Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

mossym wrote: »
    how do you find these spins JB? I'm contemplating trying to get one of my midweek spns in early in the morning in the dark, can drive out to the N7(pretty wide hard shoulder all the way) and do an hour to 90 minutes with lights, little nervous about it though.

They are good for the soul. They are kept easy, apart from one b1tch of a climb. Its a nice way to get 2hrs and more miles in the legs midweek and nice knowing you have your trianing done for the day.

Good set of lights front/back and a hi vis and you will be fine. Makes it easier to get up if you arrange to meet someone out on the road!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is Dolan doing just cycling now too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭LCD

Is Dolan doing just cycling now too?

Small bit of spelunking and tiddly winks on the side, but mostly bike riding. also coaching with A1Coaching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I'm contemplating trying to get one of my midweek spns in early in the morning in the dark, can drive out to the N7(pretty wide hard shoulder all the way) and do an hour to 90 minutes with lights, little nervous about it though.

That's a fine safe road in the dark mossym. The Wheelers do a night time cycle along there every tuesday night with lights. I've cycled myself along there in the dark, no bother with the right lights.

I would not recommend being out there at the same time as solobally8 if you fear for your safety already :P

• Advertisement

I would not recommend being out there at the same time as solobally8 if you fear for your safety already :P

Ha ha good one!! :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pot_Kettle_Black_Web.jpg

LCD wrote: »
    Small bit of spelunking and tiddly winks on the side, but mostly bike riding. also coaching with A1Coaching

I had to google spelunking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I had to google spelunking!

Obviously not a Batman fan!! :(

Thurs 23rd - V02 session, 5x4mins @ 115%FTP.
    A repeat of last weeks VO2 session as i was not happy progressing until each rep was consistent and i am hitting the required numbers. For comparison last week started off at 315w and tailed off to 305w and they felt horrible. This week whilst they still felt tough (as they should) power was higher and consistent around 115% of FTP, 322w, 320w, 320w, 321w, 318w. Also 4x1mins Z6 thrown in, 360w, 360w, 364w, 364w.
    55mins - 239wAP/272wNP

Fri 24th - 1hr pre work spin
    It was raining but happy out before work, until i got hit by a small van. Got away unscathed with just a sore wrist and a few bumps.
    Thats one less of my 9 lives left!
    1.02, 29.2kms, 188w

Looking forward to a recovery week next week as i am ready for one.

• Advertisement

It was raining but happy out before work, until i got hit by a small van. Got away unscathed with just a sore wrist and a few bumps.

What? Hit by a small van! Yikes. More info please. Your hr must have spiked for that!

And more importantly how's the bike :D

Bloody motorists wha?!

1.02, 29.2kms, 188w

By inference, the driver didn't?

Solobally8 wrote: »
    What? Hit by a small van! Yikes. More info please. Your hr must have spiked for that!

Ah a guy the same age as my Dad did not see me on road and came out in front of me and I went over the bars, his bonnet and landed on the other side. Bar a sore wrist I got away lightly.
    Solobally8 wrote: »
    And more importantly how's the bike :D

It was the winter hack, bent shifter knocked back into place and a slight wobble on my front wheel, can't see anything else apart from a deflated front wheel on the way home tonight.
    AKW wrote: »
    By inference, the driver didn't?

No he was shook up by it, a gent and even though I wanted to have a good rant at him I actually felt sorry for him.

Fair play. Once you are alright and no more bones broken! Live to ride again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Glad. You're ok. Careful out there.

No he was shook up by it, a gent and even though I wanted to have a good rant at him I actually felt sorry for him.

Last time it happened to me I felt like hugging the poor woman. She was in some state. The cyclist is usually way cooler about it than the motorist. Generally because we just want to get back on the bike and get going again with none of this hold up. :)

Glad to hear you're OK!

Sat 25th Long Easy Bike - The body was stiff & sore all over the place after the crash, in particular wrist, hips and back all feiced.
    Kept the effort easy and stopped in a nice coffee shop in Slane.
    3.44, 186w, 97.3kms

Sun 26th 1.5hr turbo with 3x15min @ threshold. Very laboured effort from the off and i still felt wooden on the bike. Intervals hurt a little more than they should have but managed 281w,283w,279w for each. Glad of the recovery week as tired finishing this session.
    1.5hrs, 47.9kms, 233wAP/252wNP

Week 4 & block 1 complete
    Tired by the end of the week and ready for a nice recovery week with little or no intensity. All quality sessions hit but Sundays turbo sucked a little.
    After watching people fall apart and collapse in front of me at DCM yesterday i am glad i avoided it. It would have set my bike training back a few weeks with recovery etc.
    Block 1 done & dusted and it still feels like i am not doing much training:o.
    14hrs 06mins
    388.7kms
    10,479kj
    905tss

This recovery week is working out to be well timed, mental busy for the week. Zilch done the last two days but i hope to get out for a run at lunch for something different. The fact i have not ran in 101 days should make it interesting:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

t i hope to get out for a run at lunch for something different.

01ca095635d57ef43965c3c6a68707efae2aef8b28d24e8315d61a6ed9f7a7ef.jpg

01ca095635d57ef43965c3c6a68707efae2aef8b28d24e8315d61a6ed9f7a7ef.jpg

Trust me, the way my legs feel today after a 6k easy trot yesterday i will be selecting a different form of cross training:). Fitness is no issue but not using run specific muscles for a long time was an issue.

Easy pace was 5min ks which is ok i guess but legs feel awful today. I will be back to running/tri etc, don't get me wrong, but want to do a RAS first:)

Recovery week - Week 5
    7.5 lazy a$$ hours for the week. A very easy week which involved some cycling, some running and some hiking (read as got lost in a forest with Michelle).
    Had a great weekend away and the batteries are fully recharged for the next block of training. A nice 5x8min BG session on the menu tonight!

Mon 03rd - BG Turbo Session, 5x8mins seated, rpm 45-50
    Back into the swing of things after the recovery week. Found this a little tough after the easy week, power not hugely important on these but had to knock it off on the last two to ensure the full session got done, gone soft:p 273w/270w/279w/260w/263w.
    62mins,234wAP/248wNP

Tues 04th - V02 Turbo intervals, 6x4mins aiming for 115%FTP
    Change of schedule this week moving quality sessions around to allow for a day off at the weekends. I was unsure how the session would go and my normal advice would be allow an easy day in between quality sessions.
    Session went fine but the 4mins is gas craic, the first 2mins are free, 2-3mins you are working and the last minute time is going backwards:).
    Intervals came in 319w/318w/315w/317w/316w/322w so all consistent enough. Session finished off with some hard 30sec efforts on with 30sec easy.
    Guess i should really have a look at the current FTP again but i have a dislike to testing protocol for some reason!
    60mins, 252wAP/274wNP.

Wed 05th - 2hr pre work ride (usually easy)
    Part of my rescheduling now means i will only have 7-8hrs recovery between this ride and the Tuesday evening quality session, far from ideal and may need to look at it again. Simple solution would be to do that session early on Tues but i just cannot get it up in the mornings, power that is!
    Punctured just as i met Liam in Dunleer, think my front wheel is fvked after the crash. Quick change in brrrr cold conditions and we were off. Something was not right though, i was pushing 300+ watts for a few kms and huffing/puffing whilst Liam was tootling away. I was about to tell him to go ahead on his own when he heard a noise, my front wheel was not in right and it had been rubbing off the forks:o I am such a donkey! Quick readjustment and 120w less and everything was back to normal. Only getting warmed up now from all the stop/starting!
    1.52, 50.5kms, 223w

Nice evening off tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

So he was back being a donkey farmer again eh? :pac:

Anyone know a good site to buy inner tubes in bulk, talking 30, 50 or even a 100.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

my front wheel was not in right and it had been rubbing off the forks:o I am such a donkey!

did that for a group turbo one night,pre coach, where we were working off cadence only, no HR, no power, just hitting certain cadences in certain gear ranges for set times.

i could not understand why it was hurting so much. i was nearly falling off the bike towards the end, when i'd flown at it the week before.

only dismantling did i realise the back wheel was rubbing against the frame the whole time. half the rubber was gone, the frame rubbed smooth down to the aluminium. hell of a workout though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Anyone know a good site to buy inner tubes in bulk, talking 30, 50 or even a 100.

have you ever heard of patches
    are you are going to really use 30+ tubes (let alone 100) unless you puncture alot then look at your tyres :rolleyes:

BennyMul wrote: »
    have you ever heard of patches
    are you are going to really use 30+ tubes (let alone 100) unless you puncture alot then look at your tyres :rolleyes:

Never use patches, tend to throw tyre out after a puncture. Bought 50, kept 25 and sold on the other 25.

Some crap on the roads, was out in sh1tty weather this morning, Dolan punctured and about 500mtrs up the road I also punctured. That's 2 front and 1 back punctured in the last week. Tyres are decent enough as well, I think it's just the first few downfalls of rain washing grit onto the roads.

• Advertisement

Thurs 06th - 1.5hr kamikaze style tempo ride.
    Had 1.5hr planned on the turbo but ended up cycling home in pissing rain/cold and the thoughts of getting dry only to get on the turbo later that night were not appealing. Instead I spent 1.5hr out on the road doing the session, bloody fun in those elements.
    Came home and looked like I had done Paris Roubaix but at least I had it done. So much easier hitting the numbers on the road but harder to control the session with all the variables. About 40mins of efforts around SS at 250-260w.
    1.22, 39.8kms, 210wAP/227wNP.

Fri 07th - 1hr easy
    Extended commute home for an easy spin.

Sat 08th - 4hrs 3hrs easy spin
    Out at stupid o clock again, weather was to give cold and rain...some of us were dressed for the conditions and others were not:) Had planned on 4hrs but had to settle for 3hrs. Dolan punctured and i punctured shortly after close to home so just limped home and called it a day.
    Horrible conditions but character building all the same. The coffee shop in Slane is a must for anyone passing through, class.
    2.57, 76.8kms,177w

Sun 9th - A day off

Week 6
    1hr down against overall plan for the week but no biggie. Hit each of the quality sessions for the week but i did find it a challenge backing up Mon/Tue quality sessions with an early, longer spin on the Wednesday. Worth it though to have a day off at the weekend, really makes a difference. Hopefully the changed schedule will work.
    I had planned on formal testing this week but for now i am going off a 5% increase to my current FTP, increasing it to 295w to keep sessions relevant. I have been fairly close to my current FTP over hour long sessions along with them hovering close to 1.0 IF score so i think the increase is accurate and required to keep sessions relevant.
    This weeks sessions should push things that little bit more with the updated FTP.
    12hrs 24mins
    343.6kms
    7,792kj
    788tss

Advertisement