Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Are you sure the 25gb is just for a year? I won't use any of that, but it's handy to have. It seemed to imply that people who had signed up for the service prior to today got 25gb storage instead of 7gb because they were there early.

7gb is loads anyways for what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

chrislad wrote: »
    Are you sure the 25gb is just for a year? I won't use any of that, but it's handy to have. It seemed to imply that people who had signed up for the service prior to today got 25gb storage instead of 7gb because they were there early.

7gb is loads anyways for what I want.

Im not entirely sure is it for the whole year. I assume since the extra yearly service is a yearly subscription I think it would make sense that you would keep your 25GB for the year. Though id love to be proven wrong. Im just on around 5GB myself with all my college and work files + photos.

On the other hand my mum is on nearly 7GB she hasn't finished uploading all her photos to SkyDrive cause she ran up all the allowance due to uploading her 1000's of photos.

But for 8 euros extra a year I think its quite affordable storage pricing for those who need extra compared to uploading sites that charge you that per week/month.

Im quite happy with the new app. Even though I don't think Ill be using it that much. The whole reason of me using SkyDrive was that I could access my files on my phone when im out and about without wasting my short SSD space on my desktop or my phone.

Same reason why my mum's doing it, though her reason is more for security in case her laptop decides to go down under considering its around 5 years old (running W8 :D )

Its handy for people who need auto file synchronization across various PC's. I'm pretty happy with opening a link to a document from SkyDrive on IE9 and it will download it off the cloud and when im done it will save it back to the cloud. After that you can actually pin the document to the taskbar and avoid the whole going to the browser thing, but this way I suppose is easier for average folks.

This way it works more like a backup/sync service rather than an online storage. Windows Live Mesh was Okeh before, files would sync across PC's but it wasn't easy getting access to them on the net on a PC that isn't synced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-adds-paid-storage-options-to-its-skydrive-cloud-service/12524

That seems to say that new users get 7gb but existing get upgraded to 25gb if they choose to do so and can add an additional 20gb for a fee. I'd read into that that we keep the 25gb for no cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

chrislad wrote: »
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-adds-paid-storage-options-to-its-skydrive-cloud-service/12524

That seems to say that new users get 7gb but existing get upgraded to 25gb if they choose to do so and can add an additional 20gb for a fee. I'd read into that that we keep the 25gb for no cost.

If you're an existing user you can claim the original 25GB for FREE. Permanently.

I've already done it. Once you sign into SkyDrive you should see a notification showing you how to do it. Its simple.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/skydrive/loyalty

Its amazing, Microsoft have been quite clear on how this is going to work, yet tech blogs everywhere are spinning up speculation and causing confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

DjFlin wrote: »
    If you're an existing user you can claim the original 25GB for FREE. Permanently.

I've already done it. Once you sign into SkyDrive you should see a notification showing you how to do it. Its simple.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/skydrive/loyalty

Its amazing, Microsoft have been quite clear on how this is going to work, yet tech blogs everywhere are spinning up speculation and causing confusion.

Thanks for that link :D I must say that skydrive really is a great service. I was wondering what was going to happen to us existing users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Got my 25GB now. Love my Skydrive. :D

Got my 25GB now. Love my Skydrive. :D

+ i think they increased the max file size to 300 mb last week :)

Ok so finally gave in and ordered a Mugen 1950 mah battery for my Titan.

Since it came back with a new screen from repair it seems to be hogging a bit more battery than I would like it to, or It could be a side effect of getting used to longer battery life while I was using an old HTC Legend for the week.

Either way see how it goes. I dont really like swapping batteries, even though I can easily get a day or more out of it Id like, id like to be a bit more careless in wasting the juice, especially when you get lots of new games to play on your phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Ok so finally gave in and ordered a Mugen 1950 mah battery for my Titan.

Since it came back with a new screen from repair it seems to be hogging a bit more battery than I would like it to, or It could be a side effect of getting used to longer battery life while I was using an old HTC Legend for the week.

Either way see how it goes. I dont really like swapping batteries, even though I can easily get a day or more out of it Id like, id like to be a bit more careless in wasting the juice, especially when you get lots of new games to play on your phone :)

Let us know how you get on, have been thinking about one myself. Most reviews are saying about 15-20% more life in it.

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on, have been thinking about one myself. Most reviews are saying about 15-20% more life in it.

Well that's pretty much all I need. The earliest the phone ever warns me about low battery is around 8 o'clock after disconnecting it from the charger at around 7:30 in the morning. Usually If am at work I can drag out a day and a half and space out 2 charges per 3 days, but when I'm in college I tend to get bored and play with it a lot more :)

I do check my emails and browse the web all the time and about an hour of gaming per day too :) It says delivery will take 10-16 days + the week or two to let the battery wear in so probably wont see a post from me reviewing that for a while :) Couldn't justify spending extra 18 euro's for express shipping ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-17831725

Google offering 5gb free, and up to 16tb... (if I have read it correctly)

gman2k wrote: »

Well their expansion pricing is cheaper. Though its not like I'm going to buy extra storage so my 25GB is fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I think I read that the max file size is 2GB up from 300MB
    gman2k wrote: »

From your link:
    The first 5GB of storage comes free.

After that users can choose to upgrade to 25GB for $2.49 (£1.50) a month, 100GB for $4.99 a month, 1TB for $49.99 or 16TB for $799.99.

Google Drive is targeted at business, not end user.

Either way, it doesn't matter, we're only discussing SkyDrive because its relevant has to Windows Phone, Google Drive is not.

Ok a couple of changes are here for the marketplace.

First.

You wont be able to browse apps in Zune anymore. Thats removed seeing as no one really used it. Main used ones are obviously the phone and the web marketplace. Seems to make sense and adds security to the platform cause so far all the downloadable XAP's been coming from Zune, dev's didn't like that you could pirate apps very easily.

Second

In order to download apps you will have to update to the latest version of Windows Phone available, which is WP7.5 right now :)

Mixed reviews on Zune App Marketplace, I never really used it, Web Marketplace was much faster and more pleasant to use.

Second I think is quite good, obviously their trying to move everyone over to the newer platform in order to reduce the amount of resources needed to support older versions of WP7. I think the changes might hint too that Zune Client will not be our Sync Client once WP8 comes out, they keep slowly taking away features from it, moving it all to the cloud or making new ones. I think the new sync client is probably coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I really liked the Zune marketplace. I didn't even know there was an online version though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

hey guys, im having a few issues here with my LG optimus 7 with mango, and wondering if any of you guys have any ideas as to what the problem is.

I was having problems a few days ago with the email app, and tried to fix it by deleting my email accounts. Did nothing. So I tried a restore true zune to an earlier backup; no luck. So I did a clean factory reset through the phone settings, which fixed it. But now im having worse issues. Whenever I try to load up my picture albums through the app on the phone, it wont load them, and goes back to the main tile page.

The same thing happens when I try to change the wallpaper through settings.

Also, when I try to load the people hub tile, it opens it, but its very laggy, then after a few seconds, it cuts back to the main tile window, like the app has crashed. This happens every single time. I tried doing another factory reset, but same issues. I have no other issues with the phone, everything else works fine. I've never dropped it or damaged it also.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem, or is there a way to do a complete factory reset through zune on a PC? Thanks.

hey guys, im having a few issues here with my LG optimus 7 with mango, and wondering if any of you guys have any ideas as to what the problem is.

I was having problems a few days ago with the email app, and tried to fix it by deleting my email accounts. Did nothing. So I tried a restore true zune to an earlier backup; no luck. So I did a clean factory reset through the phone settings, which fixed it. But now im having worse issues. Whenever I try to load up my picture albums through the app on the phone, it wont load them, and goes back to the main tile page.

The same thing happens when I try to change the wallpaper through settings.

