Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanquish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gizmo wrote: »
    Finally got around to playing it there, it's ****ing great. Bayonetta meets Gundamn meets Kratos on crack meets more awesome. Day one purchase for me.

Also Overheal, if you want to know why it's not coming to PC, check out some of the comments on the Steam forum...

At least they're not hating for no reason...:rolleyes:
    wtf cares what people say on the steam forums? l4d boycott much?

PC this. NOW! :mad::P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Kiith wrote: »

wow they scored it higher then the new fallout. thats pretty high expectations attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Are there any known differences between the platforms performance wise etc? I ordered it for PS3 but was playing the 360 demo tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Are there any known differences between the platforms performance wise etc? I ordered it for PS3 but was playing the 360 demo tonight.

I haven't heard yet, but Platinum promised (we swear!) a while back that there should be no discernable differences, at least not at Bayonetta levels.

However, 360 is my console of choice for this for one simple reason: good triggers. Playing shooters on PS3 just feels wrong somehow. The 360 pad, on the other hand, is designed for this sort of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

I wasn't impressed overall with the demo, but I really like the slide mechanic. It's definitely a purchase when the price goes down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

PS3 was lead platform, if that does ya as an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Screen tearing on the 360 version, or so its claimed. Doubt you'd notice much difference at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So I was walking to work after playing Vanquish this afternoon, and the adrenaline was still pumping. I passed a car with booming techno music and I suddenly felt the urge to rocket boost along the ground, melee kick the car, and do a 1080 somersault ten feet into the air.

Platinum, you ****ing rock.

Highlight so far was
    shooting down the driver of a troop transport. The transport then just drove into a nearby wall and exploded :D.

I'm only around an hour in, but Shinji Mikami has reclaimed the shooter. Everything else will just feel a little slow in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

played it for a few hours on freeplay in my local gamecentre...got about 3-4 levels in. Really was loving it but it really was a game I need to put down and take in small chunks cause it drains the senses to an extent that I felt exhausted to continue.

but 2 hours later i'm itching to go back to play for a few more levels. Sadly I opted not to pick it up as I paid deposit on fable 3 instead and I'm not sure if I can afford both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I really, really want this but just can't afford it! :(

Hope it drops in price like Bayonetta did, then maybe I can get myself a copy!

• Advertisement

people keep bumping this thread without any mention of a PC release. what a dissapointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Because platinum games are a console developer :O

Why this game rocks, in five seconds: activate manual ARS (heh, arse) mode, rocket boost towards a robot, melee kick him, somersault into the air, and before you land take down another enemy or two with your heavy machine gun in slow motion.

I'm halfway through the game (taking my time - this isn't a game to be rushed through, because my nerves couldn't take it) and loving every minute. The setpieces like
    the collapsing bridge or the 360 degree transport level
    are just amazing.

Because platinum games are a console developer :O
    this-is-unacceptable.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

easily GOTY for me

Finished it last night on normal: 6 and a half hours was my total, so yeah: short. Even with that I went out of my way to get some of the story based achievements, which probably added an hour or so to that total!

So, yes, if you're looking for longevity I don't know if you'll find it here. But those six hours are some of the purest gaming I've had in some time: a skill based shooter that truly innovates and successfully reowns the third person shooter. Utilising and understanding your abilities in this is vital, and Mikami and Platinum through loads of exciting situations at you, constantly changing your perspective and understanding of how the systems work.

It isn't the out and out success Bayonetta was, and more content would certainly have been welcome. But like Bayonetta, I'm going to jump straight into hard mode, which I rarely if ever do, because the combat system demands mastery. I also admire that Platinum have removed all the extraneous stuff like puzzles and platforming to create a more rewarding experience overall. All you do in this game is fight and occasionally press x to open doors and RB to pick up weapons.

It may be six hours long, but a finely tuned six hours. It has only been surpassed this year by Platinum's other game. Like Resi 4, Mikami has provided a stale genre with the jolt it needed. And he has created one of the most entertaining games in years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apparently the game doesn't count the time for sections where you died. Eurogamer did an article and filmed the whole game and it came to over 8 hours of footage despite the game clock have a much smaller time.

Playing through the challenges at the moment. Really well done, perhaps even better than the single player.
    Pity the ranking system is as bad as bayonetta, riddled with bugs, slow to load and even slower to update (if it updates at all).

Out of interest, did anyone buy the limited edition with the sam gideon figure? Interested to know what the quality is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

AWESOME game. since my FPS/TPS s*ck big time with console controllers( i wont try hard or
    GODHANDHARD
    in Vanquish, lack of skill QQ), i really want a PC port!! sega go publish a pc port pleaseeee!!!

the visual is very impressive on my 40'' lcd:D. i was awed!!!who knows Platinum can delivered such a stunning stunning shooter game!!

the melee attack system can be improved imo, i'd really love to do some punch and run actions. and other than that i really wont hesitate to call this game a 9/10 (there is no flawless game:P). i spent 2 days to finish it(about 3-4hours each day), about the same amount of time to finish most of my games anyway, so i really dont think the length of it is an issue. the last 2 chapters are some obvious rush work but i remember i spent shorter time in GoW2 i think lol.

ohye, one thing tho, i am kinda regret that i didnt get the pre-order version from amazon which comes with the 3 extra weapons!

liquid metal crystal viper is a nice touch! and i wonder why there is no citizen in this space colony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Loving this so far.

Also,
    the dancing robots around the huge transformer boombox? WTF?
    Very surreal and very funny.,

• Advertisement

A-Trak wrote: »
    Loving this so far.

Also,
    the dancing robots around the huge transformer boombox? WTF?
    Very surreal and very funny.,

That's a great scene alright.

I stood there for a while as I considered what the best and most stylish way to dispatch them all was :pac: Four slo-mo headshots is always a possibility :D

Challenge rooms are uber-hard. I keep getting to the end of the first one before being knocked out by that jetpacking bastard as he's on his final fifth of energy or so. I've pretty much perfected the techniques for getting rid of the other waves. Those big power back packs are just asking for an exploding :)

Challenge rooms are uber-hard. I keep getting to the end of the first one before being knocked out by that jetpacking bastard as he's on his final fifth of energy or so. I've pretty much perfected the techniques for getting rid of the other waves. Those big power back packs are just asking for an exploding :)

Challenge 4-6 are where the fun/rage really begin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

seraphimvc wrote: »
    i really want a PC port!! sega go publish a pc port pleaseeee!!!
    Your not the only one. I have no xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just finished it today. Really fun, though I enjoyed Bayonetta a bit more.

Just finished it today. Really fun, though I enjoyed Bayonetta a bit more.

Yeah Bayonetta is still my GOTY by a distance, but even as a 'lesser' Platinum game this is still miles ahead of the competition. Very different games at the end of the day, and I can't wait to see what they put out next. Also have to get cracking with Infinite Space - if there's one thing you can say about Platinum, it is that the output so far is a successfully varied bunch (well, after the slightly disappointing start with MadWorld anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

This is my GOTY. I finished it in two sittings over the weekend then started it again on hard. The amount of ways you can approach this game with each way making you look amazing is unbelievable.

The pre-order DLC weapons are supposed to be appearing on the psn and xbox live this week, for a small fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

(well, after the slightly disappointing start with MadWorld anyway)

I thought Madworld was awesome. Well, I did pay a fiver for it, so...

I'm looking forward to getting this anyway, some good reviews out there and here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

This is down to 35 quid in game. Picked it up in there today.
    Pretty quick price drop, must not be selling too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

EGriff wrote: »
    This is down to 35 quid in game. Picked it up in there today.
    Pretty quick price drop, must not be selling too well.

Nice one. That settles it!

Although I think HMV are giving away AVP with it for €45, in Blanch anyway. Is AVP worth a tenner, anyone?

Advertisement