Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Boards.ie/Wheelworxs Race Around Ireland from September 14 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Do yous have ETAs for each leg of the ride? I would love to come along to give some vocal support however I suspect you will be going through my neck of the woods sometime during the first night!

Best of luck to all involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

Best of luck everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

el tel wrote: »
    Do yous have ETAs for each leg of the ride? I would love to come along to give some vocal support however I suspect you will be going through my neck of the woods sometime during the first night!

Best of luck to all involved!
    our team is planning to have the GPS location set up on our site so you'll know when to come cheer us !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Fair play to you all. Best of luck!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

From the race around Ireland website
    Q - What concerns do you have about the Race Around Ireland?

A (Lumen) - I don’t really like riding long distances.
    :D

Good luck to all the riders and crew(sounds like you might need it!)

• Advertisement

Beasty - Thanks a mil for the support :)

I would like to take this opportunity to see if boardsies around the country would like to participate in making the ride a little smoother for the crew and riders.

I have put together a spread sheet with names of Boardsies and location for cake/sambos/fresh water or just warm cheering :) if you would like to help us, please print your name on the spreadsheet and we will contact you to collect your details.

Many thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

We would most definitely appreciate any food dumps we can pick up!

Mine's a hot lasagne ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Best of luck with this!

I'll be on the holiers so won't be able to help with food, but full support from the interwebs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

Beasty - Thanks a mil for the support :)

I would like to take this opportunity to see if boardsies around the country would like to participate in making the ride a little smoother for the crew and riders.

I have put together a spread sheet with names of Boardsies and location for cake/sambos/fresh water or just warm cheering :) if you would like to help us, please print your name on the spreadsheet and we will contact you to collect your details.

Many thanks :)

The marshals like cake too! And sambos! And fresh water coffee!! :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guys

Is there any gear you are particularly short of? I (and possibly other boardsies) have stuff hanging around that you could have as back-up if you need it (there's no point in you buying stuff that you may never need, and I guess the chances are you will need a lot of things "just in case" that could probably be returned completely unused). If it does get used, then it will have served it's purpose, and we could always agree any "wear and tear" adjustments if need be.

• Advertisement

Good Idea Beasty - We need a many good lights and rechargeable batteries as possible. I would also like the loan of a USB internet key access for updates from the Campervan.

We also need a campervan.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Beasty wrote: »
    Guys

Is there any gear you are particularly short of? I (and possibly other boardsies) have stuff hanging around that you could have as back-up if you need it (there's no point in you buying stuff that you may never need, and I guess the chances are you will need a lot of things "just in case" that could probably be returned completely unused). If it does get used, then it will have served it's purpose, and we could always agree any "wear and tear" adjustments if need be.

At the moment we're piecing together everything we have and will then know what we're missing, if anything, if you know what I mean!

I was in Raams last night admiring some bright lights which I think may be yours. Cheers. If there is anything we're short of we'll put the call out, we're not too shy to ask :) You've already contributed massively Beasty which I can assure you is much appreciated by the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Good Idea Beasty - We need a many good lights and rechargeable batteries as possible. I would also like the loan of a USB internet key access for updates from the Campervan.

We also need a campervan.

When I said we are not too shy to ask I meant Caroline is not too shy to ask ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »
    Guys

Fancing lending me a Powertap? :D

I wouldn't mind taking a compact on one bike, and it would nice to have kj/power numbers for the whole effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Fair play to you all and best of luck with it. If you are tempted to leave Navan and go and hide for 60 hours or so, you're welcome to stay at mine :) .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Thread stickified

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    Thread stickified

I'm a bit confused. There are multiple teams in this years RAI with boardsie representation. Is this just a thread for the one team? Seems a bit exclusive.

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. There are multiple teams in this years RAI with boardsie representation. Is this just a thread for the one team? Seems a bit exclusive.
    Given Boards.ie is sponsoring one particular team, we think it only right that you should get some special treatment ...

We are on the lookout for radios at the moment, for communicating with the rider on the road.

We are checking with a few friends who might have some, but if anyone knows somewhere to get a good set, even on loan, at minimal cost, we are all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I have a pair of those short range ones. Not sure what state they're in at the mo but will check later...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Good Idea Beasty - We need a many good lights and rechargeable batteries as possible.
    I've 12 AAA and 6 18650, all rechargeable if they're any use. Also a spare Smart LED/Blackburn 4.0 and Fenix TK11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Radios:
    If using during day and you are going to let the rider head off while you fuel the follow vehicle - remember line of sight, you may not be able to contact the rider. However at night, they are a great tool. I'd say probably the difference between first and second....or one of

Lights:
    Light your rider from above. I spoke to RAAM about this.
    Lights need to have a wide spread, not a focused beam.
    Make sure you remember to recharge MTB lights.
    Make sure you CAN charge MTB lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

And maybe keep an eye on the 'reflective tape' element of this thread

Theft prevention, reflective tape.

Apparently you have to put this stuff all over your nice shiny bike.

100Suns wrote: »
    And maybe keep an eye on the 'reflective tape' element of this thread

Apparently you have to put this stuff all over your nice shiny bike.

Yes we have read the rules too :pac:
    We are hoping the sponsors will hep with some of the smaller bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Yes we have read the rules too :pac:
    We are hoping the sponsors will hep with some of the smaller bits.

Apologies if misinterpreted. My point was that the OP on the thread is looking for a source, as am I, and you may be too.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

100Suns wrote: »
    Apologies if misinterpreted. My point was that the OP on the thread is looking for a source, as am I, and you may be too.;)

Halfords, or any automotive store.

Alternatly nick some traffic cones, peal off the 3M stuff, then double sided sticky tape

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

best of luck lads and fair play to the support crew

Camper van booked. My poor credit card doesn't know what's just hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Hope that's the end of the campervan cost. We had a 100% increase in cost due to damage incurred on the Galway to Clifden road by a very tired driver.

• Advertisement

I will be driving the camper ... I am not allowed to sleep while driving.

In other news I am onto something good ... something amazing ... Cake sponsorship :) I will keep you guys posted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement