Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It's pretty early in WP7's life but do MS allow network operators to place bloatware on the OS?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

draffodx wrote: »
    It's pretty early in WP7's life but do MS allow network operators to place bloatware on the OS?
    Nope. I believe they're allowed preload some apps, but only marketplace style apps that you'd have to run yourself like a normal app, and you can uninstall like a normal app. They're not allowed load background services or constantly running apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Dcully wrote: »
    So a week with my new WP im pretty sure ill never go back to andriod or ios phones.

It's good, isn't it? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

It's good, isn't it? :D

Everything is just soooo fast,so slick, easy to get to and just a joy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

What is the battery life like?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What is the battery life like?

Well for me with the HTC Radar its as good as my old HTC Desire if not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Does anyone else just keep Battery Saver on all the time? I do. Not out of necessity. I just keep it on to get the most out of my phone. I play a lot of games and browse 3G, so its usually struggling by around 5pm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I put it on sometimes, I'm not actually sure what it disables to save power or why you can't turn it always on by default. The only difference I notice is longer battery life. Though I don't use any push services, that's probably one of the big things turned off/down by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Meh sometimes. Only when I really need it and I know im gonna have a long boring day :)

So I thought id go around marketplace limitations and download the netflix US app and that might work here. But it wont let me log in :(

Guess ill just have to wait till it actually comes out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Anyone on VF received the disappearing keyboard patch yet? Seems to be taking forever.

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    Anyone on VF received the disappearing keyboard patch yet? Seems to be taking forever.

Nop. It doesnt really happen to me that often. Probably once a day, but for some reason I think since Tango is coming soon that OS patch will be included with Tango, rather than making two updates.

I think I got the keyboard patch on my Optimus 7 a few weeks ago. At least, I got some sort of update, and the keyboard hasnt vanished since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Whats the best windows 7 phone at the moment?
    I was all set on a Nokia till I read the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The screen size is smaller on the Nokia and its speakers do lack bass a bit. It has 16GB space if that's an issue for you and it doesn't have tethering- yet. None of these bother me and I'm still enthralled with mine several weeks later. It is an exceptional phone.

54kroc wrote: »

The Titan is the Flagship in terms of spec (and size [though it might be to big for some people] :D ) Lumia 800 follows just behind.

Then probably the Samsung Omnia W followed by the HTC Radar.

Omnia W and Radar have only 8GB of storage so thats something worth considering depending how much you need for apps, games, music, pics.

Titan and Lumia 800 have 16GB of storage, the 800 has no tethering or front facing camera, but its an awesome phone with a great screen.

Its a shame we don't have the Lumia 900 here yet or the Samsung Focus S. Id pick to of those over my Titan any day.

Mobile World Congress is in a couple of days, but if Nokia announce an international version of 900 it wont be here at least for a couple of months, maybe even longer considering we get everything months after everyone else. Lumia 800 was launched November last year if I remember it right and it launched here in February. So imagine how much longer you would have to wait for the international version of 900 if its coming.

I personally picked the Titan for the build quality (even though the metal case is slippery as hell), 16GB of memory, tethering and I got an unlocked one from CPW so just popped my meteor sim into it :)

I am quite happy with it, but as said 4.7" screen for some might be a little bit over the top. I could never see myself going for something bigger unless they remove the bezel and cut a couple of mm of the top :) my hands are quite big so I just manage to operate with one hand. I can barely text with one hand though hehe. I feel sorry for Galaxy Note owners :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

What is putting you off the Lumia 800? I'm pretty much set on it at the moment. I don't mind the lack of tethering or FFC... are there other concerns?

What is putting you off the Lumia 800? I'm pretty much set on it at the moment. I don't mind the lack of tethering or FFC... are there other concerns?

The lumia 800 thread on here is putting me off, if you are buying it have a look on Amazon.de, it's a good price there.
    I'm off to an 02 shop to get an omnia w, €325 seems like a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

The lumia 800 thread on here is putting me off, if you are buying it have a look on Amazon.de, it's a good price there.
    I'm off to an 02 shop to get an omnia w, €325 seems like a good price.

:confused: Most people on that thread who got the Lumia 800 love it. One person hates it and one other person is changing back to their Nexus because he doesn't like the small screen. Anyway €325 is a pretty good price for the Sumsung Omnia W

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Like the phone, but lack of tethering is an issue. I was long enough waiting for my HD7 to get it.

Any idea when the Lumia is getting it

• Advertisement

AntiVirus wrote: »
    :confused: Most people on that thread who got the Lumia 800 love it. One person hates it and one other person is changing back to their Nexus because he doesn't like the small screen. Anyway €325 is a pretty good price for the Sumsung Omnia W

I've read a few posts by different people on there that put me off but no tethering would really put me off.
    The Lumia 800 is only €379 delivered on Amazon.de, seems like a good price too.

I've read a few posts by different people on there that put me off but no tethering would really put me off.
    The Lumia 800 is only €379 delivered on Amazon.de, seems like a good price too.

Tethering is supposed to be coming with a software update. When who knows...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/04/nokia-promises-tethering-for-lumia-800-points-finger-of-blame-a/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Battery issues? Sound quality issues? Not charging from empty issue?

TBi wrote: »

Battery issues? Sound quality issues? Not charging from empty issue?

I can only say that today. Nokias biggest problem even with wp7 is software, where they can't sort our their hardware to work in harmony with the software.

Though I will say this to everyone who got a Nokia Lumia 800. That's the price you pay for being an early adapter. Every company misses some bugs or some irregularities when launching a new product. I'm sure they are all working their asses off to fix these.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Kind of reminds me of when the iPod came out and the batteries weren't the mae west on them. I bought my phone for E25 from Meteor and it is the one that has lasted me the longest in recent years. However, does anyone know of any competitions to win this phone?

I picked up an Omnia W today, very nice phone and slick os, can I jailbreak it?

I can only say that today. Nokias biggest problem even with wp7 is software, where they can't sort our their hardware to work in harmony with the software.

Though I will say this to everyone who got a Nokia Lumia 800. That's the price you pay for being an early adapter. Every company misses some bugs or some irregularities when launching a new product. I'm sure they are all working their asses off to fix these.

HTC, Samsung and LG didn't have these issues on 1st gen devices. Nokia has had 4 months to fix the issues and a lot of people still have them.

I was really looking forward to the Lumia but i'm put off by these problems. There is no other company offering a WP7 phone i want. My options now are either to stay with my Trophy or buy a 4S.

I must be the luckiest sonofabitch going, because since the update, my Lumia has been working fine.

DjFlin wrote: »
    I must be the luckiest sonofabitch going, because since the update, my Lumia has been working fine.

With good audio?

• Advertisement

DjFlin wrote: »

Only problem I had was with the battery only charging up to 970mAh but the update fixed that and its working great now but my friend's Lumia only got the battery problem with the update. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement