Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurgan Bomb

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Google it yourself. Plenty of articles there with results of opinion polls and whatnot. In my personal experience, N.I is turning into a very racist place. It used to be that nobody really minded foreigners because they were too busy hating 'the other side'. Not anymore. Perhaps your mates don't support that stuff, I know plenty of people who do.
    Oh google. Everyones friend. Lets not be so sad to use google to try and prove a point. Do you know how many protestants/unionists live in Northern Ireland?

How many of them do you think support the BNP? Not many. I remember during the time of question time, you had some people supporting the BNP but when you seen the crowd, it was very small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Civil rights is NOT an issue in Northern Ireland anymore. We could all pick and choose things but you have to base things on a general scale. If we used that logic, we would think England is the biggest racist country in Britain with the whole BNP and EDL thing but that isn't the case.

Equality is still an issue in many cases and will continue to be an issue for a considerable time. Although, I'd doubt you would know anything about it - being content, and supported by the status quo as a loyalist.

I see you didn't actually comment on the two valid issues I presented (which are of many) - that demonstrate that equality is still an issue.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Equality is still an issue in many cases and will continue to be an issue for a considerable time. Although, I'd doubt you would know anything about it - being content, and supported by the status quo as a loyalist.

I see you didn't actually comment on the two valid issues I presented (which are of many) - that demonstrate that equality is still an issue.
    I know unionists which been beaten up by nationalists. I think that is an equality problem. But again, i ain't going to judge it on a general scale. I have no more rights than anyone else in Northern Ireland being a unionst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Oh google. Everyones friend. Lets not be so sad to use google to try and prove a point. Do you know how many protestants/unionists live in Northern Ireland?

How many of them do you think support the BNP? Not many. I remember during the time of question time, you had some people supporting the BNP but when you seen the crowd, it was very small.

You were the one who wanted 'facts'. Plenty of them out there, but now let's pretend they're not important, eh? I'm not suggesting that everyone supports them. I'm saying enough do to cause serious problems. I'm saying that many, many people in NI still have this 'us' and 'them' mentality. Understandably.

You were the one who wanted 'facts'. Plenty of them out there, but now let's pretend they're not important, eh? I'm not suggesting that everyone supports them. I'm saying enough do to cause serious problems. I'm saying that many, many people in NI still have this 'us' and 'them' mentality. Understandably.
    You linking that all to one community?

You didn't give me any facts. Opinion polls don't mean a lot, i have never done one in my life. You always hear about opinion polls these days but most are utter nonsense.

• Advertisement

I know unionists which been beaten up by nationalists. I think that is an equality problem. But again, i ain't going to judge it on a general scale. I have no more rights than anyone else in Northern Ireland being a unionst.

No, that is not an equality problem. That is a sectarian problem, propagated by mindless thugs on both sides. It has nothing to do with what I'm discussing.

When we speak of equality, we speak of so at an official level. Members of the PSNI idly sitting by while a young girl and guy are attacked, only to later joke and laugh with the assailants is an equality problem. Forcing a worker to remove an Easter Lily, while previously encouraging workers to wear a Poppy and it then being later rejected by the Equality commission is an equality problem.

There are many instances. That's not to say that things aren't better. But they still need work.

You linking that all to one community?

You didn't give me any facts. Opinion polls don't mean a lot, i have never done one in my life. You always hear about opinion polls these days but most are utter nonsense.

No, I stated that the support for the BNP in Northern Ireland is among Unionists. I don't know exactly what 'facts' you're looking for, if opinion polls and media reports about racist attacks aren't enough. Very few things in life can be backed up by solid facts.

No, that is not an equality problem. That is a sectarian problem, propagated by mindless thugs on both sides. It has nothing to do with what I'm discussing.

When we speak of equality, we speak of so at an official level. Members of the PSNI idly sitting by while a young girl and guy are attacked, only to later joke and laugh with the assailants is an equality problem. Forcing a worker to remove an Easter Lily, while previously encouraging workers to wear a Poppy and it then being later rejected by the Equality commission is an equality problem.

There are many instances. That's not to say that things aren't better. But they still need work.
    Mate, i know stories of people who have been asked to take off the poppy at work because it doesn't suit a certain agenda which i find is a disgrace and a true equality problem.

But we could go on all night about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I don't think it has been mentioned, but in the evening following the attack shots were fired at the PSNI.

Police have come under attack from gunfire and petrol bombs in Lurgan, in the wake of an earlier bomb blast in which three young children were injured.

http://www.u.tv/News/Shots-fired-at-Lurgan-police/1a3610e8-7840-4753-9f15-19d58e0ad1a3

No, I stated that the support for the BNP in Northern Ireland is among Unionists. I don't know exactly what 'facts' you're looking for, if opinion polls and media reports about racist attacks aren't enough. Very few things in life can be backed up by solid facts.
    Which opinion poll is this?

I think its a huge generalization but your entitled to your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I think you'll find that civil liberties are not being respected in a number of areas.

OK, lets go through it.
    One instance, was where a worker wore an Easter Lilly and was forced to removed it. Only a few months earlier, workers in the very same store were encouraged to wear a Poppy for remembrance day. The equality commission wouldn't touch the issue when it was brought to their attention. It's ok for Unionists to pay homage to the sacrifices their soldiers made, but it's not ok for Nationalists.

Did the employers have a policy on not wearing religious or political symbols while at work?

Edit: By the by, the poppy is also worn in the Republic, it doesn't have anything special to do with unionism. I personally have worn it in the past to remember those who have fallen at war. Of course, I never wore it at work though!
    2 years or so ago, a few friends of mine were attacked by loyalists while engaging in a peaceful protest. One of the guys was punched and kicked, and a young girl was pushed and spat on. The PSNI saw the attack, and when they came over - the PSNI chastised my friends for protesting, rather than arresting the loyalists who had attacked my friends. 10 minutes later, the two PSNI officers were seen around the corner laughing and joking with the loyalists who had attacked my friends. One of the lad's fathers was luckily on the DPP - and put forward a complaint.

OK. That's wrong, but even then aren't the PSNI not split between both nationalist and unionist communities, as a force?
    But the above is a common occurrence in the north, as the PSNI is still full to the gills with members of the old RUC, who still have agendas. People are harassed routinely and there is little accountability - given that only 7% of all complaints were actually actioned.

OK - Describe an instance of such harassment and please provide a statistic for 7%.
    Well, it's not an important issue when you grow up in a normal, balanced society. But it's not really an issue of flags - it's an issue of self-determination. Nationalists seek self-determination, Unionists seek to be controlled by Britain. Westminster has over 600 seats, of which nationalist parties only hold 7 seats. Therefore, nationalists would find it very difficult to influence any important legislations that might affect them. And this is the crux of the issue.

I don't see the point of seeking self-determination really in 2010. Ideas such as state possession, nationality and so on aren't really as relevant today?

Although, I'm really the least patriotic guy you could come across.

As for Westminster and their seats, 1) you know full well that SF don't even use their seats and 2) you know that this is an issue in general in the UK for political parties, and 3) you know that the Lib Dems and the Tories are working on plans to change the electoral system.

Where I'm at is, I'll support the free will and democratic choice of the people of Northern Ireland. If they wish to remain with the UK, so be it. I don't see what the problem is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...But we could go on all night about this.

Many sadly could and thats part of the problem.

You know what? I'm tired.
    Tired of this rehashed week in, week out crap that is going on up the North.
    I'm tired of having to suffer fools (from either side) who are refusing to move on.
    I'm tired of the whole god-damn mess and to them I say one thing.

"Please - absolutely piss off and rot away somewhere"
    "Enough you out of date gobschites - not in our name - no fcuking thanks - now sod off!"

Mate, i know stories of people who have been asked to take off the poppy at work because it doesn't suit a certain agenda which i find is a disgrace and a true equality problem.

But we could go on all night about this.

No, that is not anywhere near comparable to what I posted.

