Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurgan Bomb

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Yeah, cos Northern Ireland is just SO valuable to the rest of the UK. :rolleyes: The place is nothing but a drain and a pain in the arse.

They actually had fairly decent economic growth during the Celtic Tiger years and didn't get as badly hit by the collapse as the Republic. Plus they have fairly good infrastructure in place so they'll recover more quickly than the RoI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Yeah, cos Northern Ireland is just SO valuable to the rest of the UK. :rolleyes: The place is nothing but a drain and a pain in the arse.

There's other things to consider. There might be some fear a united Ireland would trigger further enthusiasm for Scottish Independence or complete break up of the union. Which would lead to a less powerful nation and less influence at the likes of G8 talks etc.

So Mickey any chance of that link between republicans and heroin?

I've googled all I'm getting is RIRA killing a heroin dealer.

When there's so much things you can criticize about them I don't see why you need to make sh*t up

So Mickey any chance of that link between republicans and heroin?

I've googled all I'm getting is RIRA killing a heroin dealer.

When there's so much things you can criticize about them I don't see why you need to make sh*t up

If you actually read those articles Gardai turned up replica guns and *tada* drugs when they searched houses and businesses in relation to a RIRA killing earlier this year in Cork. Sounds like someone was pissed of a being left out of the loop or having their profits cut into by a rival.

Also, how does killing some random drug-dealer in Cork help with the United Ireland project?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

There's an inbred hatred born into cetain people in the 6 counties
    But I despise the way they try to invoke the name of Irelands past to justify their evil actions:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

There's an inbred hatred born into cetain people in the 6 counties
    But I despise the way they try to invoke the name of Irelands past to justify their evil actions:mad:

I think 'inbred' is the key word there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

There's not a hope in hell that anyone actually believes that a few explosions at this stage are going to clense an area of the opposing 'tribe'

Some people just want to watch the world burn unfortunately

And even more unfortunate is that during the troubles these people aquired knowledge, contacts and status (thereby instilling fear) and as such are more able to inflict hate upon their area than would have been the case in a 'normal' area

The solution?

I don't know but I presume (and hope!) that these people are in the vast minority and and that the PSNI are capable and informed enough to quash this nonsense within the next couple of years.
    Because come on, who does support these @ssholes? It's not like before when there was some political support, these d*cks have nothing

A lot of 'inbred' comments here and so on and there's no doubt that people in the north have been raised with a lot of issues BUT no matter where you go in the world, the majority of people just want to be happy and safe in their homes with their families and hopefully emergency services both sides of the border can ensure this is the case shortly

A bit of optimism wouldn't go astray here, talk of doom is something we should have left behind us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

It is interesting to note that the majority of people here seem to think it is an attack by RIRA or CIRA. More than likely it was an attack by a loyalist dissident group considering it took place in a nationalist stronghold like Lurgan.

Nevertheless it only cements my belief that there needs to be at least two generations of citizens born in NI after the GFA before we finally see it lose these worthless human beings from its society. This is merely the death throws of the dissident groups, trying to create a stir before they finally cease.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They actually had fairly decent economic growth during the Celtic Tiger years and didn't get as badly hit by the collapse as the Republic. Plus they have fairly good infrastructure in place so they'll recover more quickly than the RoI.

The recovery in NI depends on how much money Westminster throws at them, and David Cameron's a tight-arse.

D-Generate wrote: »
    This is merely the death throws of the dissident groups, trying to create a stir before they finally cease.

I think the relatively recent killing of 2 young British soldiers and the maiming of a PSNI officer in a car bombing is a little more than creating a 'stir'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I think the relatively recent killing of 2 young British soldiers and the maiming of a PSNI officer in a car bombing is a little more than creating a 'stir'.

Very true. However, I hope the citizens of the north, whatever their beliefs or persuasions, are strong enough to say, No, ye will not rag us back to the dark ages with ye and we will stand together and look to the future for the sake of our children.

