Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Day 2 and, apart from some mild cramping, I'm feeling pretty great!

Thanks to everyone for your support on this thread! I'd never have considered the mirena without your recommendations and support through the Fear 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Could anyone give me a rough price for cerazette? I'm currently on the medical card so it's €2.50 per month, but it will be up next year so just wanted to see roughly how much it'd cost.
    Check with your doctor to see if there is a generic, I know in France there is a generic version of Cerazette that is only a couple of euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I've just been to the doctor and been prescribed microlite for the first time. My doctor said that it should be taken on the first day of my period. My issue is that my period just ended 3 days ago and I have horrendously irregular periods (sometimes up to 50 days apart). I was looking on the nhs website and it says there that it can be taken at any point in your cycle provided additional methods of contraception are used for the first 7 days. I won't be having sex for about 10 days, so is it ok if I just go ahead with taking the pill now?

I really really don't want to have to wait probably 6 weeks to begin taking it!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

WaterLily. wrote: »
    I've just been to the doctor and been prescribed microlite for the first time. My doctor said that it should be taken on the first day of my period. My issue is that my period just ended 3 days ago and I have horrendously irregular periods (sometimes up to 50 days apart). I was looking on the nhs website and it says there that it can be taken at any point in your cycle provided additional methods of contraception are used for the first 7 days. I won't be having sex for about 10 days, so is it ok if I just go ahead with taking the pill now?

I really really don't want to have to wait probably 6 weeks to begin taking it!

Thanks.

We can't give medical advice but read the leaflet in the box - if you're still not sure give your pharmacist a call

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Thanks, I have read the leaflet in the box and it just says to start it on the first day of your period, there is nothing there about the implications of starting it mid cycle. I just don't want to have to wait for what could be 2 months before starting it as much of the advice online seems to say that it is possible to take it mid cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

It is okay to start taking it now, but use additional methods for a week.

• If you have not used a contraceptive with hormones in the previous month
    Begin taking Microlite on the first day of the cycle (that is, the first day of your period). If you start Microlite on this day you are immediately protected against pregnancy. You may also begin on day 2-5 of your cycle, but you must use extra protective measures (for example, a condom) for the first 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭alphatango

Update! Mirena is out, removal was fine, over in a minute with gp. Feeling better already, can see bones in my ankles for first time in years. Delighted to be free!

Jinks removing - I have identical symptoms to yours however my story does not end as well as yours. Neither GP nor Gynae could get mine out, it seems it is embedded in my uterus, I now have to have this evil device removed surgically. I feel so p****d off😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Hi all,

I couldn't find a thread on this already (bar an old one that's been closed) so I hope it's ok to start this here. I am looking to hear others experiences of the mirena coil.

I got mine fitted in April, roughly 8 weeks after having my baby and have had horrible irregular bleeding ever since. Although it is much lighter than my old periods used to be, it comes every 3 weeks or so and lasts for about 10 days and it's just a nightmare! I know they say to give it time to settle down but at this stage I am strongly thinking of just getting it out and going on the pill, as the irregular bleeding is a nightmare! I've also gained weight with it.

Can anyone who has had the coil tell me if they had a similar experience, and how long it took their bleeding to settle down? Also did anyone else have problems with weight gain?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Hi!

The reason you didn't find many threads in your search is that we have one dedicated thread for requests such as yours.

Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Mod

Hi!

The reason you didn't find many threads in your search is that we have one dedicated thread for requests such as yours.

Mars Bar

Could you link me please Mars Bar?

• Advertisement

You're in the thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 didi2206

since Oct 1 2015 an equivalent generic brand of cerazette is avail in irish chemists called "Azalia" .. much cheaper.. same stuff.
    the same pharma company alsi do a cheaper Yasmin & yasminelle .. theirs are called Elvina & Elvinette

• Registered Users Posts: 2 didi2206

p.s they recently added an Ovranette equivalent ( Ovranette was re branded and got very expensive lately) their alternative ovranette is called Ovreena

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi all

I know that when I was taking the oral pill I couldn't take St John's Wort as it interferes with the pill. I was always too afraid to chance Valerian Root for the same reasons.

I've now got the IMPLANON bar in and was wondering if anyone knows if Valerian Root shouldn't be taken if I'm relying on the bar only for contraception. A quick google search shows that St John's Wort CAN affect bar implants, but I can't find anything on Valerian Root. The Valerian Root form I am taking is tea, with 20% Valerian Root

I will be going to my GP and getting proper medical advice and in the meantime I'm not going to drink the tea :) so don't worry I'm not going to chance it and not looking for medical advice, just wondering does anyone know.

Edit: I found this: http://teenclinic.org/about/get-answers/ask-us/i-am-on-the-pill-i-also-taking-valerian-root-for-a-sleep-aid-will-it-affect-how-well-my-birth-control-pills-work/

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I am waaaay overdue a smear. I got the letter months ago, don't know where it is now. The problem is - I know it's silly - but I really don't want to go to my regular GP for it. Can I just contact any GP and ask them to do it? Even though I don't have the letter or anything?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I do recall going to the IFPA in Cathal Brugha St for one in the past, covered under the scheme. Not sure if that's still the case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

If you go onto the website cervicalcheck.ie - enter your PPS & DOB - they will tell you when you are due to have a smear and give you an ID number. There's also a section on the website too with the health centres which provide smears. I think once you bring these details with you, especially the ID number, you should be ok to get the test done elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Hello. Is it normal to have really bad periods on the pill. Is there another contraceptive that would lessen sickness monthly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Hey, what do people think of mooncups?? Did it take you a while to get used to them, I find them nearly impossible to put in and sit comfortably but I really would like to use them considering how environmentally friendly they are. Finding them quite frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I've been using a Mooncup for years and at this stage I don't think I could go back to tampons!

Have you trimmed the stem so that it is nice and round on the bottom? If you're set on using a menstrual cup for environmental issues but the Mooncup doesn't suit you, there's other brands with different characteristics. I find the Mooncup quite stiff, which doesn't bother me, but some other ones are softer/smoother/velvety/etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I struggled with the mooncup as well, but will give it another try. I did love the freedom from having to deal with my period during the day once it was inserted but I found the insertion tricky enough. Environmental benefits are brilliant as well.

Actually I think I'll give it another go on my next one. Will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 limerick21

Hi all,

Just hoping someone can help put my mind at ease a little. I am well overdue my Smear Test but have been putting it off and ignoring the invitation letters for over a year now. I am not one to shy away from any medical procedure but Smear tests are the one thing that's at the very top of my hate list. I'd actually take the dentist over a smear any day. I think I find the whole laying with your legs a kimbo and bits on display very exposing. Yes I know doctors and nurses see vaginas day in day out and probably do at least one smear a day, but that doesn't help ease my anxiety. I know to them that taking a smear is no different to looking up your nose or in your ear.

When I was about 21 I had my very first smear in a family planning clinic, it was no big deal and I was amazed at how quick it was. However on my next two smears, both with different GP's this was not the case. Both times they spent a good twenty minutes routing around with the speculum to find my cervix. Both times they had to do an internal exam to locate my cervix and then go back in with the speculum for another route around (sorry if tmi). I find this amount of time spent on the table and routing around very undignified. I was able to bear the quick first smear I had, which the doctor literally inserted the speculum, opened it, instantly found the cervix, took the smear and out with the speculum, all under a minute. From speaking to my close friends their smears are always this quick too.

I am wondering what other ladies experiences are? Am I the only one who has a long drawn out process when having a smear, or are my friends just trying to pacify me by telling how quick theirs are and mine should be as quick? Any advice from anyone who has a cervix that's difficult to locate? I know I need to get mine done but am dreading another twenty minutes of routing so the doctor can get the sample, however I have my appointment made for mid January so thats the first step. I imagine there could be something the doctor could do to help find the cervix, such as a different position etc. I intend telling the doctor of my last difficulties before she starts.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Where are you based? I had a very difficult first one but when my second one came around my GP in Dublin city centre really put me at ease and it really was one of those one minute jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

limerick21 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just hoping someone can help put my mind at ease a little. I am well overdue my Smear Test but have been putting it off and ignoring the invitation letters for over a year now. I am not one to shy away from any medical procedure but Smear tests are the one thing that's at the very top of my hate list. I'd actually take the dentist over a smear any day. I think I find the whole laying with your legs a kimbo and bits on display very exposing. Yes I know doctors and nurses see vaginas day in day out and probably do at least one smear a day, but that doesn't help ease my anxiety. I know to them that taking a smear is no different to looking up your nose or in your ear.

When I was about 21 I had my very first smear in a family planning clinic, it was no big deal and I was amazed at how quick it was. However on my next two smears, both with different GP's this was not the case. Both times they spent a good twenty minutes routing around with the speculum to find my cervix. Both times they had to do an internal exam to locate my cervix and then go back in with the speculum for another route around (sorry if tmi). I find this amount of time spent on the table and routing around very undignified. I was able to bear the quick first smear I had, which the doctor literally inserted the speculum, opened it, instantly found the cervix, took the smear and out with the speculum, all under a minute. From speaking to my close friends their smears are always this quick too.

I am wondering what other ladies experiences are? Am I the only one who has a long drawn out process when having a smear, or are my friends just trying to pacify me by telling how quick theirs are and mine should be as quick? Any advice from anyone who has a cervix that's difficult to locate? I know I need to get mine done but am dreading another twenty minutes of routing so the doctor can get the sample, however I have my appointment made for mid January so thats the first step. I imagine there could be something the doctor could do to help find the cervix, such as a different position etc. I intend telling the doctor of my last difficulties before she starts.

Thanks in advance.

MOD

Hi OP,

I've moved your thread to the existing thread

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭heavymetalrock

Hi I think about change my pill and looking for some advice or to ask any else have be through the same situation.
    I am on the 12 week injection for the last 6 months and I am find it OK because I'm not getting any period but the thing is my doctor said said I can't stay on it long term because it's not good for my bones. So I was looking up about the coil. One of my problems is that we have to wait for your period to come to put it in but I haven't had a period in the last year. Can I still get it it without waiting because I don't want to get pregnant. Is it sore to get it in?

Mod

Hi heavymetalrock,

I've merged your thread with a more appropriate thread.

Boards does not allow medical advice so getting or not getting the coil is a conversation for you and your doctor only.

As for whether it is sore or not? We will allow other posters to share their experience but remember everybody has a different pain threshold, a different body, different doctors with different techniques etc...

This is ChasingShadows reply from your thread heavymetalrocks
    Hi OP,

I got the coil about a yr ago after having the Implanon implant for three years.
    My periods were absent/irregular due to the implant so doc did a pregnancy test before inserting the coil. I think to ensure you are not pregnant may be the reason they request to insert at a certain time in your cycle.
    It was quite uncomfortable to have put in. It was like deep internal cramping. Most people say it was like a really bad period pain but as I never got bad period pain,I got a bit of a shock! The doc had prescribed pain killers to take the day before but I completely forgot. But upside... It only lasted about half an hour! Bit of discomfort that day but nothing that would warrant painkillers!

Best of luck!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi I think about change my pill and looking for some advice or to ask any else have be through the same situation.
    I am on the 12 week injection for the last 6 months and I am find it OK because I'm not getting any period but the thing is my doctor said said I can't stay on it long term because it's not good for my bones. So I was looking up about the coil. One of my problems is that we have to wait for your period to come to put it in but I haven't had a period in the last year. Can I still get it it without waiting because I don't want to get pregnant. Is it sore to get it in?

I was on depoprovera for over 15 years continuously with three yearly DEXA scans to check my bone density, has you doctor suggested a DEXA scan?

I then had the Mirena put in, and due to fifiteen years of no periods there was to be polite a lack of lubrication in my cervix/uterus, which caused me to almost faint after it was put it, I had to lie down for half an hour, and I was off work with crippling pain for a week.

That's an extreme and due to my being on depo and the associated effects for so long.

Read through this thread, it is more painful for women who have not had children, but there are plenty of different experiences here. Mine is at the extreme end of how painful it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 limerick21

Anyone know if there is a generic for Cerazette? My GP has decided to change me from Microlite to Cerazette, but it's far more expensive. I asked in Boots as I always find them cheapest for the contraceptive pill, they said no generic available, but I've def read somewhere that one was becoming available in Ireland. Also anyone else here moved from combined pill to cerazette, GP assures me that I will most likely have no side efffects, maybe some positive effects of little to non existent periods and improved sex drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

limerick21 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is a generic for Cerazette? My GP has decided to change me from Microlite to Cerazette, but it's far more expensive. I asked in Boots as I always find them cheapest for the contraceptive pill, they said no generic available, but I've def read somewhere that one was becoming available in Ireland. Also anyone else here moved from combined pill to cerazette, GP assures me that I will most likely have no side efffects, maybe some positive effects of little to non existent periods and improved sex drive.

You could just ask your doctor to write "75mg Desogestrel" on your script (pretty sure cerazette is 75mg, can check later). That way if there is a generic, they'll give it to you in the chemist.

How much are they charging you for it? I've found it quite cheap, €11.78 per month.

Side effects I've had from it - no periods. That's it. No decrease in sex drive and no bad moods or spots

Advertisement