Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you from Blanchardstown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Love this thread. I was born in D15, raised in Castleknock from 3, love the area. My dad plays a big part in Peregrines, lives in Clonsilla now as thats where all his friends are, he also used to deliver the papers around Blanch to the houses and shops when I was a kid and I can remember it from well before most of the estates were there, the days when the paper man came to your door eh. Are those little shops still in Sheepmore and Whitestown?

I also worked in Eurospar in Hartstown for a fair while. Most of my family still live there but I am across in Lucan now.

I went to Dominics in Cabra as Coolmine would only take like 5 kids from our school and Castleknock didnt have a secondary school, Hartstown school wasnt even built but there was a fair few from all over d15 going to Dominics and Declans.

mysons wrote: »
    Does anyone remember going horse racing down in the Phoenix Park or the horse races in the Phoenix Park.
    Does anyone have any photos of the races or the race day ?

Oh I so missed that post. I lived behind Russel Park and when the races were on the kids from the area used to go through a little patch of waste land and climb the trees surrounding the racecourse where the horses would run straight past. There was one tree that had the princes chair, queens chair and kings chair, wow we fought for those places. So disappointing to see it now, loved the Sunday market when there were no races. Pity I was too young to have a camera and take pics then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yep whitestown shop is still there afaik but it has changed ownership I think not sure about sheepmore

I have good memories of the Sunday Market. It's a pity they couldn't move it to somewhere Within the park when the racecourse was completely demolished.

Its up in fairy house now. Actually a fair few around, I work in an indoor market in town now, I always loved the market buzz so suits me perfect, I have a photo studio in a market and the craic is 90 as they say!

Is the school book store gone! I am still addicted to abrakebabra, I love that place, used to be the only place that would deliver when I was a kid, to our house anyway, mind it was pronto that delivered but if you ordered a pizza they would deliver abrakebabra for you too if you wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I remember the stock car racing on sundays in the field where the drive though macdonalds is now i think it was. The Thatch up in Clonsilla, when Roselawn was in Blanchardstown :), the bike shop near where the 12th lock is now, the 39 bus going past it. When the 39 was a single storey bus :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

im not from blanch in all in anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kmepll

Remember when they set up the radio station in one of the bungalows beside Ryans garage
    Rocca tiles where chartbusters is now
    National irish bank was a Butcher shop
    Paddy and Tony in Macari's (Paddy Burger):)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I visited Mountview when it was very new as my aunt & uncle had just moved in there. Sod all else around it, I thought they were mad moving out into the wild wild west!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

thomasj wrote: »
    Yep whitestown shop is still there afaik but it has changed ownership I think not sure about sheepmore

I have good memories of the Sunday Market. It's a pity they couldn't move it to somewhere Within the park when the racecourse was completely demolished.

I think it is still there, small little shop connected to a house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    I've lived here for 14 years but I'm originally from the south side.
    My husband's family moved into the first house finished in Dromheath, Ladyswell, in about 1982/3. His mother is still there.

My nan still lives in Dromheath... moved in around the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I still think of aberakebabra and those shops as new...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BostonB wrote: »
    I still think of aberakebabra and those shops as new...

Remember when the old post office and bike shop where there?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

oblivious wrote: »
    Remember when the old post office and bike shop where there?

Yes, I remember the old post office very well.. what a dilapidated old building it was !

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

Im born and bred in Dublin 15, jeez this tread really is bringing back memories! Its bad that i remember most of the old things, im definitely getting old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Blanchboh

mysons wrote: »
    Or like myself just a blow in.
    My wife is from the Clonsilla Rd and our two sons have lived in Blanch all their lives,Her father came from Clonsilla and went to school in the old school building up at St Mochta's.
    We meet in the Greyhound and danced in The End, had a ball and just love coming home to Blanch when we are away.
    So are you just a Blow in or are you from the area.

Im 27, ive lived in Clonsilla all my life apart from a stint in a sunnier climate but Ive never heard of The End altho I spent many a weekend in Ice when I was too young to be in there lol

Blanchboh wrote: »
    but Ive never heard of The End l

Closed in 94 I think, one of the few or only cluBs in D15 that some one was shot killed out side!

Never heard of the End! :eek:

Anyone remember the food they used to server in the middle of the night. For some reason I remember mushy peas and chips.

BostonB wrote: »

Anyone remember the food they used to server in the middle of the night. For some reason I remember mushy peas and chips.

Part of the old nightclub licensing, that they had to sever food. Great idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Lived in Corduff in '84 for a year or so! Moved around then for a bit, now in Clonsilla/Ongar since 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Born & reared on the Clonsilla Road, moved away for 3 yrs when I got married (couldn't afford a house in Blanch) now back living in Blanch for the last 9 years.
    I managed to drag the other half over from the south side :)

I used to go to The End every Thursday & Sunday after the Greyhound. Those were the days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

A V A wrote: »
    cant remember what the name of the shop was were near buy is now, on the closilla road opposite the credit union

Ha, Brophys used to be where the garden house is now, but it moved to where it is now and changed names loads of times
    A V A wrote: »
    also the when the blanchardstown house was there but now the vinyard

It was the Vinyard, then the Blanchardstown House, then the Vinyard again, according to my Dad anyway.

The new Garda station used to be a wasteland thing.
    The bridge beside tractomotors used to be all flat ground.
    There used to be cowfields where waterville is now.
    MK Doyles was great, used to be always in there before school
    Nobody go to Bridgets? We are red, we are white, we are f**king dynamite!

Roselawn Shopping Centre used to be called Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, but they changed it so they could pretend to be legitimately call themselves Castleknock.

They used to have a giraffes centre (like fun factory) up near where power city is now.
    Traffic used to be non-existent and the bus to town would leave you on Abbey Street.

The footroad to corduff from the garden house used to be the main road!

skregs wrote: »
    Ha, Brophys used to be where the garden house is now, but it moved to where it is now and changed names loads of times

Its still their accross the road, that was Justins old shop beofr it got tumed into the garden hoise that used to have the record shop above it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I moved to Blanch/castleknock in 86

Here a few things I remember.

Drinking in the anglers rest on Promo Night a 1 pound a bottle of becks.

Getting that minibus to "The end"

The fact the carpet floor in the end held more water than the liffey and stank as bad.

The sausage and chips you could get in the little canteen down the back as mentioned.

When There was no shopping cantre in castleknock just a newsagent where the flower shop is and a bookies. I dont even know if the Petrol station was there.

We used to to cross the M50 when it was graded dirt and wonder , what the hell is happening here??

I remember Davy and Phelans before the Bell, that place has had more work done than cher.

I have not lived there since 2006 nor been there since 2008 but its a great area.

"The greyhound" closed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Anyone remember "Sgt Peppers" in Superquinn in the Blanch

When I was in Scout (St Brigids 104/144) we used to do a bottle collection once a month. (when you actually got money back for bottles, showing my age)

We used to go and get chips there when we were down.

R

Hey I did that in the scouts/cubs (not sure which) there. Must have been back late 70's early 80's. Bit hazy... I remember them telling vampire stories on the Blanch hall, afterwards I realized it was the story of Salem's Lot from the TV.

Anyone remember "Sgt Peppers" in Superquinn in the Blanch

The restaurant up stairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

the very one

• Registered Users Posts: 34 al30

thomasj wrote: »
    It feels like the closing down of the greyhound has knocked the soul out of blanch, the village doesn't feel the same without it!

I remember doyles well! (opposite sams) the old lady in there was the nicest. I remember when mace was called today tonight! I don't remember what it was before then! I think the property place next door was always there!

With regards to buses (remember the big green ones!) the 39b was the best as it skipped
    and flew
    passed the esso garage on the navan road. I used to hate the 39A as it didn't go my way and the 39 always took forever to get back to blakestown. I
    always remembered them always changing the 39
    route. One day you'd be standing on one side of the
    road going to town, the next week you'd be on the
    other!

Remember when people in corduff had the 38C a bus route as good as the 39! It just disappeared one day! The 38a went to ladyswell and the 70 went through mulhuddart village and the nipper that was the 220!

Today tonight used to be called Baxters, he owned everything on the corner with newsagent/carpet shop/hardware shop, next door the auctioneers and a clothes shop next door to that and then the chipper, those were the good old days of the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 34 al30

God this brings back memories, moved to blanch from stoney batter in 1974, yes I am really old. living in Kilkenny now but parents still in blanch. Cant believe the Greyhound is closed, did all my drinking there and the roselawn and sometimes Davy and Phelan's, though women could really only drink in the lounge in davys. worked in Dans Deli, Tuthills and Baxters and then Regal Shoes in superquinn shopping centre. Remember Godleys and Doyles, used to go to The End and before that it was called Heartbreakers. Thursday nights were ladies free in. Heart is gone out of blanch now just one big metropolis. When we moved there in 74 we were told there would be a new shopping centre, we got one 25 years later. my friend used to live in a farmhouse which is now the roundabout at blanchardstown road north.

I remember the big house in Corduff we used to go to mass there until the church was built.

Went to school in stanhope street and had to get the No. 70 banger bus in cos no 38c for a good few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

skregs wrote: »
    Nobody go to Bridgets? We are red, we are white, we are f**king dynamite!

Yep went to Bridgets, the amount of times we got to croker was unreal some craic. Also a tone of Dublin footballers came out of that school.

Somebody else mentioned it but the character is gone out of the area - now the only character/community I get is through my involvement with brigids gaa club sad to see it really.

Advertisement