Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

He hasn't been on any of those topics since he started on 2FM. :confused:

i think thats the point lenny.

its like sticking paxman in the slot. its a totally different audience he's appealing to now so he's taclking subjects he's no interest in.

bizarre as it may sound hector would probably be a better fit for ryans show than tubs. the bloke does my head in but its a similar mold he's come from as ryan.

turbidy feels like a barrister chucked up on a comedy club stage and told to improvise.

i reckon the natural slot for him is pat kennys show if he ever leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭prunudo

The show has now had 6 days and i've heard bits and peices of it. He is presenting a very 'easy listening' show. I think it will take him a while too find his feet. At the end of the day he is filling the slot of G.Ryan, he is not replacing G.Ryan. He will add his own style and it will probably get better as the weeks go by and he settles in.

There is huge pressure on him to live up to Gerry but lets face it nobody could replace him.
    In the long run though I can see Colm Hayes appealing to Gerry's listeners, not straight away but I think he is more similar to Gerry than Tubridy ever will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 theneed2rock

indeed it will take him time to fit in! he's just not funny enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

turbidy feels like a barrister chucked up on a comedy club stage and told to improvise.

bang on - that's exactly what he's like. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

magnumlady wrote: »
    I listened to a bit of it. A couple of women phoning in about their first days at college/work.
    Thought it was dull to be honest. Although I did only listen for about ten minutes.

It was dull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I was listening to Matt Cooper earlier, they were talking about the new RTE schedule etc.
    He mentioned Tubs working on an documentary about …….you guessed it , the Kennedys.
    I knew he was writing a book about JFK, I presume RTE will be conveniently showing the documentary to coincide with the release of his book.
    How will he interview himself on the late late?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Poly wrote: »
    I was listening to Matt Cooper earlier, they were talking about the new RTE schedule etc.
    He mentioned Tubs working on an documentary about …….you guessed it , the Kennedys.
    I knew he was writing a book about JFK, I presume RTE will be conveniently showing the documentary to coincide with the release of his book.
    How will he interview himself on the late late?

And I'd imagine that, as with all media portrayals of the Kennedys, it'll be incredibly superficial and fawning.

In a word-useless.

I didn't hear the show today, did he complain that someone called him *rick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Its in this evenings papers, so I guess he must of. Some randomer apparently kicked him last weekend and someone shouted "Tubridy you prick" from a passing car.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/tubridy-reveals-pitfalls-of-fame-as-hes-attacked-in-street-2318487.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

to be fair, he had a point. :D
    Listened to the start of the show, first 15 minutes a Dublin 4 opinion piece from the Ivory Tubridy Tower's. I've no interest in his silver spoon life. Gerry Ryan had a way of making a monologue interesting, a talent which I dont think I fully appreciated at the time.. Tubridy would just put you right back to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Rubik. wrote: »
    Its in this evenings papers, so I guess he must of. Some randomer apparently kicked him last weekend and someone shouted "Tubridy you prick" from a passing car.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/tubridy-reveals-pitfalls-of-fame-as-hes-attacked-in-street-2318487.html
    I wonder where JonathonAnon was last weekend?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hey Ryan....uh, how you comin' on that kennedy bio you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big kennedy bio you've been working on for 3 years? Huh? Gotta, gotta compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Gotta story brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? Yea, talking about that 3 years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle, and end? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? At the end your main character is richer from the experience? Yeah? Yeah?

Oh I know it hurts now Ryan, but look at the bright side: you have some new material for that kennedy bio you've been writing. You know...the bio you've been workin' on? You know the the one, uh, you've been workin on for three years? You know the novel. Got somethin' new to write about now. You know? Maybe a, maybe a main character gets into a relationship and suffers a little heartbreak? Somethin' like what... what you've just been through? Draw from real life experience? Little, little heartbreak? You know? Work it into the story? Make the characters a little more three dimensional? Little, uh, richer experience for the reader? Make those second hundred pages really keep the reader guessing what's going to happen? Some twists and turns? A little epilogue? Everybody learns that the hero's journey isn't always a happy one?

Oh, I look forward to reading it.

"He added Tubridy needed a team "to come up with the ideas and keep the show fresh" but said he was "able to carry it"." :eek:

So why the fcuk is he paid €500k+ if it's his team that does the work?

Rubik. wrote: »
    Its in this evenings papers, so I guess he must of. Some randomer apparently kicked him last weekend

That's a warning from the mob/CIA/communists, stop investigating the Kennedy’s.
    He must be getting close to the truth on the Kennedy assassination.

That's a warning from the mob/CIA/communists, stop investigating the Kennedy’s. He must be getting close to the truth on the Kennedy assassination.

lol.. brilliant.. :D

Poly, I have since found out that you are wrong.. it seems that Gardaí have the owner of the I'd love to give Ryan Tubridy a running kick in the balls Facebook page in custody. They are questioning him regarding an incident over the weekend, where somebody tried to give Ryan Tubridy a kick in the balls (while running)... ;)

I've joined this group and the Can David Beckham draw silage for me this summer as he's doing nothing? Facebook groups.. it's been a productive evening..

I tuned in this morning to hear if he would mention it, stuck it ‘till 9.10.
    During his review of the papers he squeezed in another plug for the LLS and another boring Kennedy story about an ashtray, complete with his poxy Boston accent. He’s a broken record.

Thank God for Newstalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

I think he's doing a fine job. Not as puerile as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Crosbie getting more free advertising on RTE for his giant ring this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I can't take to him at all, not on two. Great have to admit on LLS and on one but he's to nerdy (funny) but nerdy. He's not a great listener either. I'll be lisening Mr D'arcy, and not the guy on the telly last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Hey Ryan....uh, how you comin' on that kennedy bio you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big kennedy bio you've been working on for 3 years? Huh? Gotta, gotta compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Gotta story brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? Yea, talking about that 3 years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle, and end? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? At the end your main character is richer from the experience? Yeah? Yeah?

Oh I know it hurts now Ryan, but look at the bright side: you have some new material for that kennedy bio you've been writing. You know...the bio you've been workin' on? You know the the one, uh, you've been workin on for three years? You know the novel. Got somethin' new to write about now. You know? Maybe a, maybe a main character gets into a relationship and suffers a little heartbreak? Somethin' like what... what you've just been through? Draw from real life experience? Little, little heartbreak? You know? Work it into the story? Make the characters a little more three dimensional? Little, uh, richer experience for the reader? Make those second hundred pages really keep the reader guessing what's going to happen? Some twists and turns? A little epilogue? Everybody learns that the hero's journey isn't always a happy one?

Oh, I look forward to reading it.

Harsh, Ash, very harsh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

i gave him a week to give him a chance all he says is
    twitter tweet book twitter tweet book
    he should be a librarian not on the radio the plank part 2:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i gave him a week to give him a chance all he says is
    twitter tweet book twitter tweet book
    he should be a librarian not on the radio the plank part 2:D

He's unbearable to listen to "haw haw twitter, tweet, books, twitter, tweet"
    He cant help himself with this crap.

[SNIP]

[mod edit - personal abuse removed. This is a warning, MJ23. READ the CHARTER please.]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I listened to gerry every day while at work for the full 3 hours. He was a great listener, funny, had great empathy for his callers and could laugh at himself.

I cant take to tubbers at all. I cant put my finger on why as i think its a combination of lots of small reasons but i just cant listen to him. I have since started listening to Pat Kenny and darcy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

books,books,books,bookzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.last week was my first time in ten years switching from the 2fm morning slot.i think darcy will clean up if tubridy keeps up this crap.tubs is too straight for this kind or show.
    colm hayes would suit it much better.
    the death of gerry ryan could be the death of 2fm.

I normally hit the podcast to see what the day's newspaper headlines say... but I dont understand why 2FM let him drone on, giving an opinion piece on behalf of the privileged elite.

The thing about Gerry Ryan was he brought so much of his OWN life in to the show. Every day he would give anecdotes from his own family to empathize with callers... Tubridy, on the other hand, has a policy of not giving ANYTHING of his own life to the show, and balks any time the media/newpapers take even the most benign photos of him. How 2FM ever thought that a dull, safe, private school (self confessed) nerd could ever replace the colourful, controversial, unpredictable, opinionated Gerry Ryan is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭jane wani

as i have alluded to above ..the day i hear or even rcognis some empathy from ryan turrrrrrbidddy...will be a cold day in hell..the guy is too young /old..
    i dont know he sms to inhabit a world of hobbits and political pigmys who he actually admits he looks up to...i cant even imagine what that lovely girl is doing with this bag of sticks...but im sur the salary has a lot to do with it.

all round the guy is a fool at best...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭jane wani

i have had enough...my head has exploded and im picking my eyeballs out of the toilet bowl...i just cant listen to the tubberware man anymore..
    i cant do it,its all too terrible...tryin blubarrdy has become the real life spitting image of himself...i cant ..i shant..no more..listen or look at this bumbling bag of sticks.
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnuff!

dear god that felt good.

who else canT cope anymore??
    its ok come here ..there there ..its ok ..
    you have been "detubbed" congratulations...
    ..fly free..and dont look back...go ....higher ..higher..

Advertisement