Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you from Blanchardstown

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

nudger wrote: »
    Jesus, I think I might know you.:D

Well if you went to francis xavier, coolmine and the end you probably do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

amtc wrote: »
    Well if you went to francis xavier, coolmine and the end you probably do!

Nah, just the end/Luke shorts, but took a few stroll's out to the stands all right:cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'm a blow in so my earliest memories of D15 were my first visit to the Blanch centre in the late 90s. I was checking Mass times in D15 online for my visiting mother and came across this really interesting link on the history/development of Mountview/Hartstown/Blakestown. It seems a lot of the neighbourhoods were a lot more deprived in the late 70s/80s than they are now with zero facilities and jobs. The opening of the Blanch centre appeared to reverse the chronic unemployment and improved circumstances that still remain despite the current recession. Worth a read if you enjoy local history.

http://www.stphilipsmountview.ie/history-of-st-philips

Yep, there really was sweet FA out in Dublin 15 until the 90s. We were really the last part of Dublin to get proper facilities - pretty much forgotten about by the powers that be but a great community grass roots self-help spirit developed where we did things for ourselves as no-one else would do them for us. Self-reliance was the mantra back then. Before the M50 and Blanch bypass were built in the early 1990s the main roads were rural hedgerow enclosed goat tracks. It was like being out in the sticks.

And I grew up in Castleknock which is quite a privileged area with the Phoenix Park on our doorstep - but there was still very little to do. So conditions for those living in the huge estates on the other side of Blanch village were very tough. Just houses and houses with no shops, youth clubs, leisure centres, public transport or decent roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

DvB wrote: »
    I remember there being a snooker hall up there when it first opened, was a welcome change from the regal diplomat in Corduff as I had a shorter walk to it:) don't remember it lasting too long though.

Was it called the Hot House ? dance area to the right, pool tables straight ahead and a cafe/dinner to the left ?

Does anyone remember the play bus in Superquinn ? it was in the back car park sad day when it went up in flames

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Guinness69

That has to be you Jim.

I use to deliver telegrams as a kid for that post office in the 60's. I lived in Blanch for over 40 years. Dunboyne now out about a mile with fields around me like I remember Blanch as a kid. Spent every day in the woods down by the Talka building forts and lighting fires. That was well over 50 years ago. We still have the family house there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I am from the best road in Blanch, Woodview Grove, only 70 houses, Video Connection, newsagent, TP (TP Smith's) owned a mini supermarket, Hair Today (upstairs) and then Foo Lok opened. Always had somewhere to get sweets, hair cut and when Ma realised she had no butter as she was putting dinner on the table I could run to the shop and be back in under a minute (with no queue). As I got older could rent a video and get the best Chicken Curry in Blanch without leaving the road. :D

After mass every Sunday we would go to Malones, Joe would be give my dad some potatoes, coal and then count out our sweets, that was a lovely shop.

The BMX I had I used to cycle around the fields where Laurel Lodge now is, I bought my first racer in Bridge Cycles out of my confirmation money

We used to go over to Hobby Horse/ Tuttils to have a look at the toys we could not afford.

50p pocket money used to get you a supercan and a bar from Quinnsworth

Getting the bus to the Anglers Rest or County Club. Drinking in The Greyhound and heading to Ice for late drinks on a Sunday night, climbing into bed after 4 and up at 7 for work.

When we were in Brophys (which was always where Nearby is) you would have to check if someone had bought the Connect Four in the discoloured box that was on the shelf for at least 6 years.

Naos wrote: »
    The rosie has gone to absolute muck now, tis but a drinking shell.

We had four heavy sessions a week from the late 90's and one Christmas I didn't get a drink and the next morning I was having brekkie with my auld man who got 6 pints and he would have 3 pints two nights a week. None of my mates got any but all the auld lads that drank down stairs got a heap of drink. I dug in and refused to go in as Paddy clearly didn't value the trade, net result he lost 15 punters over 15 pints. This happened in early 2000's and I have only been in twice since, both for pints before friends weddings. A good few groups of friends we knew stopped drinking there when they found out about the quantity of drink being given to the auld lads with no regard for the young people.
    His name was Clarken and I heard that he passed away. I don't know for sure though.

He was my art teacher in Coolmine, one of the lads had velco on his pencil case so when Clerkin would walk by the pencil case would get stuck to Clerkins heavy jumper and as he walked around the inside of the U shaped tables you had to put a pen or pencil in the case, eventually it would drop from the weight of pencils. Mr Clerkin would pick it up and never think it was odd he was always handing it back to a different person.
    ljcoolk wrote: »
    The fun bus beside the tennis courts behind superquinn ?

Ma drove to Superquinn and told myself (6) and my sister (7) to wait in the car, I refused to wait and made a beeline for the bus and my sister tried to keep me in the car. I made it and my sister followed and spent the time trying to get me to leave. After a while my hysterical mother arrived in out of breath, I got in a bit of trouble when da got home from work!!
    ciaran76 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the arcade above Abrakebabra? I am thinking early 90's.
    I remember playing double dragon and a few other games.

Not sure what the arcade was called, the snooker hall was Deans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'm a blow in so my earliest memories of D15 were my first visit to the Blanch centre in the late 90s. I was checking Mass times in D15 online for my visiting mother and came across this really interesting link on the history/development of Mountview/Hartstown/Blakestown. It seems a lot of the neighbourhoods were a lot more deprived in the late 70s/80s than they are now with zero facilities and jobs. The opening of the Blanch centre appeared to reverse the chronic unemployment and improved circumstances that still remain despite the current recession. Worth a read if you enjoy local history.

http://www.stphilipsmountview.ie/history-of-st-philips

Good read but one of the curates listed turned out not to be legit ;) . He wasnt even qualifed ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Guinness69

<snip>

Mod note: already posted this link in the forum, once is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rachgal

from blanch and after a brief 1-yr stint in Sligo to do a course am back in blanch, but not in original house, now behind connolly in an apartment. Yeah remember the happy blanchies and the no-names and geting fake ids for the End and stuff, happy memories. So 39/40 years! Well, suppose time spent abroad on holidays has to be taken into account..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Remember the end had to serve food..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

beauf wrote: »
    Remember the end had to serve food..

