Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you from Blanchardstown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

oblivious wrote: »
    Its still their accross the road, that was Justins old shop beofr it got tumed into the garden hoise that used to have the record shop above it

Ah the record shop over the Garden House
    It was called Sounds Cool I got my first single and album in there.
    Scared the life out of me, I was only 11 and the place was full of skins and punks

R

• Registered Users Posts: 34 al30

Bulmers wrote: »
    The Friday night "GAA" at Russell Park..an institution in it's day,if you didn't get tickets and get in on a friday night, you may aswell go home and watch Gaybo with the folks as everyone in blanch would be in there..great nights

...No name club at Brigids church..

...Godleys clothes shop in Blanch village where the old AIB used to be opposite Greyhound...

the big traveller site where the shopping centre is now,it was huge..

..remember when the new N3 was being built and the massive earthmovers that were going across the snugboro road..

..the old "boreen" road to Clonee when clonee was the countryside and just had it's 5 pubs ( i'm from Blanchardstown and live there now..!")

..anyone from the corduff remember the big mansion in the park in corduff..was burned down on sunday morning, remember that well..

..anyone else from the Corduff / Edgewood Lawn / Brookhaven area remember the friday nights down on the bridge in the valley..used to be 100s of us down there..

those were the days...

used to go to mass in the big mansion before the church was built

Blanchboh wrote: »
    Im 27, ive lived in Clonsilla all my life apart from a stint in a sunnier climate but Ive never heard of The End altho I spent many a weekend in Ice when I was too young to be in there lol

It was called heartbreakers before it became the End

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

I remember Heartbreak very well ! And City Limits... oh and going to see live bands in Luke Shorts - happy days ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭SarahMs

Hartstown disco anyone?! Ah... I thought I was so grown up getting the bus from the Clonsilla road to Hartstown and back again.
    Huntstown school when it was TINY. The sadness when the wall was built between Summerfield and the centre. Or the man from the old Bookshop in roselawn who used to talk for hours. or the guy who still does the trolleys at Tesco. The smell of the library at Tesco. When the big fences when up around Xaviers school and we couldn't play football in there at the weekends. Before the big fences went up at Coolmine sports complex and playing basketball in there anytime ya wanted. When ya could get a bar and a can out of the vending machines in Coolmine and still have change of a pound.When centre 'costcutters' had an atm. The street parties in Huntstown.
    When the walk from Summerfield to Carpenters town took agesssssssssssssssssssss because you only ever got driven there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

SarahMs wrote: »
    Hartstown disco anyone?! Ah... I thought I was so grown up getting the bus from the Clonsilla road to Hartstown and back again.
    Huntstown school when it was TINY. The sadness when the wall was built between Summerfield and the centre. Or the man from the old Bookshop in roselawn who used to talk for hours. or the guy who still does the trolleys at Tesco. The smell of the library at Tesco. When the big fences when up around Xaviers school and we couldn't play football in there at the weekends. Before the big fences went up at Coolmine sports complex and playing basketball in there anytime ya wanted. When ya could get a bar and a can out of the vending machines in Coolmine and still have change of a pound.When centre 'costcutters' had an atm. The street parties in Huntstown.
    When the walk from Summerfield to Carpenters town took agesssssssssssssssssssss because you only ever got driven there

Summerfield is not that old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭SarahMs

.............. I never said Summerfield it's self was old.... ?

SarahMs wrote: »
    .............. I never said Summerfield it's self was old.... ?

A ok;)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mysons

My wife worked in Dans Deli as well and then Scotts.:)

mysons wrote: »
    The shop were Mace is now was called Ginnels my wife went to school with one of them. She also sold news papers outside Bridget's church on a Sunday morning.

We watched Ireland beat England in Euro 88 in the Roselawn and then watched David O Leary score the winning peno in Italia 90 at the same pub.

do you remember we used to have to be there three hours before kick off to get a seat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

al30 wrote: »
    do you remember we used to have to be there three hours before kick off to get a seat

The rosie has gone to absolute muck now, tis but a drinking shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LeSageMignon

I'm from Blanch. Used to love it but the scumbags are slowly but surely ruining the place. The older estates (Roselawn, Delwood, Brompton, Coolmine, Broadway, Glenville, Springlawn, Hazel Lawn, Rushbrook, etc.) are lovely but one or two dodgy families moving in can ruin the place. I work in Blanch now so can't move too far away. It's such a pity that it's changed so much. It was considered a quiet country village when my parents moved there. Even the school I went to has changed dramatically. The kids in the uniform all look and behave like knackers now. If OB was still there they'd behave ;) Maybe if the people who loved the place could organise some kind of community activities the sense of a peaceful, friendly community could be regained.
    Rant over! ;-)

I loved cycling by the fields where Carpenterstown is now, or all the way into the park (the road's too busy for kids now) and our school did cross-country running in the fields where The Blanch Centre is now! Doyles shop had lovely sweets that you bought by weight in a paper bag (a quarter of Apple Drops!). My pubs were the Angler's, The Rosie and later The Carpenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

mysons wrote: »
    Does anyone remember going horse racing down in the Phoenix Park or the horse races in the Phoenix Park.
    Does anyone have any photos of the races or the race day ?