Also, when I try to load the people hub tile, it opens it, but its very laggy, then after a few seconds, it cuts back to the main tile window, like the app has crashed. This happens every single time. I tried doing another factory reset, but same issues. I have no other issues with the phone, everything else works fine. I've never dropped it or damaged it also.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem, or is there a way to do a complete factory reset through zune on a PC? Thanks.

You could try and see if there's any roms available to flash just to make sure its not software corruption. If that doesn't work send it for repair, maybe some faulty chip causing it to act that way

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hey guys, any way i can get abode flash player onto to my HTC Radar WP?
    When i try to watch twitchtv it says i need to install it but when i try to download it im getting a message that its not available for my devices operating system or browser, ive tried another browser and no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Dcully wrote: »
    When i try to watch twitchtv it says i need to install it but when i try to download it im getting a message that its not available for my devices operating system or browser, ive tried another browser and no joy.

Neither WP7 or iOS support flash. Write to the website and ask them to support newer standards like HTML5.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Dcully wrote: »

Have an app on mine called "FlashVideo for WP7" which enables you to watch flash videos through it's own web browser.

Costs €4.99 but worth every penny for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Can windows phone open contacts sent by text? I received a contact and it just comes up in messaging as <<contact name.vcf>> and i cant see the number or open the contact. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Can windows phone open contacts sent by text? I received a contact and it just comes up in messaging as <<contact name.vcf>> and i cant see the number or open the contact. :(

Can you save it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Dub XV wrote: »
    Can you save it?

No, I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,
    Me going for a Titan...
    Still no Windows 7 forum here !???

very iStrange ... i!?

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,
    Me going for a Titan...
    Still no Windows Phone 7 forum here !???

very iStrange ... i!?

Well since the last we asked for it we were told that WP7 posts weren't generating enough traffic due to the fact that all related things were posted in a single thread.

Most people started making new threads and Lumia thread is growing quickly fast too :)

Maybe its time to make a new count? :)

Can anyone post some uncompressed sample photos in daylight and backlight from the Lumia 800?

I was looking at photos from friends and most of them seemed to have a lack of details in them and quite blurry. Extremely bad in in low light. Was just wondering weather it was Facebook compression or the person taking them or the camera. I know the Camera isn't as good as it should be and software fix is coming for that. Its just all the ones I've seen were quite terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭talla

Well since the last we asked for it we were told that WP7 posts weren't generating enough traffic due to the fact that all related things were posted in a single thread.

Most people started making new threads and Lumia thread is growing quickly fast too :)

Maybe its time to make a new count? :)

Can anyone post some uncompressed sample photos in daylight and backlight from the Lumia 800?

I was looking at photos from friends and most of them seemed to have a lack of details in them and quite blurry. Extremely bad in in low light. Was just wondering weather it was Facebook compression or the person taking them or the camera. I know the Camera isn't as good as it should be and software fix is coming for that. Its just all the ones I've seen were quite terrible.
    Camera is very bad on the Lumia 800. I was using it yesterday in Dublin Zoo for the first time. I've had to delete half the photos as they were useless. When using settings on Auto, even with the sun behind me unless I kept the camera as close to parallel with the horizon, all the images came out in a silhouette. Images came out slightly better once i set white balance to shade. Haven't seen pictures that bad in about 5 years from a camera phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1624890

Might interest those with rooted devices :)

I think we had a discussion a while back weather Windows Phone 7.5 supported NFC or not :) Guess this can answer it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hmm...looks like my LG optimus might be dead. Seems to be working except it won't recognise the SIM anymore. Tried the SIM in my other phone and it worked just fine :confused:

Not sure that reinstalling will make much difference. Bit of a bummer really :(

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    hmm...looks like my LG optimus might be dead. Seems to be working except it won't recognise the SIM anymore. Tried the SIM in my other phone and it worked just fine :confused:

Not sure that reinstalling will make much difference. Bit of a bummer really :(

Try getting a replacement sim just to be sure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement