Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

TBi wrote: »
    With good audio?

Yup.

What exactly is the audio issue people have? Is it the speaker, headphones, or the actual jack?

I dont use the headphones that came with the phone, I've a set of snazzy Sony headphones I got a while back, they were fairly top notch when I got them, and the Lumias audio quality seems fine.

I have noticed that the speaker sounds different to my Optimus. I dont know how to describe it. Best example I can give is that the sound the keyboard makes is different. However, my phones on silent almost all day long, and the only time the actual speaker is used, is as an alarm clock, which it does fine.
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    Only problem I had was with the battery only charging up to 970mAh but the update fixed that and its working great now but my friend's Lumia only got the battery problem with the update. :pac:

Yeah, I heard stories of the update causing problems, but only after I updated it myself.

I'm not doubting that people do have issues with theirs, I'm just happy that I dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

DjFlin wrote: »
    What exactly is the audio issue people have? Is it the speaker, headphones, or the actual jack?

Lack of bass. Output has high treble which makes songs sound weird. Some people reported the high frequencies hurt their ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I don't notice a difference, only very occasionally it's as if the sound is slightly less fuller than it should be on some songs. I can play dance and heavy metal without wishing for better speakers, it doesn't have a huge impact. Obviously it will be the deal breaker for some people but I would not write it off for this reason.

Best off playing around one belonging to a friend or something and plug in your headphones and judge it for yourself how much it bothers you, or how much you notice it at all.

Aside from this, personally I don't see another flaw and this one doesn't even bother me anyway. The lack of FFC isn't an issue for me as I wouldn't use skype outside my house and wp7 doesn't actually have skype yet. Tethering isn't something I care about and will eventually be on an update for those who do.

Maybe wait for the 900 to be released? It is roughly the same with a bigger screen and FFC (pretty sure it does) and probably has speakers capable of more bass. Unlikely to be here before Autumn at best however. Get it from amazon.de when it becomes available in europe, waste of time waiting for networks here to eventually get it and then only release it in black. I got my 800 from amazon in pink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Am I right in thinking there is no flash support with wp7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

54kroc wrote: »
    I picked up an Omnia W today, very nice phone and slick os, can I jailbreak it?
    How is it?
    I'm very tempted to pick it up, that or the HTC Radar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Am I right in thinking there is no flash support with wp7?

No. Even if there was it work horribly on mobile devices (Have a look at flash player on android :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

metalfest wrote: »
    How is it?
    I'm very tempted to pick it up, that or the HTC Radar

Very nice phone, great build quality and the super amoled screen is beautiful.
    It's my first phone with WP7 and I have to say coming from iOS and Android it's like a breath of fresh air.
    Trevor451 wrote: »
    No. Even if there was it work horribly on mobile devices (Have a look at flash player on android :o)

I've used flash on my last two Android phones and it worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I picked up an Omnia W today, very nice phone and slick os, can I jailbreak it?

Cant yet, Its a pretty new device and WP7 security is quite really good, the only devices that can be jailbroken are the first generation of windows phones and have custom roms and are open.

Id say 2nd generation will follow later when DFT releases custom ROM's for it.
    Who knows when though.

Theres three stages in Windows Phone to completely unlock your phone, so called "jailbreak" (developers unlock) will only allow ya to side load apps, Interop Unlock is like rooting your phone to access the root memory of the system and completely unlocked with the likes of ROM's from DFT where the system is completely open to modify in any way you want it.

Regarding flash i dont miss it, the only phone that it was quite (but not completely) smooth was the Galaxy S2, on my Sensation it was jerky at times if it had flash running with lots of ads or youtube video.

Either way it wont be a selling point for Android for more than a year. Remember ICS is the last supported version by Flash. After ICS adobe will abandon flash on mobile devices in favor of HTML5.

I do miss the flash the odd time when a video is encoded in flash only. But its a well worth trade off for a buttery smooth browser :)

Just a funny thing I noticed :)

I was in the Xbox live hub and got a message and then the avatar cought a letter and looked at it and threw it away :) its good to see that the xbox live team has a good sense of humor :)

These little unexpected surprises make your phone a little more exiting at times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Have you tried shaking the phone when your avatar is on the screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Shake the phone - watch him/her fall. Keep doing it repeatedly - gets violent ...

Play music - watch him dance.

Harmless fun :)
    Just a funny thing I noticed :)

I was in the Xbox live hub and got a message and then the avatar cought a letter and looked at it and threw it away :) its good to see that the xbox live team has a good sense of humor :)

These little unexpected surprises make your phone a little more exiting at times :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

ozymandius wrote: »
    Shake the phone - watch him/her fall. Keep doing it repeatedly - gets violent ...
    Try it again after that even.

Yeah tried shaking and the music and sliding screen side to side to make him dizzy and fall.

The screen crack is probably my most favorite one :) 2nd one would be when he politely tells me to leave him alone and moves me to the app list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Trevor451 wrote: »

I disagree, flash works fine on any capable Android device and I'd assume it will eventually be supported by WP7.

draffodx wrote: »
    I disagree, flash works fine on any capable Android device and I'd assume it will eventually be supported by WP7.

Adobe have given up on flash for Android, i don't think they'll turn around and only support WP7 from now on.

I personally hate flash, it still crashes Chrome on me. If I had android the first thing i'd do is download chrome and disable any inbuilt flash.

Works on my HTC Trophy! Although i haven't tried making a call yet, let alone a video call. I had to scan the QR code to get the link to it though because it hadn't shown up in marketplace yet.

Adobe have given up on flash for Android, i don't think they'll turn around and only support WP7 from now on.

I personally hate flash, it still crashes Chrome on me. If I had android the first thing i'd do is download chrome and disable any inbuilt flash.

Yes I don't particularly like it either, however it does work well on mobile and is useful.

Yes I don't particularly like it either, however it does work well on mobile and is useful.

Useful if you like your browser crashing! Instant return-to-desktop wuhoo! It's not a bug... it's a feature. It's adobe's way of saying you are surfing too much.

Useful if you like your browser crashing! Instant return-to-desktop wuhoo! It's not a bug... it's a feature. It's adobe's way of saying you are surfing too much.

It's never crashed on me! :p

It's never crashed on me! :p

You're either lying, falsely blaming the browser for a crash or haven't used it enough.

Has IE, Safari, Chrome, Firefox (or any other browser with flash enabled) crashed on you in the past? Did you ever work out the root cause of the crash? Can you show that each crash was, after finding the root cause, totally unrelated to Flash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

The Lumia 610 looks pretty good for a budget Windows Phone. I hope the Nokia Transport works in Ireland?

Two new Nokia apps coming down the line.

One is a bus & rail app called Nokia Transport that will have timetables for over 500 cities. Hopefully it will include Dublin, since the only Dublin Bus app available is useless in some respects.

The second app is Nokia Reading, an eBook app.

http://www.wpcentral.com/hands-nokia-transport-and-reading-video

Its a nice phone. Though as as the investors were disappointed so am I. Id say they could have dropped a few features or something and made it a bit cheaper.

This phone will be competing mainly against likes of Galaxy Mini 2 and Galaxy Ace 2 now now both of those dont really have price points yet. But if the mini goes around 100-150 quid id say it will steal the show away from it. Id like to see a WP7 for around 150 euro after tax and the rest. Drop the camera level, reduce the amount of memory. Samsung can manage it with Android why cant Nokia :S
    One is a bus & rail app called Nokia Transport that will have timetables for over 500 cities. Hopefully it will include Dublin, since the only Dublin Bus app available is useless in some respects.

http://www.wpcentral.com/hands-nokia-transport-and-reading-video]

I wouldnt call it useless. Its the best one we got :D (the only one we got)

Its just a clunky not WP7 like design. Maybe he will revise the UI once enough feedback comes through on reviews. Surely bad reviews will show the dev that the design language is bad and not what users want.

Unless he wants to crash and burn and then abandom the app after a couple of months and make it into a waste of my money app.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

http://www.wpcentral.com/hands-nokia-transport-and-reading-video

use this, way better http://dublinbuslive.com/

You're either lying, falsely blaming the browser for a crash or haven't used it enough.

Has IE, Safari, Chrome, Firefox (or any other browser with flash enabled) crashed on you in the past? Did you ever work out the root cause of the crash? Can you show that each crash was, after finding the root cause, totally unrelated to Flash

Sorry I meant on mobile, but I wouldn't have been using it extensively on mobile, on Windows laptop/desktop firefox has crashed due to flash of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Saw the Lumia 800 in white today. F'n gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Stuck Skype on my Optimus 7 today but beyond making an echo test call I didn't have a chance to try it out properly.

I'm unsure if it is keeping me signed in all the time or signing me back in automatically after connecting to a new wifi network.

Anyone get to test it fully yet?

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    Stuck Skype on my Optimus 7 today but beyond making an echo test call I didn't have a chance to try it out properly.

I'm unsure if it is keeping me signed in all the time or signing me back in automatically after connecting to a new wifi network.

Anyone get to test it fully yet?

I've been using it quite a lot today and the call quality is excellent. The only problem I have with sound is when the other user puts me on speaker phone. If we both speak at the same time I can here myself on his phone.

I've also tried calling other Windows Phones running Skype and the call quality is just as good.

When you leave the app you are signed out so you can only use it when it is running, this is only a beta app at the moment. This is going to be an excellent feature for the Windows Phones once it becomes integrated into the is.

For the moment its a great Skype app to make calls with.

Meh im not too heavily bothered about Skype...Though at least i can finally throw back in Android and iPhone community faces that we got skype too :D

Now we just need Viber, they have been working on the app for a while but apparently their working on some stuff thats taking time to implement on WP7.

I will be more exited when i will see Skype video integrated into the phone system. If they could get all the most popular messaging systems and video and calling apps integrated into the systems I think it would be a huge selling point. A lot of people seem to rely of VOIP and Video call or messaging services in order to reduce their bills.

So saying to a customer well you dont need an app on Windows Phone 7. In order to help you save on your bill most popular messaging services like skype, facebook, viber and etc are integrated so you dont need to mess around with it and down the app or look for it. All you need to do is go into messaging. Click the three little dots, click settings and add an account.

Now that would be something to brag about.

Obviously Microsoft could implement built system way better to allow like a calling screen to pop when some one is trying to call you instead of a plain hard to notice notification like it happens in tango.

• Advertisement

So saying to a customer well you dont need an app on Windows Phone 7. In order to help you save on your bill most popular messaging services like skype, facebook, viber and etc are integrated so you dont need to mess around with it and down the app or look for it. All you need to do is go into messaging. Click the three little dots, click settings and add an account.

I'd love something like that, it would be great if I could add my blueface Voip account to the phone and make calls using blueface instead of the mobile carrier. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement