Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanquish

Options
  • 07-08-2010 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-vanquish/702607

WOW WOW WOW.

Just Seen this Trailer and honestly never heard of the Game and took a look and its incredible.

Take a look guys.....

Leave your thoughts and words.....

P.s: My Thoughts well Robots Metal Gear Solid Voices and sort of Characters robots in space ahhhhh
    So So Cool What More could you want in a game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It couldn't have stole more from the "Mass Effect" look if it tried. Battle gameplay looks exactly the same.

Voice acting - is he trying to be David Hayter (solid snake) ?

And of course...quicktime events for no reason, yay !! :D

Won't be buyin this methinks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It really does look amazing and Shinji Mikami is attached to it, when has he been involved in a bad game?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

It's art style I've little interest in, the game certainly looks intense, I may change my tune closer to the date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I can take a guess now and say this will be nothing like mass effect. I'd say the story will be gloriously stupid and over the top as well as the action in the game. It's by the guy that gave us Resi 4 afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

Over the top ROBOTS IN SPACE OH YEAH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I saw the start of the trailer, and i thought 'oh great, another generic shooter in space'. Then i saw the gameplay, and it looks pretty awesome alright. Will keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I never said the story or setting will be anything similar to masseffect, but the battle scenes do look similar with the 3rd person over the shoulder cover system + futuristc weapons etc.

Trust me the gameplay will be nothing like Mass Effect. It's more a cross between Bayonetta and Resi 4 but with with more 'ridiculous'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I don't think it's fair to label the game as a Mass Effect clone gameplay wise just because it's third person over-the-shoulder. Have a look at this gameplay footage and you'll see how over the top and just plain fun the game looks, just like Bayonetta in that respect.

Speaking of Bayonetta, I just recently finished it and was blown away, easily up there amongst my favourite games ever. What makes it stand out most for me is how over the top and funny the story and characters were, but I'm not sure if Vanquish will retain that same sense of humour. Perhaps the gruff gravelly voiced 'Sam' in Vanquish is meant to poke fun at Gears etc? I'll be picking up Vanquish regardless, the gameplay certainly looks like it'd be very entertaining.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vanquish is a satire on Space Marine shooters. Shinji Mikami is a very clever guy and was helping out Suda 51 with No More Heroes 2 which is a satire on western open world games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

When the game was first revealed i thought it was a load of crap, now however i'm starting change my mind. Come on! Punching off a massive robot's head? Gaming gold right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You had me at Robots in Space.... but this is a console only title? Thats unbelievably lame.

edit: and i mean seriously now you got me thinking about this: no similar titles even exist for the PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

GothPunk wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to label the game as a Mass Effect clone gameplay wise just because it's third person over-the-shoulder. Have a look at this gameplay footage and you'll see how over the top and just plain fun the game looks, just like Bayonetta in that respect.

Speaking of Bayonetta, I just recently finished it and was blown away, easily up there amongst my favourite games ever. What makes it stand out most for me is how over the top and funny the story and characters were, but I'm not sure if Vanquish will retain that same sense of humour. Perhaps the gruff gravelly voiced 'Sam' in Vanquish is meant to poke fun at Gears etc? I'll be picking up Vanquish regardless, the gameplay certainly looks like it'd be very entertaining.

Bayonetta kicks so much ass. It's the one game this year I'd consider an out and out masterpiece - a superb blend of OTT action, humour and deep gameplay. If it wasn't for the dodgy story, I'd consider it perfect. One guy in work complained that it was too Japanese and button bashy - the first is a good thing, and the second means you're not playing it right! Did you play on hard yet? It gets better.

So I'm understandably excited about Vanquish - it looks as fun as Bayonetta. The setting I admit isn't inspired from the trailer, but the gameplay looks so exciting and visceral I couldn't care less. Bring it on, I'm ready for Platinum to reclaim another subgenre.

Did anyone really expect Bayonetta to have a story? It's not like any game in the genre had a decent storyline? I loved how awful the story is, it's hilarious how bad and over the top it is but it knows it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Did anyone really expect Bayonetta to have a story? It's not like any game in the genre had a decent storyline? I loved how awful the story is, it's hilarious how bad and over the top it is but it knows it!

Well some of the cutscenes are so ludicrous they are among gaming's best. But around the middle they are overlong and over complicated, so they do drag. It isn't like the storyline is the focus, so I don't consider it a major flaw - and it serves to move the game from one giddy setpiece to the next - but it is the closest thing to a criticism I have about the game.

But then you get to play again and all is instantly forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Its got an unlockable difficulty called God Hard, alluding to another game mikami did :)

Its also developed on the ps3, so no heavily inferior port this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I read a preview of this a good while back in Edge and have to say after seeing the gameply on vid for the first time I can see why they were hyping it up so much. This look like a hell of a lot of fun and the gameplay looks fantastic.

Bayonetta kicks so much ass. It's the one game this year I'd consider an out and out masterpiece - a superb blend of OTT action, humour and deep gameplay. If it wasn't for the dodgy story, I'd consider it perfect. One guy in work complained that it was too Japanese and button bashy - the first is a good thing, and the second means you're not playing it right! Did you play on hard yet? It gets better.
    I played it on Normal first and then went straight into a second playthrough on Hard when I finished it. It's on loan from a friend though so I'll have to buy it, it certainly deserves my monies. Dunno how someone could call it a button masher - if you're aiming for Platinum medals there's no way you could get them that way, but then I guess these kind of games always get called button mashers - I guess some people aren't bothered to learn a lot of combos and use all of the different weapons? I loved the Alfheim challenges, I struggled to beat a few of them at first but in the end they made me much better at the game.
    So I'm understandably excited about Vanquish - it looks as fun as Bayonetta. The setting I admit isn't inspired from the trailer, but the gameplay looks so exciting and visceral I couldn't care less. Bring it on, I'm ready for Platinum to reclaim another subgenre.
    The boss fights in Bayonetta were some of the best I've ever had the joy to play; from the gameplay video I posted I'm assuming Vanquish will be somewhat similar in that respect. I mean, throwing a missile back at an enemy? That's some over-the-top goodness right there. I have been playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 lately, and whilst I enjoy the game a lot, it feels a bit tame in the action department. I think Bayonetta has spoiled me. If any shooter can deliver in that respect this year, it's probably going to be Vanquish.
    It's perfectly executed I think, it's awful on purpose, instead of trying too hard to be deeply dark and gritty they went in the opposite direction and I really respect them for doing that. I'm not sure I've laughed so much at a game before. Bayonetta is really quotable as well, some of the things she comes out with still crack me up playing it again. Whilst I love seeing developers creating more serious and 'arty' games, getting better at pushing the medium every time, it's nice to have games like this that are pushing the medium in their own way creating these distilled action games that are incredibly fun to play.

I tell you what though: if this game had Konami written on it, I'd buy a PS3 in a minute.

Overheal wrote: »
    I tell you what though: if this game had Konami written on it, I'd buy a PS3 in a minute.
    Allergic to Sega or...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Yeah? Why's that?

GothPunk wrote: »
    Allergic to Sega or...?
    I just like Konami. They have a great track record for these type of games with the likes of Ace Combat and ZOE. If they were behind this I'd have no hesitations. As it stands though I am Not About the console generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

found that very meh

I just like Konami. They have a great track record for these type of games with the likes of Ace Combat and ZOE. If they were behind this I'd have no hesitations. As it stands though I am Not About the console generation.

Eh, doesn't the fact that practically all the members behind this game are former Capcom employees who are as good or arguably better than Konami at making the same type of action games? Ace Combat was also a Namco game.

Konami have been fairly poor lately. Other than Kojimas team they haven't really been producing the goods.

If Im to be honest I dont often hold much regard (neither high nor low) for Capcom games. Megaman games are enjoyable and made up my childhood but when I think of ZoE2 and Ace5 its just a whole other experience. Uber-weaponry, quick reflexes, 1:100 enemy ratios and all that fate of the world backdrop.

BTW if Kojima is working on something it better be ZoE3

edit: Bah!

Again Ace Combat is Namco!

I love ZOE2 but capcom has way more games in the genre that are just as good. Resi 4, DMC1 and 3, Dino Crisis 2, Viewtiful Joe and many more. Capcom is well able to do a ZOE type game and do it well. Anyway this looks more like Resi 4 mixed with Bayonetta and who better to have behind it than the creator of Resi 4 and Bayonetta!

Don't know how anyone can think Capcom are anything less than a brilliant developer, they seem to be the only Japanese company that is relevant and making a rake of great games while in the last few years Konami has given us... well Peace Walker and the awful MGS4.

Mikami did resi 4, kamiya did bayonetta.....

bugs wrote: »
    Mikami did resi 4, kamiya did bayonetta.....

And both are working on this game, kamiya to a lesser extent, and shinji mikami had his hand in DMC1 and 3 which bayonetta was basically a refinement of.

shinji mikami had his hand in DMC1 and 3 which bayonetta was basically a refinement of.

So that would make him not the creator of bayonetta.

• Advertisement

Never said he was, well maybe i should have said creators.

Advertisement