Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanquish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

WOW WOW WOW.

??? You only just discovered games? Nothing about that looks particularly wow. Possibly fun for a small bit but very far from wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

Wowtastic well looking at the game trailer.

It reminds me of the metal gear end boss of the metal gear 2.

The Game looks like a lot of fun and is playable can't believe its getting bad hype on here.

Wait till its released and people will go crazy for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Unfortunately people will probably not go crazy for it. Platinium seem to have a knack of making truely brilliant games that just don't sell as well as you would think (at least over here).

I have no doubt that it will be fantastic, in as far as i have no doubt it'll be slated by a high number of people for either being too hard or a clone of gears/halo/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

dont worry for the copycat issue from Platinum caused' the guys behind the team is all about innovation!well, in the worst case, we will have the ultimate version of gears/halo:D

and judging from the artwork of Vanquish, they really want the cake from US/EU market!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a demo of this knocking about on US Xbox Live as far as I can gather. It's meant to be on PSN too, but I've checked the US and Japanese stores and can't see it :( Too much hassle to set up a US Xbox account, so hoping it'll be up during the PSN upgrade tomorrow afternoon *fingers crossed*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's only up for gold account members but should be on PSN soon.

Played it last night 3-4 times.

Had been looking forward to it, and it doesn't disappoint.
    Same as the E3 demo, single area, lots of cover, weapons and bots with which to try out sams abilities.

Its nothing that unique but the boost mechanic and all the polish platinum games have put into it definitely works well. Boosting into cover, bounding over a wall and pounding a bot in the face is very amusing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fantastic demo! I think Gears of War on speed is a fair description. It's a cover based shooter redefined - whereas most feature lumbering, heavy combat, this is extremely agile. Boosting up to an enemy and doing a cartwheel melee against it is ludicrously satisfying. The 'witch time'-esque slowdown is a bit more awkward to pull off, but works that way as it seems to be something to use only when you really need it. Boss fight may be the old 'shoot the weak point' kind of thing, but boosting out of the way as he fires a giant laser gives it an edge.

I loved it, can't wait for the full game now!

Stuff i've come across so far:

The bots can grab you which requires you to wiggle the analogue stick left/right, resulting in the grab being reversed and sam ripping them in half :)

The large shells fired by the boss can be kicked away, the timing seems a bit insane but it looks great.

Using the time mechanic after a dash kick freezes you half way through the backflip letting you unload on whatever you just put your boot into, particularly handy for the large bot on the stairs.

(I'm sure everyones seen this one) - Lighting up a cig while in cover and tossing it causes the enemy to target it as a heat source.

Just fantastic, i can see myself playing this endlessly when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Rocket-powered knee-slides = WIN!!!!

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Definitely elements of mass effect / halo / gears even. Nice to see the "SEGA" attached to something that looks cool! Story will be terrible. Japanese game stories are always terrible. /shield on. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes but like all Mikami games, it will be gloriously terrible!

Amazon says the full thing is out on October 22nd - I thought it was going to be much later than that! Definitely going to give this another couple of gos tonight, fair ****s to the Platinum if they manage the two best games of the year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

bloody hell this game on this thread is getting a lot of bad feedback.

if this was released the same time as metal gear solid 2

People would have eaten it up.

I think there is so many games these days that we can complain.

Look at all the responses from people that played it, not exactly bad coverage :)

Demo seems to be practically identical on both platforms so no Bayonetta level of ****ness on the PS3 this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vanquish-demo-showdown-blog-entry

The Digital Foundry showdown. (Demo Showdown ;))

Will play this on monday, when i'm back home with unlimited download :o

bloody hell this game on this thread is getting a lot of bad feedback.

if this was released the same time as metal gear solid 2

People would have eaten it up.

I think there is so many games these days that we can complain.

:confused:

Personally, this has moved right up to my most anticipated game. That and Rock Band 3 in a short period of time will make for a fun end of October!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

is bayonetta really that good? didnt pick it up dont know why really??? so its defo good?

If you like that sort of game then yes! It's the best game in it's genre. It's basically like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden but way better. It's a bit like God of War but GoW is more of a dumb button masher with great spectacle whereas Bayonetta is more about mastering its excellent combat system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you like that sort of game then yes! It's the best game in it's genre. It's basically like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden but way better. It's a bit like God of War but GoW is more of a dumb button masher with great spectacle whereas Bayonetta is more about mastering its excellent combat system.
    love that kinda game will pick this up so just gotta find it cheap now lol.. thanks retro

is bayonetta really that good? didnt pick it up dont know why really??? so its defo good?

It's pretty much the best action game available at the moment IMO! It's OTT, the humour is weird and everything pretty silly. But it's so much fun, the combat system is ridiculously deep, the set pieces extraordinary. It lets you play the parts other games show you in cutscenes. As said above, if you're a fan of DMC and all it is a must buy.

If you liked God of War, then this is that with all the scale and a vastly more rewarding combat system. That series gets all the kudos, but Bayonetta shows it up in almost all regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Tried the Vanquish PS3 demo, and I have to say I was impressed. I had very little interest in this game before the demo, and its now a must buy for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eastinflatable

I never said the story or setting will be anything similar to masseffect, but the battle scenes do look similar with the 3rd person over the shoulder cover system + futuristc weapons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Played the Demo today. Have been looking forward to this one for a while. It's very good and enjoyable but I don't think it'll be a release day buy for me. I reckon it'll be down to €20 after a few weeks, can't see it setting the world on fire in a release period with the new CoD, MoH and Halo Reach coming out within a few weeks of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Jusy played the demo, bloody amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A bit too much going with the HUD is about the only fault I could pick and that's being very, very picky. Pretty stunned at how good it is, really came out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Finally got around to playing it there, it's ****ing great. Bayonetta meets Gundamn meets Kratos on crack meets more awesome. Day one purchase for me.

Also Overheal, if you want to know why it's not coming to PC, check out some of the comments on the Steam forum...
    >japanese
    >shooter

Oh so it won't be any good.
    looks like your typical japanese game
    It's way too Japanesey for me. I really hate that kind of design with the scrolling text to describe stuff.
    At least they're not hating for no reason...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It really does look amazing and Shinji Mikami is attached to it, when has he been involved in a bad game?

9sqwr8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just tried the demo...game had me when the boss
    transformed

Advertisement