Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Cole wrote: »

It's like when I watch The Office or Alan Partridge and a character does something so cringe inducing that I watch the tv through my fingers. Tubridy has become the aural version of this.

I'm going to stop listening to Tubridy.

Should have stopped long ago, but he is now ruining the Alan Partridge Youtube Episodes for me.

I keep thinking 'that's exactly what Tubridy would say' and get distracted from the plot.

Nothing's worth spoiling Partridge, so It's time to switch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Well, a few months ago, I worked out a clever political campaign that could get both him and his brother (Garret, who ran in the elections the last time) elected in Dublin South...

TUBWARD_1.jpg

you sayin he has brother fcuk that Jesus no way rte probably have him lined up for somethin

you forgot to put his book in his hand LOL and his Twitter badge still a good picture trust you to come up with that excellent work though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

im surprised no one has commented on the classic banter this morning with Emma Counihan at the top of the show

he was asking her opinion on Dolly Parton songs and while her replies were ostensibly in relation to the songs, there was real tension in the studio

She was saying how much she didnt like "Islands in the Stream" or whatever, and this isnt word for word but the gist of it was -

Tubs is there "you hate it dont you?",
    Emma "yes, ok, youre right, i do hate it";
    Tubs "why do you hate it?";
    Emma "I dont know, it wrecks my head"

<starts playing Nine to Five>

Emma "Just stop will you"

It just sounded like Dolly wasnt the real subject of her negativity

i heard that but its just tubs all over he played what he wanted at even Emma did not like it nothing new there with him boring old man tubs

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i heard that but its just tubs all over he played what he wanted at even Emma did not like it nothing new there with him boring old man tubs

Didnt you get the impression that when she was saying how much she hated it and how it wrecked her head she was really referring to the cringeworthy banter sessions she has to go through with Ryan every morning?

yeah it was quite evident its the same every day buddy

yeah it was quite evident its the same every day buddy

I know whats he's like chief, I catch the papers round up most mornings.

The dolly parton thing was definitely above and beyond the normal tension level - it was as bad if not worse than the christmas presents episode

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    I know whats he's like chief, I catch the papers round up most mornings.

The dolly parton thing was definitely above and beyond the normal tension level - it was as bad if not worse than the christmas presents episode
    He acts around women like I acted around girls when I was about 13 - thinking you're being teasing and flirtatious when you're just being a knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Emma's not even disguising her boredom at/contempt for Tubs and his ramblings at this point. She turned the 'How was your weekend?' question straight around on him and when he said ‘fine’ she asked for specifics, he said 'I was hanging out with the guys ....... and the girls'! Wow enlightening.

Then of course there was his obligatory account of a trip to the cinema, to which Emma said 'Surprise, surprise', telling him 'You need to get out of the cinema and get a life at the weekend.' His retort? 'I went for a walk'. He seemed to half-heartedly acknowledge that he can be bit boring in all his talk about films.

Next in the 4 or 5 minutes I listened he told us that he watched the match, showcasing his sports knowledge by informing the listeners that we could still win the triple crown.

Anyway in a move which illustrated his inability to either a) tell us something interesting about his life/weekend b) change the record when the cinema stuff was clearly boring Emma and others, he proceeds to give us a painfully long account of a woman who had brought her 18 month old kid to the cinema. It at a non-kids film. Basically it was distracting and annoying and no one did anything about it.

He then started talking to Jedward and I switched off.

Anyway that’s my account, I think it illustrates that he is incapable of having even the most basic two-way exchange with a normal human being.

I almost forgot one hilarious comment from him. He said that the cinema was full of people ‘just like him’ - V-neck jumpers, shirts, coats and scarf (striped scarves he added). I am sure we would have gotten an actual account of the film (the name of which I can’t recall - but it is futuristic with organ harvesting) had it not been for the non-scarf-wearing rogue mother with the pesky kid. Sadly he never told us what he would give the film out of ten, so I guess I will just have to assume a 7.

ps. Isn’t it amazing how much comment can be wrung out of just a few minutes of his show. I have never listened to a full show and have not listened past the first song on more that a handful of occasions!

• Advertisement

lempsipmax wrote: »
    Emma's not even disguising her boredom at/contempt for Tubs and his ramblings at this point. She turned the 'How was your weekend?' question straight around on him and when he said ‘fine’ she asked for specifics, he said 'I was hanging out with the guys ....... and the girls'! Wow enlightening.

Then of course there was his obligatory account of a trip to the cinema, to which Emma said 'Surprise, surprise', telling him 'You need to get out of the cinema and get a life at the weekend.' His retort? 'I went for a walk'. He seemed to half-heartedly acknowledge that he can be bit boring in all his talk about films.

Next in the 4 or 5 minutes I listened he told us that he watched the match, showcasing his sports knowledge by informing the listeners that we could still win the triple crown.

Anyway in a move which illustrated his inability to either a) tell us something interesting about his life/weekend b) change the record when the cinema stuff was clearly boring Emma and others, he proceeds to give us a painfully long account of a woman who had brought her 18 month old kid to the cinema. It at a non-kids film. Basically it was distracting and annoying and no one did anything about it.

He then started talking to Jedward and I switched off.

Anyway that’s my account, I think it illustrates that he is incapable of having even the most basic two-way exchange with a normal human being.

I almost forgot one hilarious comment from him. He said that the cinema was full of people ‘just like him’ - V-neck jumpers, shirts, coats and scarf (striped scarves he added). I am sure we would have gotten an actual account of the film (the name of which I can’t recall - but it is futuristic with organ harvesting) had it not been for the non-scarf-wearing rogue mother with the pesky kid. Sadly he never told us what he would give the film out of ten, so I guess I will just have to assume a 7.

ps. Isn’t it amazing how much comment can be wrung out of just a few minutes of his show. I have never listened to a full show and have not listened past the first song on more that a handful of occasions!

The mask slipped a little when after she accused him of being predictable, he said something like - "maybe I shouldn't bother coming in here at all and they could just play a tape instead?"

There was half a second of dead air, very noticeable and very uncomfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Emma's not even disguising her boredom at/contempt for Tubs and his ramblings at this point. She turned the 'How was your weekend?' question straight around on him and when he said ‘fine’ she asked for specifics, he said 'I was hanging out with the guys ....... and the girls'!

Yeah I heard that Lem. Pointless asking him anything, as you can almost visualise the emotional barrier shooting up..
    Emma: "What did you do, Ryan?" ...
    Tubridy: "eer, emm I spent it with .. eh .."

*searches Big Book Of Ambiguous And Unspecific Terms*

Tubridy: "em.. my two.."

What's that Ryan, your two testicles? You would have a more in depth conversation with somebody on a witness protection program..

Emma has realised that batting the questions back to him is the best way to get him to stop poking his nose in her life.. They should just skip this "Demonstrate Ryan is a real person" section of the show, and move straight on to the papers.. and his reviews of the papers have amounted to him just reading the headlines these days..

I always find it kind of funny that Tubridy tries to align himself with John F Kennedy, when he actually has the social skills of Richard Nixon.. But of course he had "helpful" family connections like JFK, I spose that's the most important thing they had in common..

In short, get rid of the talking to the newsreader bit.. Tubridy isnt prepared to give anything of his life to the show, we KNOW that, and it's pointless listening to him play verbal dodgeball for the first five minutes of every show..

oh and JEdward.. I have to say I thought they were just a couple of idiots when they first came to prominence.. But I've had a turnaround.. You really have to admire their bravery. These guys have come from nowhere to being household names here and in the UK, yet it does seem to bother them.. They appear to be very good to their fans.. I hope they do well in Eurovision, I think they will be hilarious..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

oh and JEdward.. I have to say I thought they were just a couple of idiots when they first came to prominence.. But I've had a turnaround.. You really have to admire their bravery. These guys have come from nowhere to being household names here and in the UK, yet it does seem to bother them.. They appear to be very good to their fans.. I hope they do well in Eurovision, I think they will be hilarious..

I think you're confusing bravery for being a little bit thick. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

The name of which I can’t recall - but it is futuristic with organ harvesting..... Sadly he never told us what he would give the film out of ten, so I guess I will just have to assume a 7.

Thanks to twitter:
    Went to see Never Let Me Go, a very loyal adaptation of a fine book.Not for eveyone but for me, time well spent (6.5/10).Next stop,True Grit

Flashback to Late Late Toy Show:
    Seven year old Chloe from Terenure reviewing Barbies Californian Dune Buggy on the Late Late Toy Show.
    Tubs:(adopts condescening voice) So Chloe, what would you give Barbie (single word delivered in JFK accent) out of 10.
    Chloe: I give it 9.5 out of 10.
    Tubs: (Casts brief knowing glance at the audience, adopts whiny tone) Aw, why did you dock the half point?
    Chloe: The spare tyre on the dune buggy is fake!
    Tubs: *Guffaws* Manages to take sneaky look at watch * Thinks to self - hmm that girl might be onto something with using decimal values in a ten point scoring system, I might do that sometime.

DONT GO TO THE CINEMA IF YOU CANT STAND KIDS
    YOU WER A KID ONCE
    AND IN FACT YOU STILL ARE TUBRIDY
    do you want the whole cinema to yourself?

DONT GO TO THE CINEMA IF YOU CANT STAND KIDS
    YOU WER A KID ONCE
    AND IN FACT YOU STILL ARE TUBRIDY
    do you want the whole cinema to yourself?

Which reminds me. Can anyone answer me the following:

During Christmas they had a special look back on the Late Late Toy Show ('LLTS unwrapped' I think it was called, an excellent programme it has to be said, particularly the Gay Byrne era as childhood memories came flooding back. Even the Pat Kenny parts were great and people are a bit harsh looking back on his tenure I honestly believe)

But anyway, Tubridy suggested that he had tried to get on the Toy Show when he was much younger saying it was every kid's dream, bla bla bla etc...which in fairness it was, at the height of the 1980s.

But I am sure I read somewhere that when he was about 14, he had the job of presenting the books section of the show. Can anyone confirm this please to prove I'm not going mad?? :confused: I am sure I heard this somewhere, even seen a clip of it, but I'm beginning to doubt myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

telekon wrote: »

But I am sure I read somewhere that when he was about 14, he had the job of presenting the books section of the show. Can anyone confirm this please to prove I'm not going mad?? :confused: I am sure I heard this somewhere, even seen a clip of it, but I'm beginning to doubt myself...

I think he reviewed books on the RTE Radio show 'Poporama', don't know if he made to to TV back then.

yeah he did the book reviews maybe he should of just got a job doing that because thats all he talks about

SkidMark wrote: »
    I think he reviewed books on the RTE Radio show 'Poporama', don't know if he made to to TV back then.

yeah he did the book reviews maybe he should of just got a job doing that because thats all he talks about

Getting conflicting stories here lads. My point being, if he DID do the Toy Show book corner, he blatantly lied on the 'unwrapped' show...and I mean blatantly.

For this reason, I think I may have been mistaken for years thinking he had done it before (I still have the image of a clip shown before in my head of him doing it...but as Skidd-y says, this may have been Poporama :confused:)

Basically I'm trying to preserve my own sanity here folks. I couldnt believe when he said he'd never been on the Toy Show! The memory plays tricks I suppose...

• Advertisement

nearly sure it was the late late check out wikipedia think i seen it there

No 'banter' with the newsreader this morning, and Tubridy was joined by Ger Colleran for the review of the papers... I wonder is this to be a permanent fixture..

What a company man.

After the TV3 debate the self described politics junkie said the following morning he managed to catch a whole 15 mins of it

Then this morning he gets Colleram in for the analysis and generally treats the RTE effort last night like it was something significant in the history of television

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    What a company man.

After the TV3 debate the self described politics junkie said the following morning he managed to catch a whole 15 mins of it

Then this morning he gets Colleram in for the analysis and generally treats the RTE effort last night like it was something significant in the history of television

Indeed. Ryan treats RTE like its 'Ewing Oil'...with his granddaddy, former Director General Todd Andrews, playing the role of Jock.

TV3 are the equivalent of those nasty 'West Star' people. "You'll never take my granddaddy's company away from me!"... :rolleyes:

oh and here is the sketch that he was talking about..

Tubridy mentioned it saying that the guys were his first cousins, and that it was "hilarious".. I dont think this is proper balanced broadcasting.. I mean none of the independents has the opportunity ...

- to publicise their candidacy on prime time telly for five minutes..
    - portray themselves being a bit of craic, and the sort of lad you could have a pint with.
    - publicly associate themselves with a TV show that is popular with the young..

two weeks before the election.. I wouldnt have a problem if he'd done this outside of election season, but I think this was just a cynical use of connections.. which is the sort of cronyism that Míchael Martin would have us believe that "new" FF is going to reform..

the JNLR rating are nearly due so is it going to be a similar statement from 2008

By Shane Hickey
    Friday February 15 2008
    RYAN Tubridy stood alone among his high profile RTE colleagues yesterday in losing listeners.

YES YES YES

Indeed. Ryan treats RTE like its 'Ewing Oil'...with his granddaddy, former Director General Todd Andrews, playing the role of Jock.

TV3 are the equivalent of those nasty 'West Star' people. "You'll never take my granddaddy's company away from me!"... :rolleyes:

ref wiki

Tubridy was educated at Blackrock College[20] and University College Dublin, where he studied Arts. He was a member of the Kevin Barry Cumann of Fianna Fáil while in UCD and was active in the UCD Students' Union, as well as the Dún Laoghaire branch of Ógra Fianna Fáil. Two of his first cousins, Barry Andrews and Chris Andrews, currently serve as Fianna Fáil TDs, with the former Minister of State for Children in the coalition government of Brian Cowen. His grandfather, Todd Andrews, was[citation needed] a prominent associate of Fianna Fáil founder Éamon de Valera and held[citation needed] a number of posts in semi-state companies. On the Tubridy side of the family, Ryan is the grandson of TD Seán Tubridy.
    One source[14] says that Tubridy is a nephew of Dorothy (Dot) Tubridy née Lawlor, widow of Captain Michael Tubridy (d.1954).[21] Michael Tubridy was an international showjumper from Moore Street, Kilrush, Co. Clare.[22] Dot Tubridy, an anthropologist, has long enjoyed[citation needed] a reputation as `friend of the Kennedys'.

Getting conflicting stories here lads. My point being, if he DID do the Toy Show book corner, he blatantly lied on the 'unwrapped' show...and I mean blatantly.

For this reason, I think I may have been mistaken for years thinking he had done it before (I still have the image of a clip shown before in my head of him doing it...but as Skidd-y says, this may have been Poporama :confused:)

Basically I'm trying to preserve my own sanity here folks. I couldnt believe when he said he'd never been on the Toy Show! The memory plays tricks I suppose...

ref wiki

Tubridy started in broadcasting at the age of 12, reviewing books for the Radio 2 show Poporama presented by Ruth Buchanan.[23] He earned £25 per show. After leaving college he became a runner in RTÉ, initially working on The Gerry Ryan Show as maker of tea and coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

goose2005 wrote: »
    He acts around women like I acted around girls when I was about 13 - thinking you're being teasing and flirtatious when you're just being a knob.

Funny.. I was thinking of your quote this morning when he was teasing Emma about annoying songs. ;)
    Also i noted that he skipped over the tabloids about the killer that was on yesterdays liveline. Instead he focused on how or why tabloids papers get their name and went indept into that. Now that story about the killer been freed yesterday Gerry would be giving you every bit of info and he would be angry about it, instead Tubridy well... happy wonka land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Anyone hear his little chicken ball analogy!!

Advertisement