Those republican dissidents certainly do not represent me as an Irishman or a republican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Mickydoomsux - You still haven't answered my question: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67457786&postcount=69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

SeaFields wrote: »
    Very true. However, I hope the citizens of the north, whatever their beliefs or persuasions, are strong enough to say, No, ye will not rag us back to the dark ages with ye and we will stand together and look to the future for the sake of our children.

Those republican dissidents certainly do not represent me as an Irishman or a republican.

Thankfully the Loyalists haven't done anything in response yet to the IRA activity in the last 2 years. If they eventually do respond in a paramilitary manner, it's only a matter of time before the tit-for-tat killings would start again.

If you actually read those articles Gardai turned up replica guns and *tada* drugs when they searched houses and businesses in relation to a RIRA killing earlier this year in Cork. Sounds like someone was pissed of a being left out of the loop or having their profits cut into by a rival.

I'm genuinely interested. Give me a link
    Also, how does killing some random drug-dealer in Cork help with the United Ireland project?

It doesn't. You've made the mistake of believing I support militant republicans. I don't. I like to deal in the truth. So I'm just pointing out the bolloxology in your posts, that doesn't mean I support the guys planting bombs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

RMD wrote: »
    Thankfully the Loyalists haven't done anything in response yet to the IRA activity in the last 2 years. If they eventually do respond in a paramilitary manner, it's only a matter of time before the tit-for-tat killings would start again.
    It won't happen. It would take something huge to start that again and even then, i don't think it would last long anyway.

These people need to understand that people now just want bread on the table and not blood. The majority of people have moved on to PEACE. These people are just going to have to live in peace.

People here want jobs, money to put food on the table. The war is over and times are slowly changing. Its not perfect but the truth is these bombs will do nothing and no one is going to react to them from the unionist side (which i am from).

They will not get the reaction they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

At least the Provos in general targetted soldiers and the likes - these RIRA don't seem to know what there after and are just putting bombs in general places for the craic nearly - like putting a bomb outside a school packed with children is hardly ever gonna win you sympathisers is it now....

I jsut can't figure out what their fighting for at all at this point - There's several former PIRA in senior government positions - don't these gang of eijits realise that they'll never achieve what the PIRA did because they're trying to start a war again when everyone actually has civil rights etc etc - the PIRA gained public support because the Brits were out shooting and killing Catholics and the Stormont government at the time were pretty much like Hitler and the Jews when it came to Catholic rights at the time - times have changed and the PIRA won as much as they could have ever hoped to win and are now running the country - big change in the political scene between now and the late 60s early 70s....

Now I'm fully for a 32 county Republic but I know like the vast majority of republicans that starting another war isn't going to help at all - especially not after 9/11 - anyone who shoots a soldier today is going to be seen as a terrorist in the world media - back then the IRA got sympathy from some people around the world - today it's going to be a different story so violence and another civil war won't help and will end up loosing any progress we've had so far for the cause...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

D-Generate wrote: »
    ...This is merely the death throws of the dissident groups, trying to create a stir before they finally cease.
    ...And the sooner they cease, the better.
    They are now probably such a small group of people that I'm guessing the authorities know exactly who they are more so than not.

Now they are just an unwanted remnant of a bygone era.
    One of life's skills is knowing when to leave the stage. These outdated fools sadly still don't want to go however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    At least the Provos in general targetted soldiers and the likes - these RIRA don't seem to know what there after and are just putting bombs in general places for the craic nearly - like putting a bomb outside a school packed with children is hardly ever gonna win you sympathisers is it now....

Unfortunately that was not the case. La Mon, Bloody Friday, Claudy, Jean McConville and the disappeared, Manchester, Canary Wharf. The list goes on. There were more people killed by PIRA, including women and children, who were ordinary members of the public than British Army / RUC. If PIRA attacks had been confined to military targets there probably would have been less public appetite for the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Why should people be stopped from a legal parade because someone who doesn't want them to parade does this?
    The parades are a big **** you to the Nationalist communities.
    They generally celebrate past victories over the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

In this day and age is a united Ireland really that important, I mean who really cares? I'm sure a lot don't. I think those who do want it want it because 'we said we'd get it one day'

I mean what's the point really?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

whats the point?

this is one answer from today's independant

Sunday August 15 2010
    Dissident republican group the Real IRA is the largest extortionist gang in the Republic, responsible for murders, attempted murders and pipe bomb attacks, according to senior garda sources.
    The group is believed to be extorting millions of euros from targeting drug dealers -- as well as business people -- in Dublin, the midlands and Cork.
    However, it has unable to establish an extortion operation in Limerick as the drugs gangs there are too ferocious, say gardai -- instead focusing on prostitution, including women trafficked here from eastern Europe.
    In the past two weeks the 'republican' gang has been behind the shooting and injuring of a north Dublin man at a public house in Bettystown, Co Louth, and a grenade attack on the home of head shop owner Jim Bellamy in Killiney, Co Dublin. Two of Mr Bellamy's shops had previous been fire-bombed by the group.
    They were also responsible for the shooting of three innocent men at the Players Lounge in Fairview, Dublin, on Sunday July 25, in which the doorman Wayne Barrett, 31, was left with critical head injuries and two other customers were seriously hurt.
    Gardai are investigating the possibility that the same gang, based in north Dublin, was responsible for murdering one of Dublin's leading gangland figures, Eamon Dunne, at the Fassaugh House pub in Cabra last April.
    The gang is also behind the widespread use of pipe bombs. Last year the Army Ordnance Corps dealt with 61 live bombs and 140 hoax bombs. So far this year they have dealt with 40 live bombs, mostly in Dublin. The dissidents are also selling some of these bombs to gangs including criminal elements within the Travelling community.
    It appears the Real IRA in Dublin has aligned itself with a number of emerging drug gangs in the city which are taking over the trade formerly controlled by Eamon Dunne and his gang. Gardai have known for some time of links between former Provisionals -- now terming themselves Real IRA -- and elements of the gang run by Freddie Thompson. Thompson is residing abroad as he fears arrest under Justice Minister Dermot Ahern's tough new gang laws -- which gardai are also expected to use against the so-called republicans who they view as purely criminal.
    Gardai say the Dublin Real IRA is also heavily involved in the pub and club bouncer business in which owners are forced to accept their members as doormen. These doormen then allow drug dealers in who pay the organisation so that they can operate in the premises.
    In Cork drug dealer Gerard Stanton, 41, was shot dead at his home in Wilton in January because, gardai believe, he refused to pay an extortion demand. Gardai say that another young Dublin man, Darren Guerrine, was shot dead in February 2008 because he refused to pay protection money to the Real IRA. His murder was ordered by the Dublin Real IRA faction from Portlaoise Prison.
    Evidence of how the organisation operates was given in a court case in the Special Criminal Court in July 2007 where a senior garda gave evidence that a young Carlow man had been sent on a mission to demand €10,000 from a local drug dealer and shoot him if he did not pay up. The court heard that the man, Patrick Dermody, had failed to carry out the shooting and that this had angered the local Real IRA leadership. Dermody was sentenced to five years' imprisonment for possession of a bomb and a sawn-off shotgun.
    The 'republican' extortion business has been growing for years with alleged dissidents taking over rackets formerly run by the Provisional IRA in Dublin and elsewhere. The Continuity IRA in Dublin had been working with the gangster Martin Foley in his debt collection business -- however, gardai broke up the Continuity gang which had been providing muscle for Foley's operations. Foley now has no gangland or dissident republican support and is trading on his unmerited media reputation.
    Another element of the Continuity group in the Dundalk and wider border area, run by a Dundalk man in his late 30s, is actively involved with eastern European mafias in the trafficking of young women into the sex trade here.
    He works in tandem with the local Real IRA which runs one of the biggest cigarette smuggling businesses in Europe. This group has long established links with eastern European mafia dating back to the early 1980s when they were still in the Provisional IRA.
    While the dissidents in the Republic are purely criminal the dissidents in the North are a mixture of both criminal and terrorist. Republican sources in Belfast, Derry and in the border area say the dissidents have recruited large numbers of young men, many of them drug users, and are heavily engaged in extorting money from drug dealers. In Belfast the dissidents are also directly involved in the drugs trade.
    Meanwhile, the Northern dissidents continue to step up their terrorism campaign using bombs which security sources say are manufactured by the same people who made the Omagh bomb in August 1996. Among recent under-car bomb attacks was one that could have killed a Catholic PSNI member and her young son in Kilkeel, Co Down.
    Despite claims by Sinn Fein Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness that both the British and Irish governments are involved in talks with the dissidents, senior government sources say this is not the case.
    An approach was made to dissident figures by a trade unionist last year in an attempt to get them to lay down their arms before the February deadline for the Independent International Commission on Decommissioning. The same figure had successfully negotiated the decommissioning of weapons by the Irish National Liberation Army and the Official Republican Movement -- formerly the Official IRA. However, sources close to this process said the dissidents rebuffed the advances.
    Senior security sources say the dissidents remain splintered with no centralised leadership capable of negotiating. Attempts to unify the dissident republican factions ended in failure and acrimony earlier this year.
    - JIM CUSACK
    Sunday Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

In this day and age is a united Ireland really that important, I mean who really cares? I'm sure a lot don't. I think those who do want it want it because 'we said we'd get it one day'

I mean what's the point really?

It's the same as religion really. Who would have thought 20 years ago that numbers going to mass would have dropped off so much as they have? People are now more concerned with their mortgage or their summer holiday or their car.

As long as people have food in their belly and a warm bed for the night, does it matter which set of crooks is governing you or what it says on your passport? The difference between the NI Assembly and the Dail is that the crimes of those in the Assembly have been murder, those in the Dail are all fraudsters. Worth dying for to be led by Biffo and Bertie?

I think political ideology is a thing of the past for the vast majority of people.

I had a quick look at the Bebos of young friends of friends and things like that and most of them have ridiculous 'up the Ra' statements and graphics with 'Brits Out'. These kids are 14-18. Really sad to see. I think the 'cause' just gives all the little sh1theads of Northern Ireland an excuse to act like mindless thugs. I'm sure if there were no political troubles, they'd join street gangs or mug old ladies for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Sindo article = not worth reading. The Sindo, along with these dissidents would like to drag you back 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

Sindo article = not worth reading. The Sindo, along with these dissidents would like to drag you back 30 years.

sindo article is the garda view

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I had a quick look at the Bebos of young friends of friends and things like that and most of them have ridiculous 'up the Ra' statements and graphics with 'Brits Out'. These kids are 14-18. Really sad to see. I think the 'cause' just gives all the little sh1theads of Northern Ireland an excuse to act like mindless thugs. I'm sure if there were no political troubles, they'd join street gangs or mug old ladies for fun.
    I know a guy who is 34 and has pictures of himself in a balaclava, alongside members of the RIRA on his Facebook. He's a complete ****ing tool.
    The funny thing is that his wife is Protestant.

Terry wrote: »
    I know a guy who is 34 and has pictures of himself in a balaclava, alongside members of the RIRA on his Facebook. He's a complete ****ing tool.
    The funny thing is that his wife is Protestant.

Classic! It'd be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic.

Pathetic as fuk. I'd hate to have so little going on my life that I had to attach myself to an outdated and retarded 'war' to give it meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I see the anti north brigade are out in force again on boards. I would like to point out to some people that they should look at their own locations and areas before judging the entire population of N.I. based on the actions of a few mindless thugs.

• Advertisement

I see the anti north brigade are out in force again on boards. I would like to point out to some people that they should look at their own locations and areas before judging the entire population of N.I. based on the actions of a few mindless thugs.

I thought N.I was great until I had to live there. While there are of course some lovely people there, the problem goes far deeper than a few people being thugs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement