Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock Infinite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Man, i was replaying bioshock on PC today. I feel old. The game still feels relatively new to me, but Bioshock is 4 years old :(

Having said that, the wlecome to rapture prologue is still amazing, and ****s on anything in BS2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Looking forward to this but personal think bs2 is a better more enjoyable game than bs1 am i the only one? really started to care about eleanor more than anything or one in bs1 and the simple change of being able to use plasmid and weapons made the combat much more fun .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,311 ✭✭✭✭noodler

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Go play Minerva's Den, quite possibly the most underated piece of DLC. It contains one of the best storys I have seen in any game, I got 8+ hours out of it for about 800msp.
    bizmark wrote: »
    Looking forward to this but personal think bs2 is a better more enjoyable game than bs1 am i the only one? really started to care about eleanor more than anything or one in bs1 and the simple change of being able to use plasmid and weapons made the combat much more fun .

Gameplay is defo better in two, theres no moment quite like the on in BS1 but the different story perspective was hugely enjoyable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I thoroughly enjoyed both Bioshocks, but 1 pipped it for me. This however, is looking to potentially beat both of them. I wasn't gone on the idea of the new setting, but that clip makes me want it! As long as the rest of the game lives up to the "first" 15 minutes, i'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

noodler wrote: »
    Gameplay is defo better in two, theres no moment quite like the on in BS1 but the different story perspective was hugely enjoyable in my opinion.

I disagree about no moments like the ones in bs1 personaly speaking anyway the part where elanor
    is smothered to near death while you watched
    had far more of an impact than anything in bs1 including the big twist because i cared about her i really didn't give 2 ****s about my main characters in bs1 i even cared about my bs2 persona after watching the good ending not bad story telling when you consider your a man thing in a diving suit .

They did a far far better job imho in bs2 i dont understand the stick it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I can't remember the last time I was this excited about the world of a game. The American fascism propaganda posters and all have me totally hooked, and the steampunk World's Fair aesthetic is so striking I can't believe nobody's really thought of it before. The effects of the "tears" in the newer video have opened up all sorts of new possibilities that I would never have seen coming, too.

The characters are wonderfully drawn too, even with the little we've seen of them. I'm already worried about Elizabeth and scared of the Songbird, and the dynamic between them is as fascinating as it is f*cked up.

As another poster suggested, I'm pretty sure that I barely care what the gameplay is like at this stage.

I wonder if the scenes with the main character and Elizabeth are actually cutscenes, where you have no control over where the character looks, and it plays out. That would seem a bit more plausible to me.

Either way, it looks absolutely amazing. Hopefully it's not too linear, which really isn't a bad thing as such for some games, and you get to explore the entire area at will.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wonder if the scenes with the main character and Elizabeth are actually cutscenes, where you have no control over where the character looks, and it plays out. That would seem a bit more plausible to me.

Either way, it looks absolutely amazing. Hopefully it's not too linear, which really isn't a bad thing as such for some games, and you get to explore the entire area at will.

They won't be cutscenes, just heavily scripted i'd say. She'll stand in a certain point waiting for you to come near her, after which she will say/do something. And from the looks of the latest trailer (15 minute e3 demo), it looks like you have plenty of room to roam around, but i'd say overall it will be pretty linear. Hard to make a good story game and have it completely free roam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, there was very few cut-scenes in the first game which I found very refreshing. I don't mind scripted stuff as long as I'm free to move around and feel like I'm still playing the game. However, there was loads of cut-scenes in the second game which really annoyed me.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Go play Minerva's Den, quite possibly the most underated piece of DLC. It contains one of the best storys I have seen in any game, I got 8+ hours out of it for about 800msp.

Just finished Minerva's Den (Bioshock 2 DLC) this morning.

Excellent, really well done DLC. Apart from the new characters, recordings, plot etc there are new weapons and plasmids added and even some new enemies.

For 7 euro it was a steal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't play first person shooters but I think i'll have to make an exception for this new Bioshock game. It looks stunning and different than everything else. Except when Skyward Sword comes out lol. Fantastic job; something different but still in the same world; this one's gonna be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I played Bioshock and B2 for the story more than anything else! If the story in this one is half as good as Bioshock1 i'll be a happy happy man.
    Yeah I tried playing it as I would any other FPS - on the hardest setting. Put me off :P I'll have to go again on Normies.

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah I tried playing it as I would any other FPS - on the hardest setting. Put me off :P I'll have to go again on Normies.

Bioshocks are too easy on normal. I played B2 and the DLC on hard recently - the hardets part is taking down your first big daddy but een if you fail - you still get loaded back and the damage you did last time is clocked so it is just a battle of attrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Doing a "harvest" of adam in BS2 on hard mode with all the splicers rushing as the little sister farmed away was certainly a challenge. Getting the freckin acheivement to complete it without taking any damage was tough! I'm really looking forward to Bioshoick Infinite. If they can create a world that matches Rapture in it's uniquenesss that I'm sold!

So, Irrational Games are including a '1999 Mode' in Bioshock Infinite, to make the game more challenging. Great idea as far as i'm concerned. Really looking forward to this, and will definitely be playing it in this mode.
    Kotaku wrote:
    Today's gamers crave choice. Choice in how they progress through a game; choice on how they develop their character. The gamers of 13 years ago needed not these things, which is why Irrational Games is including the punishing 1999 Mode in BioShock Infinite.

In 1999 Irrational Games released System Shock 2, a game that began with the player picking a career specialization and sticking with it. Once in the game proper, decisions players made were set in stone; there was no going back, respeccing, changing things up. Some gamers like it that way.

BioShock Infinite's 1999 Mode is for those gamers.

In 1999 mode players will pick their specialization at the beginning of the game. From there on they'll be committed to a certain set of skills and powers. Decisions are permanent. Skills chosen are permanent. Even death is permanent, If you don't have the resources necessary to be brought back to life, it's game over for you, and with more demanding weapon, health, and power management, players can expect to see that screen on a fairly regular basis. Just like the good old days.

http://kotaku.com/5877468/permanent-consequences-up-bioshock-infinites-difficulty-like-its-1999

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not even going to bother with the other modes, 1999 all the way. Best thing about System Shock 2 was that you couldn't max out all your abilities in the game and had to pick carefully what you wanted to train in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Kiith wrote: »
    So, Irrational Games are including a '1999 Mode' in Bioshock Infinite, to make the game more challenging. Great idea as far as i'm concerned. Really looking forward to this, and will definitely be playing it in this mode.

http://kotaku.com/5877468/permanent-consequences-up-bioshock-infinites-difficulty-like-its-1999

Well, I'm glad the masochist market will be catered to, but more so that it's optional. You could not pay me to play this game, any game, that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm not even going to bother with the other modes, 1999 all the way. Best thing about System Shock 2 was that you couldn't max out all your abilities in the game and had to pick carefully what you wanted to train in.

and it has ruined games for me ever since.

I never pick the flashy impressive ability cause I always ask *how much will I use it?* vs *something reliable and dependable*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah yes, choosing between upping your stats so you can use the big stupid energy rifle you found but has feck all ammo or just upgrading maintenance skills so the pistol doesn't keep breaking right when you need it the most.

A harsh choice but one of the many that made System Shock 2 one of the greatest games ever made :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

oh god not a flipping SS2 PLAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!

at least someone will stop bitching.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

nothing more fun than dying every 5 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

1999 mode has made me go from "not interested" to "definitely buying"...a lesson in there somewhere for developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

A good thing for people who like games like Dark Souls i suppose. Won't be touching it myself.

It's not going to make it insanely difficult, but it will add a more challenging playthrough. If anyone's played System Shock 2, you'll know what it's like.

And if you haven't played System Shock 2.....SHAME!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

If you've found a way to get it working well on windows 7 then I'd gladly play it, freezes as soon as I start it up

I haven't really kept up to speed with this game, actually the only thing I know about it is that crazy gameplay trailer last year which definitely got me interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Harps wrote: »
    If you've found a way to get it working well on windows 7 then I'd gladly play it, freezes as soon as I start it up

I haven't really kept up to speed with this game, actually the only thing I know about it is that crazy gameplay trailer last year which definitely got me interested.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128197

I've tried plenty of things before to no avail but guess I'll give that a shot, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Harps wrote: »
    I've tried plenty of things before to no avail but guess I'll give that a shot, thanks

Everything you need to get the game running can be found here... http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?board=15.0

I'm about 3 hours in, thanks largely to the efforts of this community.

Yeah ended up using that in the end, got it working last night after a lot of effort, followed the instructions word for word but as always something else kept going wrong. Only played the tutorial so far but I never even managed that before without a freeze or crash so so far so good

Too many other games to play through at the moment but I'll try and get it done before Infinite is released

• Advertisement

More info on the 1999 mode. Sounding better and better to me :)
    For the hardcore gamer, 1999 mode could be the best thing that's ever happened. And for the non-hardcore gamers?

"They're gonna hate this mode," said Levine. "That's okay — it's not for them."

For example, Levine outlined how the game might play out for a player that decided to specialize in pistols. They'll be an amazing shot with a revolver, but the decision will severely affect their ability to use other weapons. When their back is to the wall and they've only got one bullet left, they might regret their decision, but it's up to them to make it work.

And if they should die, they'd better have the right components to facilitate resurrection. "Players have gotten so used to dying and getting rezzed that they'll use it as a strategy, running in taking out a few enemies, dying, and coming right back," Levine said. "In 1999 mode if you keep charging your resources to come back, be prepared to load a save game."

http://kotaku.com/5878338/average-gamers-are-going-to-hate-bioshock-infinites-1999-mode

Advertisement