Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

limklad wrote: »
    You were breaking the speed limit with your own admission between 130-140. Max Speed limit in this country is 120kph. You are as guilty as that idiot driving at 160kph+

You're quite right Limklad but the point he's making is that he is keeping a steady speed while the other driver was doing excessive speed then slowing then speeding up again while being overtaken.

A pet hate of mine is when you're driving along the motorway, somebody overtakes you and then slows down in front of you! It bugs me to hell and absolutely drives me mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

limklad wrote: »
    You were breaking the speed limit with your own admission between 130-140. Max Speed limit in this country is 120kph. You are as guilty as that idiot driving at 160kph+

Yes I'll put my hands up to that, I do it regularly. The guards don't stop me for doing that speed, I've gone through dozens of speed checks at that speed and not been stopped.

The point wasn't about the speed, it's about failing to maintain a constant speed.

The point of my original post is being lost. Failure to maintain speed on motorways is a bizzare thing to do, my reason for posting in the first place.

Someone doing a steady 130 along the motorway is a lot safer than someone who is drifting between 90 &160 depending on their blood pressure, mood, type of music on the radio etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cyclist on M50 south between J10 and J11 on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Two secondary school kids (wearing uniforms and school bags) walking along the emergency lane of the M6 near the R446 overbridge between Ballinasloe and Athlone this evening. No broken down car anywhere in sight..

I seriously hope they weren't taking a shortcut home from school...

• Advertisement

I counted 4, yes 4, tractors pulling loads today on the short stretch of the M6 between the Athenry & Oranmore exits:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I counted 4, yes 4, tractors pulling loads today on the short stretch of the M6 between the Athenry & Oranmore exits:mad:

Unfortunately some of that is N6. Trafficwatch time for the ones on the M6 section, though.

MYOB wrote: »
    Unfortunately some of that is N6. Trafficwatch time for the ones on the M6 section, though.

athenry to oranmore is M6, oranmore to galway is N6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I was absolutely delighted today at the Watergrasshill junction on the M8 to see a police jeep with lights on, a big tractor stopped in the hard shoulder and a driver getting a bollocking :D

Speaking of getting a bollocking, everyone on the M8 was slowing down around Cashel to watch a massive bull basically rape a very unwilling cow in a field next to the carriageway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

as promised, the pics of donuts on the M6

126148.jpg

126149.jpg
    so your driving on a motorway,while taking photos on your phone,all while contributing to a forum on bizarre illegal things on a motorway!

• Advertisement

I wasn't the driver :P

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

AGAIN!!!!! A woman pushing a pram/buggy down the M11 Southbound at Bray!:eek:

I wasn't the driver :P
    you look awfully far over to the right hand side of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

He drives a lhd car.;)

-Corkie- wrote: »
    He drives a lhd car.;)
    he wont mind putting up a photo of the car so!

On a scale of naughtiness, taking a photo on a near empty motorway is quite low imho, especially when compared to doing donuts on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

he wont mind putting up a photo of the car so!

why? to prove something to a johnny random on the internet, you my son need to get out more.

On a scale of naughtiness, taking a photo on a near empty motorway is quite low imho, especially when compared to doing donuts on it!
    am i the only one that sees the irony in this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

am i the only one that sees the irony in this!!

Nope, but no one else cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Two unmitigated clowns on the M8 northbound at Jn 6 (Horse & Jockey) hitch-hiking for a lift to Dublin. They were almost jumping out in front of cars.

As traffic was heavy I didnt feel it was safe to be on the phone to the guards while driving, nor did I want to stop as then I would have had to try and merge again with heavy traffic on account of these muppets. In hindsight I should have reported them anyway but its too late now.

Gotta say though, apart from the odd bit of speeding the driving on the M8 was very good. Everyone keeping left also, couldnt believe it.

• Advertisement

might look it but I'm on the left of the car. might have something to do with the way i held the phone when taking the photo, i dont know. I drive myself and oh everyday in and out of work. i spotted the donuts on whatever day i originally posted here about them, oh drove the next day so i could take the photos

simples-200x200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I keep passing people on the M1 pulled over having a chat.

The Freeman defence nonsense. Big thread and not one person could come up with a case that was won using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056066133 the OP claims to have pulled off the motorway to take the photo. I can see the motorway in his sideview mirror. He's in the hard shoulder. Its pointed out that its illegal, and someone claims we only have rules to copy the brits (:rolleyes:) and that we want a nanny state...

I hate this country sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

More and more tractors using the M20/M7 &N18 round Limerick! I wonder what the toll rate will be for them when they start using the tunnel???? :D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Was on the M1/N1 on Saturday heading north. Guy in a beat up Nissan came flying up behind me, he was getting far too close to me when I was overtaking at 120kph. He was flashing the lights as he approached - I was laughing at him, saying to the missus 'look at this idiot', I had nowhere to go to get out of his way, I was half past 2 x cars! He was holding something up at his windscreen, at that that point it looked like a fag packet.....

I pulled over after I passed the cars on the inside, the Nissan driver was still on my bumper - He pulled about halfway past me, slowed to my speed and I realised what the 'fag packet' was - He was taking photos of me with his mobile. He did the same again whilst leaning over the passenger seat then sped off, easily well over 150kph.

Bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Was on the M1/N1 on Saturday heading north. Guy in a beat up Nissan came flying up behind me, he was getting far too close to me when I was overtaking at 120kph. He was flashing the lights as he approached - I was laughing at him, saying to the missus 'look at this idiot', I had nowhere to go to get out of his way, I was half past 2 x cars! He was holding something up at his windscreen, at that that point it looked like a fag packet.....

I pulled over after I passed the cars on the inside, the Nissan driver was still on my bumper - He pulled about halfway past me, slowed to my speed and I realised what the 'fag packet' was - He was taking photos of me with his mobile. He did the same again whilst leaning over the passenger seat then sped off, easily well over 150kph.

Bizzare.

PHEWWW I thought you were going to say it was a psitol! I've watch way to much 2Love/Hate" obviously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

That thought did cross my mind at the time - Was a wee bit concerning, and I was relieved to see it was a phone to be honest!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Passed my M7/M20 sliproad today and some eejit had pulled in at the side of the sliproad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

Was driving the m20 last Sunday around 3pm between junction 3 patrickswell and junction 3 raheen exit when I came upon two lanes of cars barely moving, thought there was a crash ahead, but after a minute I saw what was causing the tailback.It was a couple of traveller hiace vans with horseboxes attached.They were getting the horses out on the hard shoulder with the sulky's as well, it looked like they were going to race the horses up the hard shoulder, it seemed complete madness what they were doin'.There was about 4 van loads of them.They brought the motorway to a standstill when I passed them.What happened afterwards, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

Was on slip road to M11 and noticed car in front was going about 70 km/hr (motorway is 120 km/hr). As soon as the main line was visible person driving car seemed to panic and pulled into hatching with right indicator on.
    (here -> http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=53.211253,-6.124052&spn=0,0.004823&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.211435,-6.124017&panoid=JB6NyUUAFM1qXjMU6X53lQ&cbp=12,220.87,,0,13.36 )

I accelerated past her on to motorway and from my rear view mirror I could see her trying to edge out on to motorway :eek::eek:

Advertisement