They never served food in The End. It was a substance that may have at one time borne a distant similarly to food, but it never ever tasted like food :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

So true...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    They never served food in The End. It was a substance that may have at one time borne a distant similarly to food, but it never ever tasted like food :D

After a feed of Furstenburg it tasted like food :rolleyes:

Ahhhh, the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I had a wonderful plan which was to buy cheap 21 key necklaces and wear them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I moved here when I was about 4 or 5 around 1980

Mulhuddart was a very different place years ago,

There was a Texaco petrol station where the post office is now, Texaco pulled out when Nelson's little 4m2 wooden shack shop got upgraded to a shell garage (now Topaz)
    The old Texaco lot got turned into Tara videos and a mace shop (which was later burned down) The mace shop was in competition with the 7-Eleven shop (where the chipper is now)
    The 7-Eleven shop was held up at gun point one night and there was a stand off between the cops and robbers for hours which featured on the news
    There was the big old double sided advertising billboard where the car wash is now and the coaches were parked at the house behind it
    Fruit and veg used to be sold on a stand where the shanty car park is now
    The was a hardware shop that turned into Kitchens direct where the hairdressers / Cafe etc. is now
    When I moved here they were burying the stream between Huntstown rise / Ashfield court you can see where the stream comes out at the back of the shanty car park beside the concrete bridge thats fenced off
    There was a "haunted" house in Briarwood - https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3977889,-6.4057105,3a,90y,121.22h,88.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swtbQ-HDDYEdJ04y8Z-lNtg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 (Blakestown House) which was built around when Briarwood was being built

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I remember Tara video well, they had no qualms about renting to 6 year old me the most violent and depraved horror movies you could imagine..
    Great times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

dickwod1 wrote: »
    There was a "haunted" house in Briarwood - https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3977889,-6.4057105,3a,90y,121.22h,88.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swtbQ-HDDYEdJ04y8Z-lNtg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 (Blakestown House) which was built around when Briarwood was being built

Why is that house obscured on google maps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

oblivious wrote: »
    Why is that house obscured on google maps?

The owners probably requested it, you can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

January wrote: »
    The owners probably requested it, you can do that.

Ah ok :) it sticks out like a sore thumb though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I remember the haunted house ,I wonder do strange things still happen there ?
    I grew up in Hartstown but gone a long time now so in my mind SuperValu is still there but it is still Quinnsworth to me ;) ,the secondary school is new ,waiting an hour for a 39 was not unusual ,the Blanchardstown centre did not exist .
    I remember the day the M50 toll bridge opened and a few days before there was a big party and we walked the bridge :)
    You could walk to Clonee easily by taking short cuts across fields .
    Cows once broke out from a field at the end of the road it was hilarious .
    Remember every Friday night there would be something on in the community centre ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I grew up in Hartstown but gone a long time now so in my mind SuperValu is still there but it is still Quinnsworth to me ;) ,the secondary school is new ,waiting an hour for a 39 was not unusual ,the Blanchardstown centre did not exist .
    I remember the day the M50 toll bridge opened and a few days before there was a big party and we walked the bridge :)
    Remember every Friday night there would be something on in the community centre ?

Ah now Moonbeam the ould must be failing you, Supervalue was Superquinn and Tesco's was Quinnsworth :)

Who remembers the big rotating Superquinn sign on Blanchardstown Main st beside the Greyhound?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I remember this too :D I was also saying to my bf the other day in the centre "I remember when this was all just fields" like an oul wan but it's true! lol
    Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Ah now Moonbeam the ould must be failing you, Supervalue was Superquinn and Tesco's was Quinnsworth :)
    The shop in Hartstown also used to be a Supervalu but is now a Eurospar (at least last time I was there, a while back!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

When I first moved into Hartstown back in 1982 it was a Quinnsworth with a newsagents beside it, the newsagents was owned by Mr.Horkan and named Horkans Newsagents, it then became a Supervalu and the newsagents remained but was remodelled and named Hartstown Newsagents. Years later the Supervalu became Eurospar and Eurospars owner Mr.Furey bought out the newsagents and extended into it creating the Post Office and Off Licence.
    Where has the time gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I done the walk down to the M50 toll bridge too, There were no anti-jump railings back then, I remember sticking my head over the rails and looking straight down! Very scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

Walked the M50 bridge when I was something like four and it was covered in muck. Needed a buggy because I was a lazy four.

Remember searching for frogs and stuff in those fields. Used to get conkers there. Scumbags set fires in the farmer's fields. Now they're houses.

Remember when the 39 stopped on the opposite side of the road.

The Primary school is twice the size it was when I was there. Mr. Lane hated me.

Remember when the secondary school in Hartstown was a shed. Then I went there when Flynn ran the place. The Technology teacher went a bit peculiar and recently got arrested for not sending his children to school about 2 years ago.

When you used to be able to cut through the field where the granny farm is now to go to school and the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭dodzy

Moved here in '93. I remember walking through the Blanch shopping centre the day it opened - 4 days before my wife went into labour with our eldest. Women and shops. Nothing will stop them. Ever.

Advertisement