Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

mike65 wrote: »
    Has he fecked off on holiday again?

God i hope so. I listened to RTE1 this morning was very impressed. John Murray is presenting it. Lovely man

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

femur61 wrote: »
    God i hope so. I listened to RTE1 this morning was very impressed. John Murray is presenting it. Lovely man

Completely agree John Murray doing a fantastic job!!

Tubs this morning played a Lady Gaga track then just stopped it halfway through saying that it was basically annoying him so he would play something more suited to his taste :eek:

F*ck the listeners basically - if he was so annoyed by a track just don't play it!! He does the same with the headlines as well - will mention a headline then express that he basically think it's crap and won't cover it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

dubsgirl wrote: »
    He does the same with the headlines as well - will mention a headline then express that he basically think it's crap and won't cover it...
    like anything remotely critical of FF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Ever since Tubridy did that utterly shameful "interview" with Patrick Bartholomew Ahern on the Late Late Show where he treated Ahern as if he were one of the lads I have not been too keen on the guy. I used to listen to him each morning simply because he was on but, in fairness, also because he came across as sensitive and articulate.

When he interviewed Cowen, shortly after his interview with Ahern, and accused him of being an alco I just stopped listening to him.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    When he interviewed Cowen, shortly after his interview with Ahern, and accused him of being an alco I just stopped listening to him.

utterly baseless accusation:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

He was in full FF damage limitation mode this morning. Unbelievable that Pravda RTE allow this. Not even a pretense of not having a bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Completely agree John Murray doing a fantastic job!!

Tubs this morning played a Lady Gaga track then just stopped it halfway through saying that it was basically annoying him so he would play something more suited to his taste :eek:

F*ck the listeners basically - if he was so annoyed by a track just don't play it!! He does the same with the headlines as well - will mention a headline then express that he basically think it's crap and won't cover it...

I heard that too. I was so annoyed. How dare he. Surely he should look through the playlist before the show to OK it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I found the podcast of his show useful for checking out the headlines on the day's papers.... but he cant even do that objectively.. read out all the Anti -Cowan/FF stuff in his most facetious voice today, to convey to people that they should the papers in questions have no credibility... It's not a review of the papers, it's FF propaganda..

And the soundbytes he uses, like the one today from the Wizard Of OZ, are just cringeworthy.. Cant see him lasting too long in this spot... John Murray is off to a brilliant start at the same time on RTE ONE... Why dont they let him review the papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

He is a biological accident. Just because he is the result of someone from RTE screwing someone else we have to put up with him for the next 40 years.He has been in there since he was 5 years of age. Talk about lack of ambition and playing it safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭jane wani

well as i have said b4...there really isnt anything worse on radio these days..
    infact ...after the nob nation portrayal of a drunk,loud mouthed brian cowen, our dearest ryan tubridy was so afraid hed be seen as one of the laughing thousands,that he felt the need to point out to listeners...and i quote
    " that wasnt brian cowen" ..just incase anyone ...blah balha blah twitter facebook...hawhaw...dear god ryan...please for the sake of irish radio...retire..
    just do the decent thing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Hey may not have directly meant it as advice specifically for Tubridy, but something Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh said to Tubridy on the Late Late Show tonight stuck with me as something that he (and all broadcasters) would do well to remember and heed...

"While you're broadcasting, you're neutral."

Mícheál meant it from a team loyalty point of view, but it could be taken to cover other allegiances too - political, religious, etc.

I thought his "moment" with Cathal Goan was particularly awkward.. Tubridy introduced Goan (who was contributing to the segment on Michael O' Muircheartaigh) saying "Cathal Goan, who always looks at me as if to say 'you're an eejit, but you're okay'", to which Goan replied: "That's an outstanding example of his editorial skill" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I personally really enjoy himon the LLS but can't listen to him on RTE2. Don't know he doesn't seem comfortable with spot and if he is doesn't translate that at all.

One topic that struck me as a particular moment that G Ryan would have been in his element was the discussion over Brian Cowan... I can imagine G Ryan enjoying reciting similar old drunken war stories of nights he himself had spent out til 5 o'clock and had to be in for some show early in the morning, told with all of his usual colour, bombast and exaggeration.

What does Tubridy give us? ... "Is it not alright for one to go out the night before one's interview? What would one do in a similar situation? Contact us on Twitter and let me know."

Tubridy is not suited to Radio full stop.
    He's useless on it.

Tubridy is not suited to Radio full stop.
    He's useless on it.

useless on TV too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

One topic that struck me as a particular moment that G Ryan would have been in his element was the discussion over Brian Cowan... I can imagine G Ryan enjoying reciting similar old drunken war stories of nights he himself had spent out til 5 o'clock and had to be in for some show early in the morning, told with all of his usual colour, bombast and exaggeration.

What does Tubridy give us? ... "Is it not alright for one to go out the night before one's interview? What would one do in a similar situation? Contact us on Twitter and let me know."

The more I hear of Tubridy the more I miss listening to Gerry. used to be in stitches at some of the bawdy sh1t he came out with.
    Tubridy has no sense of humour whatsoever and feels the need to remind us every 5 minutes about how intelligent he is with his books and interest in american politics, he is terrible at relating to the callers, comes across as patronising instead of showing empathy. and dont even get me started on his fcukin obsession with twitter. not good radio at all.

Listening to him this morning, the usual mention of tweeting and Bill Clinton every 5 mins, but he became very nasty at the end of the show.

He had Dathi O Shea and Claire Byrne in pluggin their new TV show, he obviously felt very inferior to both of them, he spent the entire interview slagging them and demeaning their new show.

Real 6th year bully picking on the 1st years type of stuff.

Tubs is a nasty little piece of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Poly wrote: »
    Listening to him this morning, the usual mention of tweeting and Bill Clinton every 5 mins, but he became very nasty at the end of the show.

He had Dathi O Shea and Claire Byrne in pluggin their new TV show, he obviously felt very inferior to both of them, he spent the entire interview slagging them and demeaning their new show.

Real 6th year bully picking on the 1st years type of stuff.

Tubs is a nasty little piece of work

Skin-crawlingly bad.
    "And now folks, here's a track from Franz Ferdinand"........... cos I is a man of the people.

i agree with all of the above...and just to add ...his utter slating of the mentally ill woman he had on his latelate dog of a show was so lacking in class i could hardly believe what he said....he described her as the "fish who just jumped onto the hook...
    ah it was great ..the gift that kept on giving...so good..".he says.
    anyone watching the show was fully aware angel woman wasnt all there..

but here was tubridy ...two days later...telling us all what a great laugh it was to have such a nutter on the show...he didnt say that at the time...he was polite and as it now turned out...totally twofaced
    the cowardice of this man is something to behold..

please lets all get him off the air...some how some way...we can do it..
    im thinking a facebook page ...yes ...he will be shocked by that ...lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I listened to him last week for 3 minutes before i had to change the station. He's dreadfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

he has to go full stop:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

At least G Ryan provoked genuine debate.......Mr Tubridy offers absolutely nothing in terms of entertainment and passion the way the bould Gerry did.......a total waste of space, I'm actually mystified why I even feel the need to write this, he engenders such little interest, save for the fact that he is even allowed on the airwaves in the first place, his insignificance is his most compelling trait........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

There is no accounting for other peoples taste, but I think Tubridy could well be heading for a JNLR disaster.

Rubik. wrote: »
    There is no accounting for other peoples taste, but I think Tubridy could well be heading for a JNLR disaster.

I think your right, as Ian Dempsey pointed out, on radio 1 he was propped up by morning Ire. and Kenny.

He has nothing new to offer in an increasingly busy hour, Yeats is v.good on newstalk and Murray is good on 1, Tubs is dire

please all remember to vote on my poll people...its coming along nicely..
    again i agree with all the above...and lets all hope a facebook page dedicated to ousting him will happen soon..

i caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant bear the guy...he makes my skin crawl..
    also im not sure if hes 34, or 74, both without any life experience..:eek:

Poly wrote: »

Just listened back to it on the website there Poly.. He was very unnecessarily cynical and skeptical .... (think he thought it was funny).. I just wish they had batted it back to him and put similar questions to him regarding his capability of taking over from G Ryan considering that a stamp has more personality than him...

And his remarks about Maura's husband (she's married to FG "renegade smoker" John Deasy) not getting on with Enda Kenny were uncalled for.

He always goes for the cheap "abuse the guest" joke, instead of actually constructing real humour, which he seems incapable of.. it's the equivalent of the stand up comedian cursing..

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Well looking at the 'RIP Gerry Ryan' page on facebook, they asked how was tubbridy doing, and I recon 75% of the 300 or so comments are not positive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

I dont hate tubbridy... he is just on the wrong station... put him back on rte 1...

Advertisement