Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 limerick21

You could just ask your doctor to write "75mg Desogestrel" on your script (pretty sure cerazette is 75mg, can check later). That way if there is a generic, they'll give it to you in the chemist.

How much are they charging you for it? I've found it quite cheap, €11.78 per month.

Side effects I've had from it - no periods. That's it. No decrease in sex drive and no bad moods or spots

Picked up my first 6 months supply today, it was €11.48 pm or €44.68 for 6 months supply in Boots. Microlite used to cost €28 for 6 months supply but due to family history GP has advised against staying on Microlite any longer. I've been on it almost 14 years only breaking for 3 pregnancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

There is a generic, my sister is on it in the uk. I was moved from microlite to Cerazette and got very low, sex drive vanished. Came off in August, still waiting for a period.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I was on cerazette and basically had a constant period for the 3 or so months that I was on it. My moods weren't great either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I was on Cerazette and had an ectopic pregnancy! I know I was very unlucky, but probably wouldn't trust it again.

Other than that, main side effects were weight gain and it didn't help my mood. Oh and I'm off it about a year now, and my periods haven't returned to normal yet, I tend to only have one every few months, whereas they used to be quite regular. Which is a bit worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jennystarbar

Hi i am just wondering does anyone know. I am on the ovranette pill. I just got my next month today. When i opened it just there it reads ovreena. Is this the same pill or did the chemist make a mistake. Be great if someone could help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

I'm on Ovranette but I just looked at mine and it still says Ovranette, I looked at ones I have in packaging still and it says Ovranette. They recently rebranded Ovranette and it's now in a green and white box.

Ovreena is an alternative to Ovranette (or so Google says) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod
    Hi jennystarbar

I've moved your thread to an already existing and relevant thread.

Mars Bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I was on cerazette and basically had a constant period for the 3 or so months that I was on it. My moods weren't great either.

I had the constant bleeding for three months too. Stooped taking it, went back on it about nine months later and boom, no periods thank god.

It doesn't seem to mess with my cycle too terribly though, cause if I miss one, I get a period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I had the constant bleeding for three months too. Stooped taking it, went back on it about nine months later and boom, no periods thank god.

It doesn't seem to mess with my cycle too terribly though, cause if I miss one, I get a period.

That's one thing my doctor warned me about when he prescribed it - that if you stop taking it, or take it at the wrong time, or miss a pill, you can get pregnant pretty much straight away (unlike with the normal non-mini-pill!) I didn't miss any when I got pregnant on it, but I'd a dodgy tummy around that time, vomiting and diahorrea etc. I wouldn't have been devastated if I'd gotten pregnant and had a healthy pregnancy, the ectopic pregnancy really messed me up though, and the reason it was ectopic was probably due to the Cerazette.

So I guess my point is that you need to be SO careful about taking it properly. My then-partner and I were always very lax about contraception, we had a baby already and another wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world, which is why we didn't bother with condoms when my tummy was dodgy. I mean, for most of our relationship, we used no contraception at all! But if I'd known the Cerazette could cause an ectopic pregnancy, I'd definitely have doubled up with condoms if there was any doubt.

Microlite.... urgh! I bled for the entire month, from the first week to now, the "gap" week, and the bleeding has stopped. Ovranette was what I was on, and is apparently gone off the market but I've been prescribed something the same - hoping for a better month! I stopped taking the pill because I couldn't stop crying. At anything and everything. But my PMS was so severe I had to go on the Microlite. Give me the crying any day!

• Advertisement

That's one thing my doctor warned me about when he prescribed it - that if you stop taking it, or take it at the wrong time, or miss a pill, you can get pregnant pretty much straight away (unlike with the normal non-mini-pill!) I didn't miss any when I got pregnant on it, but I'd a dodgy tummy around that time, vomiting and diahorrea etc. I wouldn't have been devastated if I'd gotten pregnant and had a healthy pregnancy, the ectopic pregnancy really messed me up though, and the reason it was ectopic was probably due to the Cerazette.

So I guess my point is that you need to be SO careful about taking it properly. My then-partner and I were always very lax about contraception, we had a baby already and another wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world, which is why we didn't bother with condoms when my tummy was dodgy. I mean, for most of our relationship, we used no contraception at all! But if I'd known the Cerazette could cause an ectopic pregnancy, I'd definitely have doubled up with condoms if there was any doubt.

if I miss a pill, or am sick or anything within 12 hours of taking it, I use a barrier method too.
    Cerazette has a 12 hour grace period too if you're late taking it, but if I'm more than 2 hours late, again I use a barrier method too for a week.

But tbh I think most pills are like that, aren't they? Only with a much smaller grace period for being late taking it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Stopped taking Ovranette about 18 months ago, had been on and off it for about 7 years. When I was on it I never felt my mood was low but when I'd come off it Id feel almost euphoric.

Decided to go back on it but my GP wouldn't give it to me as I'm obese as per my BMI and over 30 and an occasional smoker. She gave me cerazette instead and I'm 3 weeks into my first pack. I've been bleeding for almost 10 days now and over the last three days I've broken out in incredibly painful cystic acne (I can barely remember the last time I had a spot, thankfully my skin is pretty much clear). Will this pass? I would much rather go back to not taking it if this is going to be par for the course :(

Loop Zoop wrote: »
    Stopped taking Ovranette about 18 months ago, had been on and off it for about 7 years. When I was on it I never felt my mood was low but when I'd come off it Id feel almost euphoric.

Decided to go back on it but my GP wouldn't give it to me as I'm obese as per my BMI and over 30 and an occasional smoker. She gave me cerazette instead and I'm 3 weeks into my first pack. I've been bleeding for almost 10 days now and over the last three days I've broken out in incredibly painful cystic acne (I can barely remember the last time I had a spot, thankfully my skin is pretty much clear). Will this pass? I would much rather go back to not taking it if this is going to be par for the course :(

it passed for me in time. as I mentioned previously, I had breakthrough bleeding for a full three months and stopped taking it. When I went back on it, I just stopped getting periods full stop. My sister got breakthrough bleeding too, lasted two months. She didn't come off it like I did, and the bleeding stopped after 2 months, replaced by a very light, regular period each month.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I know that it's a very broad question but what would people recommend as the best type of contraception. I'm going into my doctor next week to discuss but I just wanted to get some ideas before I go into her. I came off Ovranette two months ago due to surgery and haven't been on anything else other than my short, miserable spell in Cezarette.

I know that it's a very broad question but what would people recommend as the best type of contraception. I'm going into my doctor next week to discuss but I just wanted to get some ideas before I go into her. I came off Ovranette two months ago due to surgery and haven't been on anything else other than my short, miserable spell in Cezarette.

My GP pushes the coil every time I go in. I want to be sterilised, but no I have to try the coil first apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Tbh I would definitely recommend the copper coil myself. I'm 24, in a relationship but not yet in a position for kids. I like that I'm not using hormones anymore but there's virtually no chance of getting pregnant in the next three years. The only side effect I have is heavier periods, which are still totally manageable.

I know it's a large expense upfront but the pill would cost more over the three years, and the peace of mind is actually priceless. The insertion isn't terrible for everyone either.

TLDR: the coil is feckin' great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I tend to agree with Ilyana re: copper coil. It's not perfect but it's great. I am in no way, shape or form willing to be pregnant at the moment (if ever) and the peace of mind it provides is brilliant.

I found insertion tough but quick. My periods are actually quite a bit heavier than before I got it - cramps are worse as well - but still manageable, although I might have a chat with the doc about switching to Mirena. I had had a bad old time on Microlite when I went in about the copper coil and just did not want to have any form of hormonal contraception at all. Listening to my friends who have no periods at all with the Mirena is making me wonder about trying it now though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Tbh I would definitely recommend the copper coil myself. I'm 24, in a relationship but not yet in a position for kids. I like that I'm not using hormones anymore but there's virtually no chance of getting pregnant in the next three years. The only side effect I have is heavier periods, which are still totally manageable.

I know it's a large expense upfront but the pill would cost more over the three years, and the peace of mind is actually priceless. The insertion isn't terrible for everyone either.

TLDR: the coil is feckin' great.
    I tend to agree with Ilyana re: copper coil. It's not perfect but it's great. I am in no way, shape or form willing to be pregnant at the moment (if ever) and the peace of mind it provides is brilliant.

I found insertion tough but quick. My periods are actually quite a bit heavier than before I got it - cramps are worse as well - but still manageable, although I might have a chat with the doc about switching to Mirena. I had had a bad old time on Microlite when I went in about the copper coil and just did not want to have any form of hormonal contraception at all. Listening to my friends who have no periods at all with the Mirena is making me wonder about trying it now though.

I've the Mirena, had a horror getting it inserted due to particular medical history but honestly it's brilliant, no periods, no worry well worth the initial expense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

inocybe wrote: »
    My GP pushes the coil every time I go in. I want to be sterilised, but no I have to try the coil first apparently.

It drives me mad that women are still treated like this.

spurious wrote: »
    It drives me mad that women are still treated like this.

Afaik it's standard in Ireland for women who haven't had kids to be refused sterilisation until 29-31, in case they change their mind :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Afaik it's standard in Ireland for women who haven't had kids to be refused sterilisation until 29-31, in case they change their mind :rolleyes:

The min. age is actually higher than that, it's at least 35 if not 40! if you are childless, 30 if you have children

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

And if you're lesbian, you're treated as if it is some sort of phase you will grow out of.
    Sure doesn't everyone want a lovely squishy little babby?

spurious wrote: »
    And if you're lesbian, you're treated as if it is some sort of phase you will grow out of.
    Sure doesn't everyone want a lovely squishy little babby?

Oh I'm straight and was treated like I was a complete weirdo when I checked when I was younger.

Seems they don't discriminate on sexuality if you don't have kids :)

I'm in my 40s, I think it's cost-saving

Stheno wrote: »
    The min. age is actually higher than that, it's at least 35 if not 40! if you are childless, 30 if you have children

Christ, it's that high?!

Wonder if a woman were to pay enough, would a surgeon do it at a younger age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

And it's not just in Ireland, it's equally difficult in many "modern" countries.

Christ, it's that high?!

Wonder if a woman were to pay enough, would a surgeon do it at a younger age?

No, I've asked that. It's not elective surgery in this country.

inocybe wrote: »
    No, I've asked that. It's not elective surgery in this country.

And yet if you wanted two bags of silicone shoved in your chest, you'd probably find someone glad to do it.

So you can't abort if you face accidental pregnancy, and if you want to take the option most likely to reduce or eradicate your chances of accidental pregnancy happening, you can't do that either?

Nice to know my uterus' ability to house a foetus is more important than I am!

• Advertisement

Nice to know my uterus' ability to house a foetus is more important than I am!

You are essentially equal to a clump of 16 cells. Not 'in certain cases' or 'with all due regard', but EQUAL TO.
    Getting rid of the 8th amendment is almost a trick question.

Advertisement