Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was about to suggest the mirena coil too, seems the ideal option if you don't want kids, and minimal side effects.

+1 on the mirena for me too
    Faith wrote: »

. She did say that her experience of having it inserted was horrific though :/

Mine was the same, severe pain for a week, so much so I'd to take time off work for three days afterwards.

That was with taking painkillers, and going to a gynae who inserts them all of the time.

However, as I'd been on depo for about 15 years prior that contributed.

It's rare to suffer extreme pain having it inserted, most posts I read on here, and according to my gynae, it's maybe a day of cramps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm definitely leaning towards it. I have health insurance that will cover most of the costs too, so the whole thing shouldn't cost more than about $80.

Has anyone experienced side effects with it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm definitely leaning towards it. I have health insurance that will cover most of the costs too, so the whole thing shouldn't cost more than about $80.

Has anyone experienced side effects with it?

No I used get some cramps at the end of the 12 weeks of a depo cycle, those are now gone.

Since the first week, I've been pretty much grand.

Actually I probably lost a couple of pounds initially but nothing massive maybe 3-4

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Just to add to the mirena experiences. I have had mine for 2.5 years, getting it out asap.

Put on 12lbs within 2 weeks of insertion. Pain on and off, mood swings, totally unpredictable period, no sex drive, sex agony, leg hip and back pain. Awful. Can't wait to get it out!

Not to frighten anyone considering, just wanted to share my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I had the exact same experience with stupid microlite Faith. Spent a few months just using condoms to weigh up the next step, went for copper coil. Have never looked back. Insertion was quite sore - think a very short sharp extreme cramp - and was a bit sore for no more than two days afterwards. I went for it because I was kinda wary of all hormones at that stage and was also kinda weirded out by the thought of potentially not getting any periods with the Mirena.

Since then, my periods are a bit heavier, and about one day longer, but more than manageable. Also a small but noticeable increase in boob tenderness shortly before I get my period. Oh and extra spots on my jawline but I expect that to settle.

I am absolutely not under any circumstances willing to get pregnant at the moment. I love the feeling of security and spontaneity it affords us. I definitely recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Hi does anyone know how much the implanon costs in pharmacies and does it cost less if you have the drug payment scheme?:)

I got it a couple of months ago. It was €144 on the drug payment scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Got Implanon in yesterday. Arm is still tender. Doc was great and while she did show me how to feel for it I'm not sure I'm doing it right now. When she was helping me to feel it yesterday, the area was quite numb so I could kind of feel it but not that much. Now I'm not sure I'm feeling in the right place or if what I'm feeling is the bar at all. I'm a mess! I'm going to pop into her during the week just to get her to go through it with me again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I don't know much about Implanon, just wondering, why do you have to be able to feel for it? Is there a risk it could go astray somehow? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I don't know much about Implanon, just wondering, why do you have to be able to feel for it? Is there a risk it could go astray somehow? :eek:

I think just at the insertion stage, and only if it hasn't been put in properly. But yeah, it can go missing I think. Sure the mirena can come out in a heavy period I believe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I think just at the insertion stage, and only if it hasn't been put in properly. But yeah, it can go missing I think. Sure the mirena can come out in a heavy period I believe!

Ha. No such thing as safe sex ! Eek.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Got Implanon in yesterday. Arm is still tender. Doc was great and while she did show me how to feel for it I'm not sure I'm doing it right now. When she was helping me to feel it yesterday, the area was quite numb so I could kind of feel it but not that much. Now I'm not sure I'm feeling in the right place or if what I'm feeling is the bar at all. I'm a mess! I'm going to pop into her during the week just to get her to go through it with me again.

Honestly, i wouldn't worry til your arm is less tender. I can never feel mine. First one was very close to the skin and i could even see it through the skin. This time round I can rarely feel it.

I went for a consultation yesterday about an IUD at a women's clinic that just does IUD insertions and abortions. They seem super competent, as you'd expect. When I told the doctor that I'm really anxious about it, she immediately soothed me by saying they'll give me really strong painkillers in advance, an anxiolytic and they'll freeze my cervix. And they'll give me more drugs if I need them. So I feel a lot better about it! I have an appointment for the end of next week for the Mirena insertion, and I'll report back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I went for a consultation yesterday about an IUD at a women's clinic that just does IUD insertions and abortions. They seem super competent, as you'd expect. When I told the doctor that I'm really anxious about it, she immediately soothed me by saying they'll give me really strong painkillers in advance, an anxiolytic and they'll freeze my cervix. And they'll give me more drugs if I need them. So I feel a lot better about it! I have an appointment for the end of next week for the Mirena insertion, and I'll report back :)

You'll be grand! I'd definitely recommend taking it easy that night too. Sort yourself with a hot water bottle and some chocolate and you'll be just fine :)

When I got my IUD the GP told me that I might vomit, I might faint, I'd need to bring someone in with me etc. It was painful at the time but I was walking home ten minutes later, not a bother on me :pac:

Thanks Ilyana! I booked it for a Friday afternoon so I can definitely relax without having to worry about work the next day :). Chocolate? Never heard of the stuff :pac:. But I'll see if I can track down a bit on your recommendation ;)

I found I was a bit delicate and needed comfort afterwards but was definitely grand, I actually got it done in the morning and walked back to work for the rest of the day. It was fine.

Good luck with it, I hope all goes well and you won't know yourself once it settles!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Update! Mirena is out, removal was fine, over in a minute with gp. Feeling better already, can see bones in my ankles for first time in years. Delighted to be free!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

I've had mine in about 18 months now. The insertion felt like a very sharp, sudden, severe period cramp. Then it was gone and I felt fine. Until I stood up! The cramping started then. Very mild at first but within 5 minutes my blood pressure dropped. They had me lying down for about 45 minutes as every time I sat up I'd get dizzy again. I do have low blood pressure anyway though to be fair. I got home and spent the night curled up with a hot water bottle. The next day I was a bit tender and it eased off after that. It was very uncomfortable but I'd take that any day over the hassle with taking the pill!

Regarding side effects, I get the occasional spotting. TMI but it's not proper blood, it's that horrible sticky brown rubbish you'd get near the end of your period. That happens maybe once every 2-3 months for a day or two. It's not heavy enough to need a pad or anything. Apart from that I get some weird cramping in my bum cheeks now and then, and the odd time the vaginal wall feels like it's being poked! I'm not sure if they're connected though and it's not painful just strange! I've had a few gynae issues so that might be a cause.

Definitely worth it though, it takes away so much stress when it's in. I was a fright for remembering my pill. I did however notice that losing weight has been more difficult since I had it inserted but I've also gotten 18 months older and the ol metabolism ain't what it used to be. Stuffing my face with food has nothing to do with it :D

On the weight thing; I found that as usual, when I made any bit of an effort to cut down I lost straight away. The coil hasn't made any difference to that.

And of course, NO BABIES. Omg, I am so with the no babies at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

And of course, NO BABIES. Omg, I am so with the no babies at the moment.

Oh god me too. Being pregnant right now would probably be the worst possible timing. It's such a relief not to have to worry about it! Not entirely sure I ever want kids. I think I'm a bit too selfish for it, I'd probably resent the kid for draining my bank account! Maybe in about 10 years when my eggs are half shrivelled and dried up, I'll probably change my mind then!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

I had mirena put in yesterday. It fricking hurt but it was relatively quick. The doctor measured my uterus (ouch!) then gave me a minute to catch my breath before she inserted the IUD. I got quite a sharp pain when she started measuring and I started to cramp immediately.

I felt queasy and a bit dizzy afterwards. The cramps were very intense for about 2 hours afterwards, I could barely move. Since then I have what feels like bad period pains with light bleeding. Painkillers aren't really helping.

Today I feel like I'm getting a UTI so I'm downing lots of water. I love the person who invented the hot water bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I had mirena put in yesterday. It fricking hurt but it was relatively quick. The doctor measured my uterus (ouch!) then gave me a minute to catch my breath before she inserted the IUD. I got quite a sharp pain when she started measuring and I started to cramp immediately.

I felt queasy and a bit dizzy afterwards. The cramps were very intense for about 2 hours afterwards, I could barely move. Since then I have what feels like bad period pains with light bleeding. Painkillers aren't really helping.

Today I feel like I'm getting a UTI so I'm downing lots of water. I love the person who invented the hot water bottle.
    Sounds exactly like my experience, the day of insertion and day after were unpleasant, but I was grand by day 2. Hopefully it'll be the same for you and will settle down very soon.

Just got my mirena in about an hour ago. I was given Percocet (heavy duty painkiller) and Ativan (anti-anxiety benzo) in advance. I was pleasantly floaty but still anxious when I was called in. There were two big cramps - one manageable and one that took my breath away. Like a few of you said, I started cramping immediately and got really hot and irritable. I felt a bit queasy on the drive home (and very irritable) but I'm just going to lie on the couch for the evening and hope for the best. I have the equivalent of neurofen plus here, but I doubt I can take them for another few hours after the Percocet.

I'm extremely relieved it's over! I felt like I was getting ready to do my leaving cert or something this morning!!

Just got my mirena in about an hour ago. I was given Percocet (heavy duty painkiller) and Ativan (anti-anxiety benzo) in advance. I was pleasantly floaty but still anxious when I was called in. There were two big cramps - one manageable and one that took my breath away. Like a few of you said, I started cramping immediately and got really hot and irritable. I felt a bit queasy on the drive home (and very irritable) but I'm just going to lie on the couch for the evening and hope for the best. I have the equivalent of neurofen plus here, but I doubt I can take them for another few hours after the Percocet.

I'm extremely relieved it's over! I felt like I was getting ready to do my leaving cert or something this morning!!

Take care tonight and tomorrow, you should be fine after that.

I wasn't and ended up having to go back for a check up five days later, but had an extreme reaction to it being put in which is very rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Could anyone give me a rough price for cerazette? I'm currently on the medical card so it's €2.50 per month, but it will be up next year so just wanted to see roughly how much it'd cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Could anyone give me a rough price for cerazette? I'm currently on the medical card so it's €2.50 per month, but it will be up next year so just wanted to see roughly how much it'd cost.

Been off work a while so a little rusty but I think it's €12ish. Can be worth shopping around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Faith as a matter of interest, is the perocet standard where you are for Mirena insertion or did they give it to you because you were apprehensive? I've never heard of anything opioid based given for Mirena before!

Gongoozler I can't remember the price offhand but ask your pharmacy and they'll tell you no problem

pampootie wrote: »
    Faith as a matter of interest, is the perocet standard where you are for Mirena insertion or did they give it to you because you were apprehensive? I've never heard of anything opioid based given for Mirena before!

Gongoozler I can't remember the price offhand but ask your pharmacy and they'll tell you no problem

I was given a prescription painkiller to take two hours before I had mine along with other pills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Stheno wrote: »
    I was given a prescription painkiller to take two hours before I had mine along with other pills

Yes prescription anti inflammatories are commonly prescribed beforehand but I've never seen an opioid prescribed, hence my curiosity!

pampootie wrote: »

I don't think they give it to everyone without asking, but I told them during my consultation that I was nervous about the pain so they offered it. I couldn't tell if others were given anything. T3 was initially mentioned (paracetamol and codeine) but it was Percocet on the day. I'm in Vancouver, if it makes any difference. They're much more liberal with medication over here compared to Ireland, it seems to me.

I'm feeling miles better now. I think the actual shock of the insertion had me feeling rubbish, but I mostly stopped cramping about 2 hours after insertion. Fingers crossed it continues this positively!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Gongoozler wrote: »

11.78 is what I usually pay, though Lloyd's Pharmacy charge me 13.33

Advertisement