Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you from Blanchardstown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 al30

Very sad event indeed.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/murderer-overcome-by-impulse-gets-life-458229.html

I remember the search for her. The description of her getting on the nitelink. All very very sad.

She lived around the corner from us, house was empty for a long time, not sure if anyone lives there now even

• Registered Users Posts: 34 al30

mysons wrote: »
    My wife worked in Dans Deli as well and then Scotts.:)

yeah you two were the reason I barely remember my 20's with all the nights out drinking in the Roselawn and the Greyhound not to mention the End

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

well he was ancient in 1990 when I was in school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

My wife worked in Dans Deli as well and then Scotts.:)

Scotts was a great spot for a pint and the restaurant was really nice, I think they made a balls of Brady's. What year did it close 96? and wasn't it closed for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Hiitsme

I've lived in the area all my life and I've enjoyed reading this thread.

I remember Justin's 'hut shop' (as we use to call it) where the Chinese is now. It was literally a tin hut with no windows back then before he built a proper structure. Sounds Cool then opened on the second floor.

This was the location of a old forge a hundred years ago, the location was good because it was on a crossroads - an old photo can be seen here:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/learning-zone/primary-students/looking-at-places/fingal/blanchardstown-through-ti/blanchardstown-village/

Does remember the grocery store that was located on the Rocca Tiles site ? It was set back from the road but I can't remember what it was called.

I had a huge crush on Tony Macari! I bought a lot battered sausages there in order to see the lovely Tony :D

The 39 bus was so infrequent in the 1970's that the 'blanch boys' (with their doc martins and flared jeans) used to stand on the corner of Ginelles shop (where Mace is now) to watch for the bus coming. Once they started to cross the road you knew the bus was coming :)

I remember playing in the old abandoned farm where Scoil Oilibheir is now, there was a huge field of bamboo canes. I heard that the owners liked travelling and bringing back foreign shrubs/trees, hence the huge Redwood trees that remain today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Any other info about the big house or if anyone has any photos of it. Is mr. clarkson still around the area?
    Thx

Is that house for sale currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Is that house for sale currently?
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=574149

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

This house is now sale agreed.

You really could do many good things to that place.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

There was a Video store (and for the young reading this i did say VIDEO)up in Coolmine Close beside Foo luk Chinese anyone remember the name but it was way before ChartBusters in the village so i think it was the first in the area.

Wasn't this called Video Connection?

skregs wrote: »
    Roselawn Shopping Centre used to be called Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, but they changed it so they could pretend to be legitimately call themselves Castleknock.

Are you sure? I seem to remember Superquinn and the surrounding shops referring to themselves as the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre. I could be wrong!

• Advertisement

LadyW wrote: »
    Yes, I remember the old post office very well.. what a dilapidated old building it was !

I remember going to this post office as a baby/kid with my mother and she would buy me a little cubed box with sweets in the shape of letters in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

py2006 wrote: »
    I remember going to this post office as a baby/kid with my mother and she would buy me a little cubed box with sweets in the shape of letters in it.

Alphabet letters, yum :)

I remember Malones sweet shop beside Coolmine train station. It was basically a hut. Joe Malone hands used to be black with dirt as he counted out the sweets for the 10p bags!

It was later built into a bigger shop before being replaced with apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BlanchBloke

Yeah still goin strong!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BlanchBloke

No its all D.15

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

BlanchBloke, are you texting someone there?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

Born and breed Blanch but unfortunately moved to the sticks aka Dunboyne in 96, would move back to Blanch in a heartbeat, love Blanch !

Anyone remember the phoenix park Sunday market??Used to be dragged around there many of a Sunday when I was a kid!

Hated the bloody place, always remember the first stall was a bloke selling vegetable peelers all the housewives standing in awe at the demo, while del boy peeled carrots, spuds you name it, he peeled it !

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

py2006 wrote: »
    I remember Malones sweet shop beside Coolmine train station. It was basically a hut. Joe Malone hands used to be black with dirt as he counted out the sweets for the 10p bags!

It was later built into a bigger shop before being replaced with apartments.

Ah I remember Malones, going across the railway with my pocket money for a few 10p bags! :) He used to sell coal and all sorts didn't he?

Does anyone remember when the fun factory became the hot house ?

Or when superquinn went on fire ?

The fun bus beside the tennis courts behind superquinn ?

When kasks restaurant opened in the hound ?

When they had a parade on main street, bungee jumping in the bell and Niall Quinn was the grand Marshall ?

The haunted house in roselawn beside the laurel lodge train tracks ?

I know there's a dedicated Facebook to it but thought while I'm taking a wander down memory lane might always jog peoples memory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

ah yes the haunted house at the end of roselawn - and wasn't there one up where tresmond apartments are now?

I still have fond memories of the happy blanchies, and one of the school tour that we thought was the best ever - going to watch the sausages being made in Superquinn.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

ljcoolk wrote: »
    Does anyone remember when the fun factory became the hot house ?

Yes, but I was too young to go :( I heard plenty of stories back from my friends older Sister though.. 'Shift' central :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

amtc wrote: »
    ah yes the haunted house at the end of roselawn -
    Was that the last house on the Roselawn Road where the windows supposedly always fell out?

yeah the house nearest the train station, the windows fell out :D probably a urban myth, but I suppose it doesnt help that that they have altar cloths as blinds makes it creepier :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I heard that there was a problem with subsidence in that house. Hence the problems with it. They had to fix the foundations or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BasuGasu

A V A wrote: »
    god i love hearing all these storys about blanch :) :P

im only young aswel and i can remember champion sports being in the roselawn shopping centre , aswell as the video store beside the newsagents and when tesco was quinsworth ,also tuthills toy shop

then the fun factory that was above the old extra vision beside abrekehbabrah,
    when the guarda station was beside ryans garage
    and where the new guarda station is now , thats where the old fun fair use to go !!
    cant remember what the name of the shop was were near buy is now, on the closilla road opposite the credit union ,

also remember the shop that was a cottage with a straw roof ,accros the way from sams barbers , i use to get my premier league stickers in there :P
    also the when the blanchardstown house was there but now the vinyard

up at the corduff shops , there was a snooker hall with a supermarket below it but i dont know what that is now
    the snugburough road/light nightclub (shoit hole) :P/ westend village /west end retail park, and spar and that was just one big plot of land wit a random hourse , same with where the centre was , jus the old eircom building !!

god i have a gd memory haha

The sports shop in Roselawn wasn't a Champion Sports. I remember it had a pair of rugby boots in there for the entire it was open and there were a size twenty or something...they were massive!!

The shop were 'Near Buy' or now Mace, was called Brophy's.

Remember when Mace in the village was called 'Today, Tonight'? And there was a Tile shop where Chartbuster's used to be. Remember when AIB was in the village?

Or when The Bell was 'Dermo' the caretakers office?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Rocca Tiles I think it was called.

There was also a mens clothes shop across from the the Greyhound back in the 80's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Rocca Tiles I think it was called.

I remember yer wan Michelle Rocca knocking about the place the odd time, I was only a youngfla mind you.
    ciaran76 wrote: »
    There was also a mens clothes shop across from the the Greyhound back in the 80's too.

Was it Godleys? If so, it was more of a general drapers if I remember correctly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Godleys wow. Theres a name to bring you back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Can anyone remember the name of the bicycle shop that was located on the old Navan road after Bradys (Castleknock Inn at the time)? I think it closed up in the early 90's.

Advertisement