Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurgan Bomb

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

moonpurple wrote: »
    sindo article is the garda view

Sindo article is the pre-Home Rule view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I thought N.I was great until I had to live there. While there are of course some lovely people there, the problem goes far deeper than a few people being thugs.

Ah yes. The north isn't like other places. There is no such thing as crime or people killing people in R.o.I:rolleyes: Your view on the entire population of the north is warped and frankly full of flaws. Sorry if you had a bad experience when you lived there, but you are wrong by stating everyone has some sort of agenda and wished the place was dragged back to the dark days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Ah yes. The north isn't like other places. There is no such thing as crime or people killing people in R.o.I:rolleyes: Your view on the entire population of the north is warped and frankly full of flaws. Sorry if you had a bad experience when you lived there, but you are wrong by stating everyone has some sort of agenda and wished the place was dragged back to the dark days.

Look. I'm getting really fed up with people implying that you just 'must not know' a place if you criticise it. I never said everyone has some sort of agenda, I said the place is messed up. Sure, there's crime and violence everywhere, but that's not even the point. It's not even the overt aggression. It's all that 'where did you go to school?' business and other thinly veiled attempts at finding out 'what you are'. It's the mental segregation which still goes on. I went to a friend's boyfriend's house to drop something off to her when I was home a few weeks ago, and her mother wouldn't let me into her house until she had established that I was a) white and b) a Catholic. In 2010! My uncle's wife won't shop in Protestant owned shops, she'd rather drive 20 miles out of her way to get something. There are far, far too many people who think like that for the place to be 'normal' anytime soon. There's no way I'd ever let my kids grow up in that kind of environment. Nowhere is perfect, but I've never lived anywhere else where I constantly felt so uncomfortable and on edge.

And the attacks on foreigners which usually go unreported are absolutely disgusting as well. Just have a quick Google, and you'll come up with pages and pages about how NI is the 'hate capital' of Europe. And that's the reported stuff. There are a LOT of very messed up people around. When I left school in 2003, the white students were still referring to non-white students as 'n*ggers/pakis/gooks' behind their backs. When I go back to NI now, it's like going back into the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sunday Times write up: http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2875/wwwthesundaytimescoukst.jpg
    Children injured in Ulster blast

Three girls were injured yesterday as a bomb exploded without a proper warning in Northern Ireland.

The children, two aged 12 and a two-year-old, were hurt by flying debris when the device exploded in a bin in a residential area of Lurgan, Co Armagh.

The attack was said to be an attempt to target police officers and coincided with an apprentice boys’ parade in Londonderry.

There were several security alerts across Northern Ireland yesterday on the last big day of the summer marching season. Army bomb disposal experts were called upon to deal with a number of suspicious devices — three in Lurgan, one in Londonderry and one in Belfast.

The bomb is yet another incident in an unprecedented rise in attacks by republican extremists in the past month.

Dissidents are also believed to have been responsible for leaving booby-trap bombs under the cars of a soldier, policewoman and civilian police station guard in Bangor, Kilkeel and Cookstown in the past fortnight. While the identity of those involved is not known, the security forces in Northern Ireland have been on increased alert in recent months.

Oglaigh na hEireann (OnH), a terror faction, is said to represent the most serious threat to members of the security forces and has recently drawn up a plan to escalate violence and destabilise Northern Ireland, according to security sources.

MI5, the security service, and the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) remain on high alert. Intelligence suggests the dissidents may attempt to organise a car bomb attack against a high-profile target in the coming days.

The British government, according to intelligence sources, is trying to organise secret talks with the Real IRA (RIRA), the Continuity IRA (CIRA) and OnH, using intermediaries in an attempt to halt the violence, as revealed by The Sunday Times. Sources close to OnH say its leadership would be opposed to any talks with the British or Irish governments, however.

The three children hurt yesterday suffered minor injuries when a device in a bin exploded near a police cordon as the PSNI examined a separate device left inside the gates of the Model primary school, Lurgan.

Officers believe the devices were intended to kill or injure officers attending the scene.

Police also sealed off an area near Kilmaine Street where a third suspect device was found. Train services between Belfast and Lurgan were disrupted by security operations in the north Armagh town. Five homes had to be evacuated in Dunmurry, near Belfast, while army bomb disposal experts carried out a controlled explosion on a suspicious object.

The device was discovered after a warning call was made to police.

Intelligence analysts have likened plans by OnH to a “bogus war”, with sporadic attacks on targets in Ulster to keep the security services on high alert. The plan, drawn up by the organisation, orders dissidents to engage in a bombing campaign against specific military, government and police targets every two months.

It differs from the tactics pursued by the IRA in the 1990s, which sought to mount bomb attacks in Britain and Europe, in that attacks on Britain are not a priority but an aspiration.

The approach also outlines measures that the terrorists believe will prevent the PSNI from providing a full 24-hour service to border villages.

Based on close analysis of recent gun attacks on officers in border areas, the security services also believe dissidents aim to kill a police officer. In one recent incident, a gunman pursued an officer while firing a series of shots.

OnH, which has carried out scores of recent bombings but allowed other groups to claim responsibility, is known to have acquired Mauser sniping rifles, which fire steel core bullets that can be effective from long distances.

It has also imported grenade launchers, plastic explosives and small arms, which it has yet to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

When I left school in 2003, the white students were still referring to non-white students as 'n*ggers/pakis/gooks' behind their backs

No different to Scotland, England or ROI then.

• Advertisement

davrho wrote: »
    No different to Scotland, England or ROI then.

When combined with everything else, I'd dare to say yes, yes it is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

I thought N.I was great until I had to live there. While there are of course some lovely people there, the problem goes far deeper than a few people being thugs.

Really? You thought the place was great until you lived there. I figure most people think the opposite. I had to work in Belfast for a year after finishing college and I thought it was going to be a dump before going. I was pleasantly surprised to find it not to be a bad place at all.
    Personally, I found most young people I worked with were completely ordinary and no more relgious than us down here. Sectarianism seems to be the preserve of the political class, the minority of uneducated f**kwits or those who lived through the last conflict and had specific reasons to hate such and such.
    There are certainly massive political divisions, but after what was effectively a civil war, I think the place is pretty good, considering the major conflict ended within our own life times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

a bomb near a school, a model school? that sounds protestant...

And there aren't any Protestants in the Republic either? :pac:
    these filth are the serbians of ireland, nato should come in and kill these

Personally, I think the filth are the views such as these, that you espouse. They're simply incoherent with reality. Northern Ireland, is probably there to stay for the long term. If they wish to remain independent from the Republic, that is their choice by majority.

Heck, does it really matter all that much as long as people are free to live in a society where their civil liberties are respected?

I can't understand how people get so pent up over abstract notions like flag, country, nationality, etc.

there is no way we can integrate NI into the republic because of these rabid vermin

It appears that the majority do not wish to be integrated either! :pac:

Although many "rabid vermin" already have integrated to the Republic, long ago, in fact they were a part of this country for as long as anyone else was!

Really? You thought the place was great until you lived there. I figure most people think the opposite. I had to work in Belfast for a year after finishing college and I thought it was going to be a dump before going. I was pleasantly surprised to find it not to be a bad place at all.
    Personally, I found most young people I worked with were completely ordinary and no more relgious than us down here. Sectarianism seems to be the preserve of the political class, the minority of uneducated f**kwits or those who lived through the last conflict and had specific reasons to hate such and such.
    There are certainly massive political divisions, but after what was effectively a civil war, I think the place is pretty good, considering the major conflict ended within our own life times.

Yes, I did. I used to go over a lot to visit family and while seeing bombed buildings and murals was a bit unnerving, I saw all the 'good' stuff, the sociable nature of NI people, the laid back attitude, but I didn't pick up the nasty undercurrents until I moved there. It didn't take long to realise that no question was a simple question, there was always an ulterior motive, to find something out. And this was with fellow 12 year olds. Something as innocent as asking what my new baby cousin was called was really an attempt to establish whether I was a Catholic or a Protestant. It wouldn't have been as bad if people had just come out and asked but it was always this underhand stuff. I STILL get asked what my last name is if I go out to a pub where they don't know me. That's just crazy. I agree that things are far better than they were, but unfortunately every time the situation appears to be sorting itself out, something happens to remind us that the problems are still very real. I've never lived anywhere else where weekly bomb threats were just part of life or getting stopped by soldiers on your way to school was the norm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Time to sink Ulster into the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

rovert wrote: »

And not just Northern Ireland?

Ah come on. Cavan people may be stingy bastards, but they don't deserve that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Jakkass wrote: »
    Heck, does it really matter all that much as long as people are free to live in a society where their civil liberties are respected?

I think you'll find that civil liberties are not being respected in a number of areas.

One instance, was where a worker wore an Easter Lilly and was forced to removed it. Only a few months earlier, workers in the very same store were encouraged to wear a Poppy for remembrance day. The equality commission wouldn't touch the issue when it was brought to their attention. It's ok for Unionists to pay homage to the sacrifices their soldiers made, but it's not ok for Nationalists.

2 years or so ago, a few friends of mine were attacked by loyalists while engaging in a peaceful protest. One of the guys was punched and kicked, and a young girl was pushed and spat on. The PSNI saw the attack, and when they came over - the PSNI chastised my friends for protesting, rather than arresting the loyalists who had attacked my friends. 10 minutes later, the two PSNI officers were seen around the corner laughing and joking with the loyalists who had attacked my friends. One of the lad's fathers was luckily on the DPP - and put forward a complaint.

But the above is a common occurrence in the north, as the PSNI is still full to the gills with members of the old RUC, who still have agendas. People are harassed routinely and there is little accountability - given that only 7% of all complaints were actually actioned.
    Jakkass wrote: »
    I can't understand how people get so pent up over abstract notions like flag, country, nationality, etc.

Well, it's not an important issue when you grow up in a normal, balanced society. But it's not really an issue of flags - it's an issue of self-determination. Nationalists seek self-determination, Unionists seek to be controlled by Britain. Westminster has over 600 seats, of which nationalist parties only hold 7 seats. Therefore, nationalists would find it very difficult to influence any important legislations that might affect them. And this is the crux of the issue.

Guilty by association

Where are you from then izzy?

Where are you from then izzy?

I wouldn't really say I was 'from' NI but I lived in several areas, including the lovely South Armagh.

I wouldn't really say I was 'from' NI but I lived in several areas, including the lovely South Armagh.

You didn't answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Looks like we are nearly done here. Closing arguments please.

Quick we need more of the usual RA heads on here to defend this "legitimate militaristic maneuver" and not right out condemn the bombing of children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its sad that a lot of sides can't move on and try and live in peace, for at the end of the day, thats what the vast majority of ALL people want.

To live, to love and to let live.

As it should be.

• Advertisement

Nationalism in 2010 lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

As far as im concerned this thread was ruined the moment nukes came up, claiming NI to be one of the most racist places in Britain and yet you have the EDL and the BNP in England, go figure. Just classless rubbish like that, which adds nothing.

You didn't answer the question.

I'm not 'from' any one place. I have several nationalities, I was born in England, spent the most time in NI but have lived in various other countries including the US, Spain, France, Belgium and Korea for varying lengths of time.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I think you'll find that civil liberties are not being respected in a number of areas.

One instance, was where a worker wore an Easter Lilly and was forced to removed it. Only a few months earlier, workers in the very same store were encouraged to wear a Poppy for remembrance day. The equality commission wouldn't touch the issue when it was brought to their attention. It's ok for Unionists to pay homage to the sacrifices their soldiers made, but it's not ok for Nationalists.

2 years or so ago, a few friends of mine were attacked by loyalists while engaging in a peaceful protest. One of the guys was punched and kicked, and a young girl was pushed and spat on. The PSNI saw the attack, and when they came over - the PSNI chastised my friends for protesting, rather than arresting the loyalists who had attacked my friends. 10 minutes later, the two PSNI officers were seen around the corner laughing and joking with the loyalists who had attacked my friends. One of the lad's fathers was luckily on the DPP - and put forward a complaint.

But the above is a common occurrence in the north, as the PSNI is still full to the gills with members of the old RUC, who still have agendas. People are harassed routinely and there is little accountability - given that only 7% of all complaints were actually actioned.

Well, it's not an important issue when you grow up in a normal, balanced society. But it's not really an issue of flags - it's an issue of self-determination. Nationalists seek self-determination, Unionists seek to be controlled by Britain. Westminster has over 600 seats, of which nationalist parties only hold 7 seats. Therefore, nationalists would find it very difficult to influence any important legislations that might affect them. And this is the crux of the issue.
    Civil rights is NOT an issue in Northern Ireland anymore. We could all pick and choose things but you have to base things on a general scale. If we used that logic, we would think England is the biggest racist country in Britain with the whole BNP and EDL thing but that isn't the case.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    As far as im concerned this thread was ruined the moment nukes came up, claiming NI to be one of the most racist places in Britain and yet you have the EDL and the BNP in England, go figure. Just classless rubbish like that, which adds nothing.

The BNP has massive support among NI Unionists. It's not an exclusively 'English' thing. I think it has everything to do with this topic. The trouble in NI goes beyond just the simple 'religion' thing. A hell of a lot of people just love to hate ANYONE who isn't like them, including gays and foreigners. Racist attacks, which used to be rare, are now extremely commonplace. Have a quick Google to find out a fraction of what goes on.

The BNP has massive support among NI Unionists. It's not an exclusively 'English' thing. I think it has everything to do with this topic. The trouble in NI goes beyond just the simple 'religion' thing. A hell of a lot of people just love to hate ANYONE who isn't like them, including gays and foreigners. Racist attacks, which used to be rare, are now extremely commonplace. Have a quick Google to find out a fraction of what goes on.
    You have no facts to back that up. Everyone i know does not like them and im among unionists.

I'm not 'from' any one place. I have several nationalities, I was born in England, spent the most time in NI but have lived in various other countries including the US, Spain, France, Belgium and Korea for varying lengths of time.

I could pidgeon hole you for being English but unlike you I don't judge an entire population of individuals because of a few mindless thugs.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    You have no facts to back that up. Everyone i know does not like them and im among unionists.

Google it yourself. Plenty of articles there with results of opinion polls and whatnot. In my personal experience, N.I is turning into a very racist place. It used to be that nobody really minded foreigners because they were too busy hating 'the other side'. Not anymore. Perhaps your mates don't support that stuff, I know plenty of people who do.

I could pidgeon hole you for being English but unlike you I don't judge an entire population of individuals because of a few mindless thugs.

Well, why would you do that, given that I said I'd lived in NI for longer than anywhere else? I'm no more English than Northern Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Quick we need more of the usual RA heads on here to defend this "legitimate militaristic maneuver" and not right out condemn the bombing of children.

I'm sorry, who has defended this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement