Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

28064212 wrote: »
    Where are there traffic lights on a Motorway? I thought one of the requirements for motorway classification was no traffic lights?

The M1/M1 junction. Heading east from Dublin airport to go onto the M1N you usually have to stop at traffic lights, instead of freeflowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I agree with you somewhat, but what if your wrong? I wouldnt fancy being sued by said individual and having to share a courtroom with the ramifications from such lowlifes.

taken in a public place so its fine, don't need permission. If there were actual issues about this you'd constantly see the likes of Facebook in court because of people putting pictures up without asking their friends

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Last week just where the M18 begins north of Ennis heading south, saw a bloody harvester! it was doing about 50/60kph To be fair they had a cars with warning lights infront and behind it but it really shouldnt have been there in the first place!

In the last week on the M11 and M50 I've come across:

Tractor northbound at Bray straddling the driving lane and hard shoulder
    Truck in the overtaking lane
    Moron stopped at the end of a junction merging lane waiting for a break in the traffic
    At least 3-4 cars pulled over in hard shoulder on the phone
    guy driving along at around 100 with his hazards continuously on for no apparent reason
    several people veering from the overtaking lane directly into a slip road exit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

Where the M4 and M6 split at Kilcock, its not unusual to see people reversing down the hard shoulder of the M4 fork cos they obviously meant to go down the M6....all this with traffic haring past at 120!!

Also, saw a person turn down the up ramp of the M6 in Athlone before...was driving away from junction so don't know how long it took them to realise their error...soon I hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

harsea8 wrote: »
    Where the M4 and M6 split at Kilcock, its not unusual to see people reversing down the hard shoulder of the M4 fork cos they obviously meant to go down the M6....all this with traffic haring past at 120!!

Also, saw a person turn down the up ramp of the M6 in Athlone before...was driving away from junction so don't know how long it took them to realise their error...soon I hope!

About 10 years ago, on the South Link in cork I met someone between the Kinsale Road and Sarsfield road Going the wrong way at about 9 on a Sunday morning.
    About 7 years ago I saw someone do a U-turn on the stretch between the Sarsfield road and Bandon road, This was at about 6 on a Friday afternoon.
    about 2 years ago I met an old man just after he drove down the off-ramp. close to Michelstown.
    Last year I met a car pulled in on m50 Southbound Red -cow off-ramp, The nose was out and she looked like she was about to do a u-turn and go down the of-ramp
    I meet a tractor on a motorway at least once a month,
    I have seen a few hitchhikers recently, around Cork and Urlingford.
    I also met some walkers on the motorway around Naas last month, This was at about 4pm on a Friday on the north-bound carriageway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thuck_Fat

Wow, I can't believe you rang the Guards over this. Unbelievable. Motorists seem to think they are the only ones in the country entitled to travel...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

On a motorway, they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

harsea8 wrote: »

the m4 doesn't split till kinnegad. At kilcock the m4 continues on and branches off onto the old national primary route, the N4.

/pedantic

I saw a van towing another on the hard shoulder between kilcock last sunday.... whats the procedure when you break down on the motorway? Its hardly wait until your mate arrives with a tow rope :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

landyman wrote: »
    the m4 doesn't split till kinnegad. At kilcock the m4 continues on and branches off onto the old national primary route, the N4.

/pedantic

You're right...I always get the KKKs mixed up

• Advertisement

whyulittle wrote: »
    On a motorway, they are.

Not in my opinion. I don't live by statutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Thuck_Fat wrote: »
    Try using that line on a garda next time you're picked up. You do realise there's a very, very good reason why a 'horse and cart' (complete with what appears to be a child on-board) isn't allowed on the motorway?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

Wow, I can't believe you rang the Guards over this. Unbelievable. Motorists seem to think they are the only ones in the country entitled to travel...

There is an alternative route to every motorway in the country.

Since we're talking about entitlements, what gives you the entitlement to decide which statutes to comply with? 'It's not doing any harm' just doesn't cut it – it's a major safety hazard and an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Ha!! :pac::pac::pac: That's one of the best things I've heard on boards in months! Only for using a word like "statutes", I'd assume you're 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

The problem is not the tractors, so much as the huge loads of straw, hay and excavators these tractors are used to pull. Surely like caravan's, there is a maximum speed that you are allowed to tow such trailers, and if so, is this level below the minimum speed allowed on motorways?

The minimum motorway speed is 50 kmp/h.

New tractors can do up to 80kmp/h.

The limit while towing a trailer ( to the best of my knowledge) is 80kmp/h, so technically theres nothingillegal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭JohnC.

number10a wrote: »
    Ha!! :pac::pac::pac: That's one of the best things I've heard on boards in months! Only for using a word like "statutes", I'd assume you're 12.

Or a member of that pictured community.

28064212 wrote: »
    You do realise there's a very, very good reason why a 'horse and cart' (complete with what appears to be a child on-board) isn't allowed on the motorway?

I do indeed. But I still disagree with making it illegal. I disagree with most 'laws' anyway. We are, as a population, being treated like children. Too many laws.
    oharach wrote: »
    Since we're talking about entitlements, what gives you the entitlement to decide which statutes to comply with? 'It's not doing any harm' just doesn't cut it...

Well, actually, I am a human. Not a fictional entity created by the state who can be prosecuted by commercial laws. I live under common law (ie the law that was in place before the British commercial laws (statutes) came into effect). We all have the entitlement to decide not to comply with statutes. Because therein lies the tragic flaw of this outdated system, our compliance is needed in order to be prosecuted under commercial law. It's all very complicated but if you do just a little research you would know what I'm talking about...
    number10a wrote: »

Thanks for the constructive input.

To be honest, I really don't see the big deal with a horse on the motorway. Sure, your immediate reaction is to perceive it as extremely dangerous. But what could possibly go wrong? As long as someone doesn't decide to drive in the hard shoulder at 120km/h... and please don't argue that the horse could stray off-course into oncoming traffic, because there is more of a chance your car will have a blow-out and do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

We all have the entitlement to decide not to comply with statutes.

Check the constitution and try again.

Statute, that's law passed by the legislature. Several common law offences have been made statutory - murder, burglary, assault and affray, rape ... fashioning an argument for the illegitimacy of statute would seem to run counter to respecting popular sovereignty and our ability to, er, pass new law :/
    As long as someone doesn't decide to drive in the hard shoulder at 120km/h... and please don't argue that the horse could stray off-course into oncoming traffic, because there is more of a chance your car will have a blow-out and do the same.

Because a car gets scared and can overreact to loud noises just the same!

Plautus wrote: »
    Several common law offences have been made statutory - murder, burglary, assault and affray, rape ... fashioning an argument for the illegitimacy of statute would seem to run counter to respecting popular sovereignty and our ability to, er, pass new law :/

Just because commercial law has adapted these common laws doesn't mean fashioning an argument for the illegitimacy of statute disrespects popular sovereignty. Commercial law may have adapted them, but they are STILL common law.

I hate to sound naive or what have you, but we do not need any new laws.

Anyway, this debate shouldn't be continued on this thread. Talk about off-topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

To be honest, I really don't see the big deal with a horse on the motorway....

You might want to look into that.
    Sure, your immediate reaction is to perceive it as extremely dangerous. But what could possibly go wrong? As long as someone doesn't decide to drive in the hard shoulder at 120km/h... and please don't argue that the horse could stray off-course into oncoming traffic, because there is more of a chance your car will have a blow-out and do the same.

Have you ever driven on a motorway? Do you understand the concept of a motor? Well let me tell you it's kind of essential for driving on a motorway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

We don't need any new laws. So we don't need a parliament :/

The law of this land is common law in that it has recourse to stare decisis and judicial review of government decisions. Never in a million years does that invalidate parliament, the executive or make new law or law-making bodies redundant. Jesus Christ! Do you not see how it's slightly disrespectful of popular sovereignty to tell the people they can't make new law and that you won't obey the law they make through their representatives (called statute) because you imagine you've some right to do so inherited from British legal tradition?

Pull the other one. You don't just sound naive, you sound like you haven't a clue.

Oh, and another thing. Commerical Law. That's a discrete area of statute and judicial decisions which relate to commercial matters (i.e. the running of companies.) You don't pin it onto everything codified by statute. So, as an idea, the following things aren't all in the arena of commercial law, aren't invalid and er, were necessary to be legislated for in the year 1994:

No. 1/1994 — Stillbirths Registration Act, 1994
    No. 2/1994 — Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994
    No. 3/1994 — Industrial Training (Apprenticeship Levy) Act, 1994
    No. 4/1994 — Social Welfare Act, 1994
    No. 5/1994 — Terms of Employment (Information) Act, 1994
    No. 6/1994 — Extradition (Amendment) Act, 1994
    No. 7/1994 — Road Traffic Act, 1994
    No. 8/1994 — Local Government Act, 1994
    No. 9/1994 — Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1994
    No. 10/1994 — Irish Shipping Limited (Payments To Former Employees) Act, 1994
    No. 11/1994 — Health (Amendment) Act, 1994
    No. 12/1994 — Referendum Act, 1994
    No. 13/1994 — Finance Act, 1994
    No. 14/1994 — Trade and Marketing Promotion (Amendment) Act, 1994
    No. 15/1994 — Criminal Justice Act, 1994
    No. 16/1994 — Health Insurance Act, 1994
    No. 17/1994 — National Monuments (Amendment) Act, 1994
    No. 18/1994 — Irish Horseracing Industry Act, 1994
    No. 19/1994 — Dún Laoghaire Harbour Act, 1994
    No. 20/1994 — Landlord and Tenant (Amendment) Act, 1994
    No. 21/1994 — Oireachtas (Allowances To Members) (Amendment) Act, 1994
    No. 22/1994 — An Bord Bia Act, 1994
    No. 23/1994 — Fisheries (Amendment) Act, 1994
    No. 24/1994 — Investment Limited Partnerships Act, 1994
    No. 25/1994 — Milk (Regulation of Supply) Act, 1994
    No. 26/1994 — Acc Bank Act, 1994
    No. 27/1994 — Solicitors (Amendment) Act, 1994
    No. 28/1994 — Maintenance Act, 1994
    No. 29/1994 — Regional Technical Colleges (Amendment) Act, 1994
    No. 30/1994 — European Communities (Amendment) Act, 1994
    No. 31/1994 — Dublin Institute of Technology (Amendment) Act, 1994
    No. 32/1994 — Select Committee on Legislation and Security of Dáil Éireann (Privilege and Immunity) Act, 1994
    No. 33/1994 — Appropriation Act, 1994
    No. 34/1994 — Maternity Protection Act, 1994

Find out more here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/home.html - there's a list for every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Well, actually, I am a human. Not a fictional entity created by the state who can be prosecuted by commercial laws. I live under common law (ie the law that was in place before the British commercial laws (statutes) came into effect). We all have the entitlement to decide not to comply with statutes. Because therein lies the tragic flaw of this outdated system, our compliance is needed in order to be prosecuted under commercial law. It's all very complicated but if you do just a little research you would know what I'm talking about...

I know the theory you are speaking of. I've bad news for you, its unfounded, and discredited.

zuroph wrote: »
    I know the theory you are speaking of. I've bad news for you, its unfounded, and discredited.

Unfounded and discredited? I don't know where you got this idea, but you are very wrong.
    The law of this land is common law in that it has recourse to stare decisis and judicial review of government decisions. Never in a million years does that invalidate parliament, etc, etc, etc, etc

Look, if you want to debate, you're going to have to speak english.
    You don't just sound naive, you sound like you haven't a clue.

There are many things you sound like, in fact I could even make a list, but I am not on this forum to engage in hostile/insulting behaviour!

Anyway, I'm done here.

ps: no, we do not need a parliament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thuck_Fat: Your unorthodox views are one thing, but a discussion of them in this thread is improper and more suited to the philosophy or humanities forum. This goes for everyone btw, not just Thuck_Fat. Now, as cerebralcortex stated, motorways are 'ways' ('way' coming from 'weg', the German word for path) specifically for motors, not horses. You don't have to like it, but that is the way it is, and no amount of philosophising will change that. It is illegal, dangerous and indeed bizarre to encounter a horse and cart on a motorway. I rightfully reported it to the Gardaí and I hope they prosecuted that individual for being reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

I haven't seen anything bizarre on an Irish motorway (yet!) but I've frequently seen people parked on the hard shoulder talking on their mobiles. I've also seen vehicles driving in the hard shoulder. Last dodgy thing I saw was on the M6 in Cumbria*. Guy had pulled onto the hard shoulder and was having a piss on the embankment, near an overbridge.

@Thuck_Fat: you strike me as the libertarian type. I'm sure you'll stick to your principles and never, ever use motorways, since they're partially funded by

:eek:taxes:eek: ;)

*yes, I know that's in England...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Gorey bypass is motorway-recently saw a guy with a motorbike parked on hard shoulder drinking tea and on the southbound carraigeway a guy stopped to read the paper.The road is regularly used by tractors,cyclists and people out for a walk,insane.Having worked in traffic management before I know full well how dangerous motorways are,there's no margin for error at 120kph.
    Compared to how motorways are policed in the UK and the continent Ireland is a joke,theres not even a place in the driving test on how to drive on a motorway:eek:

The minimum motorway speed is 50 kmp/h.

New tractors can do up to 80kmp/h.

The limit while towing a trailer ( to the best of my knowledge) is 80kmp/h, so technically theres nothingillegal about it.

vehicles that are not limited to 50 are not allowed use agri-diesel. No farmer/ contractor is really going to bother having a tractor if they can't avail of cheap diesel, just get a truck. That makes them defacto illegal on motorways

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

imo... trollin:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Naas road yesterday (anyone who says its not a motorway will be shouted at) and this idiotic biker comes up Lane 1 at 100mph and passes everyone hogging Lanes 2 and 3. Who were going 100kmh.

According to his official jacket, he's a motorbike driving instructor. Well done sir, great example of how to drive.

Is it really legal to ring the guards on your mobile while driving and if you get caught doing it what the hell do you say to the guard who stops you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Naas road yesterday (anyone who says its not a motorway will be shouted at) and this idiotic biker comes up Lane 1 at 100mph and passes everyone hogging Lanes 2 and 3. Who were going 100kmh.

According to his official jacket, he's a motorbike driving instructor. Well done sir, great example of how to drive.

Is it really legal to ring the guards on your mobile while driving and if you get caught doing it what the hell do you say to the guard who stops you?

It is legal Chris. I confirmed it with a mate in tc before. Explain to the guard what you were doing. Im sure when he confirms this youll be ok.

Advertisement