Maybe he was ringing 1890205805 to report all the cars on his cycleway!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

One of the problems with Irish motorways is the lack of cameras. I would hazard a guess that 100% of UK motorways are monitored, and monitored by the police rather than civilians. So any law-breaking is witnessed by those with the power to prosecute.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Saw a guy walking down the hard shoulder on the M50 northbound heading south at about 11.10am yesterday. I kid you not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Was on the M7 yesterday evening in my Land Rover approaching the the old N8 Portloaise exit at about 110 with a Jap 4x4 in front of me indicating to use the exit, or so I thought. Had a line of cars doing 120ish in lane 2 so couldn't pull out but I didn't back off thinking he was leaving and lane 1 would soon be clear. WRONG!! He jumped on the brakes and veered on to the hard shoulder and stopped just before the slip forcing me to brake hard. Admittedly I should have predicted that the muppet may want to stop suddenly and check his road atlas and stayed back, gave me a right scare though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Was coming up to J8 on the N/M6 last week when a car dove in in front of the car in front of me. Real last second stuff, across the hatch lines forcing the car hard onto its brakes.

Then what does she do? Decides she was going right in the first place, and continues back onto the motorway towards Moate. Suppose at least she didn't reverse back down the slip. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Mr Magners wrote: »

Yeah I seen him alright, I was on a bus up from Waterford. Seen him heading the opposite direction. I would have thought the Gardai would be fairly strict on this but I've seen it a few times. A few weeks ago there was a fellah cycling on the M50, it was lashing at the time so he was just sitting on the mountain bike underneath one of the fly over bridges, not a bother on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've recently found out the my other half's dad alsways uses the motorway on his cycle route, come on at the first Bray exit southbound after the M50/M11 merge and continues on it till it reverts to N road.

Sees nothing wrong with it either :eek::rolleyes:
    mentioned when we were out the last day after I refused to go on it and we had to go through bray and he didn't seem bothered at all. *sigh*

:eek: Saw a woman of a certain community that likes to travel wheeling a buggy down the hard shoulder of M11 southbound on Monday. Jeez, I hope there was no child in it!!!

Regularly, see cars pulled over in the hard shoulder for people to answer mobile phones. Articulated lorries whizzing passed them!

It's a question of enforcement. All that is required is a policing presence and some verbal warnings. The word would get around soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think I've mentioned this before, but my wife has often seen someone crouched down, lurking in the bushes on the central reservation just after the M11 starts early in the mornings as she drives past. On a couple of occasions she's seen this eejit running across both carriageways to meet up with a tatty Ford Transit who stops on the hard shoulder to pick the guy up and give him a lift. Absolutely mental, and it's caused a few near pile-ups too.

She's reported it to the Gardai (who seemed not that overly interested or shocked) and it stopped for a while. She goes a different route now, so not sure whether it's started up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

I think the biggest issues are as follows:

A) Lane hogging and incorrect usage of lanes. The middle lane of a 3 lane is not for cruising!

B) Tractors and Bikes using the Motorways

C) Cars seemingly abandoned on the hard shoulder. The emergency phones are there for a reason. Use them!

D) People reversing back exits when they realise they have taken the wrong one

This is easily fixed. Get the Guards on the Motorways, even for a short time, and be very visible in pulling people over. Even a warning will do, as most are just ignorant as to the rules. A few TV ad's and that should at least start the ball rolling.

It's not like the RSA or NRA havent been told about this - plenty of e-mails have gone their direction.

I remember tv ads in Britain in the 1970s advising people about lane disicpline on motorways and against stopping unless in an emergency. There was one that clearly told people to get up on the bank and wait for help! These are needed in Ireland.

I am amazed that the electronic signs in Ireland don't read 'Keep left unless overtaking, no stopping unless in an emergency.'

What they read is 'Garda message: Take heed with your speed!' Useless......

There is a dedicated Garda traffic corps. I never see them on motorways. In Britain, there are Highway Agency support units in jeeps and police either marked or unmarked. Even in New Zealand, they have a dedicated motorway patrol unit, the only motorway they have is around Auckland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Not a motorway, but on the topic of cyclist behaviour, I saw a cyclist cycling through the M50/N4 interchange towards Liffey Vallet. While not restricted he was negotiating weaving traffic from the M50 N/B.
    A brave man

A pedestrian has been killed on the M7. He could have been walking to an emergency phone following a breakdown; I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

I am very sorry to hear this. My sympathy to his nearest and loved ones. It brings home everything that has been said on this thread. I pray something will be done to avoid a repeat.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Was coming up to J8 on the N/M6 last week when a car dove in in front of the car in front of me. Real last second stuff, across the hatch lines forcing the car hard onto its brakes.

Then what does she do? Decides she was going right in the first place, and continues back onto the motorway towards Moate. Suppose at least she didn't reverse back down the slip. :rolleyes:

Dozy bint could have easily gone over teh roundabout at the top and back onto the motorway.

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    A pedestrian has been killed on the M7. He could have been walking to an emergency phone following a breakdown; I'm not jumping to any conclusions.
    NFD100 wrote: »
    I am very sorry to hear this. My sympathy to his nearest and loved ones. It brings home everything that has been said on this thread. I pray something will be done to avoid a repeat.

More on this:
    A man killed yesterday after he wandered across four lanes of traffic on a busy motorway junction had been reported missing from his home on Thursday evening.

Gardai were investigating the disappearance of 68-year-old Brendan Kavanagh from Thomas Street in Dundalk, Co Louth.

Tragically, Mr Kavanagh who was said to have been in a "confused" state when he was last seen leaving his home at 6.30pm on Thursday, died after he was struck on the M7/M9 junction.

A lorry had to swerve to avoid Mr Kavanagh who was walking across the busy motorway, but he was later struck by a another vehicle.

Mr Kavanagh appeared to have climbed over a barrier and made his way across part of the motorway.

The horrific incident happened at 11am yesterday -- and the motorists who witnessed the crash were said to be in a shocked state last night.

Mr Kavanagh was pronounced dead at the scene and his body was removed to Naas General Hospital.

It is believed his car, a gold Renault Scenic hatchback may have broken down and he was attempting to cross the road.

A number of lanes along the commuter route were closed after the crash as garda forensic collision investigators examined the scene.

Tailbacks of 17km were reported as far as Kill, Co Kildare, as a result of the accident.

Rare

It is understood that gardai who attended the crash realised that the dead man matched the description of Mr Kavanagh, who had been reported missing yesterday.

His death was described by Kildare road safety officer Declan Kehoe as "very rare" last night -- as pedestrians are not permitted to walk on motorways.

He added: "We would say motorists should always expect the unexpected, Even though it's highly unlikely to see a pedestrian on a motorway."

- Eimear Ni Bhraonain

Irish Independent
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/confused-man-killed-on-motorway-2361818.html

Advertisement