Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanquish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What was that directed at? Shinji Mikami has an solid history... :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinji_Mikami#Works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

New 'challenge' demo today on the japanese PSN. No idea what it entails but i'm told its online now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

bugs wrote: »
    New 'challenge' demo today on the japanese PSN. No idea what it entails but i'm told its online now.

Excellent! If only the wonderful Japanese PSN was the default for us!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just played the new demo, tis great! Pure combat, and hard as hell to boot. Get a chance to try out new weapons. Basically fighting increasingly tricky waves as fast as you can. Wave 4 kicked my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Just played the new demo, tis great! Pure combat, and hard as hell to boot. Get a chance to try out new weapons. Basically fighting increasingly tricky waves as fast as you can. Wave 4 kicked my ass.

I take it it's in japenese? :P

I'd need to download to old one again just to familiarize myself with the controls in english :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So is it anyway attached to the main game or is it more like a side-option, challenge rooms to test you against various types of enemies?

The challenge demo is hard as nails, which is a good thing. Completed it with a pretty woeful overall time of around 15 minutes.

I take it it's in japenese? :P

I'd need to download to old one again just to familiarize myself with the controls in english :P

Actually, bar the pre title disclaimers, everything (controls menu and all - thank **** I was able to map aim and shoot controls to the back triggers!) is in English, which oddly seems to be a trend in most Japanese action games! I have a few other PS1 schmups and the likes off Japan PSN, and almost all of them are English :pac: Of course the problem is finding them in the first place! If you're downloading this, I think you just need to go the second menu option in the store and find the Vanquish picture.
    Gunmonkey wrote: »
    So is it anyway attached to the main game or is it more like a side-option, challenge rooms to test you against various types of enemies?

Yeah I'm guessing that's what it is. This is just straight menu > game, but I'd say this is the 'score attack' mode.

If your ps3 is set for english language, the demo is in english, if its set to japanese, the demo is in japanese.

Bayonetta was the same, the final game was identical irregardless of region.

Main character shouting out
    "CHEAP ****ING TOY"
    when you kill a robot = win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Game is out today week, game play demo is up on xbox live. The Demo is awesome, it's like when you see crazy battle cut-scenes where there's a thousand things going on at once, it feels like you actually get to play in one of those cut-scenes, of course not as intense but the game is just mad and insanely fast (think it's supposedly the fastest FPS game ever made). Was so much fun to play the demo, the only problem and to be fair it's a bit of a major one is that there is no online play. Which seems like a right shame and a bit of a missed opportunity. Well worth checking out the demo for any people into their shooters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I played the demo for this one on Live a few weeks back, and thought it was pretty enjoyable. Not really my kinda game, as it reminds me too much of an over-caffinated Gears Of War, but good fun none the less. I might pick it up for a playthrough when it becomes cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I have this pre-ordered ,cant wait for it. I haven't bought a game in a few months.

In the hype about other, less important games such as Medal of Honour and Fallout (pfft :pac:) we can't let the impending Friday launch of Vanquish go without fanfare :)

Only a handful of early reviews, and from untrustworthy sites such as IGN (pfft :pac:), but early word seems positive. Hopefully the reviews will begin flooding in tomorrow when it launches in the States!

Anyway, I eagerly anticipate Shinji Mikami reclaiming the shooter. I fear the campaign will be uber short (4-6 hours according to one review :eek:) but the joy shall be in perfecting this game.

Well IGN said that the learning curve was too steep for them (surprise surprise). So i'm expecting that the reputable gaming sites will give it a decent 9+.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well IGN said that the learning curve was too steep for them (surprise surprise). So i'm expecting that the reputable gaming sites will give it a decent 9+.

Surprise surprise. The same idiots that gave deadly premonition and godhand 3/10.

I've heard word from some one playing it that it's far and away their game of the year. Time to get excited folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

A 4/5 Hour Campaign is lousy.I don't care if they've Challenge Rooms or replayabity its not good enough. Even Cod offers more than that & its got Multiplayer (something I don't use due to having no Live/Psn).I may pick this up cut price only after reading better reviews than ign.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/vanquish/critic-reviews

Looking good! Definitely short, but all signs point to "win".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

new vegas and this vanquish game friday im so excited lol i just creamed meself:o

demo for vanquish was very good too imo..

gamestop gimmee back my money:mad: ffs

4 massive titles within 5 weeks?????????

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

These 4-5 hour games make me think i need to get my Chartbusters account sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread renamed (since we're well past the trailer stage!)
    Definitely renting this for the long weekend.....

Vanquish or new vegas.... Vanquish or new vegas... *head explodes*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

the 4/5 hours review was because they are on easy mode lol plat studio released an official response saying they are awed by how fast they beat the game(we all know the reviewers sux in action games). ign said it took them 7hours right? more accurate as i expect.

also,folks, this game has no repetitive stuffs in it at all, according to some people who finished it already....(and hence people think it is short, they want more!) i am sure some dlc will be coming in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Mr E wrote: »
    Thread renamed (since we're well past the trailer stage!)
    Definitely renting this for the long weekend.....
    Yeah, this is very much seeming like a rental for me.

seraphimvc wrote: »
    the 4/5 hours review was because they are on easy mode lol plat studio released an official response saying they are awed by how fast they beat the game(we all know the reviewers sux in action games). ign said it took them 7hours right? more accurate as i expect.

also,folks, this game has no repetitive stuffs in it at all, according to some people who finished it already....(and hence people think it is short, they want more!) i am sure some dlc will be coming in future.

Platinum games generally don't offer DLC on their games, perhaps mikami will change this but its not looking likely from the official forums.
    From what i've read, 6.5 hours is about average if you're capable enough at the game. Even though i'd hope the game is fantastic, 6-7 hours on a first play through is pretty poor value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

is there challenge rooms for this game or just the single play, fighting a wave of enemies to beat your friends high score be pretty cool when the stroy mode is beat

is there challenge rooms for this game or just the single play, fighting a wave of enemies to beat your friends high score be pretty cool when the stroy mode is beat

There is indeed, and going by the Japanese challenge room demo, they're going to be bastard hard.

The length is definitely a shame though, considering a first play through of Bayonetta was 10 hours plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i did see somewhere the developers said it was a nightmare to make this game , maybe for whatever reason they made this game only 5-6 hours long, if the singleplayer throughout is engaging people are gonna play it over and over again. only thing i wish they did was make it have online would seem like the perfect game for it

Unfortunately theres only 6 challenge rooms.
    Overall the game is lacking in content, compared to bayonetta which was loaded with it. Seems a shame as competent reviews and people online are raving about the gameplay.

I'm hoping theres a stack of DLC, but i'm not holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Advertisement