Being asked to remove a poppy, is not comparable to someone who has been asked to remove a Lily, while workers in the same established were encouraged to wear a poppy only a few moths prior to the incident, and then for the equality to commission to reject the complaint and take no action on it.

Now, if someone was forced to remove a poppy, while the same store encouraged people to wear a Lily - and then afterwards the equality commission failed to act on it - then we could discuss it.

No, that is not anywhere near comparable to what I posted.

Being asked to remove a poppy, is not comparable to someone who has been asked to remove a Lily, while workers in the same established were encouraged to wear a poppy only a few moths prior to the incident, and then for the equality to commission to reject the complaint and take no action on it.

Now, if someone was forced to remove a poppy, while the same store encouraged people to wear a Lily - and then afterwards the equality commission failed to act on it - then we could discuss it.
    Being asked to remove a poppy because it represents something 'British' in the eyes of this person which is just remembering people who lost their lives, for me that is an equality problem.

People are allowed to be proud to be british. Just an opinion. :)

Biggins wrote: »
    Many sadly could and thats part of the problem.

You know what? I'm tired.
    Tired of this rehashed week in, week out crap that is going on up the North.
    I'm tired of having to suffer fools (from either side) who are refusing to move on.
    I'm tired of the whole god-damn mess and to them I say one thing.

"Please - absolutely piss off and rot away somewhere"
    "Enough you out of date gobschites - not in our name - no fcuking thanks - now sod off!"
    So injustices should just be ignored and swept under the carpet? Should the issues not be addressed?

Although it is time to move on. There is only one place Republicans want to move on to. You know what that is.

Being asked to remove a poppy because it represents something 'British' in the eyes of this person which is just remembering people who lost their lives, for me that is an equality problem.

People are allowed to be proud to be british. Just an opinion. :)

Do you think people should be allowed to wear political symbols at work?

Northern Ireland has the most bigots... well who would of thought. The country has just came out of a 30+ year old war which was very bitter.

Well, that's my bloody point! There are lots of bitter people who just love to hate ANYONE who isn't exactly like them. What are you arguing against?

Jakkass wrote: »
    Do you think people should be allowed to wear political symbols at work?
    If it is allowed on both sides, yes i do. Obviously not something outrageous.

• Advertisement

Well, that's my bloody point! There are lots of bitter people who just love to hate ANYONE who isn't exactly like them. What are you arguing against?
    The BNP claim. Mate, a lot of those links is about race crime. It happens all over Europe and is happening in Britain a lot too. Its wrong but that is the way it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I'm sorry, who has defended this?

*cough*

No one.

*cough*

Im not interested in getting into semantics and equivications thats all.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    So injustices should just be ignored and swept under the carpet? Should the issues not be addressed?

Although it is time to move on. There is only one place Republicans want to move on to. You know what that is.
    Injustices should not be ignored.
    I am tired of the violent fighting.
    I have four young children whom I'd like to grow up on what is a whole beautiful island - in a peaceful atmosphere.
    I want them to grow up in peace and I'd like when my days are over, for them to think of how their previous generation finally did all kop themselves on and shake hands.

...Because you know what? At the closing of the day, we are not owners of this earth, we are just passing tenents and if stupid fools just don't get that straight fact, then we are far better off without them - and any action they claim to be doing "in our name".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Spain to retire off their drug money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Irelands own little apartheid problem. The rest of the world laughs.

If it is allowed on both sides, yes i do. Obviously not something outrageous.

I don't know, because I think you are on your employers time when you are in work. If you wish to advocate causes, it is best done on your own time.

Biggins wrote: »
    Injustices should not be ignored.
    I agree.
    I am tired of the violent fighting.
    Most people are as well.
    I have four young children whom I'd like to grow up on what is a whole beautiful island - in a peaceful atmosphere.
    Thats nice. :) When I have kids I am sure I will want the same for them.
    I want them to grow up in peace and I'd like when my days are over, for them to think of how their previous generation finally did all kop themselves on and shake hands.
    Shake hands on what exactly?

Sorry Jakkass, just caught your post there.
    OK, lets go through it.
    Did the employers have a policy on not wearing religious or political symbols while at work?

Obviously not, considering they encouraged staff to wear a poppy. Let's not lose sight of what happened - Both the Lily & the Poppy are floral symbols, which remember the sacrifices a group of people made in war. The equality commission is there to ensure that all matters relating to a breach of inequality should be investigated and actioned accordingly. This specific instance, the equality commission did not look at - and as such, it is a state infringement upon equality.

It was wrong to disallow a staff member to wear a Lily, while at the same time promote the Poppy. It was a political decision.
    Edit: By the by, the poppy is also worn in the Republic, it doesn't have anything special to do with unionism. I personally have worn it in the past to remember those who have fallen at war. Of course, I never wore it at work though!

That has nothing to do with the point I've just made. It's not an issue of who wore the Poppy, it's an issue of being warned for choosing to wear a Lily.
    OK. That's wrong, but even then aren't the PSNI not split between both nationalist and unionist communities, as a force?

No, they aren't. The majority of the PSNI is still predominately made up of people from a protestant & unionist background. The old RUC (which was riddled with bigots) still makes up a sizable portion of the current PSNI. Therefore, until the old ways that go with these people are gone - poor decisions will continue to be made by the PSNI.
    OK - Describe an instance of such harassment and please provide a statistic for 7%.

The statistic for 7% of all complaints made against the PSNI being actioned comes directly from the Ombudsman's latest report, which can be found online at http://www.policeombudsman.org/

It's to be noted - that a sizable portion of injustices against the nationalist community are not reported as complaints, as many refuse to engage with the PSNI presently. So even the report itself doesn't tell the wider picture.
    I don't see the point of seeking self-determination really in 2010. Ideas such as state possession, nationality and so on aren't really as relevant today?

Sure they are. They are as relevant as they have always been. If you don't see the point of nationalists seeking self-determination, then that displays a severe lack of understanding on your behalf.
    As for Westminster and their seats, 1) you know full well that SF don't even use their seats

For precisely the reason that taking their seats won't afford them any noticeable influence, and further devolution of powers towards Stormont will ensure that they do have influence. Secondly, they do not have a mandate to take their seats, and taking their seats is counter-productive to their aims - which is to seek self-determination. 4 seats out of 600+ does not afford the nationalist community to have any sort of real say in their affairs. It is disingenuous to state otherwise.
    and 2) you know that this is an issue in general in the UK for political parties, and 3) you know that the Lib Dems and the Tories are working on plans to change the electoral system.

No matter what changes are made - the most important issues will be influenced by the largest 3 parties. The framework of the Union itself is not democratic in anyway, shape or form - as it views the Union as a single collective - which is clearly not the case. This is recognised in Scotland where a large surge for independence is growing.
    Where I'm at is, I'll support the free will and democratic choice of the people of Northern Ireland. If they wish to remain with the UK, so be it. I don't see what the problem is.

And that is the current status quo that we've all agreed to. It doesn't mean that nationalists can't aspire to break from the Union, and that supports of Irish unification cannot point out the inherent flaws of a centralized Government trying to govern 4 different states.

...Shake hands on what exactly?

Shake hands and agree to settle differences by only peaceful ways.

Summary article with today's Times - its long but if folk are going to peacefully talk, at least they better know some possible background details:
    Dissidents rise again

Terrorists are uniting to create a revived IRA – and a sinister new threat. Just how many republicans are active — and can they be stopped?

The gang of dissident republicans was being discreetly followed by armed detectives as they travelled by car to a remote area close to the border between north Louth and south Armagh. A tracking device, no larger than a mobile phone, had been fitted to the vehicle days earlier by a surveillance team, enabling officers to monitor the car from a distance.

As the vehicle approached the border on July 10, members of the Emergency Response Unit (ERU), an elite garda unit trained to apprehend armed suspects, were told to stop the car and arrest its occupants. But the driver noticed an unmarked garda car and sped off. Minutes later, the dissidents and gardai crossed the border into Armagh and the ERU came under fire.