Anyone remember the phoenix park Sunday market??Used to be dragged around there many of a Sunday when I was a kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Got my first Liverpool jersey at that market. Good times.

I moved out to Ballsbridge in November, and I every time I come back to Clonsilla, I feel like it should have changed loads as in; I wouldn't even recognise the place.

But since I come back every two or three weekends, it probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Bulmers wrote: »
    ..anyone else from the Corduff / Edgewood Lawn / Brookhaven area remember the friday nights down on the bridge in the valley..used to be 100s of us down there..

those were the days...

Yes indeed :D

Until the sad murder of Malylin Rynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Yes indeed :D

Until the sad murder of Malylin Rynn.

Very sad event indeed.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/murderer-overcome-by-impulse-gets-life-458229.html

I remember the search for her. The description of her getting on the nitelink. All very very sad.

Very sad event indeed.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/murderer-overcome-by-impulse-gets-life-458229.html

I remember the search for her. The description of her getting on the nitelink. All very very sad.

At the time everyone was a suspect. No one knew what happened for a while so everyone suspected everyone. The individual in the end was completely unexpected and if it were not for the cold weather he may have got away with it.

Big, big news at the time.

At the time everyone was a suspect. No one knew what happened for a while so everyone suspected everyone. The individual in the end was completely unexpected and if it were not for the cold weather he may have got away with it.

Big, big news at the time.

I was in the Greyhound the night he got his head and beard shaved for charity, he was arrested a few days after that but its strange thinking back of that night

I was in the Greyhound the night he got his head and beard shaved for charity, he was arrested a few days after that but its strange thinking back of that night

A few lads who are slightly older than me told me exactly the same thing. You may know them ;)

Supposedly he was a long time regular there and no one suspected him.

He went to school with Larry Murphy believe it or not.

A few lads who are slightly older than me told me exactly the same thing. You may know them ;)

Ah you did not have to be that old to drink in the Grayhound at the time :D
    Supposedly he was a long time regular there and no one suspected him..

He did look like your quincential loner/killer though :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Was there some nickname for him in the pubs that he drank? Was he called Jesus because of his long beard?? Seem to remember hearing something about this.....

Your right, but Declan always caught me as I had extremely youthful looks :D

And yes he did in hindsight have that look about him. :eek:

Was there some nickname for him in the pubs that he drank? Was he called Jesus because of his long beard?? Seem to remember hearing something about this.....

Spot on.

That was his nickname. Very fitting and no so at the same time :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

LadyW wrote: »
    I remember Heartbreak very well ! And City Limits... oh and going to see live bands in Luke Shorts - happy days ;)

I remember heartbreaks well,chips and peas flying everywhere. the live bands were in City limits. Luke shorts was the disco bar. think the head barmans name was Carlos always throwing Ice and the bottles in the air.
    Was there the day the place was burned down in the small pool bar in the grounds that stayed open after the main place closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

grew up in glenville, went to school in francis xaviers and coolmine. had my first kiss in the roselawn (i know!) and walked home from the end more times than i remember. I still can feel my shoes getting stuck to the carpet! when you scored a guy would ask you out behind the seats of the racecourse....glam or what?!

tea in the coffee shop in superquinn or the one that is now near tesco.

being brought down to get my hair cut in roselawn and my first boots in tony fassnidge. The library where the doctor's is now. The mobile library that stopped in Woodview Grove. the happy blanchies! the no name club. the cool coolminers badge. God I nearly feel nostalgic. Probably why I moved all of 500 m away from home.

I too recall the sunday markets in the park and the garden centre. plus I learnt how to drive on the roads between clonsilla and dunboyne (and this was the 90s!).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ciarakitten

Hello All
    Does anyone know who used to live in the old house across from the Bell Pub? this is the one I mean? Any info about it great appreciated.

its the house that is derelict on the very corner of river road (in front of ardee house)
    Thanks D15

Hello All
    Does anyone know who used to live in the old house across from the Bell Pub? this is the one I mean? Any info about it great appreciated.

its the house that is derelict on the very corner of river road (in front of ardee house)
    Thanks D15

Hi Ciara,
    I think it was owned by a really nice man called Mr. Clarken who was an art teacher in Coolmine Community School.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ciarakitten

Any other info about the big house or if anyone has any photos of it. Is mr. clarkson still around the area?
    Thx

His name was Clarken and I heard that he passed away. I don't know for sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I am not from Blanchardstown but I have lived in the area since 1983. I suppose I will always be a blowin!

Advertisement