Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Ray and Karl are gentlemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

This week of training is/will be a washout. The JB household is in a very sad place this week. Our family dog Trixie had to be put down yesterday at the Vets after her health had deteriorated over the last while. One of the hardest things i have had to do, that is until i had to tell the kids after school that there doggie was gone.

We have had her for 17 years and both I and Mrs JB found her back in Xmas 1997 after we met earlier that year. Needless to say there have been lots of tears, in particular the eldest two who have grown up with her around the house and have a special bond over the years.

Finding it hard myself to function normally this week, it’s just a horrible thing to go through and when you see the state the kids get into its extra tough. Those that have dogs will understand and those that do not will likely not understand and wonder what all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

So sorry to hear about your doggie. I don't know how we would cope if anything happened our dog. They really are part of the family. My thoughts are with you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Sorry to hear about your dog JB, know exactly how you feel, same happened to us last year, she was 13 years with us, felt like loosing a family member, we have a new dog but it doesn't feel quiet the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sorry to hear that JB. My own mut turns 10 next week which they say is old for a boxer but not stopping this one yet and hopefully she gets close to 17! Serious age for a doggie! With how's she's treated she has no excuse not to (pic to prove it!)!!

• Advertisement

Pmaldini wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your dog JB, know exactly how you feel, same happened to us last year, she was 13 years with us, felt like loosing a family member, we have a new dog but it doesn't feel quiet the same...
    This is the thing, it is like losing a family member, strange I know. I was asked would I not get another and to your point above I don't think it would ever be the same .
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that JB. My own mut turns 10 next week which they say is old for a boxer but not stopping this one yet and hopefully she gets close to 17! Serious age for a doggie! With how's she's treated she has no excuse not to (pic to prove it!)!!

Love your dog, if you look after them well it certainly helps. 17yrs is a serious age alright.

Forgot to mention,
    Trixie had gone deaf & blind recently but yesterday morning before the Vets I witnessed her walk into each of the kids bedrooms standing still for a minute or two before moving to the next bedroom...almost like saying goodbye, eerie but beautiful at the same time. Then coming into me and laying on my lap for half hour.

Man I am going to miss this dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oh, jb...I am so sorry. Hubby is a veterinarian, and just this morning a dear client had to let go of their beloved dog too....and today is Thanksgiving here. There were many tears in our office. Pet are family, no doubt....and with kids, there can be such a special and strong bond. I am thinking of you and yours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah dude you're making me cry here...so, so sorry for you all. :(

Remember how awful it felt when we had to let the dog I grew up with go. I can still see her that morning as I sat in the front garden with her - I didn't want another one, a couple of months later I had two lovely puppies and now I've 3 mutts! Such great animals to rare kids around.

17 is such a great age, you're so lucky to have her around that long. Mine are nearly 13...so your story scares the bejaysus out of me! :(

Well what a **** week the past week was, only managed 4 spins and my heart was not really in any of them, although i enjoyed the weekly coffee ride.
    Hopefully things start to get back to some normality this week.
    Block 3 starts from today, this is the last block before things really start to get interesting.

Week 9
    Just shy of 7hrs and 202kms for the week. I expect it will take me a tough session or two to get back into the swing. 4x11 BG around 260-270w & below 50rpm tonight to kick off with.

I have given next season some thought and what i want to try and target and achieve with the main objective to enjoy myself with no pressure like i did this year.

Personal goals
    Obtain enough points for A2
    Podium in a race, a win would be a bonus
    Top 10 in GC in a stage race, top 5 would be a bonus
    In shape to hold 5w/pkg by Ras Mumhan
    Get ready for RAS2016

Target races (plenty others i will race)
    Des Hanlon - March
    Ras Mumhan 4 day - April
    Louth RR Champs - May
    National RR Champs - June
    Suir Valley 3 day - August
    Newry 3 day - August
    Wexford 2 day - August
    Charleville 2 day - Sept (season end)

So the season will likely see me trying to be in peak shape for Ras Mumhan and then look to be in reasonable shape for August as some big races on that month with potentially 3 stage races. All of the above is based on this years calendar so dates may change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Hope to join you at a few of those stage races. Have to take a look at the calander myself but would hope to return to Wexford anyway

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you guys dare to come down here without saying hello, I will find you.... and I will....

...make you buy me coffee.

Mon 1st
    45min easy lunchtime spin

BG Session - PM
    Thought it was 4x11min but in fact I had changed it it to 3x12min with 3min recovery, below 50rpm and around 260-270w steady effort. Efforts were handy enough if a little boring, 265,270,276w and hr 160-2 on all of them. Another solid session.1hr,241wAP,260wNP,62rpm

Tues 2nd
    Lunchtime spin and 22km commutes (bloody freezing)
    Had planned doing a VO2 session but was late by the time I got myself sorted so will reshuffle week around.

Wed 03rd
    3hr silly o clock spin with 3x20 threshold efforts
    Day off today so decided to extend today's ride and get some work in having missed last nights VO2 session. Done 1 effort as I joined Liam and the other 2 after. Could not control or hit the 295w I was aiming for. Still 282w, 287w and 293w for the last one. All well doing a 3hr fasted ride but doing it with some work all I could thing about was food on the last effort. 2:58, 81.2kms, 216wAP/229wNP

Mon 1st
    BG Session - PM
    Thought it was 4x11min but in fact I had changed it it to 3x12min with 3min recovery, below 50rpm and around 260-270w steady effort. Efforts were handy enough if a little boring, 265,270,276w and hr 160-2 on all of them. Another solid session.1hr,241wAP,260wNP,62rpm

Hi JB, curious about session above, obviously good for building strength but I have been told when doing BG session not to drop cadence below 60 as it is bad for knees, do you think I have been given the wrong info and would I be better going below 50 to help build strength which I really need to do?

Pmaldini wrote: »
    Hi JB, curious about session above, obviously good for building strength but I have been told when doing BG session not to drop cadence below 60 as it is bad for knees, do you think I have been given the wrong info and would I be better going below 50 to help build strength which I really need to do?

Thats a sweeping statement of not going below 60rpm, everyone is different. Given the high torque nature of BG work it can load up the knees so they are right on that front.

There is no set cadence number one should try hit on BG work as everyone is different, 50rpm works for me where as 60 or 70rpm works for others. My normal self selected cadence can range from 75-80rpm so i generally do not spin as much as others. I have read of 45-75rpm being suggested which in itself is a wide range. It's not that 50rpm is better than 60rpm and there are other things to consider,

1. Whatever cadence is selected for BG work the main thing to keep an eye out for is knee pain as they can tend to load up the knees as its high torque work. I would also ensure cleats are in good knick so there is no play between shoe and pedal.
    2. Good form is important during BG intervals, staying seated, keeping the hips stable and having good alignment through the entire pedal stroke. It should be smooth & controlled not ragged!
    3. Intervals should be done below threshold, generally 90% of FTP, if not using power then about 8-10bpm off your FTHR. They should feel comfortable enough, in fact boring at times:)
    4. Cadence is an individual thing, there is not one number that works for everyone. Some will have a great aerobic system and can spin a high cadence for hours or others can have good leg strength (i fall into this category) and can/will push a bigger gear.

As a matter of interest what is your normal selft selected cadence when out cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Thats a sweeping statement of not going below 60rpm, everyone is different. Given the high torque nature of BG work it can load up the knees so they are right on that front.

There is no set cadence number one should try hit on BG work as everyone is different, 50rpm works for me where as 60 or 70rpm works for others. My normal self selected cadence can range from 75-80rpm so i generally do not spin as much as others. I have read of 45-75rpm being suggested which in itself is a wide range. It's not that 50rpm is better than 60rpm and there are other things to consider,

1. Whatever cadence is selected for BG work the main thing to keep an eye out for is knee pain as they can tend to load up the knees as its high torque work. I would also ensure cleats are in good knick so there is no play between shoe and pedal.
    2. Good form is important during BG intervals, staying seated, keeping the hips stable and having good alignment through the entire pedal stroke. It should be smooth & controlled not ragged!
    3. Intervals should be done below threshold, generally 90% of FTP, if not using power then about 8-10bpm off your FTHR. They should feel comfortable enough, in fact boring at times:)
    4. Cadence is an individual thing, there is not one number that works for everyone. Some will have a great aerobic system and can spin a high cadence for hours or others can have good leg strength (i fall into this category) and can/will push a bigger gear.

As a matter of interest what is your normal selft selected cadence when out cycling?

I would add (if you dont mind) having a few years base cycling to ensure the ligaments have enough strength to do big gear work, seen many cyclist do BG work way too early and feckup their knees (not that this applies to Pmaldini)

Thanks JB, I think I will play around a bit with the BG cadence and see what is comfortable, My normal cadence is 95-100 rpm when out and about. I am looking to build strength over the next few months as that is my main problem, I can spin away for hours but as soon as the bigger gears come in my legs are not strong enough to hold it for long.
    I injured my ankle a few weeks back on the mountain bike and can't road cycle for a few months due to an avulsion fracture just below the ankle, I have no problem using the turbo as once my foot is locked in I can work away, I can't chance the road because if I have to get shoe off cleat quickly I will only do further damage!!
    Can I be a little bold and ask you to recommend a few good turbo sessions? I would be very grateful.

BennyMul wrote: »
    I would add (if you dont mind) having a few years base cycling to ensure the ligaments have enough strength to do big gear work, seen many cyclist do BG work way too early and feckup their knees (not that this applies to Pmaldini)

You've seen my legs! There's more meat on a chickens:D

Thurs 04th
    ***BREAKTHROUGH SESSION***
    First time ever holding over 300w for the hour which confirms its the strongest i have ever been on the bike. Session was 5x5 v02 efforts building from 310w to 350w (105% to shy of 120%). Followed up by 5x1min @ 400w with 1min off 220w.
    The last two 5min efforts really hurt, but the 1min efforts on/off were equally as bad on fatigued legs. I would be lying if i did not declare that i gunned it at 380w for the last 2 mins of the warm down to get the session up over the 300w mark. I have been at 298w before (back in 2012 for Roth) but that was only based off a 20min test at .95 which in hindsight was never a true reflection of my FTP at the time.
    I should fall out with Mrs JB more often as this was an angry hobbit fuelled turbo session....we were friends again by the time this session was done:)
    1.02, 273w AP, 302w NP

Fri 05th
    Up early and on the turbo for an hour spinning. Really felt last nights session in the legs but felt better getting off the turbo than getting onto it.
    1hr 175w easy pedal.

Sat 06th
    Day off recovering from an all day work event on Fri. Missed my usual morning cycle along with coffee & scone.

Sun 07th
    4hr turbo
    With Michelle away with the girls and me at home with the boys i had no other option but for a long turbo. Watched Expendables 3 and Need for Speed (popcorn movies) on a great quality HD site which passed the time. Threw in 4x10min SS efforts at 270w just to break up the boredom.
    4hrs, 131kms, 215wAP/226wNP

Week 10
    Good week overall with a breakthrough session thrown in there. Need to look at possibly changing FTP again to keep sessions relevant. I know its going to get much tougher to get further gains and they will be hard fought. Still, another 12 weeks of decent training and who knows what sort of shape i can be in for race season, after all numbers matter not a jot...."its all about the race, about the race, no bother"!!
    Need to keep an eye on a head cold and my HRV was a good bit lower than normal this morning so just need to be careful.
    395kms
    838tss

Mon 8th
    40min lunctime easy spin

PM - BG 3x13min
    Late getting to this as i was doing testing with a client. 3x13 went 274w/48rpm, 273w/49rpm, 278w/50rpm for the 3. Legs felt fine but breathing a bit laboured with head cold. Session was fine but tired heading to bed.
    1hr, 244wAP, 254wNP

Tues 9th
    Tempo lunchtime session
    Just a wam bam thankyou mam sort of session. 10 easy, 30 tempo and 10 easy. Tempo was at 268w although a lot of stop/starting in that. Wind was a killer.

Wed 10th
    2hr pre work ride
    Wind would cut you in half this morning, slow cycle but did have a decent tailwind from Slane back to Drogheda. Head cold still there and noticed it on a few drags as i was huffing & puffing.
    1:58, 50.4kms, 25.6kmph:(189w

Handy evening planned for tonight and will see about the V02 session scheduled Thurs eve.

What time do you start at to do a 2 hour pre-work ride? I struggle to fit in a 60/70 min pre-work run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Mon 8th
    40min lunctime easy spin

PM - BG 3x13min
    Late getting to this as i was doing testing with a client. 3x13 went 274w/48rpm, 273w/49rpm, 278w/50rpm for the 3. Legs felt fine but breathing a bit laboured with head cold. Session was fine but tired heading to bed.
    1hr, 244wAP, 254wNP

Tues 9th
    Tempo lunchtime session
    Just a wam bam thankyou mam sort of session. 10 easy, 30 tempo and 10 easy. Tempo was at 268w although a lot of stop/starting in that. Wind was a killer.

Wed 10th
    2hr pre work ride
    Wind would cut you in half this morning, slow cycle but did have a decent tailwind from Slane back to Drogheda. Head cold still there and noticed it on a few drags as i was huffing & puffing.
    1:58, 50.4kms, 25.6kmph:(189w

Handy evening planned for tonight and will see about the V02 session scheduled Thurs eve.

Ever think about the alternative BG work?

20-30/40 seconds well above FTP?

tunney wrote: »
    Ever think about the alternative BG work?

20-30/40 seconds well above FTP?

I will be doing BG rolling/short efforts as part of longer rides but not planning to do them at that intensity.
    Will be doing a lot of work at 130%+ after Xmas. BG work will start to reduce come Jan time.

What time do you start at to do a 2 hour pre-work ride? I struggle to fit in a 60/70 min pre-work run!

6am and rolling out the door....get up earlier so:)

6am and rolling out the door....get up earlier so:)

I get up at 6:30 to run as it is. To do a pre-work turbo and still make it to work I'd have to get up at 5:30, that's just crazy.

I get up at 6:30 to run as it is. To do a pre-work turbo and still make it to work I'd have to get up at 5:30, that's just crazy.

5am starts to get swimming before work here. HTFU!
    :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RJM85 wrote: »

6:45am alarm to swim before work suddenly feels like a lie-in :pac:

How do you do a days work after that?! Are ye not falling asleep at your desk by lunchtime?

How do you do a days work after that?! Are ye not falling asleep at your desk by lunchtime?

Out for a run at lunch;D

I'm usually in bed by 9:30

Out for a run at lunch;D

My issue is i do not get going to bed until 11 or 12. All you fundalk lads must like your bed, my eldest lad stays up later than you:)

• Advertisement

Out for a run at lunch;D

I'm still in the pool at that time at least nights a week! and would still be on the turbo(if I used it ;)) at that time or still preparing post turbo/swim dinner at that time.

Dunno how JB does it off such little sleep. Usually be 11 - 12 by the time I'm winding down - could be after 1 by the time I actually get to sleep! So even 6:30 can be a stretch...interesting however to see how different people manage their time.

Trying to figure out how I could fit a pre-work turbo into my life and can't see it happening because of the work commute. Trying to figure out a way to fit in a decent pre-work spin that could finish at the office and not impact other training...out of ideas though :D

Advertisement