Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you from Blanchardstown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Only talking to someone about this yesterday, no way.

It was Cassidys, I think it was Philip Cassidys fathers shop. I bought a BMX of him many year ago. I used to walk from Mountview down to his shop at least once a week to pay him some money off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Beside the bike shop was a wallpaper/paint type shop and that was a long walk back if you had to pick up a tin of paint or a few rolls of wallpaper.

Also remember there was factory around there that made vegtable fat and burned down or maybe I am mixing stories up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No the your right factory was opposite. Burned down in the 90's I think. (1994)

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/573821

Dunno if its the place mentioned here.
    http://www.dublin1850.com/porter1912/page04.html
    the establishment of Blanchardstown Mills in the late 18TH Century, which

took advantage of the development of the Royal Canal to transport goods and access markets.

It later became a flour mill and was subsequently used for manufacturing margarine until a

major fire in 1994. The Village also contained

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:VOIZ8ptddcUJ:www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/PlanningItemsOnDisplay/BlanchardstownVillageUDFP-ends171209/publications,30343,en.pdf+&hl=en&gl=ie&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESj3d61i1wDL7H3EtPjOnGocF9aJwWvOr0uMR7-8A8hwMnWViX9P-pNEkUFZHNsL0IrHsjw0xOU22XiabXdgpELzJC0RW88TKhfidCICPA8eglD2ymM1Shc1mLaGc5OMFEZvFkAU&sig=AHIEtbT4Yi8ICWmi0P8wwD9oG3IcivwLkw&pli=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

That was Crest foods, they made cooking oils etc, when it went on fire the black smoke could be seen from Cabra.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

No1J wrote: »
    Scotts was a great spot for a pint and the restaurant was really nice, I think they made a balls of Brady's. What year did it close 96? and wasn't it closed for a good while.

Am i right in saying Adam Clayton from U2 actually built Scotts (now Bradys?)

• Advertisement

Thought Bono had supplied the money for the build and that his brother ran the place as his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

nudger wrote: »
    That was Crest foods, they made cooking oils etc, when it went on fire the black smoke could be seen from Cabra.

Was that where the 12th lock bar is now?

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Was that where the 12th lock bar is now?

The apartments opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

No idea on this one but I remember the 'Castleknock Inn' that Scotts replaced, a bit of a dump in its final year with rips seats and all that went with pubs in the 80's....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No idea on this one but I remember the 'Castleknock Inn' that Scotts replaced, a bit of a dump in its final year with rips seats and all that went with pubs in the 80's....

Remember it alright from the 80s. Was only there once (that was way out in the country for me!) but it was memorable it such a dump.

• Advertisement

in fairness it was on par with most of the other pubs at that time. all of which were kinda shabby.

Bono's brother sells Dublin restaurant, bar for £2.75m - Irish Times
    www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/1998/.../98061000151.html10 Jun 1998 – Wed 06 Jun 1998Bono's brother sells Dublin restaurant, bar for £2.75m ... region of £2.75 million for Scotts restaurant and bar at Castleknock, ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Can anyone remember the name of the bicycle shop that was located on the old Navan road after Bradys (Castleknock Inn at the time)? I think it closed up in the early 90's.

If my memory serves me right that was Bridge Cycles ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

garkane wrote: »
    If my memory serves me right that was Bridge Cycles ;)

Ah yes Bridge Cycles, got a Viking Racer from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

I'm a blow-in, originally from the leafy suburbs of the southside ;) living here about 7 years...boyfriend moved in a few months ago as well, hes from tallafornia!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

No, but I rented in Hartstown for a couple of years in the late 90s while working out there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Grew up in Castleknock, moved away in 1999 and lived all over Dublin till I moved back in 2008.

This thread really makes the memories come flooding back!:)

Tuthills in Roselawn used to be called Hobby Horse. It was the local toy shop. The Roselawn library - my sisters and myself were members and kids certainly had to be seen and not heard there.:o

Godleys in Blanch village - wow, that's a blast from the past but I do remember it. Also used to go to the End - often underage with fake ID - it was getting tired, dated and tacky by the time I was going there in the 90s.

Sure, Dublin 15 has changed hugely - it's got the population of Limerick city now - but there are still great spots like the Phoenix park, Strawberry Beds, along the Royal canal, Tolka Valley etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

It was called the "Twin Oaks" before it became the Castleknock Inn. My parents used to bring my grandparents there for a drink in the late 60's/early 70's.

Back then that was the main Navan Road.

Anyone remember the arcade above Abrakebabra? I am thinking early 90's.
    I remember playing double dragon and a few other games.

I don't remember it bring there long. Used to be one above Justins when it was at the lights at the end of Clonsilla road. Where the Chinese is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Ah Godleys was great - got my communion socks there!
    And I came up with the great idea of buying cheap '21' necklaces to get into The End. When a guy'd ask you to go out to the racecourse you had it made - ! Mind you my dad was still picking me up...

Bizarre things you recall - when Superquinn opened, we in school were sent down to see sausages being made. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭DvB

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the arcade above Abrakebabra? I am thinking early 90's.
    I remember playing double dragon and a few other games.

I remember there being a snooker hall up there when it first opened, was a welcome change from the regal diplomat in Corduff as I had a shorter walk to it:) don't remember it lasting too long though.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I remember there being a snooker hall up there when it first opened, was a welcome change from the regal diplomat in Corduff as I had a shorter walk to it:) don't remember it lasting too long though.

Yeah there was snooker in there too. Should have mentioned that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

mysons wrote: »
    Or like myself just a blow in.
    My wife is from the Clonsilla Rd and our two sons have lived in Blanch all their lives,Her father came from Clonsilla and went to school in the old school building up at St Mochta's.
    We meet in the Greyhound and danced in The End, had a ball and just love coming home to Blanch when we are away.
    So are you just a Blow in or are you from the area.

I'm neither a blow-in or from the area. Is this info useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

DvB wrote: »

It also used to be a "Fun Factory" which as I remember in my opinion at the time was a poor mans Giraffes (which used to be near the fire station in Coolmine).

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Was the snooker hall/arcade called Dean's??

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Nolimits wrote: »
    It also used to be a "Fun Factory" which as I remember in my opinion at the time was a poor mans Giraffes (which used to be near the fire station in Coolmine).

Definitely remember having some killer birthdays in The Fun Factory when I was wee.

amtc wrote: »
    Ah Godleys was great - got my communion socks there!
    And I came up with the great idea of buying cheap '21' necklaces to get into The End. When a guy'd ask you to go out to the racecourse you had it made - ! Mind you my dad was still picking me up...

Bizarre things you recall - when Superquinn opened, we in school were sent down to see sausages being made. Why?

Jesus, I think I might know you.:D

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Was the snooker hall/arcade called Dean's??

I associate Dean's with snooker but thought Deans was above the Garden House/Justins but might be mixing the places up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm a blow in so my earliest memories of D15 were my first visit to the Blanch centre in the late 90s. I was checking Mass times in D15 online for my visiting mother and came across this really interesting link on the history/development of Mountview/Hartstown/Blakestown. It seems a lot of the neighbourhoods were a lot more deprived in the late 70s/80s than they are now with zero facilities and jobs. The opening of the Blanch centre appeared to reverse the chronic unemployment and improved circumstances that still remain despite the current recession. Worth a read if you enjoy local history.

http://www.stphilipsmountview.ie/history-of-st-philips

Advertisement