As the drama unfolded, the gardai realised their mistake and drove back into the republic. Garda headquarters were informed of the “incursion” shortly afterwards and alerted the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI), which dispatched armed patrols to intercept the gang. But as the search got under way, a bomb exploded at the Carrickrovaddy Road, between Belleek and Cullyhanna, near Newtownhamilton in Armagh.

An improvised landmine capable of blowing up a patrol car had been detonated, leaving a crater in the road and causing minor damage to a bridge. Nobody was injured in the blast, but it forced the PSNI to wind down their hunt for the dissidents. Police patrols searching the area were told to be careful in case the explosion was a “come-on”, designed to lure them into an ambush.

South of the border, the hunt for the gang continued and five men in Co Louth were arrested. But it soon became clear that these may not have been the same men who had been pursued earlier. Two groups of dissidents had been operating in the same area that evening. One had planted the landmine; the second had been chased across the border by the ERU.

Although the shooting incident was denied by Garda headquarters, which did not want to admit to a border incursion, it set alarm bells ringing in Dublin, Belfast and London. That dissident republicans were willing to shoot at armed gardai shocked many in the security services.

Others pointed to the fact that two dissident IRA units operating in the same area at the same time suggests that there are more armed terrorists about than had been imagined. That suspicion has since been compounded after an unprecedented number of attacks against the security forces in Northern Ireland over the past two weeks.

So just how many dissident republican terrorists are active — and how can they be stopped?

THERE are three active paramilitary organisations operating in the island of Ireland.

The Continuity IRA (CIRA) is the smallest. Established in 1986, it murdered PC Stephen Carroll, a 48-year-old Catholic, in Armagh last year. He was the first policeman killed on duty in Northern Ireland for 11 years.

The Real IRA (RIRA) was formed in 1997 by Michael McKevitt.McKevitt was supported by members of the IRA leadership, including Seamus McGrane and Liam Campbell, two hardliners from Louth.

The Real IRA announced its existence in early 1998 and organised a series of car bombings. In August 1998, the Omagh bombing, which killed 29 people, was the single largest loss of life in the Troubles.Forced by the outcry to suspend its terror campaign, the RIRA declared a ceasefire but later re-grouped. Its campaign temporarily ceased when McKevitt, McGrane and Campbell were jailed. It killed two soldiers at Massereene Barracks in Antrim early last year. In 2003, McKevitt and McGrane left RIRA after accusing Campbell of using it to enrich himself. McGrane established a new group, Oglaigh na hEireann (OnH), or Volunteers of Ireland.

OnH has become the most dangerous of the three paramilitary organisations, and has been responsible for most recent bomb attacks. Its membership has been bolstered by gunmen and bomb-makers who have defected from RIRA and CIRA. It is also attracting defectors from the Provos, particularly in mid-Ulster, which is a serious cause of concern to Sinn Fein.

So why are the dissidents growing in strength? The groups’ leaders once competed for the loyalty of a tiny pool of supporters. Fear and distrust meant the factions didn’t co-operate. That has changed.

McGrane’s faction, which poses the greatest threat, is lending its expertise to the CIRA and RIRA. Such is the level of co-operation that many suspect the activities of all three factions are being directed by a “collective leadership”. This would help to explain the nature and geographical spread of the recent car-bomb and booby-trap attacks in Derry, Tyrone and Down.

“They were showing us that they could strike where they wanted and had excellent intelligence on their targets,” said one security source.

Forensic examinations of the devices show that they were built by different bomb-makers, which also suggests several groups are involved, but working together.

To many in the security services, OnH is an enigma. “It is constantly evolving and changing tactics,” said one PSNI detective. Part of its “success” is down to its obsession with internal security. As a result, little is known about the group’s leadership and command structure. Members on “active service” are not permitted to carry mobile phones in case their calls are intercepted or their movements monitored. Cars used in bomb attacks are “acquired” from reliable sources to ensure they haven’t been bugged.

Care is taken to avoid infiltration by the security services. For example, in January 2009, the group attempted to detonate a 300lb bomb at Ballykinler army base in Co Down, but the device was abandoned nearby at Castlewellan village by a driver who thought he was being followed.

After the incident, the group stood down its active service unit, fearing that one of them was an informer, and introduced new measures to ensure that no bomb it made would ever be abandoned without being armed again. Wooden safety pins are now installed in all OnH bombs. Once a device is delivered to its target, the safety pin must be returned to OnH as proof that the bomb was primed, should it fail to explode, a dissident source has revealed.

The three groups no longer buy large quantities of arms in eastern Europe. Instead, they smuggle small amounts of weapons in “dribs and drabs”. As a result, the RIRA and OnH have acquired rocket launchers, sniping rifles and explosives.

The security services believe OnH is operating at least one training camp, but have no idea where it is.

Martin Óg Meehan, a spokesman for the Republican Network for Unity (RNU), an organisation said to share the views of the dissidents, said young republicans were drawn to “OnH and other armed groups” because they offered an alternative to Sinn Fein. “A lot of republicans feel let down by Sinn Fein,” he said. “Nothing much has changed for most working-class communities. It’s obvious that former members of the IRA are giving their help and advice to OnH and other groups.”

IRA defectors are suspected of helping OnH and the RIRA to refine their bomb-making techniques and skills. OnH has designed a portable bomb that it is supplying to the RIRA.

Des Long, a prominent dissident from Limerick city, said there is “obviously” a new level of military expertise among OnH, RIRA and the CIRA. “It really doesn’t matter if the armed groups have no public support. Those who accepted the establishment, both north and south, never accepted the use of violence, but it never stopped the IRA,” said Long.

“I don’t want to see anybody killed, but it’s going to happen. What the recent attacks show is that there are more people in these groups than anybody thinks.”

One contributing factor to the upsurge in political violence is that the three groups share a similar strategy, which is to create a new IRA that will be able to mount a sustained terrorist campaign and attract support from mainstream republicans.

“They are conditioning the public to accept a level of violence,” said a security source. “Attacks are carried out every few weeks in quick succession. They are careful not to kill civilians, which could provoke a major crackdown and cause public odium.

“It started with bomb attacks outside police stations two years ago, which were shows of strength, but it’s escalating and murders are now being planned.”

A contributing factor is the inability of the security services to shut down the groups. In the republic, Fachtna Murphy, the garda commissioner, has been criticised for appointing some officers with little experience of dealing with militant republicans to sensitive anti-terrorism positions.

“These groups were given the breathing space to re-organise in recent years,” said a retired detective. “The warning signs were there, but were ignored or not properly accessed. Garda headquarters until recently described OnH as a micro-group. Now they represent the biggest threat to the security of the state and we’re playing catch-up.” A similar situation exists in the PSNI.

Others believe the Independent Monitoring Commission (IMC), which monitors paramilitary activity, has been unduly playing down the threat. “By constantly playing down the idea that these groups were joining forces, the IMC let the two governments think they were all desperate factions that wouldn’t unite,” said a security source. “Now look what’s happening.”

The British and Irish governments appear to be divided on how to confront the dissident problem. The British believe it requires a political and security response, and is trying to open up discreet discussions with the dissidents to see if negotiations could lead to a ceasefire. The Irish government believes any such talks would be pointless and perhaps counterproductive.

An attack in Britain would change the calculations drastically. Sources in OnH claim the group has sleepers in position to mount attacks.

“The military campaign is up and running. Nobody is going to enter into talks at the moment,” said an OnH source. “We’re going to escalate the campaign as we see fit. Make no doubt about it. We have the gear [weapons]. There is going to be chaos.”

Source: http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/2875/wwwthesundaytimescoukst.jpg

• Advertisement

Shake hands and agree to settle differences by only peaceful ways.

But they would say that there is an inbuilt unionist veto, hence peaceful negotiations wont work and are unfair.

Bit sensationalist that article, especially the quote from a OnH "source"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement